Norco Sasquatch Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.4/5 (15 Reviews)

Norco Sasquatch Bike

Submitted by Al a Weekend Warrior from port alberni

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2001

Strengths:    The Z5 shocks soak up all the bumps and drops of about 4ft. The disk break on the front was way stronger than the rear v-brake. STRONG FRAME

Weaknesses:    rear v-brake. rear hubs comes loose often.

Bottom Line:
Kinda of a heavy bike but I'm a heavy guy. With a few upgerades to the drivetrain it's a very smooth bike. My Sasquatch is most comfortable on the downhill stuff but I was also surprised at how well I could climb as well. For $1300 Cdn. Im pretty happy with my bike. The Hayes cable disk brakes are also a great addition and have the same stopping power wet or dry.

Favorite Trail:   the hucker

Purchased At:   parksville, B.C. Can.

Similar Products Used:   Z5 shock on my old LOOK frame

Bike Setup:   Hayes cable disks f/r, xt rapid fire, xtr levers, LX/Olivio deraileurs, Marzocchi Z5/130, Sun "Hill Rod" rims, Formula disk hubs

Submitted by Jeremy Scott from West Coast, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2001

Strengths:    nice strong frame, smooth ride

Bottom Line:
This bike has proven itself beyond belief. The ride is awesome. This bike is well worth the price and I don't think I will ever let it go. I have replaced most of the stock components but other than that I have no complaints with the bike. The Indy shocks worked well and now with the Judy's it's an even nicer ride. Dollar for dollar this bike is the best.

Bike Setup:   99 RockSHox Judy XC long travel, Raceface Bars,stem and chainrings, Kooka Bonnie Cranks, Spd, Avid V-Brakes, Wildgripper Lights

Submitted by Dustin Hopkins a Weekend Warrior from Lumby

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2000

Strengths:    Strong, reliable and fast. Climbs great esspecialy for age.
Old rockshox fork still works. Even after huge drops for 7 years still hasnt broke.

Weaknesses:    Less than 1 inch travel. Likes to Flex often.

Bottom Line:
Great bike but dont by one cause its to old. If you have 250
dollars and are looking for a freeride/x country bike this might be the bike for you. Just go out and by a new one with modern technolgy.

Favorite Trail:   anything with big doubles

Purchased At:   Kelowna 900 cdn.

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain stratious
Schwinn moab3
2000 sasquatch (rad)

Bike Setup:   Stock can you beileve it after all these years

Submitted by Ben a Cross Country Rider from ACT, Australia

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2000

Strengths:    Nice frame, I like the steel frame and the bike was an excellent buy for it's price.

Weaknesses:    The rims were a bit soft and the grips weren't that comfortable. The Indy C rock shox (okay for a beginner but after a while you need something better for the more challenging terrain this bike makes you explore).

Bottom Line:
This was and still is my first proper mounatin bike and has given me a big grin since I first bought it two years ago and I bought it for a very good price. The thing I love most about the bike is it's feel, stable on the downhills and quick to steer through tight singletrack, it's a very enjoyable bike to ride. Shortly after buying it I added clipless pedals which were definately a wise investment. I haven't had any major mechanical problems with the bike and this has made me like it even more, more time spent riding. I am thinking of buying a new bike soon and I hope it will give me as much fun as this one has.

Bike Setup:   Norco Sasquatch (1998), Z2 Atom 80

Submitted by DAVID EASTWOOD a Weekend Warrior from Prince Rupert BC

Date Reviewed: July 28, 1999

Strengths:
Pretty light all together a great package.

Weaknesses:
(98 Rock shock indy C

Bottom Line:
The 98 model has good parts, Except for the Indy c shocks they are okay i used them on down hills and they work good. I am going to get ethier the Judy 100 or the XC in the fall or spring when the 99 ones go on sale. It handles great is pretty light and the parts on the whole work just fine.

1 Year

Nishiki Storm
Raliegh
Procision

(8 Norco sasquatch Indy C stx

Submitted by adam a Cross-Country Rider from canada

Date Reviewed: May 12, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have a 1996 Norco Sasquatch. It is a great bike for the kind of riding I do. But, like all other riders I had to upgrade. I now have Deore XT rapid fire shifters, deore LX V-brakes, Magic tires, bar ends, etc. But my latest and best upgrade is my new Marzocchi Bomber Z3 Light. The bike now rides sweet. The bike was a really good bike in stock form, but now there's not a lot of steel hard-tales better.

