Proflex 657 Bike 1998 or Older

4.79/5 (29 Reviews)

Proflex 657

Submitted by Ken Ray

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2012

Strengths:    The 657 expert is a dream bike i bought it in 1997 and still have today 2012 and still right it albeit not as hard as I use to. I replaced tires and one set of rim with same rims as i destroyed them. When I bought the bike I upgraded the componenets to XT and V brakes my brakes pull better then most disk brakes and even better in muddy conditions. Yes I paid extra but but 15 yrs later my bike is still a runner. it proforms as well as my brothers 2010 FS rockhopper with disk brakes. I can stay on the same trails and do the same stuff with my OLD BIKE.

Weaknesses:    As stated head set but my dealer fixxed it at no cost to me with a aheadset never a problem again.

Bottom Line:
This bike that I own my son who is 14 now likes to ride it. Comfortable in XC and road conditions sleek through the woods. My bike costed a little more with the XT package but as I stated 15 yrs later my son loves this bike. I have rode this bike HARD and put it away wet sprayed it off and little maintenance this bike still shines today. OH yeah and I am 275 lbs changed the rear yellow spring with a purple spring 300 lbs rating never have bottomed out my NOLEEN shock. I lived in VEGAS for 6 yrs and it NEVER melted... you know 110 degrees on the valley floor 130 on the mesa. been in the michigan winters 30 below and it still a great bike..

Submitted by acomacgeo@yahoo.com a Downhiller from rochester,new york;usa

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2011

Strengths:    this is a beast if you get one or find one never let no one ride cause they may never come back and give their wife

Weaknesses:    none i can see cause i treat it like my mother

Bottom Line:
if u get one keep some good tires on it and ride every chance you get

Favorite Trail:   anywhere

Purchased At:   apo mail order

Bike Setup:   657 stock

Submitted by psp2008psp a Downhiller from Brx,Brklyn,NYC

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2010

Strengths:    No matter what you say. I got a Great Deal. The body/frame is fairly lightweight and strong. This bike is for Racing. This this frame and upgrade it. The Rims are Mavic Brand. Pedals have a tight grip. This is the Best Bike I've very brought for $40.

Weaknesses:    The shocks will melt if used on a hot sunny day. I've replaced my rear suspension with a mini coil shock obtained from a kids bike. The Handle bars is flat and low which hurts the wrist. You must Replace Front and Rear Shocks to take full advantage of this bike. I'm giving this baby DownHill Front Suspension in 3 months.

Bottom Line:
This bike is worth about $700 Brand New which I do not recommend as of 05/19/10 but I will pay $300 for it but since the shocks melt then I will only pay $150 max mainly for frame and rims.

Purchased At:   DrugAddict at Ray's

Similar Products Used:   I've compared this to my friends Cannondale F400 with a bad front head shock and his bike seems to accelerate and stay in speed for a longer duration but then again many technical details apply. After all, it is a Cannondale.

Bike Setup:   I have it plain like factor setup but with coil shock replaced on the back which gives some bounce. Please get yourself a Bell's gel seat with 2 white get air bubbles on the side for the best comfort.

Submitted by chessmaster a Weekend Warrior from Alanta, Ga, USA

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2009

Strengths:    strong, good uphill, light, fast

Weaknesses:    shocks are hard to replace

Bottom Line:
this is my first non-walmart bike, it needs way less matinence than my old bike, and is much stronger, overall it is the best bike that I hanve ever ridden. I would defentally reconmend this to beginers and pro.s

Purchased At:   craigslist.com

Submitted by Karen Hensley a Weekend Warrior from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2007

Strengths:    This is actually a review of the Proflex 656, which has no category in this forum. Works great still after nearly 10 years of use. Rapid Descent in Scotland now makes new elastomers for the suspension, so I finally got rid of the old yellow ones. The Girvin Vector II fork is light weight This is an excellent trail bike with just enough rear suspension to take up the shocks and initiate going over obstacles. Reliable design. Even when the old elastomers were frozen I could ride the bike on trails as if it were a no-suspension mountain bike.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
If you don't know the saga of the frozen/melted yellow elastomers on these great bikes, you can read it somewhere else. Just this year Rapid Descent made new elastomers available reviving ProFlex bikes.

I was looking at new bikes to replace mine with before I found the new parts, and I came in on my old Proflex 656. They guy at the bike store (not the owner!) said I had an excellent bike already and I would have to go quite high to beat it. That was last week!

