Performance M400 Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.43/5 (14 Reviews)

Performance M400 Bike

Submitted by Evil Yak a cross-country rider from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: September 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

Actually, this review is fer the Performance M-307... About half a year ago, I bought a Performance bike because it was a full sus bike and it was cheap. Over the next couple of months, I put it through the Yak test. Here are my reviews:
Well, the bike is a good ride. The RST 381L took up the bumps better than I would have expected from a fork in this price range. Unfortunately, there was slight flex when braking. Speaking of braking, the Diacompe Levers were comfortable and worked well with the Dia-Compe 737 brakes. They stopped on a dime, and without squealing.
In the rear, I was slightly disappointed, the suspension was handled by a Shockworks rear shock, which was slightly underdamped, causing the bike to bounce occasionally on really big hits. Other than that, it took the hits fairly well... A pet peeve I had was that the pivot on the bike was made up of a stupid bushing and bolt. After about three months, it began to develop play and had this annoying thud noise when the suspension was activated. There was no solution for that. Umm.. the bike itself is great. I would buy it just because it is such a good deal... you can expect more reviews later, when I have more time. 4 Chilies.-Yak

Submitted by George Cicotte a cross-country rider from Littleton, Colorado

Date Reviewed: May 28, 1998

Bottom Line:

Bought a '97 M407 on sale for $369 on 2/7/98. Must have looked like a great bike because on 2/15/98 it was stolen out of my garage. Lucky for mastercard purchase protection; I got another (all they had left was blue, which looks not nearly as good as the silver I had originally). Now to the substance: bike is great, only complaint is too much flex with the fork. Even during heavy breaking on smooth pavement you feel the fork flex A LOT. Still, this doesn't seem to affect performance too much, although I haven't done massive amounts of hard core trails with it yet -- the trails around here are just finally starting to dry out and get ridable. Overall, a good value & a solid bike. In general I think Performance is great because you get more bike for the money. (You're not paying for the advertising budget like you are with other more well known brands)

Submitted by Eric Z a weekend warrior from PA

Date Reviewed: April 13, 1998

Bottom Line:

I recently purchased a M-307 full suspension mountain bike. It has been great.
The top half of the frame is aluminum and the bottom chrome molly. I have crashed the bike twice, with no damage. It climbs well, and is good downhill.
Price was 532.00. Would be tough to find a full-suspension bike at that price
that rides as well. Great beginner bike.

Submitted by dom paranzino a weekend warrior from pa, usa

Date Reviewed: January 3, 1998

Bottom Line:

I i am thinking about buying a full suspension bike.
I have found a 97 performancxe M 307 for $539.00
with the following:
737 v-brake
shimimo Altus derailleurs + Altus hub
Rst 311L front shock
shock works repr shock
sachs wavy shiftersI am thinkng about getting a an indy c or judy xc front shock on it though
let me know if this is a god idea!
This is my first time buying a performance and a full suspension bike
and i need to know if it is a good deal and what i should add to it!
Please email me with your suggestions at
domiceman@juno.com

Submitted by Terry Shirk a cross-country rider from Philadelphia, PA

Date Reviewed: December 18, 1997

Bottom Line:

I recently bought a M-207 and I am extremely happy with it. I was a little skeptical of full suspension at first but it has saved my ass on downhills and hasn't hindered my climbing. It is surprising light, it doesn't way that much more than my friends M-205. I got a great deal because it was on sale and it had been repossed by the police after being stolen . It took off over a hundred dollars for a couple scratches. I payed $625. I am very happy with this bike.

Submitted by Eric Smelser a cross-country rider from phila,pa

Date Reviewed: December 18, 1997

Bottom Line:

I got a 205 a couple of years ago, it was on sale and had no suspension fork. But it was a great deal! It is LX, Gripshift compo for under $700. THe frame is great. All the other stuff can be upgraded (I got a new fork and what ever) but having a nice frame is a great place to start. Performance also has pretty good customer service. The salesman are a little stupid though.

Submitted by Don from cross-country rider

Date Reviewed: August 15, 1997

Bottom Line:

My evaluation is of the M205 frame. I purchased it as a replacement for my cro-mo after having been hit by a car. The price was excellent, since I couldn't touch any other aluminum hardtail for under $500. It comes with Easton pro-gram tubing, weighed in at 3.5lbs, and rode very well. I liked it enough to buy their newer M007 frame (Reynolds 853), which has geometry like the frames Bontrager produces(d). I've been told that the M007s are made through some agreement with Titec...can anyone clear this up for me? Over all, I can't give enouph credit to Performance upper level frame sets, but cannot comment on how they spec. the bikes, because I've been doing that myself...Five chilles.

