Pacific 5500 Bike 1998 or Older

4.75/5 (8 Reviews)

Pacific 5500

Submitted by Robert V.Barrise

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2014

Strengths:    I have a Pacific 5500 ground assault for about 15 years and the bike is one of the best, but i have one problem, the sprocket bearing got crushed when a box a heavy one fell on the bike, and i need new bearings for this and i don't want to go to the local bike rip-off store so in short where can i get the bearing for this. i took sprocket apart and just waiting to put it back togather so i can ride again. i looked all over the internet for the company and can't find it , can someone guide me in the right direction.

Weaknesses:    None that is can see

Bottom Line:
I love this bike and i road it on the rails to trails for years and never, never had an issue....

Submitted by Duramax'n a Weekend Warrior from Indiana

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2011

Strengths:    Light Weight, Strong sturdy frame, keeps on going, Shimano shifters and derailers*

Weaknesses:    stock tires wear quickly, rear wheel, weak crank (I bent and replaced it the first month I bought it)

Bottom Line:
ive had this bike for 8 years now and ive come to the conclusion that its pretty much indistructable. ive only replaced minor parts, and its only had 1 tune-up in its life, and it was recently because my rear derailer needed major adjustment after a wreck

Favorite Trail:   Dana Peak (harker heights, tx)

Purchased At:   From Friend in 2003

Bike Setup:   replaced basic items such as grips, seat, did have to replace the crank, i bent it in the first crash, also i bent the rear wheel :/

Submitted by David Hansen a Weekend Warrior from Ellicott, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2001

Strengths:    Invicible:
I have never taken it into the shop for tuneups or new parts. For the lat 2 years i tahe the bike to its limits and i come home and its perfectly fine
It is extreamly cheap!!

Weaknesses:    Not high end parts but the bike is expensive and it works fine anyway

Bottom Line:
Extreamly good bike
Extreamly inexpensive

Favorite Trail:   Rockburn

Purchased At:   Toys R Us

Similar Products Used:   Trek Y-frame

Bike Setup:   Full suspension

Submitted by Ray a Weekend Warrior from Dearborn Heights, MI USA

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2000

Strengths:    The frame is bullet proof, the price is nice.
Great bike for someone who wants to upgrade to their own tastes or just ride it.

Weaknesses:    Steel crank, no rebound dampning in rear shock, soft front fork.

Bottom Line:
I bought a YX5500 last spring. For someone who does not have $800 or more to buy a mountain bike this is a great starter bike. The frame is bullet proof, Quality is very good so the bike is worth upgrading as components wear out or as your wallet and wishes allow. The fork is not very good. There are a few things that must be done to this bike right from the start though;
In total I have $402 dollars in this bike including the bike purchase. The nice thing is that I have been able to spread out the upgrades over the last year and have a bike to ride the whole time.
I ride this bike hard and it handles great and takes the abuse. The only things I still want to change are the rear shock (it has a pathetic amount of rebound dampning) and the seatpost. Eventually I will replace the wheels and add a disc front brake, but I will wait until I bend one bad or the bearings fail.

Favorite Trail:   Island Lake

Bike Setup:   *Replace the crankset, it is heavy and weak, I replaced mine with a Sugino from Supergo for $22, you will need a new bottom bracket (107mm) about $12 for a sealed bearing unit.
*Replace the front derailleur, I went Shimano XT 739 $19.
*Adjust the wheel bearings. They are never right. Check them often.
I replaced the front fork on mine with a Girvin Chubby and a Ritchey Pro Logic headset $28.
The stock tires are kind of heavy so I put on Michelin Wildgripper Lite tires ($11 each).

Submitted by M SMITH a Weekend Warrior from TX

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2000

Strengths:    Great bike for the money. As good as or better than some more expensive bikes at the LBS.

Weaknesses:    Needs to be assembled and adjusted at LBS. Cannot get proper service at Toys R US. Replaced steel cranks w/alloy they bent easily in light crash.

Bottom Line:
If you are not racing and just enjoy riding and need a bike that can take abuse and keep on going with the more expensive bikes, buy this bike. I would not go any lower in the Pacific lineup though. Overall great bike.

Favorite Trail:   TYLER STATE PARK

Similar Products Used:   GT

Bike Setup:   New Seat from bike shop and alloy cranks instead of stock steel.

Submitted by Jake a Cross-Country Rider from Clinton, NY

Date Reviewed: November 17, 1999

Strengths:
I got the sx version which is $50 more. Even so, this bike is great for the price. Nice all aluminum frame, great front and rear shocks, after inital setup gears work great. Nice shimono parts. Cool burnished frame. This bike is impossible to break.

