Ritchey Ultra Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.77/5 (13 Reviews)

Ritchey Team

Submitted by Elizabeth J. a Weekend Warrior from Pleasant Hill, CA

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2006

Strengths:    It's got to be the frame. I weighed mine and the scale says "25 lbs". I know it should be lighter than that. I added the Mr. Tuffy kevlar tire liner under my Ritchey Z-Max tires. That's where the extra weight came from.

Weaknesses:    Although Ritchey bikes are great quality bikes, there's not many dealerships that sell them due to it being so expensive.

Bottom Line:
I've had the bike for more than 5 years and the thought of selling my Ritchey Ultra never crossed my mind.

Favorite Trail:   Crystal Springs

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   1993 Grizzly

Bike Setup:   Shimano XT drivetrain, Ritchey front/rear brakes, GripShift, Ritchey barends,....still looking for a new suspension fork. Got any suggestions???

Submitted by Kristen Malaba a Cross Country Rider from Jersey City

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2000

Strengths:    Light, fast, built to last

Weaknesses:    Expensive and warranty problems

Bottom Line:
Great bike. Only wish the company would warranty it like they promise. Expensive for what you get, but it is light.

Five chillies in performance, one off for expensive, one more off for warranty problems

Favorite Trail:   City Rock Garden

Bike Setup:   Stock, marchozzi, XTR, RaceFace

Submitted by Jared a Weekend Warrior from La Honda,CA

Date Reviewed: May 29, 1999

Strengths:
liteweight
chromoly
beautiful

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike that i have thouroughly enjoyed. Only wish I had more time to ride. Climbs like a champ. Switched the rear to Ritchey speedmax, bike became faster without mush loss of grip. Highly recommended ( I bvelieve they have new versions out there, but a Ritcheys a Ritchey).

2 Years

Specialized

P-20
Judy SL
Ritchey WCS componants
Alpha,Omegabite tires

Submitted by Roarc a cross-country rider from SF Bay Area

Date Reviewed: February 27, 1999

Bottom Line:

I got my Ritchey Softtail a while ago, and I still love it. It came with the normal super light build, SRAM 9.0 shifters, King wheels on Mavic rims and Logic spokes, Judy Sl, Syncros stem, XTR this and that, and Logic this and that. This has got to be one of the best bikes that i ever ridden, not just owned. I came close to geting a Moots but I am a steel lover at heart so I got the Ritchey because he makes the best steel rides around...also because he is local. The bike is light (22.75lb or so maybe less by now) and the ride just has to be experienced because even any discription woulden't do it justice. It it nice on the backside, climbes like a dream, and carves the trail like it's on rails The only real complant that I have is that I am experiencing some tolerance problems with the rear end but I'm sure they can easly fix it...i think it's just a spacer problem and is likly to be an isolated incedent that comes with the custom bike territory. Now all I have to do is actually get off the damn bike to get it fixed. It's more of a annoyance and performance wise I don't think it is a problem. Other than that, this bike has been a dream. If you get a chance to get your hands on one, take it.

Submitted by DOGG a cross-country rider from Michigan

Date Reviewed: December 13, 1998

Bottom Line:

I got this bike for $900. It had been ridden 15 miles. Not kidding. This is the best deal I have heard of since we got Manhattan Island for some beads. I have put about 100 miles on it in a few days even though it is 20 degrees outside. I love it. The frame welded by Tom and the wheels laced by him too. It handles like a dream and only weighs 22.5 lbs. It could be down to about 20 with some upgrades but I love it as is. I almost bought a KHS frame because I wanted a good Chro-mo frame, but then I saw this deal and snagged it. There is not really much to debate about on the issue of ride quality when it comes to steel or aluminum hardtails. Steel Is Real. Especially Ritchey steel. I'd give it six stars if I could. One for handling, one for weight, one for great parts, one for a cool lookin' bike, one for ride quality, and a big one for the price I got.

Submitted by Kane a weekend warrior from CA.

Date Reviewed: December 2, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought my Ritchey Comp, circa 1996 barely used for about 1300. With a full XTR groupo, Judy XC, Ringle Hubs, King Headset it weighs in at about 23 lbs with a full water bottle. This bike handles so much better than my Fisher or my Bridgestone MB1 (to be fair this frame was one size to big for me). Save your money and buy from the original master. Tom Ritchey has the touch!

Submitted by The Dude with an attitude!!!!! a cross-country rider from Alaska

Date Reviewed: September 2, 1998

Bottom Line:

This bike is EXTREMELY light, especially for one made out of Chro-moly. It is very responsive on the trail, it climbs very good and decends O.K. The price maybe high for some folks (i.e. Simon from Virgina, listed below) but when you consider that you have a handbuilt bike from a small custom shop, the price is understandable. If the price still bothers you, go buy a high production bike/frame from some company that is having their built overseas, I'll stick with my Ritchey! 5 BIG stars!!!!!!

Submitted by Blair Foust a cross-country rider from Grosse Pointe, mi

Date Reviewed: June 30, 1997

Bottom Line:

I recently bought a Ritchey p-21 to replace my cannondale. It cost a bundle but is
well worth it. It is very light, especially for a chromoly frame. It handles very well in almost all situations.
The Ritchey parts are light, affordable and good looking, (at least thats what I say to the girl on the corner).
But the greast part of ot is the frame. It feels like it is alive beneath you. Twelve hundred is a lot for any frame,
especially a chromoly one, it will provide you with years of happy riding.

