Raleigh technium Bike 1998 or Older

3.8/5 (5 Reviews)

raleigh technium

Submitted by Keven a Weekend Warrior from Cleveland, Ohio, USA

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2008

Strengths:    Built like a tank. I bought this bike new in 1990 after some chick in a VW punted me 4 lanes on my Nishiki. Now, 18 years later, my Raleigh has been a jack of all trades: Seven GOBAs (350 mile tours of Ohio), Oakland Fire Trails, Los Gatos Single Tracks, Ohio Toepaths and commutes to work. Other than the typical flat tire (that's you Lake Elizabeth in Fremont, CA) this bike has been problem free, other than normal useage issues. Even after hiting numerous potholes, the rims are as true as day one. And cosmetically, the speckled teal paint job is very cool.

Weaknesses:    By today's standard's, this is a heavy bike. Mine weighs 37 pounds. And although Biopace looks good on paper, I'm not sure it adds value in real life, but not really a weakness.

Bottom Line:
When you amortize the original cost and repair expenses over 18 years, this has been an outstanding value. It's hard to let go of something you've enjoyed that long, but I've only got room for one 26" bike (and second wheelset) and an aluminum bike in inevitable. However, if a few extra pounds and lack of a suspension fork are not deal breakers, you'd be very happy with a Raleigh Technium.

Favorite Trail:   Anyone that doesn't put me in the hospital.

Purchased At:   LBS in Campbell, CA

Similar Products Used:   I just rented an aluminum Jamis with a suspension fork. Pretty nice, but not an apples to apples comparison.

Bike Setup:   Terry Liberator saddle, Tioga bar stem, Nashbar Susp. seat post, Specialized bar ends, Shimano SPD's, Specialized road tires, Cateye CPU, Cateye EL-530 headlight, rebuilt freehub, rebuilt BB, rebuilt front hub, new front derailure, new cassette and chain.

Submitted by Tom a Weekend Warrior from London, Ohio USA

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2007

Strengths:    Durable do it all bike - meaning that it does everything well, but nothing exceptionally well.

Bottom Line:
Bought new in 1990 and other than cables, tires, seat, etc., its still my go-to ride.

Bike Setup:   Some minor upgrades, but basically stock.

Submitted by Paul Whitcomb a Cross Country Rider from Stoneham, MA.

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2006

Strengths:    Durability, smooth ride

Weaknesses:    Not quite as responsive as a butted chrome-moly frame.

Bottom Line:
I bought this 1989 entry-level "Pre" in 1990 and have been riding it ever since. I have steadily upgraded the components till 2 years ago, when I finished it. This is a durable, quick and smooth-riding frame that has been through three accidents with no ill-effect.

Favorite Trail:   Wellington State Park, Plymouth, N.H.

Purchased At:   City Cycle, Stoneham

Similar Products Used:   Raliegh Grand Prix, Raleigh Super Course.

Bike Setup:   Campagnolo Record crank and bottom bracket. Shimano Dura-Ace front derailleur. Campagnolo Veloce brakes. Sun Tour 3040 AccuShift rear derailleur. Shimano 105 front hub. Specialized sealed rear hub. Sun Mistral front rim. Sun CR18 rear rim. Topo KT Kevlar saddle. Easton aluminum seat post. Kinesis aluminum forks. Scott Aerolite bars. ITM BigOne stem. Stronglight Headlight headset. Sachs 6 speed cassette.

Submitted by kashmerebilly a Weekend Warrior from boise, idaho, usa

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2003

Strengths:    It's been upgraded many times from it's original setup but this is a great bike. I've put more than 50,000 miles on this bike. It's been all over idaho & southern utah.

Weaknesses:    initial stock components didn't last long. I upgraded right away.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike I've had this bike for a while now. I've gone through several other bikes but I always go back to this bike.

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Boyertown,PA USA

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2000

Strengths:    Great bike! Have had for several years and have had 0 problems. The frame is a little heavier than average bike in price range, but lasting quality makes up for that. A used one would make a great buy!

Weaknesses:    weight of bike is a little heavier than average. If looking for light bike, look elsewhere.

Bottom Line:
Definitely recommend it.

Raleigh Technium Instinct

Is this a decent vintage MTB? I was also wondering what constitutes a vintage MTB? I know old schoool BMX is 70's to about '85 then mid school is '86 to about '00. I think this is an '88 model.Read More »

Element Technium Hubs

I'm looking to build up a cheap&bling set of light-ish XC wheels, and am curious about your thoughts of [url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230279996677]this hubset[/url] Their website is as follows: [url]http://www.elementbike.com/prod-htm/hubsets-technium.htm[/url], and the ... Read More »

'88 Raleigh Technium - 56k take a nap

This is my good friend's bike. He bought it new back in '88 and he rode it around town for about a year or two. He stored it in his garage but his wife moved it out into his back yard when she cleaned up the garage. It sat out there, exposed to the elements, for about 12 years or so. Recently, ... Read More »

1985ish raliegh technium

I just purchased a raliegh technium road bike with 27" rims. I bought it from a shop that had found it in a box in storage and put it together. Never been ridden! I tuned it up and put in a few rides on it and it is great. Baby blue with white griptape. Beautiful. My question is: Is it the kind o ... Read More »

INFO WANTED - Raleigh USA Technium Chill

Hi, During my parents' house move and clearance of their garage I've come back into possession of my 1990 Raleigh Technium Chill, which I forgot I even still owned. It was stolen in C.'93 and subsequently recovered, but not before the thief had gone at it with a grinder and replaced a few compon ... Read More »