Nuke Proof Ti Frame Bike 1998 or Older

4.57/5 (14 Reviews)

Nuke Proof Ti Frame

Submitted by Stu

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2012

Strengths:    precise handling, neutral weighting, frame + fork really provide nice comfort and the rear triangle is stiff and snappy.

Weaknesses:    it is no flyweight but it is certainly NUKEPROOF!!!!

Bottom Line:
It is now November 14, 2012, just about 13 years past my first review. Here’s my take: The Nuke remains my all time favorite. Yes we have loads of travel these days and super trick FS x-crountry rides but I was a big rider from 1986-2000. Back in da day - we basically rode for hours at a time and during our rides something would break. Most of the time our basic bikes could be fixed. But improvision was almost always necessary. That said, my ol Nuke still rides like a charm and never breaks down.....I said in my past review “I’ll be riding this for the next 10 yrs”. I can gladly say I have been riding this bike since 1998 so I am going to revise my statement. I’ll be riding this bike into the sunset!

Submitted by signalMTB a Racer from Signal Mountain, TN

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2011

Strengths:    titanium, beautiful welds, solid

Bottom Line:
very rare to find, very fine craftsmanship, ti welds are great. this bike has never disappointed me, top tube is a little shorter than I like on an 18" frame, but nothing to be concerned about. super light, geared and front suspension it was right at 22lbs, so now I'm running rigid SS, so probably sub 20 lbs. if you can ever find one, especially with the cockroach headbadge intact, buy it!

Favorite Trail:   Tanasi

Similar Products Used:   many many other bikes

Bike Setup:   XTR mostly, tune wheelset, Caramba double barrel crankset, rigid carbon fork, single speed

Submitted by k carter a Racer from ches.,va,usa

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2010

Strengths:    beautiful frame , light , great welds reliable , great all around bike.

Weaknesses:    i did actually break one , although i caught a large sink hole into corner of curbing with the rear wheel riding late one night, never saw coming unable to avoid, [ but nuke proof stood behind the product and i had the frame sent back and got back like new. : }

Bottom Line:
This has been a great bike i still love to ride it although i do not race regularly any longer , is still fast on single track , bombs downhill , light wait , strong . and made in the usa. u gotta love it.

Favorite Trail:   canane valley

Purchased At:   thru colley avenue b

Similar Products Used:   merlin , litespeed

Bike Setup:   old school , nuke proof ti frame , originally manitou ti fork, quad21rock shock , xc suntour pro group , bontrager rims , nuke proof ti carbon fibre hubs, bontrager bars. litespeed stem, ringle seatpost, bontrager tires .

Submitted by Defiant32 a Cross Country Rider from Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2010

Strengths:    great welds, lovely handling, nice and comfortable

Bottom Line:
Great rider.
I have one from the Nuke Proof build frames, not the Litespeed early frames.
I am getting it back into the original setup.

Similar Products Used:   Fat Chance Titanium, Serotta TiMax, Serotta ATX, Ibis Mojo, Setotta TMax, Pearson, Nishiki, Ritchey P20 etc

Bike Setup:   Nuke Proof stem, hubs, bar, barends, XTR M900, RS Judy XC

Submitted by MK a Cross Country Rider from Sedona, AZ

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2008

Strengths:    See next box.

Weaknesses:    Product Review update. Not long after my review in 1999 this frame broke at the down tube/head tube weld. Sent it back to (not)Nuke Proof for repair, the company went out of business and I never saw the frame again! sh!tty stuff. I should have had it welded in Phx.

Bottom Line:
No more company!!!

Submitted by James a Cross Country Rider from Philadelphia, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2008

Strengths:    Light, perfect geometry for East Coast trails, just enough flex to be very comfortable for a hard tail, but stiff enough to climb like crazy.

Weaknesses:    Can't buy them!

Bottom Line:
I know these aren't easy to find, but if you ever see one- buy it!! I got mine for $500 about 10 years ago and I still smile every time I ride that bike. Easily the best $500 I ever spent. I had ridden many steel and aluminum bikes, hard tail and full suspension, but the first time I rode my Nuke Proof it was like God himself had handcrafted a frame for me. The frame just fits me perfectly, the welds are beautiful, it's light, I can ride it all day long.... what else can I say?