Weaknesses:
It took me a few hours to get the gears to work right.

Bottom Line:
This bike kicks ASS. It is cheap, and is a real nice bike. BUY THIS BIKE!!! Call Pacific and tell them to get out of Toys r us. 5 FLAMING CHILIJS

6 months

Mongoose MGX D40
Mongoose MGX A50
Mongoose D-500
Mongoose MGX s-20

Store setup, had to put together myself.

Submitted by Doug a Weekend Warrior from Omaha

Date Reviewed: August 24, 1999

Strengths:
Frame is tough. Good geometry. Many good components- Zoom, Tek tro

Weaknesses:
Stock components make the bike heavy. Can't adjust front shocks.

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to the prior message. I've upgraded the bike to XT and changed out the crank and the hubs. I just got back from Winter Park Colorado. This bike is tough. It holds a line on steep technical terrain and handles well. Even though the bike is heavy (now it's 31 lbs.) the geometry makes up for it. The bike is comfortable to climb on. Don't expect big air on this bike, but for the $400.00 I have into, I don't mind staying a little closer to the ground at times.

Winter Park

6 months

Johua, KHS, Specialized, Parkpre

Y-frame f/s, uprgraded to 98 Xt components except for crank which I just changed out from an LX to Specialized Strongarm (not the son-of)

Submitted by Doug a Weekend Warrior from Omaha, NE

Date Reviewed: June 21, 1999

Strengths:
6061 Aluminum frame, Frame design, price

Weaknesses:
some components - Shimano Acera shifting, front shock forks seem a bit soft

Bottom Line:
I wanted to buy a bike for my wife and found the Pacific Elite at Target for $159.00. I was so impressed with it that I called the Customer Service line and found out that Toys R US handles even more of a selection. I went there out of curiosity. I could not believe the quality of their bikes! For $200.00 I have a bike that literally has taken the best beatings I can give it - nothing has broke on it and it rides out better than my $1500.00 KHS. I recently went biking up in the mountains in Whyoming. I took the KHS and the Pacific. I ended up busting my crom-alloy frame on the KHS and rode the 5500 for the rest of the trip. This is by far the best bike under $1000.00. I'm going to go out and buy the 8500 with the money I saved. You will not be sorry if you buy this bike. Spend $200.00 on the bike and put another $200.00 into some better components and you'll have one of the toughest bikes on the track - bar none!

Wabash

3 months

KHS, Specialized, Trek

This bike frame is very similiar to the Gary Fisher Joshua. I changed the crank and shifters to the Shimano Deoro LX set.

LF-60 6 x Cree XM-L L2 5500 Lumens 3 Modes Waterproof Headlight Bicycle Light

[ATTACH=CONFIG]905074[/ATTACH] [B][URL="http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_45220.html"]LF-60 6 x Cree XM-L L2 5500 Lumens 3 Modes Waterproof Headlight Bicycle Light (6 x 18650 Included)[/URL][/B] is comming my way to make the review. As far as I know there are possibilities to change the d ... Read More »

Comparo between KHS 6500/5500/3500 and other brands?

I am looking at the various options in a mid travel all around trail bike, enduro is the new tag line... I don't need bling, I don't need weight weenie, I need burly and reliable, build budget is $2500-3000. I rode a Devinci Troy XP last night it wasn't bad, but it did have a waggly front end ... Read More »

For sale:new 2013 specialized s - works epic carbon 29 xtr $5500

COMPANY NAME :BIKE BUSINESS LIMITED Registered No: 03775228 ADDRESS: 71 THE HUNDRED, ROMSEY, HAMPSHIRE, SO51 8BZ, UNITED KINGDOM We sell all models of Cannondale, Cervelo, Ellsworth, Giant, Jamis, Klein, Kona, Litespeed, Rocky Mountain, Santa Cruz, Whyte, Marin, GT, Specialized, Trek and Gary Fisher ... Read More »

Sizing for Troy Lee Designs EG 5500 and KG 5400

Troy Lee Designs EG 5500 and KG 5400 knee and elbow pads. I'm thinking about buying a pair on line. However, I wonder if their size chart is right. I am a smaller guy and it has me in the largest elbow pads on their chart but has me in the smallest knee pads on their chart. This seems ... Read More »

2012 GT Sanction 1.0- $6500 retail, $5500 on sale? What the....

??? Went by the Performance and they had more new GT's than I've seen in a while which was great. The Force's look great and everything's in line, then I saw the Sanction 2, okay, $2500. Then I saw the Sanction 1.0 on sale for $5500, retail for $6500! While the bike was sweet no doubt, I actua ... Read More »