Rocky Mountain Cardiac Bike 1998 or Older

4.5/5 (14 Reviews)

Rocky Mountain Cardiac

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2007

Strengths:    Frame

Weaknesses:    Many of the parts

Bottom Line:
I've been riding and upgradeing this bike for years. I love it. I recently bought a new Voodoo full suspension XC frame and will be putting a lot of the parts on it. But I'm keeping the classic frame along with a matching pair of black Surly rigid forks to build up as a single speed city bike. The guys at my local bike store offered to take this classic frame off my hands, but I will never part with it. They don't make them like this anymore. Made in Canada, if you can imagine!

Purchased At:   Speed River Cycle in Guelph ON

Bike Setup:   Totally changed over since I bought it almost 10 years ago

Submitted by Benjamin a Cross Country Rider from P.R. B.C. Canada

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2003

Strengths:    strong frame
good value

Weaknesses:    parts tend to be on the low end
(brakes an levers)

Bottom Line:
iv had this bike for several years now and its been great, considered buying a new bike but decided to upgrade mine instead. Am in the middle of buying new parts but besides some of the parts being a bit cheap, easily fixable, overall though a great bike but what can i say its a Rocky Mountain, they rule!

Submitted by Saby R a Weekend Warrior from Halifax

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2002

Strengths:    Good quality and craftmanship, made in Canada (as opposed to some 3 rd world country...), very good feel and quite forgiving

Weaknesses:    Thisis a heavy bike,then again it is priced accordingly., The geometry make this bike ideal for touring, not to sure for hard X-country...

Bottom Line:
This is my girfried's bike, the good part of having a girlfriend how rides is that she ends up with my old XT stuff when I upgraded to XTR (she did not sems to mind...).
I have a full race ready RMB O2 Race and when I ride this one I can appreciate the differences, this bike is more comfortable to ride because it is way less stiff but on the other hand, built the way it is, it ride very comfortably and will deliver when asked to. The frame is made of Tange (high end cro-mo) which is the same as a Ritchey P23 (if i am not mistaken) and the Ricthey was twice as much (could well be a little bit lighter as well). Bottom line this is a great bike and mby yupgrading the stock part to XT, this bike can go almost anywhere (it's to heavy to by a good climber). I won't give it a full 5 chilis for overall rating because there are better out there (for way more $$ of course) but it is a solid 4...

Purchased At:   Pawn Shop!!!

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountian O2 Race

Bike Setup:   XT (V-Brack, shifter, lever, front and rear derailleur), Titec Big Al stem and enduro handle bar.

Submitted by jeff ward from surrey

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2001

Strengths:    This is still my first mountain bike, 1998 rocky mountain cardiac. I bought in late september and I am still driving it, Feb 6. I really have put alot of miles on this bike without one technical problem. I have upgraded a little, judy rock shox etc. I plan to ride it through the summer and see what happens. It has taken winter riding with no winterization, I mean the bike is solid.

Bottom Line:
If you are ready to become a 4 to 5 or maybe an every day rider this bike will never let you down. It isnt for the extreme downhill mountain biking but for the cross country tracks, and daily commutes to work it is the best bang for your buck!

Favorite Trail:   anything

Submitted by Travis a Downhiller from Langley, Bc, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2000

Strengths:    A good solid bike. The cro moly frame makes a stirty bike. Smooth.

Weaknesses:    Hard on the wrists when you go down techical trails. Can't replace rigid fork with AWESOME forks.

Bottom Line:
It's a god bike but I don't necissarily reccomend it for the hardcore rider. I have the santa cruz heckler. now theres a kickass bike!

Favorite Trail:   North Shore/Whistler mountain

Purchased At:   West Point Cycles

Submitted by jeremy a Cross Country Rider from edmonton, alberta, canada

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2000

Strengths:    light, precise shifting, very forgiving
a real pleasure to ride

Bottom Line:
Relatively new to mountain biking. Only had Canadian Tire Supercycles(real pieces if cra),to compare my Cardiac to.
But even so, WOW! I love this bike. Riding is a real pleasure.
I should add that this bike is second hand. It has upgraded brakes and Shimano xt gears. I paid $400 for it at a local bike shop. They even told me they would give me $300 to $400
when I'm done with it.
I'm no pro but I know a superior product.
Rocky Mountain rules.

Submitted by Y-US Rider a Weekend Warrior from Ontario

Date Reviewed: March 26, 1999

Strengths:
Canadian made
Good value

Weaknesses:
poor component

Bottom Line:
I missed my 1996 Cardiac! Anybody who owned one should keep it and buy another bike, but not sell or trade this one. I now owned a Gary Fisher Joshua X-0 (sold the Cardiac for $500), but I still think that the Cardiac was a better bike. It was a good single track bike, it climbs well and for the $$$$, you can't beat it. My only problem with this bike was that the handling seems to be squirrelly on a fast single track. You need to be very technical in order to control the flow. Overall, It was an excellent bike! I give this one a 5+!

Harwood Hills

2 Years

Specialized Hardrock
Rocky Mountain Fusion

RockShox Quad 5

Submitted by Champ a racer from Vernon, B.C

Date Reviewed: December 27, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have had my cardiac since '96 and have put suspension, clipless pedals, v-brakes and many other upgrades on it. It rides like a bike that is much more than this one cost. I have put this bike through hell and back, without a complaint, no dents, just scratches. In races, I have beat many people on $3000 dollar bikes, they no longer look at me like I am a looser because of my bike. They know I will kick their asses on the course. But alas, it is time for the trusty Cardiac to retire, as I will buy a Blizzard tomorow. Now that is one fine bike. I would recommend the Cardiac to any one who wants a decent bike that can take whatever the hell crap you put it through.

