Novara Aspen Bike Bike 1998 or Older

3.5/5 (12 Reviews)

Novara Aspen Bike

Submitted by keionsegg a Weekend Warrior from boston ma

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2010

Strengths:    looks great drive is even better durrable frame

Weaknesses:    in constant need of repair little on the heavy side but not to bad

Bottom Line:
great bike just always have a few bucks lying around for repairs

Submitted by Ilovebikes2 a Weekend Warrior from Marietta, Georgia, US

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2009

Strengths:    Solid Frame, Color, Alex Rims

Weaknesses:    Heavy, Front Suspension, Bike Geometry, Front Chainring slips

Bottom Line:
Ok first off I love Novara bikes I've had four of them. Now I have the Buzz, the Novara Float and I love both of them. This bike however is way overpriced to be built the way it is. First of the front suspension (RST Gila) is like riding a pogo stick over bumps, seriously this is the kind of suspension they put on walmart bikes for $150. Second is the upright riding position handlebars seem too high up, some people might like this so I will not hold it against novara. Frame Heavy, and Heavy like a rock. When pedaling uphills the front Chainring slips this is a pain when I'm clipped in and have to unclip and walk it up the hill. Thanks for REI's return policy because this bike went back to the store. Bottom line Novara makes great bikes this is not one of them. Great bikes that I can say I've owned and loved- The Novara Strada, Buzz, and Float.

Favorite Trail:   Flat Rock Park Columbus

Similar Products Used:   Discount Store Schwinn, and Diamondback

Bike Setup:   Novora Aspen 2008 Stock

Submitted by Fr3nch a Cross Country Rider from Tahoe, NV

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2009

Strengths:    Great Value, Great Brakes,

Weaknesses:    Uncomfortable seat

Bottom Line:
I did a lot of shopping around for a hard-tail. I found a lot of overpriced gimmicks on other brands and when this bike went on sale at REI I grabbed it. I couldn't find these components on any other bike for less than $500. It climbs great and is very controllable on the downhills. I'd recommend this to anyone who wants to get into some semi-serious mountain biking and hardly spend any money.

Submitted by NeoMoses a Weekend Warrior from Farmington, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2008

Strengths:    Value says it all about this bike. Good components at a great price. Nowhere else could I find a bike with dual disc brakes and these components for less than $500. The Novara was less than $400. I now have over 800 miles on this bike, ~500 hard trail riding and ~300 urban commuting. I've potato-chipped my rear wheel after a nasty spill, but was still able to ride thanks to the disc brakes. Tires seem good, but rear is almost out of tread in the center.

Weaknesses:    Seat is not very comfortable for long rides. I replaced it with a Brooks saddle and am very happy now. Have used it for some commuting in the early spring (40 miles roundtrip) and it works well. Not the most efficient bike for commuting, but the most versatile for climbing over snow piles.

Bottom Line:
The best value in a good quality bike, period. Expect many trouble-free miles out of this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Novi Tree Farm

Similar Products Used:   Trek 7.3

Bike Setup:   Basically Stock, with a Brooks saddle and some headlights/tail lights.

Submitted by Luke a Racer from Middlebury, VT, USA

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2007

Strengths:    Greatest bike ever. I bought this one in 1996 and have been on it nearly every day since - I've used it as a commuter bike for the last 6 years and its held up to the rain and the road salt and the sprinting and the brake-slamming wonderfully. A little chipped paint and some rust spots on the bottom of the BB cage is all the wear she shows. Solid frame, easy-to-adjust components, and solid ground feel - if you find one on E-bay, buy it up.

Weaknesses:    a little heavy for a trail bike, great for the roads though

Bottom Line:
get it if you can

Purchased At:   local REI

Similar Products Used:   various commuter bikes that fell appart after a year or so

Bike Setup:   factory basic. Haven't adjusted the front derailleur (besides attaching a new cable) yet.