Submitted by Lee Davis a weekend warrior from Durham, NC

Date Reviewed: July 3, 1997

Bottom Line:

My review is actually for the Performance M506. Being a first timer to hit the trails, this is an excellent bike and all I need to get started. Everything from the components to the servicing (two year free tune-ups) has far surpassed what I had expected. Granted, I don't win any contest for the coolest bike among the plethora of bike snobs you meet on the trail (particularly the ones who have daddy buy them bikes). But for the money and the beginner, this bike is outstanding. By the way, it is extremely durable, particularly since it is hauling around a 6'6', 250lb. novice. Thanks, Performance.

Submitted by Chris M. a weekend warrior from Iowa CIty, IA

Date Reviewed: June 19, 1997

Bottom Line:

I bought one of those M405's 2 years back. I've been commuting with it everyday to school and work (10 miles a day) and taking it out to the trails on the weekend. So far the only thing I've replaced is the tires and the seat. The only upgrade I have been seriously considering is to a suspension fork. The frame is great, the components are great for the price (stx), and the bike is extremely smooth.The coolest part of the M405 is the price; comparative bikes from Specialized and Gray Fisher cost 100-200 more. Now you know who pays for the ads you see in magazines.

Submitted by Nick a weekend warrior from Maryland

Date Reviewed: June 13, 1997

Bottom Line:

Ok, I just took my Preformance M407 out, and put it through hell(That includes it getting stopped dead by something other then the brakes and me going over the handle bars at a nice speed). I had already broken my old cheapo' raleigh on the same course. My friends hub got fragged, and I did about everything to crunch my bike. It held, and ran like a smooth summer's breeze afterwards. It ran me $400 on sale, was orginally $450. It has the RST 387L shock up front, and the total package is pretty light. All I can say is I got my monies worth and more. That is why I give it a full five, even though I'd give it more.

Submitted by Kelly Crowell a weekend warrior from CA

Date Reviewed: March 4, 1997

Bottom Line:

I am posting an update to my review on the M405 since my last review in July. About the only thing that is the same on this bike is the frame. I have had to replace just about every part. The bike came equipped with STX. I still have the cranks, but that's about it. The bike was not specd for someone that actually rides. The aluminum forks that came on the bike scared the hell out of me they flexed so much. If you are rough on parts, this bike is not for you. I must say, however, the frame is great. Very Stiff, and responsive. Probably worth the 550.00 I spent originally on the whole bike. I'v put another 700.00 into the bike, and with better equipment, purchases seem to be tapering off. Performance continues to give me decent service. Bottom Line.....You get a ridable bike for the price of a good frame. And you get a great frame. If you plan to ride it though, get out your wallet. Your not done spending money yet. 4 chiles for the frame. -2 chiles for the groupo.

Submitted by Frank Erkkila a weekend warrior from Redmond, Wa

Date Reviewed: February 22, 1997

Bottom Line:

The performance M405 is absolutely too cool to talk about. Actually I just bought it today, and it feels real good and it's got the light aluminum frame. I will give a better review after I've done some more riding. This bike is replacing my Giant Iguana that got ripped off. I really enjoyed that one too, but it was about 3 yrs old and nobody seems to be pumping up Giants like they used to.

Submitted by Brian Yowek a weekend warrior from San Jose CA

Date Reviewed: December 26, 1996

Bottom Line:

I own a Performance M-305 bike. This bike is excellent it is made with
chromoly (in fact the frame weighs the same as my brother in law's Richey).
The bike was entry-level,fully equip with Shimano LX components. I paid $600.00
for this bike.I notice no other major brand can offer me a deal like this.The only
down side no name brand seatpost,stem,and no shocks. Althogh,it is equip with Zoom
handlebars and Bontrager rims. Finally,the Panaracer tires do a goodjob on the trails.

Submitted by Kelly Crowell a weekend warrior from California Bay Area

Date Reviewed: June 18, 1996

Bottom Line:

I haven't seen anything on your site about Performance Bikes. I have been riding a M400 for about
a year now. This bike rides better than any Rockhopper I've been on. I really like dealing with Performance
because they always treat you right when you go into the shop. You know your getting a great deal for you money.
I am a biger rider at about 190 and really like how light this bike is. I've heard shop owners say that the
geometry is all wrong on the bike, but I don't buy that! Performance bikes can 'perform'(no pun intended)
with the best of them. Don't pass them by because they don't splatter themselves all over magazines!
Treat yourself to a great ride and still have some money left over for your girlfriend!