Proflex 757 Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.66/5 (38 Reviews)

Proflex 757 Bike

Submitted by EdwardOliver a Cross Country Rider from London

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2009

Strengths:    Best climber ever. Slick, plush ride. Light for a full suspension.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Around 12 years ago, when I was 17, I used to race mountain bikes and had at the time a Cannondale Delta V 700 - great bike.

But then I went on a 1 week holiday to the Swiss Alps & hired one of these things. It was a revelation!

I guess it says it all that an Alpine MTB rental place was using it - because boy, does this bike climb well.

All I remember is whizzing up-hill with miracle-like ease. The grip was phenomenal from the rear shock, combined with the low weight.

Anyway, I'm 30 now, and have just bought one second hand off ebay a few moments ago - for a mere 500 bucks!

Can't wait for it to arrive, because the fact I remember how good it rode - after 12 long years - tells you just how much I rate this bike.

I recently tried a few new full suspension bikes from 2009, but wasn't as impressed as I remember feeling 12 years ago on this Pro-Flex. So it's a no-brainer between spending $3,000 on a new bike just because it has slightly more modern technology, vs. spending a mere few hundred dollars on this machine with its perfect geometry and supreme climbing ability.

And of course the descents weren't bad either!

FIND ONE. BUY ONE. RIDE ONE.

...because you're looking at the bargain of the century second hand.

Favorite Trail:   Swiss Alps

Purchased At:   Second hand, ebay

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Delta V 700

Bike Setup:   standard.

Submitted by Ian Humphreys a Cross Country Rider from Salisbury

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2002

Strengths:    Light, strong hard wearing bike. Perfect for cross country riding.

Weaknesses:    They do not make it any more

Bottom Line:
I last posted on this bike in April 1997. Still have it and still love it. It has now covered thousands of miles. I have breathed new life into it by losing 50lbs in weight (me not the bike!) and by getting much fitter. Most of the components have been replaced but the suspension pivots and Girvin fork and still going strong. The Noleen shocks have given up and I have replace the back with a Risse Astro 5 and am waiting for a Risse Genesis up front. This has really improved its performance and has made it even lighter. If you get the chance to buy one, go for it as it should be cheap but excellent XC bike. Anyone got some carbon Xlinks they do not need?

Favorite Trail:   Wessex

Purchased At:   Lesiure Lakes

Similar Products Used:   Older Proflexs

Bike Setup:   757, Mavic Cross Ride wheel set, Xlite stubbie bar ends, Risse Astro 5 rear shock.

Submitted by Simon a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2002

Strengths:    Frame set
Handling
Still looks good

Weaknesses:    Noisy Girvin forks
Lack of service support for Noleen shocks in the UK

Bottom Line:
Cannot fault the 757, appart from the noisy Girvin front end. This bike is in its element on muddy UK trails and single track and also climbs very well due to the stiff rear shock. I have owned my bike for over 3 years now, and have enjoyed every ride. Highly recomended. 4 chillis only due to the lack of support from K2 in the UK

Favorite Trail:   Rivington, Lancs

Purchased At:   Leisure Lakes

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR
Cannondale

Bike Setup:   Standard setup

Submitted by phil burrill a Weekend Warrior from lynn ma

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2002

Strengths:    great strong frame! I weigh 240 + and no cracks or problems highly reccomended framset.

Weaknesses:    Crappy noisy noleen front fork.

Bottom Line:
The nollen n2 rear shock, is a worthwhile mod if your rig doesn't have one. I still need a stiffer front fork. rear suspension creaks if you don't keep up on lubing it. but is a strong frameset worthy of building up. Reccommend to any weekend warrior looking for a fairly light strong framset.
5 chilis on value, got mine used, 5 chilis overall due to great frameset!!

Favorite Trail:   lynn woods / bradley palmer

Purchased At:   used @ mtbr

Similar Products Used:   cannondale & assorted cheap crap

Bike Setup:   indy xc rock shox, better than noleen front for but this fork flexs like crazy! azonic stem, hellbent riser, salsa ends, noleen n2 rear shock.

