Proflex 756 Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.5/5 (12 Reviews)

Proflex 756

Submitted by Ian a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2012

Strengths:    Excellent multi-use bike! I bought it new in 95 in CO Springs while in college. It was used for a month or two and has been in the garage ever since due to a very demanding career. I agree with the 11 previous reviews on this vintage breakthrough full suspension bike.

Weaknesses:    Hard to find!

Bottom Line:
If anyone wants this bike, e-mail me at itoogood@msn.com. I may be willing to let my near-mint bike go for the right price. All original parts, except tires!

Duration Product Used:   1 month, in 1995!

Purchased At:   Grand West Outfitter

Bike Setup:   Factory plus new tires, H2O bottle, and tool kit.

Submitted by Bryan

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2012

Strengths:    Love this bike! I got it for $85. Very strong bike.

Weaknesses:    i believe the hanger is messed up and wont shift correctly. I am going to replace soon.

Bottom Line:
Love this bike! I got such an amazing deal on it. It needed some new parts but it was ridable. Now I am putting money into it to bring it back to full life so I can rip up some trails! Can't wait!

Submitted by PAphil a Weekend Warrior from henderson

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2011

Strengths:    Great Bike

Weaknesses:    No weakness

Bottom Line:
I have a 1998 Proflex 756. I have the frame with all original parts. Original grivin forks. Elastomers are gone but all parts of the shocks are perfect. I am thinking about restoring the bike, but in medical school so money is super tight. Guys that have a good knowledge of the worth of the bike please let me know its value. I am interested in selling it for the right price. It has been in storage for almost 8 years. Just looking for some help from people that appreciate the uniqueness of the proflex bike and its value. thanks

Favorite Trail:   backyard

Purchased At:   cycle shop in chino,

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from Nipomo, California, USA

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2010

Strengths:    I love this bike. I had cannondales before, but this bike rocks!

Weaknesses:    I just wanedt to say I found a site that sells replacement elastomers for $45.00 at http://www.suspensionforkparts.net/eshop/index.php. I need to order a set myself for the front and rear shocks and I think this vendors replacement parts should do the trick. Hope this helps!

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that I have enjoyed riding this bike. My 16 old has just started to ride it and can make it do things that I only dreamed of. Once, I replace the melted elastomers, it will be like having a brand new bike again.

Purchased At:   Friend

Submitted by nneptune22 a Cross Country Rider from Little Rock , AR USA

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2010

Strengths:    This is a great bike. Both elastomers are in great shape. It climbs with ease and rocky down hills are a breeze. It is very light and responsive.

Weaknesses:    The gear shifts suck. That's about it.

Bottom Line:
I know Pro Flex is out of business, but I would and will buy all I can find. What a bike! The down side is the elastomers seem to be hard to find and converting to gas shock can be expensive. There are a few sites that offer the elastomers for around 50.00 US. If anyone has a Pro Flex and would like to sell shoot me an e-mail at nneptune22@yahoo.com.

Favorite Trail:   River trail

Purchased At:   craigs list

Submitted by Don johnson a Cross Country Rider from Dayton nv usa

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2010

Strengths:    fork

Weaknesses:    not shure about parts

Bottom Line:
Bought the bike used,I change the seat,seat post and stem,tune it up.I live where it is very rocky and most of the time 2" to 3" of true suspention travel is all that is need.

Favorite Trail:   Flume trail

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   Marin Vision pro,GF 29er

Bike Setup:   lx group

Submitted by TGS a Cross Country Rider from Syracuse,NY

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2009

Strengths:    Durability!! This from is bullet proof.

Weaknesses:    Immediately upgraded to xt shifters,derailers and brakes. Added clipless pedals and lighter rubber and was off the races at about 25lbs. (back in 94-95 this was great)

Bottom Line:
I still ride this bike a lot. It is getting near impossible to replace the elastomer's. The girvin fork still works great as does the rear suspension, Although I have it screwed it down pretty hard and am only getting about 1-3 inches out of it.

