Raleigh M1000 Bike Bike 1998 or Older

3.6/5 (5 Reviews)

Raleigh M1000

Submitted by Mike Oxbig a Weekend Warrior from Kemptown, Brighton, UK

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2003

Strengths:    Lovely shaped end of the seatpost! Rides so much much better without the saddle on.

Weaknesses:    The colour. Would have been much nicer in a subtle shade of mauve...

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike after being offered a ride by a Mr J Carrick, very friendly man, and was suitably impressed after accepting his offer of a "backie". After witnessing his masterful, lycra clad frame manhandling the beast I just had to go and buy my own and haven't been dissapointed, especially after getting rid of that pesky saddle! Magnificent.

Favorite Trail:   Bear Road

Bike Setup:   Rock Hard, always the best...

Submitted by Justin Carrick a Cross Country Rider from Sussex, UK

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2003

Strengths:    Strong frame, good spec for age of bike, light. A lot of bike for the money

Weaknesses:    Raleigh doesn't turn heads! would like better spec components, but they're all upgradeable so not to much of a problem

Bottom Line:
This bike is built to last. Quality frame and clobber for the money. I raced it a few times......the last I saw of the equipment pervs was on the first corner...that was until I lapped them again. A gritty bike that performs far beyond it's price......I love it

Favorite Trail:   South Downs

Purchased At:   My ex bird got it in Surrey somewhere!!!

Similar Products Used:   Tried my mates rockhopper and numerous other MTB's

Bike Setup:   Shimano Alivio components

Submitted by Duane a racer from Detroit

Date Reviewed: August 28, 1998

Bottom Line:

I paid $10000 for this bike and it is the worst bike I have ever bought. I ride everyday and this bike handles terrain in the worst way. I personally advise everyone to avoid buying this piece of shit becaue I would hate for anyone else to be duped like I was.

Submitted by shaun travers a weekend warrior from trinidad/the West Country

Date Reviewed: December 6, 1996

Bottom Line:

m-trax 1000L proving to be an excellant commuter bike on road tyres handles the amazing pot-holes which appear over night and steers quickly through traffic little maintenance required except for regular gear change tuning (maybe a little too regular).
off road capability is fine, yeah better brakes and and upgraded forks would help but remember this is a value bike and anyway I feel a certain satisfaction in beating the high tech heads on a supposedly low tech bike and when I loose I blame it on the bike.
I have failed to break this bike despite some real abuse on road and off and I am fairly new to cycling so my technical ability does not match my enthusiasm
which often results in disaster.
I can,t wait to get this bike back to Somerset and check out Cadbury Hill.

Submitted by Seb Frost is a weekend warrior from Somerset, UK, and he

Date Reviewed: August 20, 1996

Bottom Line:

This is the bottom of the range M-Trax machine, but fitted with a
pair of Quadra 21 Rs, will be more than capable of thrashing the
most technical and severe singletrack and downhills.

A must budget buy. Get some Quadras and SPuDs with the money you save.