Purchased At:   used

Bike Setup:   Old school, and also just old.

Submitted by Carter Collins a Weekend Warrior from Nashville,TN USA

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2008

Strengths:    A-1 Craftsmanship, you can spend hours looking at perfect welds, plus it has a roach on the headtube

Weaknesses:    Have not found one in 11 years

Bottom Line:
The best damn bike I have, I enjoy riding my Nuke over my old ARC- And the Arc was from the days Yeti was Yeti. Excellent craftsmanship and a tight ride, Like taking a Bently through the woods! Ride one if you get a chance, then sometimes it better just not know how good it can be!

Similar Products Used:   Graftin, Chris King, Ringle

Bike Setup:   Vintage Graftin brakes & cranks, Ringle Hubs, XTR 7 speed with reverse pull(best thing ever made)

Submitted by Ron a Weekend Warrior from Livonia, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2006

Strengths:    Lightweight
Compliant
Great looking frame

Weaknesses:    No longer made
A tad twitchy but OK with new fork

Bottom Line:
The old fork was a bit twitchy on this frame. A taller fork was what the doctor ordered. I've owned this frame for 10 years now and still love the ride. It's light yet rugged.

Favorite Trail:   Island Lake

Bike Setup:   Mishmash of XT & XTR parts with some CF thrown in.

Submitted by Scott a Racer from Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2002

Strengths:    Durrability
Responsiveness
Weight
Geometry

Weaknesses:    Nuke Proof is gone

Bottom Line:
This bike has lasted so damn long as I bought it right when they started making them. I don't know if I will buy a new bike ever. The only thing that would make me want to even try anything else would be to try a different frame geometry. I really love this frame and thank the Nuke Proof gang for making such a sweet beast!!!

Favorite Trail:   Poto

Bike Setup:   Lots of Ti stuff, Blah Blah Blah

Submitted by Glenn O a Cross Country Rider from Oneonta NY USA

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2000

Strengths:    Strong, light, forgiving, clean welds (done by hand I understand) A downright beautiful frame.

Weaknesses:    No longer made/hard to find...don't know where I would go for customer support if I needed it.

Bottom Line:
If you can find this frame, buy it. Period. It will probably be a bit cheaper than newer litespeeds or merlins and I believe it is of comparable quality. It is a comfy ride that climbs so easily. Some say that flex is a problem but I haven't noticed it. Titanium is a better material than steel aluminum and probably carbon too. And it is nice to know that I will never buy another bike again. Five firey poohs.

Favorite Trail:   Cross Hatch

Similar Products Used:   Tried Litespeeds, Merlins, the Kona Hei Hei, and the Mongoose 10.7 before deciding on the nuke.

Bike Setup:   Built from the ground up :
Drivetrain LX cranks, XTR front LX rear, XT BB, XT Cassette.
Girvin Ti Bars/flexstem combo, XTR rapidfire shifters/brake levers. Avid shorty 15C brakes.
Syncros Ti post, Fizik pave saddle,
WHeels: Mavic CD rims DT spokes nuke proof carbon front hub, XTR rear hub IRC advantage Pro tires.

Submitted by marc kinney a Cross-Country Rider from sedona, az

Date Reviewed: December 5, 1999

Strengths:
durable, unique, very forgiving, an excellent climber,and the fact that it is not made anymore!

Weaknesses:
forgiving=noodle when not needed, sloppy welds for such a gem of a frame.

Bottom Line:
this frame inspires confidence--and backs it up. from racing to backcountry freeriding, this frame wants it all! it's a pleasure to know that the frame i trust now may just last longer than i do.

more than 3 years

none really, just years of experience with steel frames and their various attributes.

full rebuild 9/99--all race face and xt, with mavic517 maxtol rims (should have gone with a DH wheelset). running irc kujo DH 2.25(r-no room for more tire) & 2.35 in front. also enjoying some boing from a rock shock seat post.

Submitted by B. Raras a Weekend Warrior from Castro Valley, CA

Date Reviewed: July 7, 1999

Strengths:
Very Light Frame.
Nice Craftsmanship.
Climbs like a Rocket.
Practically Indestructible.