Favorite Trail:   Friday ride Hilo,HI

Purchased At:   Hilo Bike Hub

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale cad3.. broke the frame.

Submitted by robert meurant a Cross Country Rider from melbourne, australia

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2009

Strengths:    Loved the bike from the start, lighter than most full suspension bikes it was a favourite here, all models up to animal and beast

Weaknesses:    elastomers either harden or melt.New elastomers are available from Rapid Descent Scotland.... www.rapiddescentscotland

Bottom Line:
I will continue to use mine as long as i can.(I'm 60 now!)

Favorite Trail:   all available

Purchased At:   cycle works melbourn

Similar Products Used:   none....still using mine

Bike Setup:   full sram xo groupset

Submitted by greenforest56 a Cross Country Rider from Antioch, CA

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2009

Strengths:    good suspension, reliable

Weaknesses:    weight, a bit heavy, and grip shifts, never shifted very well.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike new. Full suspension was still working out the kinks. I tried about a dozen bikes and this was the best. The fork is still an excellent fork, no deflexion at all. I noticed the new bike I am thinking of getting, Cannondale Rize, uses the same rear suspension. Proflex was the first company, IMO, to get full suspension right. I even like the bumpers. No mainenance, utterly reliable, last for years. You can still buy them from K2 which bought Proflex.

Altogether, this is an excellent cross country bike for the recreational rider. If you can buy this bike used and it is in good shape, get it.

Favorite Trail:   China camp state park

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   rockhopper

Bike Setup:   stock except for v-brakes

Submitted by DEE T a Cross Country Rider from N.Y. N.Y.

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2007

Strengths:    Nice looking bike,pretty decent ride in the streets,trails ok,didn't have it long enough to really review it fairly!

Weaknesses:    Rear suspension.

Bottom Line:
I liked this bike alot,seemed great for the the time i had it,my friend bought it & it's still going.I don't really see to many anymore,If i could find one for a decent price I would proablly pick it up for a second bike again!

Favorite Trail:   forest hills

Purchased At:   FRIEND

Similar Products Used:   Gary fisher,Mountain cycle

Bike Setup:   All stock,except Spin wheels & bontrager revolt ss tires

Submitted by Jake a Downhiller from San luis obispo

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2003

Strengths:    Overall Frame design and duribility was very impressive. The Proflex components performed well beyond expectation

Weaknesses:    The rubber elastimers. trouble up grading or replacing
stock option components , shifters, derailuer, brakes. didnt last long

Bottom Line:
This was was my first suspension bike. I was just getting into biking when I got it. That year I moved to mammoth mnt Ca. My riding time and experience greatly increased. I worked in the bike park giving tours and lessons eventually. I also raced a bit..DH and DS in the world cup.
The Proflex 756 took all of it without issue. Ive made up grades here and there but even now I still ride the same bike and see no reason to change.

Favorite Trail:   Kamikaze(retired)

Purchased At:   Slo Switchbax

Similar Products Used:   working at the park, I had accsess to all the top demo bikes of the time. shcwinn straight six was big then

Submitted by Gordon Peterson a Weekend Warrior from Seattle, Wa, USA

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2003

Strengths:    Lightweight, durable, sturdy

Weaknesses:    noisy rear bushings, company bought out by K2 (hard to find parts)

Bottom Line:
I got this frame set for $50!!!! Added a rock shock judy and a fox vanilla rear spring, deore hubs, cranks, pedals and brakes, rapid fire shifters, araya rims and geax tires. This bike rides great in all conditions. Rear arm bushings creak and moan a bit, but you get used to it. Frame is very light. I've been told that this frame is valued between 300 to 500 bucks depending on condition. If you find one cheap like I did I suggest you grab it. Ditch the elastomer rear shock. It sucks.

Favorite Trail:   Tiger Mountain