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Ontario

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2002

Strengths:    Will more than suit any riding style.

Weaknesses:    Been riding it for 4 years and still have not found one!

Bottom Line:
The best all around bike that I have ever pushed! With 12 years riding and racing experience, I will never buy any other make of bike, or model for that matter!! If you are a "Go Hard or Go Home" free-style/cross country rider this is the best bike for your intrests. Living 4 hours north of Toronto, Canada, (alot of bush and rock)our trail system is very well developed. Name your flavour of trail and we have an abundance to select from. Riding 7 days a week, avg. 70-90 kms/ day and also doing the odd winter riding on ski hills and cross-country sking trails, I have put many of my bikes to the test and not one bike has ever performed as well or problem free as my Proflex 757.

Favorite Trail:   Beaver pond

Purchased At:   The Outside Store

Similar Products Used:   GT,Specalized,Trek,Brodie

Submitted by Neale a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: October 8, 1999

Strengths:
Design,
Strength,
Weight
Looks (I like 'em)

Weaknesses:
Original component level
Mavic Rims :(
Noleen shocks

Bottom Line:
I picked the 757 up as a pre-abused bargain about 18 months ago. When I got it it was pretty well stripped right down, and an Onza Seatpost, Syncros riser bar, XTR controls, XTR BB & Crankset,535 pedals,XTR RR rear der, XT VBrakes, carbon brake booster on rear, and the LX/Mavic 238 wheelset was replaced by a Rigida DP22 wheelset. These changes dropped about 3lb off the weight.In this form it was thrashed for about 12-15 months, and its weight and climbing and descending capabilities make it just about a perfect XC Full Suspension bike, the CrossLink fork is better than telescopic designs (easily checked against a '97 beast which is the same design except for the fork) when climbing and it doesn't flex like many telescopic fronts I've tried.Over the last three months or so it's had its second round of upgrades, XTR front der, Syncros XLT/Specialized & Sachs wheelset, Tioga Ultralite tubes, Easton Monkeylite Hi-Rise carbon riser bar and Risse Racing Genesis airshocks front and rear. These changes dropped ANOTHER 2-3lb off the weight and it handles even better than it used to, lighter rims & tubes make a big difference to how it feels accelerating or braking, and the other 2-2 1/2lb off the bike (rear hub, Risse shocks and Monkeylite bar) make it much easier to throw around, the 1 1/2lb or so off the front, in particular, makes a big differrence as I can get the front up far more easily. The Risse shocks, as well as being much lighter, have a better feel than the old NR1s, and let me go from a stiff to plush suspension.I'm still tossing up as to whether I follow up the third wave, the Precision Billet brakes and WTB VP250 pedals that I couldn't get because they aren't available at the moment, carbon fork legs and swingarm (ala 957), and seeing whether I can live with racing semi slicks (Kenda Kozmik Lites). These changes would drop another lb or so, but its dubuious whether the function improvements would be enough to make it worth it. Everything to date has significally improved the function of the bike, the weight drops were a (quite) nice side benefit of the other reasons for getting the parts.I really don't understand the amount of bashing the ProFlexes in general get, the '97 design, at least, is brilliant for cross country and tight technical riding, and I'll be keeping (and enjoying) mine for quite a while yet (or until I break it, which I think is the same thing).

The Oaks

1 Year

ProFlex 656
'96 & '97 ProFlex Beast
GT GTS
Specialized FSR
Iron Horse G Spot

Stock headset & stem,Easton Monkeylite riser,'97 XTR Shifter/Brake combos,Onza seatpost,Specialized revolution seat,Risse Genesis airshocks,XT V Brakes with Shimano Carbon Brake Booster on the rear,'98 XTR BB & Crankset,Shimano 535 pedals,'97 XTR Fr & RR Rear Der,XTR/XT Ti 11-32 cassette,Specialized Superfly front hub,Sachs Quarz rear hub,Syncros XLT rims,Panaracer DusterII tyres

Submitted by Jan Ove a Downhiller from Norway

Date Reviewed: October 7, 1999

Strengths:
God jumping and climbing.

