Raleigh M400 Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.63/5 (35 Reviews)

Raleigh M400 Bike

Submitted by E. Ross a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2017

Strengths:    Frame strength to weight is awesome, Frame geometry for a taller rider is great.

Weaknesses:    Original rims and brakes were not the best

Bottom Line:
I have owned mine for over 20 years now. I have upgraded just about everything on it over the years, starting with the rims and brakes. I had some issues with the original rims staying true after riding trails for long periods, but after replacing them, I have had nothing but good things to say about this bike. I have ridden many other bikes over the years, including "top of the line" dual suspension bikes, and have never found another bike that I was more comfortable on, either on trails or just riding around town. I am 6' 2" and the geometry of this bike just fits great. The frame is light weight, but super durable and is amazingly responsive on the trails. When I first bought it, it was a big deal to spend as much as i did on it, being a college kid with an under paying job. It wasn't even the most expensive bike in the shop. After college, when I could afford something "better", I started looking for something new to replace it with. All these years later, I still haven't found that better bike.

Duration Product Used:   20+ years

Purchased At:   United States

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Gary Fischer, Cannondale, GT among others

Bike Setup:   Velocity "Deep V" rims w/ Avid Arch Rival brakes, Fox Float 100 rlc fork w/ cane creek 40 head set, Easton controltech handle bars with extended stem, Shimano Deore LX crank set w/ shimano combo clip pedals, Shimano STX RC shifters and derailleur

Submitted by tom caruso a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2017

Strengths:    great frame, classic style. tough as nails. ride hard and put away wet.

Weaknesses:    none, but I would prefer bigger tires. I do a lot of long straight riding. sometimes 20 miles or more. sometimes I use my old univega safari. 22 inch steel frame, its a horse, but cranks out the miles effortlesly

Bottom Line:
I love this bike, it reminds me of my gary fisher aquila that got stolen. the raliegh has no suspension. I like to feel the trail. this bike has 'no problem steering through anything I put it too. I wouldnt trade it for any new bike. your imagination is the limit for upgrading this bike. I plan do a lot of revamps on this beauty. I want to try 27.5 wheels. I dont know how to fit the brakes though. I have 'been a life long elevator mechanic. have only done minor repairs on bikes. but im sure I can figure out the upgrades i want..I also have a raliegh 1988 technium street bike that has been sitting in the basement since 92. I want to break that out this summer and fix it up, its another raleigh classic. I am 59, when I was a boy every kid dreamed of getting a raliegh. back then they they were 3 speed road bikes. but timeless classics

Favorite Trail:   minuteman trail, lexington Ma.

Duration Product Used:   I season

Purchased At:   given by friend

Similar Products Used:   gary fisher aquilla. specializes hybrid. marin hybrid, raleigh technium. specialized rock hopper

Bike Setup:   hard tale. hard front fork. 20 inch frame.alex rims back zac rims in front. wtb slick asauras tires

Submitted by Pat Diewold a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2014

Strengths:    love the frame

Weaknesses:    rims forks pretty much cheap components

Bottom Line:
had bike sunce '99. replaced pretty much every component except cranks. It's now pretty mucj a rock star. Replaced drab decals with Standard byke co. ones. Looks like hybrid bmx-mtb! single frontgear with chain tensioners. Don't be afraid to customize this timeless classic.I still love mine after all these years!

Submitted by Day rider a Weekend Warrior from Lanham,MD USA

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2009

Strengths:    Durability

Weaknesses:    seat, forks and tires

Bottom Line:
Ever since I got this bike I have been real happy! The person that sold it was not too bright. This bike is a CLASSIC! This bike (frame)has stood the test of time. Anyone who has this bike should continue to ride it with pride. I have two other bikes and they have taken a back seat to this great machine. I was told to look for another bike instead of working with this one. The same person who told me that is the one who is now lookng for a new ride. Raleigh should do a throw back version of the M400.

Favorite Trail:   ALL

Purchased At:   Second hand

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2003

Strengths:    Quality construction. Durability.(This bike sat outside for four years untouched) I cleaned it up, tuned it up, and it was good to go.

