Raleigh M60 Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.24/5 (55 Reviews)

Raleigh M60

Submitted by lallen1407 a Downhiller from Plymouth Ma

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2009

Strengths:    Everything about this bike is awesome! Originally got ten years ago, put a ton of money into it making it my own "custom" ride and still am riding it.

Weaknesses:    Nothing

Bottom Line:
It recently got stolen from my Boston Apt, but i love it so much i tracked the scum down and got it back. I will ride it until it breaks in half.

Favorite Trail:   Pinehills

Purchased At:   cederville cycles

Bike Setup:   M60 Frame, Judy Race Rock shox, titec hell bent downhill bars, KORE stem, Shimano Vbrakes, panaracer anti snake bite tires, shimano grip shifts.

Submitted by akoho a Weekend Warrior from Chico, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2009

Bottom Line:
such a great price when purchased. Rode this bike for thousands of miles over the years and now must retire it. Light weight ensured ease in climbs. It handled everything from summer ski slopes to cruisin through the soft redwood singletracks. my first bike love

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Arlington, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2007

Strengths:    Has good gear range, comfortable ride for rigid mountain bile

Weaknesses:    Weight, lack of any suspension when off paved roads.

Bottom Line:
I initially bought this bike in late 1994. It was used a little for commuting and then mostly sat in storage from 1996 to 1999 and 2000 to 2005. Then I began riding weekends and holidays. Ended up using for longer rides (40 to 55 miles) on a regular basis. It is now my daily commuter bike. It has served me well and has given me no real maintenance problems. This bike is good for anyone looking for an all purpose bike.

Favorite Trail:   M607-608

Purchased At:   El Paso Sporting Goods store, name?

Similar Products Used:   LL Bean mountain bike, Biachi road bike, Raleigh road bike

Bike Setup:   Standard package. I've added a rear rack, suspension seat post, WTB seat and Nashbar Rodeo combination pedals.

Submitted by steve a Cross Country Rider from gainesville, fl

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2007

Strengths:    Durability man! The frame has withstood YEARS of hard, fast riding.

Weaknesses:    Had to upgrade wheels, handle bar, and brakes. Otherwise very solid.

Bottom Line:
I've ridden this bike now for 11 years! I've demolished wheels, thrashed tires and been through numerous hurricane seasons, but still this bike keeps moving forward. Currently waiting to be re painted and converted to a single speed for my wife. I know these bikes are longer thought of, but i had to write a review, i had to give some luv to the ol' Raleigh M60. So all you M60 riders keep on rollin',

Favorite Trail:   humpty dumps

Purchased At:   bike route

Similar Products Used:   Haro MTB from 1990

Bike Setup:   Go Fast riser handle bar, Nuke Proof Supa Fly hubs with mavic rims, Avid brakes, Specialized dirt comp. tires and Manitou Mach 5 Front suspension.

Submitted by Davy Wavy a Racer from Denton, TX USA

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2006

Strengths:    Solid all arounder bike. Upgraded all parts and I have about $1200 in upgrades into this bike. I like the frame and am using the bike currently in MTB racing in TX. I came in 6th overall last season on her. Light, front suspension only.

Weaknesses:    Hard time finding a fork with a long enough head tube for this bike. Geometry is close to a road bike.

Bottom Line:
Great bike. Took me all over Texas racing, Moab, Colorado and back. Great climber. Able to climb and descend with the best of 'em. I love my bike! I even prefer it over my newer $4000 Stumpjumper!

Favorite Trail:   Bar H - St. Jo, TX

Purchased At:   Mustang bicycles

Similar Products Used:   '04 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 30th anniversary edition

Bike Setup:   XT f/r der; XT cranks & BB, Kore stem, Judy XC front shock w/80mm of travel, Easton handlebar, XT V-Brakes, Sun Wheels

Submitted by Lance a Weekend Warrior from Dallas, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2002

Strengths:    I bought the bike in 1994. The only things I've replaced are the tires. I've done all the tune up work myself. Only had it serviced once - just readjustment 6 mos. after I bought it.

Weaknesses:    Had a blow out once and had to walk about 12 miles home...it's pretty heavy when you're hauling it on your back.

Bottom Line:
Great bike. I'm contemplating buying a new one because my chain skips in high torque situations (either a stretched chain or bent sprocket), and I'm tired of putting new tires on such an old bike. It's in need of a tune up, but I don't want to put any money into it - I'd rather just go out and buy new. I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of this one. This is a GREAT entry level all-terrain bike. If you're looking for lots of technical trail manuevers, go with full-suspension. If you want a bike that will go anywhere (paved or unpaved trails) this is a GREAT bike.

Purchased At:   Sun & Ski Sports

Bike Setup:   Standard. No shox....only real drawback, and the new one's come with front shox standard, I think. I'm about to buy my 2nd. I bought mine in 1994; it's a 1993 model, and I paid about $150 less than the sticker (the bike shop was getting ready to move locations, and I got a GREAT deal!)

