Orange C16r Bike 1998 or Older

4.83/5 (18 Reviews)

Orange C16r

Submitted by Simon a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2013

Strengths:    My C16r was a warranty replacement for a Clockwork frame that rusted (after approx 27,000 miles!). I have ridden it since new in 1997...I still use the original Clockwork handlebars but pretty much the rest of the components have been replaced at some point or another.

After 15 years of regular use, I figured it might be due a mid-life overhaul and have just acquired a set of near-new 1997 vintage Marzocchi Bomber suspension forks. Eventually these will take a hydraulic disc brake...but there is no rush to upgrade...however, it did get me thinking...has anyone added a rear hydraulic disc to a C16r?

Weaknesses:    Fails to trigger spending to replace for later bike. Is that a weakness?

Bottom Line:
Suits me...interested to see how it handles with front suspension forks.

Submitted by Dismal a Weekend Warrior from Edinburgh

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2010

Strengths:    Robust, light, steel feel

Bottom Line:
I was a complete fool to sell this bike (recently)... Even all these years later.... it is/was light, fast and perfect, I should have put wider bars on and some modern rubber... and then i bet i would never have sold it.... aarrrrr!!! :-( It is as good as anything i have ever ridden.

Favorite Trail:   Glentress

Purchased At:   Stiff

Similar Products Used:   kona kilauea, Kona UNIT

Bike Setup:   Rigid, full XTR

Submitted by andy goldie a Weekend Warrior from Manchester

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2009

Strengths:    Very robust bike, looks cool in the face of more modern cycles and a very stable ride on the road or in the mud

Weaknesses:    Too cool looking for it's own good - makes it a temptation for the thieving fraternity

Bottom Line:
Bought the bike in 1996 and rode it to and from work weekdays and off road at the weekend until some spineless opportunist decided to 'liberate' it in 2005 - ironically the police arrived at my front door three nights ago (nearly four years after it was stolen) to say they'd apprehended a youth and believe the bike he was riding was mine, I haven't picked it up yet but am going to put my Orange G2 at the back of the house when it arrives - can't wait!

Favorite Trail:   United Kingdom

Purchased At:   Neil Walton Cycles,

Similar Products Used:   Claude Butler

Bike Setup:   As purchased

Submitted by Bob a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2007

Strengths:    Excellent geometry and build. Classic looks

Weaknesses:    Light front end when climbing. Needs to be ridden with respect (but is this a weekness) ?

Bottom Line:
Top bike. Rode everyday. Infact this bike was so good and looked in such top condition that it caught the eye of some THEIVING scum chav that jumped over a SIX foot fence and 4 other gardens to get it. It might be gone, but Im still about and that person should still keep an eye looking behind them...................

Purchased At:   Behind Bars - Oxfordshire

Bike Setup:   Mixture of XT / LX / Shimano / Sachs
P7 forks / WTB saddle

Submitted by Darryl a Cross Country Rider from Oxfordshire

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2007

Strengths:    Well where do i start. What a great bike, i have ridden this bike hard as hell for the last 11 years! It has been jumped, downhill-ed in competition here in the UK and travelled to Morzine in the French Alps twice. I used it in the first 4x event in the UK, and it has raced countless 24hour enduro's and X country races. It started off in 1996 as an Orange c16 RS with XT and Judy DH's. Lovely lively handling, the forgiving steel frame will get you out of most tricky situations With 80mm forks the front end gets a bit light for climbing real steep stuff but makes for a fantastic handling on downhills, and you can leap or manual over most obsticles I have just set it up with 63mm forks and it has not really affected the handling that much at all, steers a little better if anything. Lovely trustworthy bike, will always remain a favorite!

Bottom Line:
Fantastic Solid bike, go anywhere, do anything!

Favorite Trail:   the chilterns

Purchased At:   Cycle Care High Wycombe

Similar Products Used:   Orange P7 xt, Vit T2 xtr

Bike Setup:   Shimano XT- Rock Shox Judy XC 97

Submitted by Jonny a Cross Country Rider from Northants, England

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2003

Strengths:    For £660 a great alround bike which loves the challenge of anything you throw at it! Take it on the road or down a big forest track and you'll have a great ride. Anyone who wants a good bike which is capable of almost anything should think about getting one, shame they stopped selling them! It you can find a second-hand one that is in good condition i'd advise you to think about purchasing it.

Weaknesses:    I'm still looking!

Bottom Line:
If you want a great bike which loves been riden, then get one. I was amased how great it was the first time i took it out and it still amases me today. The boys at orange really know how to make a great rider!

Purchased At:   Phil Corley Cycles

Bike Setup:   I use the STX-RC group set which came with the bike. The only thing i have changed is the seat post and a few other bits like brake pads and chain.

Submitted by Nick Reiter a Weekend Warrior from Lochcarron, Scotland

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2001

Strengths:    Superb, indestructible frame: I have had it for over 5 years; I use the original wheels (except for a replacement rear rim) for off road and a lightweight pair with thin tyres for on-road commuting. Every time I think I might be ready for a new bike I just give my C16R an extra good wash and ride it - and come back thinking it does everything I could want of it. Slap a rack on it and you can even tour on it. It is os versatile it would suit just about any rider. Good choice of sizes.

Weaknesses:    The transfers peeled off within a couple of months - who cares! Some riders may want to experiment with different stems. The seat tube diameter means that the choice of seat posts may be limited, and I did have some initial trouble with my post slipping, which I solved with a shim.

Bottom Line:
Surely a classic! I may one day treat myself to a new bike, but I will NEVER sell my C16R : through all the fads and fancies of the past half-decade, it remains a bike that cries out to be ridden anywhere. Magic.

