Murray Ultra All-Terrain Bike 1998 or Older

2.13/5 (16 Reviews)

Murray Ultra All-Terrain

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2014

Strengths:    I rode a 1995 model Murray mountain bike to school nearly every day for 5 years, and this thing never gave me a single problem or had a single part break. I was not easy on it. I'd be jumping off speed bumps, hopping up curbs at nearly full speed, going off high curbs at full speed, and once even rode it off a dock into a lake. I think my parents picked it up for $90 at Wal-Mart back in 1995. I proceeded to do this for the better part of ten years, all on the original parts and tires with the only maintenance being spraying WD-40 on the chain every spring and sometimes adjusting the brake cables.

Weaknesses:    -Heavy. I swear the frame of this thing was forged out of depleted uranium by the proud Dwarves of Middle-Earth, but it will not break.
-When quickly shifting the rear gears from 1st to 5th it would sometimes just dump the chain off the 5th gear entirely. You just needed to shift a little slower.
-Shock absorbency was non-existent. Imagine off-roading in a train.

Bottom Line:
This was one hell of a warhorse for $90. Screw the weight, get some leg strength, and this thing will take you to hell and back.

Duration Product Used:   ~10 years

Purchased At:   Wal-Mart

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by i hate murrays a Cross Country Rider from billerica ma

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2010

Strengths:    fun to demo

Weaknesses:    everything, fork bent from going up a curb

Bottom Line:
murrays suck

Favorite Trail:   anyone that dosnt suck

Purchased At:   found on the side of

Similar Products Used:   my beloved gary fisher and proflex

Bike Setup:   gary: wahoo frame with misc part jambalaya
proflex:deore xt

Submitted by yosemitesamiam a Weekend Warrior from Glendora, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2009

Strengths:    Well, there is one place this bike excels. That is, teaching a child how to work on a bike. It is broke so much, he will be an expert in bike repair by the time he is 7 (he is 6 now).

Weaknesses:    all mentioned above...but hey, for FREE it isn't bad!

Bottom Line:
If you get it for free, and know how to make adjustments and small repairs, ain't too bad for 'round town. Don't jump any curbs though, because then you will be buying rims! I think a Suzuki I rented in Denver did that once...hmmm.

Favorite Trail:   entrails

Purchased At:   FREECYCLE

Submitted by JP Smith a Weekend Warrior from Galveston Island, Texas USA

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2005

Strengths:    durable, dependable, right color (all black), nobody wants to steal it!

Weaknesses:    heavy, soft (low carbon) steel, uncomfortable seat, rusted out spokes

Bottom Line:
This bike is great... uhmmm perhaps I should explain where I live, my age, how I ride, etc.
First of all I ride this bike just about ever day for about an hour each day, some days 4 hours, some days not at all. I usually ride on a 7 miles long seawall that runs right along the beach on the gulf coast. Everything around here made of carbon steel rusts practicly overnight, so buying a $400 bicycle to ride on our seawall would be really dumb. Years ago at night in the dark I crashed this bike into a 1 foot high concrete slab (didn't see it @ about 20mph), bent the front tire/rim back into the crank, hit so hard that even the rear tire was warped. after my scuffs and scrapes healed I trued up the rims, cut the old fork tubes off, and welded some straight tubes back in their place (I couldn't locate a complete fork assembly that would work (cleap!)) and I started riding it again. I'm 41 years old and granted I do ride a bit slower now (sometimes) and I ride primarily flat land, but I still ride hard. This old beat up, ugly, welded on, rusted out, Murray has had alot of miles put on it, and I believe it has quite a few more to go yet. The best part is that I don't worry about someone cutting my bike lock to steal it :)

Favorite Trail:   Seawall

Purchased At:   wal-mart

Similar Products Used:   other bikes of the same class

Bike Setup:   26" Murry ATB

Submitted by ryan brielles a a Downhiller from fart city

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2005

Strengths:    the bike takes all the hard hits and puddles including some huge ass curbs. I am talking six inches here!

Weaknesses:    1. THE BIKE ROCKS BECAUSE IT IS SOLID STEEL
2. iT HAS A TOTAL OF 10 SPEEDS!
1.HAS 10 FEET OF TRAVEL!
3.DOSFLKAJFLKJDSAFN!
4.MJK75TYTR!?
3.#%$^&!

Bottom Line:
tHE HONDA BITES ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! I AM A SNAKE YOU KNOW. THAT IS WHY THIS BIKE BITES DONKEY BALLS

Favorite Trail:   a pond runs through it

Price Paid:    $52005020.00

Purchased At:   condom machine

Similar Products Used:   HONDA rn01 DOWNHILL BIKE

Bike Setup:   2005 SHIMANO SAINT

Submitted by joe shmoe a Downhiller from snoqualmie WA usa

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2005

Strengths:    cool looking, verrrrrrrrrrryyyyy strong parts

Weaknesses:    nothing

Bottom Line:
This bike took me to the RED BULL RAMPAGE! I finally had to replace it when the slime in my tires started to break[I had a swweet tubeless setup!] and I flatted. How in the heck do you change a tire? This bike sucks because it flats.