1 Year

Submitted by Michael Cebuliak a weekend warrior from Vancouver, B.C., Canada

Date Reviewed: January 25, 1999

Bottom Line:

This is an excellent no frills bike. I recently upgraded to some clipless pedals and v-brakes and am thoroughly impressed with how much performance you get with so little money. However, there are lots of inconspicuous areas where it is obvious that Norco was trying to save money--tires, cables, etc. Norco has this irratating habit of taking the rear derailure from a higher priced gruppo and putting it on the bike like its indicative of the quality of the rest of the components.

Submitted by stan a cross-country rider from Calgary

Date Reviewed: April 22, 1998

Bottom Line:

This is a great bike for the style of riding I do. It is light weight, responsive and is very well equipped. Upgrading to clipless pedals would be the next step for owners of this bike. This bike likes the trails and the mud (especially the mud!) and what it is equippped with makes these a joy to be in. This is a great bike value for the price.

Submitted by Michael Osiowy a weekend warrior from Regina, Sask, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

So, you wannt the Sasquatch, but don't have $900? Easy. It's a dilemma which I've had to deal with. The solution? I discovered my uncle's 1986-87 Norco Bigfoot, and it's been a great bike. The thing has very slack geometry, and descends at the speed of light. The frame smooths out every single ripple, and is still pretty stiff. The rims are old, heavy Arayas, and it's taken quite a few curbs to bend those suckers, let me tell ya. It's a pretty sweet bike.

Granted, it's weak in quite a few areas. First, it's not a climber. To get any traction, you have to glue your butt in the seat. Second, NO ONE should have to put up with friction gears. They try your patience like hell. Third, the brakes aren't great, but if I lubed them, they might work. But this is a bike that would maybe cost $50 at a used shop. It has good components, like sealed bearings and incredibly strong rims. My brand new Trek 6000 SHX may be prettier and shift smoother, but, out of the box, it has garbage rims, a sticky fork, less than decent brakes and cheap pedals. So do yourself a favour and buy an old bike, as you won't regret it.

Submitted by Mocha Boy a racer from Almonte Ont. Canada

Date Reviewed: July 13, 1997

Bottom Line:

I am very displeased that you did not post the Norco Mocha. This in my humble opinion and also being a Mocha owner is the best middle class compition bike on the market. The Mocha gives you the most for your money and rides like hell. It's only flaws are the Rock Shox Indy C, with a fair amount of travel but not very durable.And the front derailler could upgraded to XT.This company idea of having a lower front derailler is beyond my comprehension.At a light 25lbs of Easton Aluminum and the awesome Sachs shifters, the Mocha may be rare but kicks ass. TEST RIDE ONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Submitted by Nathan Ozog a cross-country rider from B.C., Canada

Date Reviewed: February 20, 1997

Bottom Line:

I recently bought a 96 Sasquatch and I enjoy every minute of it. The Sasquatch is an excellent value for the price in my opinion. Shimano Stx/Lx/Xt parts are superior mix. I think it is lacking in the suspension area, the zokes/2's it is equipped with. I think could have been raised to a Zokes pro or even a Marozocchi XC. I don't think you could find a better bike for under a grand.
XC, I don't think you could find a better x-country bike for under a grand.

Submitted by Rodd Laing a weekend warrior from Monarch,Alberta,Canada

Date Reviewed: February 9, 1997

Bottom Line:

Great bike but likthe norco Nitro better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Submitted by Clint Lee a cross-country rider from Victoria, BC Canada

Date Reviewed: December 28, 1996

Bottom Line:

I purchased my Sasquatch about a year ago and it rides just great! It's a '95 with a few upgrades (747's and Judy XC's). If there are any '95 Sasquatches still left (with LX/XT components) I would snap one up. The '96 Sasquatches have downgraded components in favor of a Zokes fork, but the 95's offer you the most bang for your buck. I'm not sure what Norco has in store for '97 (maybe a Marzocchi bomber), so be patient.

Submitted by Jason Brown a cross-country rider from Delhi,Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: October 16, 1996

Bottom Line:

I have been riding a Norco Sasquatch for two seasons now. I feel it was an
excellent bike. I have had no major troubles. The bike is a reasonable weight for the price. The lx/stx-rc components are also an excellent choice for the price range. The only changes I have made have been an upgrade to clipless
pedals. Overall an excellent bike for the price.

Submitted by Brendan Anderson a weekend warrior from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 27, 1996

Bottom Line:

I own a Norco Sasquatch whitch I bought used about 4 months ago for about $700
and so far it hasn't failed me yet. When It is about 26 - 27lbs and. It is
fully equiped with shimano LX components witch I think are great for the ability
I am at. It has a Rock Shox Quadra-5 fork on it which I think is great but I am
going to start racing so I might upgrade to a Quadra 21 or 21R. The only other
thing I wouldchange it to get SPD pedals which I am doing right as you read.
I think this is a great deal for a bike if you are in the Upper Beginer or
middle class skill of rider.