Raleigh M 80 Bike 1998 or Older

4.43/5 (49 Reviews)

Raleigh M 80

Submitted by Bill Horrigan a Weekend Warrior from Temperance, Mi.

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2007

Strengths:    This is the best frame I have ever ridden. I bought it in 1995 and here in 2007 the frame is still in excellent shape. After 12 hard years of being my trail bike/commuter/road/trailer towing through heat, rain, and snow(I am from Michigan); rust is minimal, and the welds look great. They should have never stopped using this steel. Best of all this frame was "Made in the USA."

Weaknesses:    Price savings had to come from somewhere. With the M 80 its obvious these came from the componants. My Rock Shock Quads are toast. Ive replaced the cranks, wheels, seat, bars, seat post, pedals, and my brakes just fell apart.

Bottom Line:
Right now I am at a crossroad. Should I replace componants on an awesome frame, or get a newer full suspension bike. I have decided to do both. Unfortunatly Raliegh USA isn't made in the USA anymore(that I know of) or they wouldn't have lost my buisness.

Favorite Trail:   Brighton Rec Area

Purchased At:   Buffalo Bobs

Similar Products Used:   Trek 6500, Iron Horse, Cannondale Super V,Specialized Stumpjumper.

Bike Setup:   Still mostly Stock.

Submitted by Kevin Clark a Racer from Roswell,NM

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2002

Strengths:    Lightweight frame; Great climbing bike; stiff frame; Da price is right.

Weaknesses:    Stock components pretty weak.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money. Love the way this bike goes up hill. The way I have it set up it only weighs 23 lbs. I'm 14 and race cross country. This bike competes with the big boys for not too much money.

Favorite Trail:   Haystack Mountain

Purchased At:   Roswell Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Comming from the road

Bike Setup:   LX gruppo, Sun wheels, Selle Italia saddle, Specialized tires, Nashbar pedals

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Eagan MN USA

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2002

Strengths:    Price, size, components, quality

Bottom Line:
This was my second mt. bike and at 6'4" and 220# the 22" frame fits me great. I have upgraded some components as they have worn out and still need to upgrade the fork and cog set. For a guy in his upper 40s it's been a fun ride. I've ridden it on the CAMBA trails in Wisconsin and Moab. Someday I'll get a full suspension but right now I have absolutely no complaints about this bike, I love it. In shopping around when I bought it I found that Raleigh offered the best setup for the buck. I don't know if they still do but I'd look there first if I evered tacoed this one bad enough to need to replace it.

Favorite Trail:   Terrace Oaks

Purchased At:   Now Sports

Bike Setup:   Thomson bar, Control Tech post, XT brakes, deraileurs & cranks, Specialized seat, Ouray (all the way) grips

Submitted by Matt Killick a Cross Country Rider from St. Abert, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2001

Strengths:    Damn....What a fine ride. A great all around bike. Great looking design, great price and great fun. Frame can take just about any thing the rider can and most of what they can't.

Weaknesses:    The stock shox sucked so I had to upgrade to a 2000 judy race fork. The paint also chiped way to easy as well as the decals. It's also a tad heavy.

Bottom Line:
It was a damn fine lookin' bike. That is untill the paint chipped off. It's a great bike, it'll take any thing the trail throws at it, except a semi perhaps. It's a great bike for any one looking to get into the world of mountian biking without breaking the bank. Upgrading the fork is a must.

Favorite Trail:   Edmonton River Valley

Purchased At:   Edmonton Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Fusion, GT Avalanche 2.0

Bike Setup:   Stock with 2000 Rock Shox Judy Race. Upgraded to double walled rims.

Submitted by Rommel Upshur a Weekend Warrior from Cleveland Heights, OH

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2000

Strengths:    A classy green color that I haven't seen on too many other bikes,light(for me),climbs well, comfortable ride,has held up well after 2 yrs of an average of 3 times per week riding off road,road, winter, summer.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any in 2 yrs

Bottom Line:
This is an update to my first review approximately 2 yrs ago. This bike has proven itself in all conditions. In the 2yrs that I have had it, there has been no problem occur that wasn't just a matter of routine maintenance. It still is a better bike for the money. The ride is still comfortable after moderately long trips(30 miles). It climbs well in the dirt and on the street. The paint still holds up(except for a few rock dings but nothing lasts forever). If Raleigh had a decent full suspension bike I would by one from them. But since they don't, I won't. This bike could probably last for quite a while provided I don't have some catastrophic crash

Purchased At:   Fridrich Bikes

Bike Setup:   Tektro brake upgrade,Koski saddle, continental cross country tires,rapid fires,avenir riser bar,profile ahead stem, wellgo clipless pedals

Submitted by Brian from Saratoga NY

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2000

Strengths:    Frame has taken a real beating

Weaknesses:    if you ride alot things brake and fall off

Bottom Line:
the original fork sucked so i got a judy xc. after taking about 5 big jumps the original rims were trashed. the brakes stopped working after a couple months (i tried new brake pads). the sram gripshift doesn't work with shimano derailers. the only good thing about the stock bike was the frame. it takes big drop-offs and jumps and after two years still shows no weakness. The 16.5 inch frame has more of a ds and trials geometry than a trail bike geometry. if you dont ride that often than this is a good bike, but if you put 50+ miles a week on the trails spend some more money.