Favorite Trail:   Strathpeffer

Purchased At:   lakeland

Similar Products Used:   various: diamond back, specialized, etc. : all hardtails.

Bike Setup:   RC set up straight out the box. In five years, the only modifications I have made was the extra set of lightweight wheels for on-road use, replacement of an exploded rear rim on the original wheels, and the usual wear-and-tear replacements. I have toyed with fitting V-brakes, but haven't bothered so far. Tried to fit mudguards temporarily for touring, but not easy.

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2000

Strengths:    Quick, fast and strong

Weaknesses:    Are there any? Oh, some of the stickers have come off!

Bottom Line:
Great for XC, twisty trails and you can still chuck a rack on for multi-day stuff.

After an Ali rigid this bike was sheer bliss. I now have a Specialized FSR XC as well. But still prefer the Orange for a fast thrash on forest single track.

Shame they have retired it, at least the P7 is still about.

Purchased At:   Madgetts

Similar Products Used:   Claud Butler Ali frame, too hard.
Marin Elridge grade.

Bike Setup:   PACE RC 36s, XT V's and changers. Rest is stock LX. Can't see why peopl didn't like the grips, still got the originals.

Submitted by Robert Hansen a Cross-Country Rider from Peterborough, CAMBS

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2000

Strengths:
Beast of a frame that handles anything you throw at it. Lively, skippy and comfy

Bottom Line:
An absolutely blinding bike recommended to XC demons and trail hackers alike.

more than 3 years

I've got an STX-RC set up but with DX brakes with XT levers. The shifters are falling apart now but who cares? It's deserving of XT components now!

Submitted by Jonathan a Weekend Warrior from Merseyside, England

Date Reviewed: October 6, 1999

Strengths:
A truly excellent steel frame, which has survived 3 1/2 years under my not so light body. No real difference in ride between this and the P7. Massive amounts of mud clearance, stiff, and comfortable. Earlier Clockwork frames had a habit of rusting internally. I waxoyled mine, and it still survives today. Anyone who only rides aluminium frames shoud give their backsides a rest and try a steel frame.

Weaknesses:
The original brazed on seat binder lugs were not parallel, but a local frame builder took them off, and I fitted a later stainless steel clamp. Problem solved

Bottom Line:
Replaced only by a marin Pine Mountain frame bought at a knock down price of £140. The Orange beats the Marin on mud clearnce, but the Marin is Prestige, and the difference tells

more than 3 years

Submitted by Timbo a weekend warrior from NSW,Australia

Date Reviewed: March 9, 1999

Bottom Line:

Ah the Black flash...I had to sell my C16R to come to australia. I do miss it so. I'd recommend this bike to anyone, my bruv had a P7 and other than the flash nickel finish Iwouldnt rate it that much higher, apart from being a little stiffer in the BB area. I am about 17stone(105K0 and I never broke it. Reliable and tough as old boots. Pretty pliant ride ....sob,sob. Buy one.

Submitted by Per Engström a cross-country rider from Stockholm, Sweden

Date Reviewed: September 19, 1998

Bottom Line:

Wow, what a bike. I've had my Orange for 3 years now, and it has been 3 great years of riding without any trouble, other than the usual changings of chain, replacing tires and things like that. The lightness of the frame coupled with the quality of the handmade wheels give it kickass performance on the trails. Of my 5 bikes in total, this Orange rules.

Submitted by David Franklin a weekend warrior from Rochester, England

Date Reviewed: November 21, 1997

Bottom Line:

I've had this bike about 2 years. I replaced the grips the day I bought it but most of the STX-RC groupset is still intact. I'm in the middle of upgrading with some '98 Pace forks and XT V brakes and shifters.I have to say this an excellent bike. Its very light, the handling is precise, ride is supple, and the frame has some nice design touches: cable routing, mud clearance, etc. Actually, mud-clearance is so good that you manage to pick up about 47,000 kilos of mud on the side of your tyres!I sometimes wonder whether I should have spent the extra 100 quid and got a P7 instead but I've had no reason to doubt the C16Rs strength. Even the hand-built wheels have managed to survive 2 years of pretty heavy abuse without so much as a loose spoke.They've changed back to the original name (Clockwork Orange, get it?) for '98 but I'm not sure if they've change the frame at all. Overall this bike is a pleasure to ride - up hill and down. I can't quite understand why nobody outside of the UK has heard of Orange?

Submitted by You aint seen me, right! a cross-country rider from UK

Date Reviewed: November 12, 1997

Bottom Line:

Actually reviewing Orange X4 cos review thingy isn't working.
Mmmmmmm, Nice! Slime green fulls with Pace forks sir, oooh suits you sir!
Plusher than a very plush plush thing-the ride is slippery schmoooove.I reckon this is a dashed fine handling bike. I reccommend any of the 3 models to anyone looking for a fully sussed bike.

Submitted by Dave Bowes a cross-country rider from Scotland(from Yorkshire)

Date Reviewed: November 6, 1997

Bottom Line:

This is a sound bike, well ballanced and light. I agree the grips were awful. I had to replace mine. I wore out the alvio gears in about six months. As for the seat I never sit down and ride long enough to notice. But it isnt a great seat by any means. The brakes are awful and changing to vees from alvio is expensive. Pity because the alvio shifter design is physicaly just right for me.
The gears were a bit low for downhill and flat work. I felt the road cog could have had a few more teeth.
I too am looking for full suspension now to increase my fun factor.
Overall an excelent frame. My advice would be buy the highest specified version you can aford, because replacing worn cheap spec parts is an expensive way to build good spec bike.
Five Star.