The amount of rear travel is minimal by modern standards, but being a compression of elastic material it does not ever bottom out - a bigger force causes a little more travel. I have never felt any bounce when pedaling.

I considered putting a more modern shock fork on mine, but it is just way cool with the Givin fork on it. People come over to look and to talk to me about it.

If you are looking to get in to a bit of off-pavement mountain biking cheap and can find one of these, it is a responsive, quality bike that would be much a better start than no suspension. I got this bike while my husband had a no-suspension bike because it gave me the confidence to keep up with him on the trail and it smoothed out the jolts on my body. Check out the elastomer situation before you buy, a full replacement set costs $85.

Favorite Trail:   Tapeworm

Purchased At:   REI, new full bike.

Similar Products Used:   1988 Schwinn Sierra no-suspension mountain bike, which was excellent and is still being ridden hard by the "new" owner.

Bike Setup:   Totally stock. LX components. Girvin Vector II front fork.

Submitted by Pat a Weekend Warrior from Golden Valley Minnesota

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2001

Strengths:    The front shock, nothing else can compare to it, Girvin is awsome.
The swing arm set up.

Weaknesses:    The front shock will come loose.
The crank or something will tent to creek, but can be fixed.
Is heavier than other rear suspention bikes.

Bottom Line:
Great bike, I'd recoment it to anyone who is looking for a bike. The Profelx is also a very comfy bike to ride around town. The components that are on the bike aren't greatest but with a few adjustments it will be just right. The only problem is you can't enhance the front and rear shock. It also weighs kind of a lot compared to some other rear suspention bikes, but it is a good bike for what I paid. The Proflex 657 series is also very rare so you may not see many people riding it, but it is still a great bike. If you are looking for a bike go for the Profle 657 series!

Favorite Trail:   Afton Alps

Purchased At:   Bennet Cycle ( now Super Go)

Similar Products Used:   none other

Bike Setup:   XT and XTR

Submitted by Chris Hamilton a Weekend Warrior from Roseville,CA USA

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2001

Strengths:    the frame is awsome but it skweaks when i ride downhill or when im downhilling front shock sucks rims suck bracks suck too!!!

Weaknesses:    head set came lose and broke.

Bottom Line:
The bike is good for cross country riding not downhilling.but all of the awsome stuff i stuck on it makes my bike cool!

Favorite Trail:   folsom lake/american river

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback X2,FSR,trek Y frame,GT

Bike Setup:   Front shock Manitou X vert DC,Spinergy Rev X Wheels,V brakes in front rear VC 700 suck XT in front LX rear.

Submitted by Peekay a Weekend Warrior from Claremont

Date Reviewed: September 26, 1999

Strengths:
cheap price, i purchased from irvine bikesource for $600. good climber considering full suspension

Weaknesses:
a bit heavy and cheap stock headset (mine blew but irvine changed it for free) but hey it didn't cost much did it?

Bottom Line:
great full suspension bike for the price. frame a bit heavy and not enough travel on front fork. never had any mechanical problems and holds up great but do change the headset though.

1 Year

xt deraillers, shifters, and brakes, kalloy riser bars, power tools stem and diacompe headset.

Submitted by paul ballerstein a Cross-Country Rider from Presque Isle, ME

Date Reviewed: September 8, 1999

Strengths:
price, looks, full suspesion that works

Weaknesses:
headset that blew (like everyone else's?)
brakes

Bottom Line:
A good deal, but I was hoping to get the stiction out of all the suspension bushings by upgrading to bearings and also speed springs. If you have info or know where to get some please help

6 months

Submitted by David a Cross-Country Rider from Charlotte, NC

Date Reviewed: June 11, 1999

Strengths:
awesome bike, I reviewed it earlier, just wanted to say I'm still lovin' it, made some serious upgrades too

Weaknesses:
none what-so-ever!

Bottom Line:
buy one now!!!, funnest bike I've ever had

Cane Creek

6 months

same as my first review

stock frame/fork/shock, but new downhill bar, SPD-515 pedals, full 99 XT group

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from A2, MI

Date Reviewed: May 10, 1999

Strengths:
Price. It's a 1997. Even last year it went for $650, and now it's at $600, if you can find them.Fun. This bike is just a lot more fun than other bikes I've ridden (15 years of riding).