Weaknesses:
Why you stop making it?

Bottom Line:
The bike is excellent. I have had it for a long time and it has given me no troubles. It climbs the steepest of trails with ease. At the same time it is a decent downhiller too. The frame is very stiff but it wont kill your bones. There is very little flex when climbing. Finally, you'll look great riding it. It's a real head turner.

Brandon Trail

Litespeed
Merlin
Bridgestone MB-1
Raleigh

All Shimano Xtr Gruppo except for xt wheel set. Judy SL Fork w/ Eibach spring kit.

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from New York, N.Y.

Date Reviewed: June 24, 1999

Strengths:
Light frame 3.4;
Very soft ride yet does not rob you of your energy.

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
the bottom line is that this frame is a classic. Vintage North Eastern setup (For me anyway). Frame is a hair larger than what I ride normally. Shortened the stem to 110 and It has increased my confidence in the handling of the bike. To think I got this bike through MTBR's classifieds for $500! The guy had it dismantled under his bed for months. This is definately a shout out to MTBR. Thanks.

1 Year

first Ti frame;
Before this Jamis diablo

XTR-Crank,BB,F&R der.,RF shifters,Easton bar,Syncros Stem,Thompson SP,Serfas Saddle,Mod Judy XC with aluminum steerer and Englunds.

Submitted by Stu Aikawa a Cross-Country Rider from Oakland, CA

Date Reviewed: March 29, 1999

Strengths:
-Stiff design.
-Ti absorps sharp hits.
-Overall neutral handling.
-NukeProof customer service.
-Ti is very strong & corrosive resistant.
-Welds look handmade.

Weaknesses:
-Welds are not machine perfect, but do look handmade.

Bottom Line:
Originally this bike was very quick in the tree lined single track. Climbing was excellent and fire roading was precise but you had to pay attention. To neutralize the handling a bit I went with a shorter stem, 100MM. This was the key for me. The bike still handles great in the tight stuff and climbs like a goat with 22 x 32. I guess you do learn to live with you personal rig and I'm extremely glad that I made the Ti investment. Now I know excactly what rig I'll be riding for the next 10 yrs. My trusty Nuke.

Palos Colorados

-Litespeed.
-Specialized Team M-2.
-Dean Scout.
-Mongoose Tomac Signature bike.

Shock-Manitou Comp w/ Heven racing strutts. XTR deraillers & Shifters. Cooks E-Cranks w/ various rings. Syncros Bars, BB & Post.
Grafton Brakes w/ Real Levers.
Nuke Bombshell hubs of course!!!

Help me ID vintage Ti (Sandvik) frame please!

[COLOR=#222222]After my litespped cracked on me, I just had to have another Ti bike. I bought this hardtail off eBay, advertised as a Diamondback (DBR) Axis TT. Once I got the bike though, I started looking up the mid-90's axis Ti bikes, and it doesn't seem quite right. [/COLOR] [COLOR=#222222]The ... Read More »

Asian ti frame

what happened to the thread about the Asian ti fatbike frame on alibaba? I wanted to get some more input on that frame. It looks belt drive, but it also looks to be a 170mm rear spacing. I guess you would need some kind of adapter to run a IGH.Read More »

Factory Production FS Carbon or Custom Ti Frame

I'm almost 6'7", 215#, with a 38" inseam. Looking for a high end FS, 29er, xc/trail, that is light and where I can ride it with the saddle and handlebars the same height. [COLOR=#333333]Can I realistically get an optimized fit into the current factory production carbon 29ers, such as trek 23" supe ... Read More »

Paid Spam: IBIS Ti Mojo Frame (Large)

[url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=86336&title=ibis-ti-mojo-frame&cat=39]IBIS Ti Mojo Frame - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories[/url] thanks for looking [URL=http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/klasse123/media/Ibis%20Ti%20Mojo%20Frame/Ti%20Mojo%20Frame% ... Read More »

Ti frame makers in Colorado?

Anyone aware of a post listing the Ti frame makers and even more specifically any in Colorado other than Dean (not saying anything bad about dean, just looking for a options).Read More »