Favorite Trail:   your mom

Purchased At:   Singletrack cycles

Similar Products Used:   Ellsworth Dare 7

Bike Setup:   2005 XTR

Submitted by Dan a Cross Country Rider from Chicago, Ill USA

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2004

Strengths:    It will one day be recycled into a washing machine.

Weaknesses:    Weight, Build Quality, Better off braking with your feet, rims go out of true, shifters licks donkey balls, chain suck, and oh I NEVER rode it off pavement

Bottom Line:
If you are on this site, and are actually considering buying a department store bike PLEASE read this. When I went away to college, my old man bought me a Huffy I rode to class everyday and killed it in less than a year. He bought me a Murray the next year. EVRYTHING on this bike stunk. I could barely ride it up a paved hill. The worst experience came when I was crossing a street and stood up on the pedals to hurry my way across. The weld that held the crank arms to the chainrings shattered, sending me flying into the street in front of a speeding car. Luckily he slammed on the brakes missing me by a few feet, but I could have easily been killed. I was so pissed I stood up and threw the 40 lb POS across the street. Being poor and not wanting to walk, I found a guy in one of the maintance buildings to weld the thing back together for me. I later got a REAL bike, but gave this one to my sister. She gave it to her boyfriend to ride. He rode off a 4 inch curb to cross a street and the handlebars broke in half, sendind him flying into the street. HE could have been killed on the same bike. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE NEVER BUY A DEPARTMENT STORE BIKE You are truly risking your life just riding down the street.

Favorite Trail:   Cemetary Hill

Purchased At:   It was a present

Similar Products Used:   Other POS bikes like Huffy, as well as Trek 9800, Specialized StumpJumper, Cannondale F1000, TREK 930

Bike Setup:   Faster than yours, uranium rims, lighter than helium, blah, blah, blah

Submitted by dean a Weekend Warrior from usa

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2003

Strengths:    good wheels,good brakes,good shifters

Bottom Line:
i don't know what your whining about but dept store bikes
are as good if not better than LBS bikes of course their going to try to sell you a new bike thats what their there
for as for repairing most dept store bikes have name brand
componants on them so repairing them is not hard i've never
bought a LBS bike and i never will most of my bikes are cheap but with a little care and fixing they turn out fine
i've never had trouble finding parts and puting them on is easy the murray ultra all-terrian i use is a 24" 15 speed
MTB i go everywhere with it potholes and all i bought it used and did little repairs just because a bike cost 500-600
doesn't mean its better this is a good bike for anyone its good on or off road it even does water pretty good

Purchased At:   flea market

Submitted by Justin a Weekend Warrior from Montreal QC. Canada

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2001

Strengths:    Durablle, good tires

Weaknesses:    Very heavy plus 40 pounds,brakes, seat, rims
(you get the picture)

Bottom Line:
Was a real great bike for the city, light trail, however it's now in bike heaven... I got a new GF Tassajara, I had to get rid of this muray,cuz my local bike shop didnt want to fix department store bikes, and if they did i would have had to spend a helluva alot of money on pretty much everything,new rims(they were bent so bad, that they didnt eve pas through the fork anymore...

Bottom line: great for city riding light(and i mean light)trail riding however ive sold it to a freind for 50 bucks(screwed him over good). it can really take a beating.

Favorite Trail:   Mt.Tremblant...DUnno the name of da run

Similar Products Used:   Fisher, GT, Roky mountain

Bike Setup:   Cheap shimano brakes paid 'bout 25 $ cnd

Submitted by Hard Headed a Cross Country Rider from Redondo Beach, CA

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2001

Strengths:    O.K. Commuter bike
But a commuter specific bike would be a better choice

Weaknesses:    Definately NOT a true "dirt worthy" mountain bike

Bottom Line:
I was actually surprised to see a review for this bicycle because I’ve always thought of it as "generic," and didn’t think anyone would write about it. But I feel I have to put my two cents in.

My girlfriend used this bike for two years commuting to and from college before I "borrowed" it to find out what this "mountain biking thing" was all about. Knowing nothing about mountain bikes, I assumed if it had 26" wheels and knobby tires, it must be a mountain bike. Was I in for a Rude Awakening. I rode this bike twice up and down mostly fire roads. The brakes (or lack thereof) made any halfway steep or technical descent a frightening proposition. I had bent the "riser" handlebars below the level of the stem on my first descent down a bumpy fireroad. The wheels were so badly out of true by my second ride that I had to open my brake pads and ride with my feet out like Fred Flintstone back down the hill to my car. Needless to say, my first mountain biking impression was not the best.
Not knowing when to put down a lame horse, and because this bike was borrowed, I opted to repair the darn thing.