Favorite Trail:   stables

Similar Products Used:   giant xtc se1

Bike Setup:   97 model, replaced lots of parts, has judy xc, diacomp brakes, avid levers, raceface cranks, lx rd, stxrc fd,lx hubs, 221 rims, bontrager stem, hellbent handlebar rapid fire shifters

Submitted by Levi Foust a Cross Country Rider from Somerset, Pennsylvania

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2000

Strengths:    Sweet Price, takes a beating,& looks great with red tires

Weaknesses:    N/A

Bottom Line:
I treat my bikes too rough and they wear out in about 6 months- this Raleigh just keeps on going! It's probably got about 4,000 hard core miles on it. It's a good buy for a college or high school student. New, mine cost $485. My friend bought the 99 model and it's a real ticker too! It handles any terrain well and its geometry is just right for me. At nearly 6 foot, I like the 20 incher.

Favorite Trail:   extreme backwoods

Similar Products Used:   nothing compares to this great machine

Bike Setup:   98 model w/STX-RC components/ rock Shox Indy C/ Spiffy red tires!

Submitted by Kevin D. a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne, FL

Date Reviewed: December 22, 1999

Strengths:
Price
Components
Frame strentgh
Color & finish

Weaknesses:
Uncomfortable Vetta tri-shock seat.
Weight.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for the $$$. I've owned mine since 97' and it's held up great. I've done some jumps where I know I was 8 to 10 feet in the air and this bike took it like nothing. Warped a few rims but that's to be expected. I would recommend this bike to any one who was looking for a bike under $1000.

more than 3 years

M-80, rock shox, Panaracer Dart/Smoke, Shimano stx.

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from San Diego

Date Reviewed: December 21, 1999

Strengths:
price, price, price

Weaknesses:
hard seat
fork?

Bottom Line:
I spent over 2 months shopping around for a new bike and nothing in the price range I was looking at even came close. Everything else had maybe an stx rear der. and then a mix of alivio and acera components. When iI was finally ready to by all of the bike shops were out of M-80's but I found one at Sports Chalet and since the 00 had just come out they dropped the price to a paltry $399. You just can't beat the price this quality of bike. I have put just over 250 miles on the bike in the 4 weeks I have had it, about half road and half trail (I put road tires on it when I ride the street) and I haven't had any problems except for a broken end cap on the rear skewer which was my fault for crashing in the rocks. This bike handles great on the downhills and climbs like a goat. I would recommend it to anyone. Great frame, good components and easily upgradable.

Mission Trails (it's close to my house)

less than 1 month

everything between $500 and $750 while shopping around

stock, jett c fork, LX rear der. all else stx-rc

Submitted by Al T a Cross-Country Rider from Jacksonville, AR

Date Reviewed: October 27, 1999

Strengths:
The best Chro-moly in the planet-excellent frame
paint job-have fallen with this bike about 20 times and the paint job is still glowing
Shimano components
Price-got mine for 400 stones
lightweight for a chro-molu frame

Weaknesses:
Cheap bottom bracket
cantilever brakes

Bottom Line:
The best Chromoly frame out there! I used this bike with the original components for three years with no problems. I was planning to purchase a full suspension bike but decided to upgrade to a full Shimano XTR components, with Marzocchi Superfly fork and Mavic Crosslink wheelset. It's just too darn good looking to part away. I'm over 35 years, but can still keep up with the younger guys on those 35 degree hills using this bike. Definitely 5 red hot chilis on this bike!

any dirt roads with rocks and hills

more than 3 years

Trek
specialized

Shimano Alivio components
Rock Shox Quadra

Submitted by Anthony Perez a Racer from Anchorage Alaska

Date Reviewed: October 19, 1999

Strengths:
i would have to say the stem held up to a hell of a beating, the front stx derailleur, and the stx-rc crankset and thats about it.

Weaknesses:
everything not mentioned above but it held out quite a while though so i cant bitch too much

Bottom Line:
this bike took a hell of a beating for about two years before the frame finally started to give(mysterious creaks and a bent derailleur hanger suck) but it gave me almost nothing but podium (provided we had one) finishes so it worked out for the best but if your on a budget and want the most bang for your buck then you should look into this bike it will stand up to quite a beating. I'm giving it four stars for the frame going to hell

Hilltop Area

2 Years

cannondales and every other chromoly hardtail out there

97 raleigh m-80 frame, rockshox quadra 5 fork, '98 lx v-brakes, spin composite wheels, sram esp 9.0 shifter/derailleur, sram 9.0 brake levers, bontrager crow bar.

Submitted by Brian Hileman a Weekend Warrior from Porterville CA.

