Raleigh M80 ('98) Bike 1998 or Older

3.75/5 (4 Reviews)

M80 ('98)

Submitted by mrbroky a Weekend Warrior from Troy, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2011

Strengths:    Great stock components. Last with maintenance

Weaknesses:    Would like none

Bottom Line:
Bought this bike in '98 and still riding it regularly. I'm not talking about babying it either. Periodic maintenance and still going. Gets new cables every so often, just got some new bearings and tires. Added Shimano 540's. Would cost too much to get an equivilant ride today.

Favorite Trail:   Stoney Creek

Purchased At:   Local out-of-busines

Bike Setup:   Raleigh M-80. Shimamno 540 pedals, Jagwire ripcord cables, Jag brakes

Submitted by cody a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, Wa.

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2010

Strengths:    durable, comfortable, versatile

Weaknesses:    weight

Bottom Line:
13 years and still going. Many of those years it has spent sitting in the garage but the first 2 and the last 4 it has seen weekly/almost daily use. I've replaced brake pads, and tires but that is it. Of course after 13 years the front shock is mostly worn out but I'm not doing any big drops anyway so it really doesn't matter.

Favorite Trail:   Tiger mt.

Purchased At:   Goleta Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale

Bike Setup:   seasonal. In the summer I set it up for singletrack, and in the winter I convert it to a rainy day commuter.

Submitted by Russ a Weekend Warrior from Benicia, California

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2001

Strengths:    -$$$$$
-Good for my purposes
-All around great bike

Weaknesses:    -Treads
-Weight
-Paint chips

Bottom Line:
Up on the Flume you go through all kinda crap and this bike has held up to all of it. This bike has held up all the way. I also like the handle bar ends that came with it. They're awsome for the uphills. I like the cages on the pedals that came with it. It's an all around good bike, out here in California, theres a hell of a lot of hills, and this bike has been real good on them, I've tried a Specialized Rock Hopper, and a Stump Jumper, and prefer this bike to them because of the way this one rides and feels. I LOVE MY BIKE!!!! I would suggest getting the M-80 for the price and how well it works, and if you want, upgrade it. I've had no serious trouble with it, and I will probably just stick with this bike for many more years to come. When it needs to be, I'll upgrade it.

If your the kinda biker that goes out on moderate to serious trails all year and has a low price range, this is the bike you want.

Favorite Trail:   The Flume

Purchased At:   Authorized Bicycles

Bike Setup:   Same as from store, but adding to it to make it better

Submitted by Brad Hartsock a cross-country rider from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: December 23, 1998

Bottom Line:

This was my first big bike purchase almost a year ago (Feb '98) after researching other $500 rigs from GT, Trek, Giant. Raleigh had the best bike for the buck and i went with the red M80 24 speed. It's been on some difficult endurance rides and held up well. Aluminum is stiff and responsive, but can beat you up on rocky trails.The LBS that sold it to me did have to replace what they call the cheapest bottom bracket made, but charged Raleigh (under the warranty) for the upgrade--much smoooootthher. That crappy bottom bracket is used in all their '98 mtn bike models (up to M800). I now use this heavier bike to train on and ride an Airborne Lucky Strike for races/endurance rides.What prompted me to post this review now is an experience i had this morning. When cleaning the rear cassette, i noticed it was an 11-28, not an 11-30 as the sales brochure said. For those that say what does that matter?...when you're climbing, the higher the last # (more teeth), the easier the granny gear. Climbing 16K ft in a day, one likes an easy granny gear and two teeth CAN make a difference. I called Raleigh (after i was unable to find an email address at their '99 web site) to inquire about the situation and the tech said they frequently will replace items if what was expected to be used isn't available in quantity. Fine, can you send me the correct one? No, we don't do that type of thing. Putting a different gear ratio on isn't the same as using a different set of tires (as he claimed). Using an off-brand 11-30 cassette instead of shimano 11-30 would be an acceptable substitute. Yikes! I wasn't asking them to send a crappy $15 cassette to every M80 owner. Most don't know or care about the ratio...but it does matter under certain circumstances. They could have at least notified the LBSs that they should point the change from the sales brochure out and explain under what circumstances it'd matter.Bottom line...5 chilis for value/performance, 1 for customer service and standing behind advertisements (total of 6 divided by 2 = 3). After experiencing awesome service from Airborne, Raleigh gives me cramps. I'll put the Raleigh logo sticker back on my van's rear window when they cough up the right equipment (yea, that'll happen).