Weaknesses:
Ugly coler

Bottom Line:
This is a very good bike.

Submitted by Milton a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: August 5, 1999

Strengths:
Great for climbing and jumping (landing).

Weaknesses:
Noisy.

Bottom Line:
I have had my bike for a while. It has taken a beating and kept on going. This last spring I did put some money into the suspension and drive train. It is a great bike with only one problem. It is nosiy

Tsali, NC

more than 3 years

Canondale

Submitted by Ken a Cross-Country Rider from Stonington, CT

Date Reviewed: May 20, 1999

Strengths:
This bike climbs like a raped ape on speed. I can out climb several of my friends without a problem. The handling is really sweet with the girvin fork. I need to find tires to match the cornering performance.

Weaknesses:
t is the only bitch I have.

Bottom Line:
I bought my bike in December of '97 after months of research. I also couldn't beat a $500 off sale price. Every ride for me is not only relaxing but also a learning Experience. I love my bike.

Bluff Pt. Groton CT

1 Year

I tried to climb a hill at Miller's pond on my friend's Y-11 and it just didn't feel right. Too much suspension bob.

Everything on my bike is original except for a replaced Rear derail', Avid FlakJacket cables and Rollamajig. Oh yea and a new Sachs PC61 chain.

Submitted by Maia a Cross-Country Rider from Portugal

Date Reviewed: May 20, 1999

Strengths:
Great frame, awesome front fork, shocks, low maintenance, stability at high speed, easy climbing

Weaknesses:
Rear strut doesn't allow to use other shocks than Nollen, sadlle, rims

Bottom Line:
It's a pitty that I can't use a different shock in the rear, although the NR-1 is very good. I don't like the Mavic 238 rims (considering on Mavic's Crossmax rims) and the saddle was very fragile. Everything else is super and in general worth 5 chilis!!!! (PS- A lot of falls and injuries to those guys who have 1 in this review)

Proflex Beast, Grisley Nimbus, Cannondale Raven

X-lite kevlar saddle,Titec Hellbent handlebar, different spring rate

Submitted by Maia a Cross-Country Rider from Portugal

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
Rear strut doesn't allow to use other shocks than Nollen, sadlle, rims

Proflex Beast, Grisley Nimbus, Cannondale Raven

X-lite kevlar saddle,Titec Hellbent handlebar, different spring rate

Submitted by Ricardo a Weekend Warrior from Porto

Date Reviewed: March 15, 1999

Bottom Line:
The Best.
Buy it now.

Submitted by John a downhiller from Australia

Date Reviewed: January 20, 1999

Bottom Line:

Proflex is the best bike i have ever ridden,it takes those huge drop offs with ease.All my other friends have GTs and treks,they all won't to ride my bike.It's the best bike for downhilling.And I haven't even changed anything on it,it has all the standard supension,and it works like a dream machine. IT'S THE BEST

Submitted by Thor a cross-country rider from Hong Kong

Date Reviewed: August 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

My dad bought me the bike this easter. It's my first own bike. The condition is good... even I've crashed several times in the first 2 month I've purchase (except the Girvin fork)... Later on, I've replaced my Girvin fork by a 96' Rock Shox SL fork, and the spring of my rear suspension has tuned harder for the hilly road(s) of Hong Kong. Until now, my bike is very comfortable, even in high speed. Lastly, here's my comment -- its great!Thumb up: it's very comfortable even in high speed!
Thumb down: it's hard to race w/ my friends who owned a cross-country bike (even I've tuned my suspension both to hard)!

Submitted by Teamsterdave a downhiller from Las Vegas,Nevada (USA)

Date Reviewed: August 7, 1998

Bottom Line:

I owned my 1st Proflex in 1994, it was a 454. Last year I got a 757, this month I am getting a 756. Proflex is #1 !!! I have owned Diamond Back,Trek,Specialized,and even Cannondale. Proflex is little more expensive but, d'ont take my word for it , get over to your nearest Proflex/Girvin or K2 dealer. Happy Trails to ya!