Date Reviewed: September 9, 1999

Strengths:
Frame, componets ,The name Raleigh has been around so long

Weaknesses:
Fork & Tires

Bottom Line:
I have a review posted at the M-60 site last Feb 14(This site for M-80 was not here yet) This is the absolute best bike that you can get for the money. I've made so many up-grades since my original $550.00 purchase; Manatou SX, Bontranger, S.P.D pedals, LX v-brakes, Mavic 221 rims, Kore stem & bar, Tioga X/C tires , & lastly a Rock Shox suspension seat post. Most parts were bought at blow-out prices for big savings. This is one of the nicest bikes around when I'm out riding. The up-grades on this bike make it perform & ride like one costing $1,500 to $2,000. The only reason I even spent $$ on up-grades, was the quality of the frame, some of the best welds in the buisness are found on Raleigh bikes. For the rest of you guys that are thinking of up-grading your M-80, GO FOR IT! Even just the wheels & shock change will blow you away. This is by far the best bike I've had, no problems yet, and I've put over 300 beat the shit outta ya miles on it. Anybody riding the fireroads in the Hot Springs Dist. or Quaking Aspen area, If you catch sight of the red crome M-80, just grin as I blow by you, and pack yer teeth with dirt!

Fire-roads @ Quaking Aspen

1 Year

G.T. Timberline

M-80, Not stock at all!

Submitted by Mark a Cross-Country Rider from Terrell, tx.

Date Reviewed: September 1, 1999

Strengths:
Price, content, color

Weaknesses:
saddle, tires

Bottom Line:
I bought my M80 as a 40th birthday gift to myself. Its a '97 model, green in the 18 size. I paid $439 as a closeout model. I got it because of its STX components and the shock. I going to fix it up as a commuter bike. I've added a rack and plan to get fenders later. I did have a problem fitting a u-lock bracket to it but I ended up putting it on the right fork blade where it works out ok. The Hypersoft gel saddle (upgrade) is causing a problem with the fat down under but I may replace it with a leather Brooks saddle. I changed the tires to 1.5' ones to get more pavement smoothness. I need to change to a shorter steeper stem also. Otherwise I have no complaints about the way the bike works.

White Rock Trail

1 Year

Trek 750

stock chromo, slight raised bar, tires changed to 1.5' width, Quadro 5 shock, Kalloy shockpost, gel saddle

Submitted by Chris Forsythe a Cross-Country Rider from Lake Hopatcong

Date Reviewed: August 16, 1999

Strengths:
Value, strength, and weight.

Weaknesses:
Stem, handlebars, seat, and pedals.

Bottom Line:
The Raleigh M-80 has met all of my requirements for an entry level MTB. The guys at Rt. 15 Bicycle steered me towards this bike and explained that for quite a bit less than other brands I could have better components. Better for less. I went with minor upgrades to fit my personal riding style, but I have been nothing but pleased with the overall performance and handling of this bike. Definitely research Raleigh if you're in the market for a new ride.

Mahlon Dickerson Reservation

3 months

N/A

M-80
Upgraded the pedals to Shimano 545 clipless, went with the Bontrager Crowbar Race for the handlebars, and a 110mm by 10 degree stem. Suspension-Rockshok JettC 45mm travel. Will one day upgrade fork but for now it meets my needs.

Submitted by Jay A. a Cross-Country Rider from Baldwin Park, CA

Date Reviewed: August 11, 1999

Strengths:
The frame is great for climbing and acceleration. It also has good components and a great ride

Weaknesses:
The fork just need to be upgraded and the seat post, should use a quick release..... Planning to upgrade it to a Manitou SPyder. And kevlar tires (IRC)

Bottom Line:
Like Raleigh bikes said....Bang for the buck!
A very good deal and a great bike for begginers and intermediate riders. You can't go wrong on this bike quality and value, a rare gem!

carbon canyon park bonnelli park

less than 1 month

Fuji M-80 ??

Hello all, I am looking at a Fuji M-80 mountain bike. It's used and pretty inexpensive. The problem I'm having is I can't find any reference to this bike. Fuji doesn't seem to have any information on older models. Bikepedia doesn't even mention it. I don't know if this a Walmart quality bike (i.e ... Read More »

Almost 80 degrees....I'm going ride'n!

Almost 80 degrees....I'm going ride'n :) [IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2199/1862171650_dfe493fad8.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2111/1862172120_31cf94fb53.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2336/1861347589_294353bac4.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://farm3.static.f ... Read More »

M-80 Tire Clearance

Anyone know if I can fit a 2.35 maxxis on my 2004 M-80? [IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/allenforbis/bike02.jpg[/IMG]Read More »

2004 M-80 BB size 68 or 73 ?

I want to switch my Race Face Square Taper BB on my Ventana to my M-80. Not sure if it will fit ? I think the Ventana takes 73. The BB I have is about 4-5 years old..the red one. Not sure if you can us it on 68 & 73 ? Any body know the size that the M-80 takes ? Thanks. CRRead More »