Submitted by steph from NY

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2000

Bottom Line:
Trying to buy a solid bike, for my first major bike. Dont need anything fancy just something worth my dollaz. Local bike shop is selling M60 for $470. Is it worth the money?

Submitted by parker a Cross-Country Rider from kansas city, ks

Date Reviewed: December 24, 1999

Strengths:
never broke, ever

Weaknesses:
none, its about a 400$ bike, its gunna weigh alot

Bottom Line:
the stx shifts better than my deore, its more of a back up/ friend that wants to go along bike, i beat it, it never broke, had to replace front wheel(beat it), its a good entry level bike, but for any mountian stuff, get something with v brakes.

clinton,levee,blue springs

more than 3 years

dean scout, iboc comp

no shock, stx

Submitted by Jack a Weekend Warrior from L A , California

Date Reviewed: December 9, 1999

Strengths:
light-weight aluminum frame,great upgradeability,comfortable ride and good shimano acera gearing.

Weaknesses:
so-so shocks--limited travel,and the stock seat was numbing after five miles but everything in price range was similar in set-up.Raleigh gives the most bang for the buck

Bottom Line:
This is such a light and comfortable bike. It'll do whatever is asked and it's comfy-get a gel seat and the suspension--gawd--like ridin' a light pillow that cooks,downhill and on trails and on bike paths!Cheap to buy...comfy..aluminum and upgradeable??what more can ya ask of a great bike?? buy it!

bike path--venice,santa monica

less than 1 month

shwinn moab 3--like NO difference to me...

Post-Moderne suspension post, standard piece o' dirt rock shox jett shocks till they break!

Submitted by louie a Weekend Warrior from austin, texas

Date Reviewed: July 13, 1999

Strengths:
great components for the money, light,strong alum. frame. best real trail bike for the money.

Weaknesses:
rst 260 front suspension, which isn't the greatest, but haven't had any problems with them yet.

Bottom Line:
great bike for the $430.00 msrp price tag. shop around i found mine for $379.00. best components for the money, really nice light frame. i highly recommend.

barton creek greenbelt

3 months

specialized hardrock comp fs

alivio front, stx-rc rear derailers, grip shift, rst 260 front suspension, kenda kinetic tires

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from Wichita, KS

Date Reviewed: May 19, 1999

Strengths:
Light (for steel frame)
Lifetime frame guarantee.
Agile climber (nice geometry)
A lot of bike for low cost.

Weaknesses:
Non-replaceable rear hanger.

Bottom Line:
This is a smooth-runnin machine. Very reliable, STRONG frame. I have put this thing through some tough spills on the rocks, and it has always come out smelling like a rose !! Pounded the seat stays against stone HARD, and all I had to do was adjust the brakes !! They did'nt even bend !! If you're looking for an all-around great bike with front susp, and don't want to spend a ton-o-cash..this is the ride for you !! The STX drive train is smooth with easy twist-grip shifting and powerful brakes. I upgraded the saddle with WTB and shortened the stem with 100mm Tahoma, and all is good. A solid performer.

Winfield Lake

1 Year

Specialized Hard-Rock Sport
Trek 7000

M-60 steel frame w/RST 260 fork (98)

Submitted by Brian Hileman a weekend warrior from Porterville, CA. U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: February 14, 1999

Bottom Line:

I've had my '98 M80 for almost a year now, what a superb piece of machine! Every weld on this bike screams Quality. With the upgraded Manatou SX fork, and LX V brakes, there is not a trail anywhere I cant blow the dust on! Next upgrade will be the wheels and pedals, and this one is a long time keeper!
My local bike shop was kind enough to swap me a Bontranger seat for the stock one. Try to catch me on the fire roads up in Hot Springs...This bike deserves about 20 flamin' hot red chrome Peppers

Submitted by Thomas Aden a cross-country rider from Pleasant Dale NE

Date Reviewed: October 10, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought my 1996 M-60 for $400.00. It is a little heavier than other bikes, but it works great. It climbs very well, and the geometry feels great. The only down side are the wheels, which bend eaisly. You put a low-end fork on this bike and it's ready to go. You will most defenitly get the most bang for the buck with Raleigh.

Submitted by wayne a weekend warrior from jonesboro, AR

Date Reviewed: August 25, 1998

Bottom Line:

our local police dept bought two and after trying an m60 i loved it and bought one myself it has an rst 260 front suspension fork that is a joy on moderate terrain. Its solid and has to be though not an experienced rider im an excited one that measzures in at 6'2 and 290. i hzave had to have the rims trued once and need to again but other than that it has ben one of the best investmsnet i have ever made...

Submitted by B. Hershey a weekend warrior from PA

Date Reviewed: July 28, 1998

Bottom Line:

I recently got '97 M60 left-over with a Q5 shock for $325. Great bike for me as a beginner, incredible price. The M60 has a smooth ride, decent brakes, and handles well on rough trails. A shock and decent components for that price: I could not ask for more. I would suggest this bike for anyone starting out in the sport.