Weaknesses:    I've got nothing bad to say. This bike is almost ten years old and it's served me well.I upgraded most of the original stx-rc components over the years.

Bottom Line:
I think that I have one of the coolest "old-school" mountain bike/Street cruisers around. The Raleigh USA M400 7005 double butted/heat treated aluminum frame has been flawless. It still has its "high-dollar" two-tone paint job from 1994 looking sweet. Whether I'm running slicks or knobbies, and with all the added componentry over the years, this bike can hold its head high in any crowd.

Favorite Trail:   Outside

Purchased At:   Miami, Fl. Bikeshop

Similar Products Used:   Tried them all!

Bike Setup:   XT- Fd/Rd,Crankset. LX- Hubs. Stx-rc- Brakes,Shifters(7spd)
Thomson- Seatpost,Stem. Easton- Handlebar. Rigida- Rims. Michelin- Tires. Kool Stop- brakepads. Manitou- "4" Front forks.

Submitted by troy edmonds a Weekend Warrior from denver,colorado,usa

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2002

Strengths:    Great frame, price, responsive

Weaknesses:    Rims are a little weak, cheap forks and bars, lousy seat

Bottom Line:
Great bike I have put at least 2000 miles on it without too many problems, and I weigh 300lbs at 6'3"
it's been all over the world with me and now I'm going to AU to ride in the outback,
Great bike that still turns heads with good looks and performance.

Purchased At:   Bike shop new

Similar Products Used:   Tons

Bike Setup:   Changed to Manituo forks and carbon fiber bars and ends , new gooseneck, new seat and lots of other goodies added
lots lighter now.

Submitted by Joe Babcock a Weekend Warrior from Auburn

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2002

Strengths:    Value, Frame

Weaknesses:    Seat, Fork, Brakes

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike to ride because of the price. Had a Raleigh when I was just a brat. Liked that bike. When I decided to buy a new bike I knew that most of my riding would be on the street. My favorite place to ride is the local High School. Love those steps! Anyway I'm the guy who can't leave anything alone, so I knew that I'd be up-grading. The frame was real important to me. Needed to be solid, weight wasn't the main consideration because I wasn't going to be racing. Just playing and breaking ribs! So I found this bike and got what I thought was a good deal. Have since rode it pretty hard. Have replaced the weak stuff and love it. One of these days I'm going to replace the wheels. I did once, bought some wheels from Super Dooper something, Sunrims, LX hubs, the hubs are great, wheels suck, won't stay true. Best upgrade? That Terry seat, "if yer hurtin, ya won't be havin fun". That seat came off of my road bike, great seat. Also the shock, is there a better shock beside Marzocchi? This bike is a blast to ride on the road. You know who should buy this bike? People who like to upgrade. Buy a bike with a good frame. Lots of cheaper bikes, by all of the bike makers use frames that are used in their upper end stuff. Look around, except for paint schemes, there's no difference. Then build it to your liking.
See ya...

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   Bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Lots of em

Bike Setup:   XT Rear, XT crank, Arch Rival 5.0, Terry Saddle, Marzocchi Atom Bomb, Kore stem, GT bars.

Submitted by Barnabas Bowler a Weekend Warrior from Gooding,Idaho,USA

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2002

Strengths:    Good body and shocks

Weaknesses:    bad brakes

Bottom Line:
the bottom line is that i have had ridden many types of bycycles and raleigh is still top on my list

Favorite Trail:   Elkhorn Crest trail

Purchased At:   Raleigh Sports

Similar Products Used:   raleigh m 600

Submitted by Eric Gilkison a Downhiller from Salem, Oregon

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2001

Strengths:    Very solid bike. Have not needed to change much on it.

Weaknesses:    The stock seat and rims are junk. The rear rim is slowly but surly falling apart. I have been trying for the last few years to keep it together.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is this. Doc said I got to keep my leg strengh up with out impact. Like swimming or riding a bike, or I would have arthritis by the age of 30. So I looked and asked around, and finaly settled on an m400. Ive been rideing it for about 3 years and am getting better and better at it. I can't wait untill my shop buddies build me a new rear rim so I can go romp again. It could be a little lighter but, I'm happy.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere I roam

Purchased At:   The Bike Peddler

Similar Products Used:   BMX bought from Sears when I was little.