Submitted by David Renton from weekend warrior

Date Reviewed: March 2, 1997

Bottom Line:

Purchased a P22 just about a year ago, and persuaded the dealer to put on the P21 wheels from another Ritchey bike. The P21 wheels had tom slick street tyres on it, so when I shot off on the test ride through downtown Palo Alto on those skinny tyres I got a shot of adrenalin I'll never forget, there was no physical effort, the bike just hummed, like the very best of road bikes. I had inteneded to put on XC tyres and maybe suspension forks, but I can bear to mess around with pure perfection. I can lift this bike up with two fingers and hardly feel the strain, Maybe I'll try XC stuff when I get bored with breading speed limits around town. I never thought a bike could be so perfect.

Submitted by Axel a cross-country rider from Munich, Germany

Date Reviewed: February 19, 1997

Bottom Line:

I'm on my rigid P 22 for five seasons and still love every ride!! After doing intensive testrides on various actual FS-bikes I'm always to get back on Tom's bike. Main advantages in my opinion are: 1.Weight (My 19 is now at 20.1 pounds and full raceable); 2.Handling (Best performance of all bikes I've ever ridden! Very high response to all the drivers inputs! Singletrails are 100% fun, even fast downhills on not too rough terrain are great on it); 3.Resilient (Compared to other rigids).
And: Remember that the most riding time is uphill if you're using the bike as a CC-tourer in the mountains!!! And the downhill-ridingtime on forest-/fireroads where a suspension-fork/-frame would make sense is very often limited.
So, what's the hype with all that heavy, flexy, high maintenance needing and unreliable full suspension stuff?????????????????
P.S.: The only useful design for CC-riding in my opinion is the
MOOTS YBB/RITCHEY Softtail one! It compensates all those little roughs without the disadvantages of the other FS-designs. Some time I'll try one of these!!!!!!!

Submitted by Chris McKenney a racer from Richmond, VA USA

Date Reviewed: February 13, 1997

Bottom Line:

I've been riding a Ritchey P-21 for the past year and it's a great ride for XC racing. Responds to every rider input, very smooth and supple, and climbs on rails. Mine is a team issue bike, all Ritchey parts (and XT), 23 lbs with a Judy XC. If you're thinking about a high end ride, take a good look if you're a smooth rider. Ride one and you'll see why Tom's riders do so well at the races.

Submitted by Tony Scheller a weekend warrior from San Jose,Ca

Date Reviewed: January 8, 1997

Bottom Line:

I bought my Ritchey Ascent Comp a little over six years ago. I order my Ritchey
from a bike shop in Los Gatos(Known as the town of the Cats).The bike shop was
Velmeister,although it is no longer there because of the `89 quake of northern
California.My Ritchey is fully equiped with Deore XT, weighing about 26 lbs.
The last few years I put my Ritcey on a diet. I replace my saddle,seatpost,stem,
titanium skewers,bars,and Kevalar tires. These changes made my wallet light as well
as my bike. This bike lives up to its name, it assent extremely well. After all the
the modification the bike came in at weighining 22.2 lbs.

Submitted by Jeff Gittleson a weekend warrior from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: June 21, 1996

Bottom Line:

I bought this bike over 5 years ago, back in October of '89. This bike was
awesome right out of the box. Of course, back then, suspension wasn't out yet
so this bike had rigid forks. The bike came with top notch components and
handled great. Stable, balanced handling allowed both single track and fire-
road fun. I did break the frame after 3 years (I ride really hard)(broke at
the headset and downtube) but Ritchey rewelded in a new downtube of his latest
hot tubing and fillet brazed both ends of the tube, as well as filled in
all the gouges on the chainstays from chain suck and slap. I did have to pay
$100 to get the frame, and my fork repainted and stickered thought. Turnaround
time was 3 weeks. ...not bad. Oh, I got a Ritchey shirt back with my frame.
neat-o! The frame looked brand spankin' new when I got it back. Thanks Tom.
(Tom does the repair work himself). I recommend any Ritchey as a great bike.
The bike will do everything, even climb hills like it has rear suspension.
Weight is fairly reasonalble (mine was 27 lbs, but his new bikes are around
23 lbs.) If it's a hardtail you want, test ride a Ritchey.

My custom ultra-maintenance-free full suspension bike.

First, I installed mag-wheels, so forgot about rim bends and spoke tightening. [IMG]http://rghost.ru/41444824/image.png[/IMG] Then, I removed rear cassette and forgot about maintenance rear deraileur. Three front speed is enough for me. [IMG]http://rghost.ru/41444829/image.png[/IMG] Rear sho ... Read More »

Surly Ultra New Disc Fat Bike Hub

Anyone built up a wheel with this? Hub weight? ERead More »

Ultra Instant Bike Tire Inflator Sealer

The other day, my buddy helped someone out on the trail who had an air leak in their tire which soon went to a flat. My buddy lent him his can of Ultra Instant Bike Tire Inflator Sealer, seemed to work pretty well for the time being, assuming that the guy was able to get to his car with the sealent ... Read More »

How to mount bike on Blackburn Trakstand Ultra

Can anyone tell me how to put my bike on a Blackburn Trakstand Ultra? It looks as though the resistance unit is too far forward for me to get my wheel centered between the clamps? and turning the adjustment on the RU unit does not move it back far enough. I have the instructions, but there are no p ... Read More »