Submitted by Keith Whitham a weekend warrior from Toronto, ontario

Date Reviewed: October 23, 1998

Bottom Line:

Has completely outperformed my expectations. Paid less than $700 for this bike including tax, and have never had a minute's trouble with it. I mean nothing. It's had regualr maintenance and that's it. No complaints.This bike is solid as as rock, down to the paint job. I can take this thing over brutal terrain without any worries. I've been riding this bike since it first came out (without shocks) and it's bombproof. Great performance from my STX components and absolutely no issue with Alivio. New buyers, don't be fooled into thinking you need the very best of everything. This is an excellent bike for the money. I'd recommend it to any beginner rider, but if you think you'll do even moderote off-road stuff - get the shocks! If you're planning on buying a Fusion, why not get this bike instead, save yoursself some money, and upgrade in a few years? Don't know how much real difference in performance you're going to see. Maybe somebody has an opinion.That being said, not sure that you can expect the podium with this bike. I'm thinking of getting into racing so I may upgrade soon (the whole thing), but for everyone out there, just remember that for the most part, it's the rider not the equipment!

Submitted by dan howard a cross-country rider from ont., canada

Date Reviewed: August 29, 1998

Bottom Line:

This tore up the f*cking course. It's so amazing for it price. The only thing I can complain about are the shocks. So I decided tp upgrade them to judy t2's. I give this bike five flame broiled chillies. I only had to shell out 8oo$ bucks (cdn.) Fortyeight fortynine fifty.

Submitted by Matt a racer from georgtown ontario

Date Reviewed: August 20, 1998

Bottom Line:

This bike is the best bike you can get for the money, cheap and light for a lower end bike, it's a good bike to start out on becouse if you crash on a tricky single track all you have to worry about is YOURSELF becouse rocky mountain makes VERY GOOD BIKES. but if you are a better rider you may want to upgrade to a shock and clipless pedals becouse clips and rigid are not the best, but for beginners it is a good bike.

Submitted by Jason Dettmer a downhiller from Canada

Date Reviewed: July 19, 1998

Bottom Line:

Not being a gore-texed body suited cycling nerd/parent's money poser I needed something reasonably that was a good quality machine. I think I have it with this bike as it is light, has good v-brakes and a good shifting system (though I had mine upgraded slightly). For some reason when pedalling uphill standing on the pedals it sometimes slips a bit on the rear gears. I've had it back to the shop several times but it always seems there. Otherwise a good bike for the money, especially when I compared it to riding some machines 2 or 3 X the cost.

Submitted by andy lam a weekend warrior from toronto, ontario

Date Reviewed: March 10, 1998

Bottom Line:

this is my first mountain bike, so i don't really have anything else to compare it to. but i know quality when i see it. entry level was what i was going for, with the ability to thrash it around without worrying about it. compared it with three or four other brands comparative models, and nothing could match it for quality and value. hand built wheels (my front and rear wheels were built by two different people) complete with personal signatures. and the bike comes with a quality control card with signatures of the people as they complete each stage of construction. nice touch. components are smooth. very happy with my purchase, and the shop i bought it from in downtown toronto. rocky mountain, mmmm yummy. (and built in canada) good stuff.

Submitted by Matt Schweigert a cross-country rider from Ont,Canada

Date Reviewed: March 1, 1998

Bottom Line:

I am a true Bum, meaning i do not think that one must spend their live savingson a bike to really rip and
see the light.The Cardiac is a sweet deal for the guy who wants to have some money left over for the
Kraft diners.It rides like a true singletrack machine should and at a very reasonable price.Only one
complaint and future upgrade I will make, the Alivio front derailleur is only adequate at best.However I
had this bike for a year now and I love it, and I will continue to kick some poser butt on it while they
attempt to ride their $3,000 bike.

What's a fair price for a Rocky Mountain Cardiac 1997?

Considering buying a Rocky Mountain Cardiac 1997 from some guy I don't know. I know this is a classic bike, and I loved the look of it. BUT I'm not good with technology, and I can't figure out if this bike has spent the last 13 years in someone's garage, or if it's been thrashed. The Rock Shox feel ... Read More »

Whats up with Cabrillo-Nisene "Cardiac Hill?"

A buddy and I tried riding a few weeks ago and the entire perimeter is fenced off with barbed wire. Evidently someone is developing the area -- anyone know if access to the Scout Trail will eventually be reopened?Read More »

...Cardiac ID ...

Hey - I was just given an older[B][I] Cardiac[/I][/B] - it was 2nd hand to my buddy & he doesn't really know much about the past history of the bike - he thinks he's had it for about 10 years - the bb is marked [B][I]CS195 & P96040841 [/I][/B]- the labels are 'stickers' not decals & do indicate that ... Read More »

Hawes Mudflaps (nee Cardiac) trail work needed

I went out today and checked out the whole hill. As others reported, definitely clean chunks have been taken out of some of the mudflap waterbars. Other spots have non-rock lines straight through them or go-arounds. This is blowing up the trail. The trail has gotten uniformly wider and of about ... Read More »

Mormon loop widdow maker/cardiac hill PSA

Now don't get all pissed off or feel accused that's not the intention at all... We all know this section of trail on SoMo is quite wide. I think it's wide because it's way steep and every time it rains any idea of where the line (for hiking or biking) is washed over by gravel and rubble. Again I'm ... Read More »