Bike Setup:   Still fairly stock. The seat is one of those funky looking things with a hole in the middle of it. And the rear rims have got to go

Submitted by Al G a Cross Country Rider from Houston

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2000

Strengths:    Frame Geometry

Weaknesses:    Some stock components lame

Bottom Line:
Bought this puppy at end of year clearance for $400.(last year frame was made in USA)The ZAC rims lasted a couple of months. Replaced with Mavics. Added the Manitou/clipless pedals and risers etc...Bottom line-I've ridden alot of bikes in the last 3 years. Was one of the first bikes I saw out there with the radical slope on the top tube. Even though my Raleigh is actually only 17.5", it feels as comfortable as any of the 18"Fishers and has PLENTY of clearance for my 'nads. My other bike is a steel Voodoo w/ a Bomber on it but my fave is still the Raleigh. It just feels right, and I did'nt have to take out a second mortgage on the house to buy it. Word to any Raleigh exec's out there- work on those bike graphics dude's! They've gotten progressively uglier through the years. Whats up with that?

Favorite Trail:   CityPark/Ho-chi-Min

Similar Products Used:   Too many to list

Bike Setup:   '96 Frame/XT /Manitou SXR/Mavic 138/Titec Stem & Riser

Submitted by Chris Bryant a Weekend Warrior from Tulsa, OK, USA

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2000

Strengths:    Great components, relatively light frame, got a GREAT deal on it.

Weaknesses:    Seems to shift a little hard

Bottom Line:
I was only planning on spending maybe $300 for a bike to get around town, but I found one of these on consignment at my local bike shop, and I got it for only $470 including tax!!! Even had a computer already on it, the last guy only put 20 miles on it and it looks brand new! Spent about another $100 on accessories: new seat, bottle/cage, headlight, etc... This is my first bike since high school, and first mountain bike ever, but will use it mostly for road and light trails. I have been extremely happy with it, I'm sure I'll put it to good use. From everything else I've read here, sounds like I got a good bike at a good price.

Submitted by Russell Roth a Racer from Albany, NY

Date Reviewed: November 2, 1999

Strengths:
Price, components

Weaknesses:
Tires try to slide out from under you when used on the road

Bottom Line:
Bike handles beutifully on the technical and the tires stop sliding out on the off road trails. Recieved its first try outs at mt killington and came out on top. Very quick to accellerate and climes like a goat.

killington

3 months

trek, giant

full stx-rc, rs indy xc

Submitted by Diel Rojas a weekend warrior from Dallas, TX

Date Reviewed: September 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've had my M400 for about two months now and put about 200 miles on it with no major problems. I've taking the rims back to the shop 3 times to get them trued but I guess that's what happens when you are 6'1 and 210 lbs and try bunny-hopping anything in sight. I bought a 97 for $495, which I still think is a good deal. I am going to change the seat post and wheels as soon as I can get enough together for some spinergy rims and Ti post. I have endoed the bike twice with no damage, so as far as I am concerned, it passed the test. Give this bike a try, you won't be disappointed.

Submitted by garvin.t a weekend warrior from TRINIDAD

Date Reviewed: July 19, 1998

Bottom Line:

It seems to me that raleigh, doesn't get the kind of 'raised eyebrow'effect that other bike companies get,like Cannondale,GT and Trek.Probably because they aren't into as heavy a advertising campaign in the .U.S. as these others.The fact is the 1998 raleigh M-400 is about the buy in its category,considering frame,components, welded construction and PRICE...I have but one problem, it should've been at least three pound lighter other than that THIS BIKE ROCKS!

Submitted by Teddy a weekend warrior from Farmington Hills, MI

Date Reviewed: June 27, 1998

Bottom Line:

M-400 Love it. Bought it about a month ago and have put about 50 miles on it so far. Only prob so far is the rear brake, a little loose. But I would definately recommend this bike to anyone looking for a good deal adn a great bike. Paid $800 for mine with shoes and helmet. not too bad, if i do say so myself.