Weaknesses:
Full Suspension bikes in general don't come in a variety of sizes. I'm tall (6'5) and got the large size, which is still a bit small. The seat is way up, putting me over the h-bars. But there are no other FS that get any taller...The stock brakes, pedals and headset. You can upgrade to V-brakes for $25 (supergo.com) and a new headset for another $25-$50 that will put it in good order.

Bottom Line:
For $600, this bike gets the whole bin of chilis. If it were still retailing at $1400, I'd give it 3.8 hot ones.

single track behind my house

1 Year

Owned a series of Specialized/Trek hardtails, Front Shock bikes. Tried a variety of FS bikes. The 657 is no Litespeed, but it is as good as Specialized, GT, Trek, etc...

Stock setup, except for diacompe V-brakes, K-Alloy seat bar, Bontranger Ti seat, and a few other add ons.

Submitted by Kevin a Weekend Warrior from San Jose

Date Reviewed: May 5, 1999

Strengths:
Solid on downhill, smooth on climbs

Weaknesses:
Original shifters were so-so, upgrades definately a good idea.

Bottom Line:
Can't say enough about this bike-got it for less than half what the bike shops were selling the equivalent K2. Smooth on climbs, and rock solid on downhill(especially in the turns; right now i can use all the help i can get) Pretty light for a FS bike in this price range. Upgrade to clipless pedals and go. Got it at Irvine Bike Source-good price, but be sure to call back and CONFIPRM everything BEFORE the bike goes out.

GT, Trek, Giant

657 Titanium, GirvinShocks

Submitted by Eric a Cross-Country Rider from Lexington NC

Date Reviewed: April 19, 1999

Strengths:
Amazing comfort. Handles and climbs better than my hard tail. Rides like it's on rails. Not beaten up after a long ride. Dealt with Irvin Bike Source and didn't have any problems at all. Arrived in North Carolina within the 10 days promised.

Weaknesses:
Headset lasted two rides. First big hit and it was history. It really is a bad product when hooked up to the proflex. Switched to downhill bars and the endo's practically stopped. Eating dirt for the first two weeks wasn't a lot of fun.

Bottom Line:
After a few minor changes, the 657 is more than advertised. So far, it's a great bike.

3 months

I ordered the bike with the V-brake upgrade. Installed clipless, downhill bar, and new headset. It's a sweet ride

Submitted by David a Cross-Country Rider from Charlotte, NC

Date Reviewed: March 28, 1999

Strengths:
The downhills! This bike seems to jump at the chance to go downhill, and it gets very fast very quickly.

Weaknesses:
Don't ever buy anything from Irvine Bikesource, they screwed up my order 7 or 8 times, they are idiots!!!
I haven't busted the headset yet, but it will happen. My friend got the same bike and broke his after 1 week. I guess I'll just have to cough up some money for a new one when the tme comes.

Bottom Line:
This is one sweet bike, just don't get it from Bike Source unless you like to deal with incompitent people who can't ship things on time. It was $754 total, you can't beat that price on such an awesome bike. Great for beginners or experts.

Cane Creek

-99 XT V-Brakes w/99 LX Levers
-98 XT front derailleur.
-99 XT rear derailleur
-Clipless Pedals

Submitted by Chris Zelle a Cross-Country Rider from Shelton, CT.

Date Reviewed: March 22, 1999

Strengths:
Great frame, lightweight for a double boinger. Price 599.00 from Irvine bike Source

Weaknesses:
Girvin fork is OK, not great. CRAPPY HEADSET, BLEW IN TWO RIDES.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money, but spent a few dollars more when you order it and add the XT guts like i did ($26.00 more from bike source) and UPGRADE the headset like I wish I did. The Dia-Compe crap that came on it can't handle the forces the Girvin fork puts on it. The plastic top seal cracked and fell apart after TWO rides. Spend the bucks for a Chris King or RaceFace, you won't be sorry. Overall a sweet looking and riding frame, Climbs like a mountain goat, with no noticeable pogo stick feeling. I switched from a Cannondale F1000 (which I still have) so the Girvin fork is a little less plush than the Fatty 70 air/oil setup that I am used to. The STX hubs and cranks are the only low-line parts left which will probably need replacing about mid-season I figure.
BIKE(lx/stx)599.00
99XT upgrade 26.00
HEADSET 100.00
Riser bars 40.00
____________________
765.00 plus shipping
Still not too bad a price for what I got.
(Irvine Bike Source is NOT the most reliable mail order I have dealt with. Have your local shop inspect the bike before you ride it the first time.)

Westwoods