Submitted by m knorr a Weekend Warrior from logan, UT

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2000

Strengths:    predictable, nimble, stable, somewhat bulletproof

Weaknesses:    a little heavy, cant stay in only one gear on hills when shifters are out of whack

Bottom Line:
this bike is as old as ever, but with a little attention, rides as good as ever. derailers are hard to adjust right (rear cassette skips often on hills from that). I know the brakes arent the hottest things in the world, but they have never let me down. after years of neglect and punishment, the only things its needed were new tubes & tires, and handlebar grips.

good stuff... should be pretty cheap used, and if its anything like mine, a lot better than some Walmart special, even used, for the same price. the new Aspen's look like a waste of bread though. suntour? spend an extra hundred bucks and buy a nice GT or jamis...

Favorite Trail:   devils toothpick

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Exile

Submitted by bho a Weekend Warrior from long beach,ca

Date Reviewed: August 15, 1999

Strengths:
rei product

Weaknesses:
rusts easily

Bottom Line:
primary bike back in '89. feel that there are better models outside of the novara line nowadays and would get more bang for the buck

redondo beach bike trail

more than 3 years

stock bike

Submitted by b waters from weekend warrior

Date Reviewed: May 10, 1998

Bottom Line:

I use the aspen for road and mountain biking. i've had it for 3 years and have had no problems with it that i couldn't fix. It's a good beginner bike for people getting into mtb, but if you're really serious about mtb, you might want to save your money and get a novice or expert bike.

Submitted by Dave a cross-country rider from

Date Reviewed: February 3, 1998

Bottom Line:

For the price in 94 of $400 it's still a back-up bike.

Submitted by Gary Mills a weekend warrior from ca

Date Reviewed: December 25, 1997

Bottom Line:

I checked out a lot of bike before I bought this one.
I should have bought some thing else. This was my first mountain bike.
Not sure I would clasify it as a mountain bike though. More like a
a piece of junk. I have seven other cycle's. First thing this bike did
was rust. You would think a mountain bike would have more rust protection.
When I say rust. I mean rust very quickly. The next thing was the shifters went
out on me. Would not hold on a hill. NO way to adjust them.
I was VERY disapointed with REI and this bike. You would think someone who
speacialty is the out doors would come up with some thing nicer.
DON'T waste your money!!!!!!!!

Submitted by a weekend warrior from CA

Date Reviewed: December 17, 1996

Bottom Line:

I have been riding a Novara for about 3 years, and I think it is AWESOME! This bike has everything you will ever need on a mountain bike. It even has a low price so everyone can enjoy the bike. The bike I currently have is an A7000. This bike is awesome. I feel sorry for the losers who spend a hell of a lot of money on a bike priced more than a Novara. They are just throwing their money away. If you are thinking about buying any other mountain bike, or road bike for that matter, than you should seriously reconsider. Buy a Novara. It will last for a long time and you will love it. Trust me. Look what my Novara did for me.

Submitted by Ryan Barnett a racer from Corrales NM, USA

Date Reviewed: August 27, 1996

Bottom Line:

This bike needs everything changed. The compnents suck, the frame sucks, the shifters suck, even the damn saddle sucks. If you are thinking about a bike. Think somewhere else. This is definately not a good choice for any kind of rider.

Awesome Aspen Bike Shop

I haven't posted in a bit, but I felt like I really needed to share a great experience with a local bike shop in Aspen. Went out for the 12 hours of Snowmass. Arrived in Aspen four days before the race. We go out for a acclimation ride on the road. We hit a very short section of trail and imme ... Read More »

bike rental in aspen?

recommendations? grazi. :)Read More »

Bike shops in Aspen / Snowmass

I'm looking to move to Snowmass in the near future and will be looking for work in a bike / ski shop. Any feedback from shops in the area? I'd prefer to work at a non-chain style shop. Any cool shops that I should check out? Thanks in advance, SteveRead More »

Gaspin in Aspen (or I'd rather ride my bike than be at the motherload)

So I loaded up the Durango and the wife and I headed up to Aspen, with the Kona proudly displayed on the roof rack. We are heading to Aspen to stay with the in-laws for the Motherload VB tournie. Saturday morning I awoke and drove up to snowmass to just do the dh stuff. I played on the ramps and on ... Read More »