Raleigh Inferno SX Bike 1998 or Older

4.25/5 (4 Reviews)

Raliegh Inferno SX

Submitted by Chandev Abhay a Weekend Warrior from London, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2004

Strengths:    I like the chromoly frame. Strong yet not too heavy to throw around. Fast Bike

Weaknesses:    I had to change the cranks because they broke but Champion replaced them under warranty. Brakes could be better

Bottom Line:
I love the bike. It easily adapted to become an extension of me. Good control over rough trails, tree roots and large pebble river beds etc. I'll have to do something about the brakes, but don't plan on changing anything else. Very happy with it and highly recommend it to weekend warriors over buying a department store bike.

Favorite Trail:   any I can find

Purchased At:   Champion Bikes, London, ON

Similar Products Used:   Trek

Bike Setup:   normal except for Pace Radical saddle.

Submitted by James Dad a Cross Country Rider from Calgary, Alberta Canada

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2003

Strengths:    Well made, never had any trouble with it, ever.

Weaknesses:    Chromoly frame is heavier than aluminum, but it is strong. Tires wear on road, but seem fine on xc trailes.

Bottom Line:
This bike has been surprisingly good. I took a tumble and totally cut myself up. My helmet is a mess and by the time the nurses bandaged me up I looked like I was in a body cast. The bike, is just fine with no sign whatsoever of any damage. After the fall, I had to get to the hospital somehow so I climbed back on the bike and rode, leaving a trail of blood behind me.

Even the shocks are still fine after 3 years of downhills, xc, the occasional wheelie, and a single somersault over the handlebars.

I'm in the market for a new bike but I'm not selling mine because it is a great backup bike. If you see a used one for a cheap price ($100), it might be worth thinking getting if you want a decent bike that is better than the department store bikes.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere in the Rocky Mountains

Purchased At:   Bow Cycle Calgary (2001)

Similar Products Used:   Giant Rincon, Trek 4300, Kona Cinder Cone

Bike Setup:   Stock. Acera front and rear derailleurs. Zone front fork (maybe made by RSA but who knows).

Submitted by Dan Grant a Cross Country Rider from Ingersoll

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2002

Strengths:    Great Handling, Top Of The Line Deraluer, Well Balanced, Very Fast On Or Off Road, Good Shocks

Weaknesses:    Problem with brakes tightning up all the time. Tires wear too fast.

Bottom Line:
Very slick looking price and very fun to ride thanks to its tires it get very good speed and control in anything but mud. The best bike I have ever seen. E-mail me for more info at Jack_Boltca@yahoo.ca This is a good bike for all levels of bikers. Personally I wouldn,t trade it for any other bike there is.

Favorite Trail:   Anyone I can get too