Pacific RIPTIDE Bike 1998 or Older

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)

RIPTIDE

Submitted by jeffdwier a Downhiller from Medford Lakes, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2009

Strengths:    very very long lifespan. good reliable parts

Weaknesses:    unavoidable obstacles due to age. i.e. rust, adjustments

Bottom Line:
I've had this bike ever since I got it as a birthday present when I was in second grade (yes it was big for me at the time but I grew into it). Now I am a freshman in college and I still ride it everywhere. And it's not like I let it sit in the garage the whole time, oh no, from kindergarten to 8th grade the kids in my town (including me) rode their bikes to school everyday no matter what time of year. I replaced the rear nuts with screw on pegs and everyone hijacks my bike since it can squeeze on a 2nd rider so it can handle a heavy load even after years of use. The gears need some adjusting and maintenance in the long run though, but that's nothing too serious. All in all, best bike ever!

Purchased At:   birthday present

Bike Setup:   Pegs...nice

Submitted by Matt McDermott a Weekend Warrior from Bethlehem, PA

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2006

Strengths:    super light, great price. good components but couldnt hurt to upgrade. i upgraded many of the components and its a solid rig now.

Weaknesses:    not too many, ran into very few problems with this bike during regular use, but stock parts couldnt stand up to excessive urban beating.

Bottom Line:
this was my dad's bike since the early 90s. i recently inherited it and started upgrading the components on it. turned into a mad good urban assault bike and has treated me very very well. beats up many of my friend's thousand dollar bikes as far as performance and ride-abilty goes. i upgraded the brakes on it to clamp style cantilevers because the stock brakes were a tiny bit lacky but other then that all of the stock components were wonderful.
take a look at my bike's page if you want to see what a Riptide looks like when its modded into an urban assault rig.

Bike Setup:   Pacific Riptide Frame, Manitou Six Fork, Haro X1 Stem, Truvativ Riser Bars, Truvativ Five-D Cranks, Mosh Platform Pedals, Maxxis Holy Roller Tires, ODI Ruffian Lock-on Grips

Submitted by Justin Galbraith a Weekend Warrior from Bobville, Kentucky, USA

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2000

Strengths:    Great bike. Awsome speed. Only 199.99. Good quality. Great brakes and shifting. Good for beginners.

Weaknesses:    Not very durable.

Bottom Line:
Great bike. Good for riding around town. You may want to install a suspension seat post if you are in crosscountrying.

Favorite Trail:   rabbit

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Hardtail 21-speed

Submitted by Dave Lano from Kearney, Nebraska

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2000

Strengths:    The shifting is great
Very light
Awesome brakes

Weaknesses:    For the pice it's awesome but It's not very durable.

Bottom Line:
I put 1000's of miles on this bike. Great for the price

Submitted by Joe a cross-country rider from OH

Date Reviewed: November 11, 1998

Bottom Line:

I got the Pacific brand Riptide today and it ROCKS! The Riptide has:SIS crank, SIS front and rear dereullers, SIS shifters, Shimano V-brake levers(built into the SIS shifters), and non-shimano V-brakes(VERY GOOD).Ok. I'll rate the induvidual parts out of five:Shifting:4
Braking:5