Rude Awakening #2. My LBS looked at me like I had a disease when I brought this to him to repair. It’s true what has been said about bike shops not wanting to work on dept. store type bikes. The mechanic warned me that I would be better off buying one of their lower end hardtails, than sinking any money at all into fixing my "cheapie" as he called it. Naturally, because I’m hard headed, I didn’t listen.
I ended up teaching myself bicycle repair. By raiding several bike shops bargain bins whenever something broke (which was all too frequent), I thought I was saving money. I had replaced almost every component (save the seatpost and frame) and managed to keep this bike rideable.

Rude Awakening #3. Over a year’s time,when everything was said and done, I realized I had spent almost $400 replacing parts (wheelsets, forks, seat, crankarms, etc.). And it was a $100 (MSRP) bike. I’d be lucky if this bike would net $50 at a yard sale now.
I’ve learned a hard lesson between INEXPENSIVE and CHEAP. For less than $400 I could have taken that LBS mechanic's advice and bought an INEXPENSIVE "real" mountain hardtail, more suited for its intended use, with better quality components (as in stronger and longer lasting), a lighter yet stronger frame, stronger rims, and as I’ve found out, a more dirt worthy bicycle overall. Instead, I sank too much money into a CHEAP, thinly disguised mountain bike that ended up costing me more money in the long run.

AAARRRRGGGHHH! If I only knew then what I know now...................

Favorite Trail:   Still Looking

Purchased At:   Extended Loan From Girlfriend

Bike Setup:   Previously stock components, but slid into a downward spiral of constant maintenance and parts replacement

Submitted by Brian "He-Man" Buell a Racer from Texas, USA

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2000

Strengths:    Strengths? this pos does not even know the meaning of the word

Weaknesses:    But knows this word VERY very well

Bottom Line:
I work at a bike shop, I cam not say how many time i see hunks of crap like this come into the shop for repair. My god.. save your money and buy a cheap hardtail of QUALITY at a REAL Bike shop, Atleast then you'll get a lifetime warranty on the frame and 2 on teh parts, where as little old Murray says... the day you buy.. the warranty is OVER!! I hate working on these pieces of Monkey crap, so please.. STOP BUYING THEM DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!! Oh yeah.. if I could.. I wouldn;t even rate this Hunk of crap... it's not worthy of even a negative number, but since I must it will get 1 freakin' chili

Favorite Trail:   Northshore

Purchased At:   dunno

Similar Products Used:   Never did, I ride a Sugar 1

Bike Setup:   CUstom built Gary Fisher 2001 Sugar 1

Submitted by charlie a Cross Country Rider from kinnelon, nj, usa

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2000

Strengths:    all things have their place

Weaknesses:    wheels, frame, bars, drivetrain, pedal axels, cranks, probably some more

Bottom Line:
just to put in a point:

i started my mountain biking experience on a murray, and while i wouldnt recommend it for any very serious riding, for getting around town and for minor off road riding, it is not that bad. by the time i was done with mine, the wheels were bent(not just an out of true type bent), the frame was bent, the pedal axels were bent, the cranks had a nice arc to them, and the bars looked like they were melting in the stem, but i had ridden it rather hard(for what they intended). i'm not saying trash your bike to get on eof these, but it is a great way to start. it has no granny gear and weighs upwards of 30 pounds, and if you stay on the bike as much as possible, it is a great way to build strength. by the time i got onto a real bike, i could climb anything because i had never had the possibility to run such low ratios and my bike had always been carrying and extra 5+ pounds. so, if you can pick one up for 70 bucks, go for it. if you ride it around the city and it gets stolen, so what? if you ride your trek 7000 or a bow ti around the city and it gets stolen, that sucks. everything has its place, even huffy's and murray's.

Favorite Trail:   watchung

Similar Products Used:   department store bmx bikes

Bike Setup:   not this one anymore

Submitted by Derek Jensen a Racer from Edmonds, WA

Date Reviewed: August 28, 1999

Strengths:
It's $100.

Weaknesses:
$100 is a lot to pay for a useless peice of mountain-bike-wannabe-crap

Bottom Line:
I borrowed my friend's for a couple days while my bike was getting a tune-up. nsfd, how DARE you say that a total POS Murray is BETTER than MY Trek 7000?!! Does your Murray weigh 25.2lbs, survive 35-mph runs down NORBA Downhill trails without a single bent rim, and completely smoke anything else even close to it's price?!! Oh, that's right, your Murray can't even take a hit from a POTHOLE. Do yourself a favor and save up a couple hundred bucks and get a basic Trek, Specialized, or other NAME BRAND bike at an actual BIKE SHOP and maybe you'll actually be able to ride a so-called mountain bike on a mountain.

Snoqualmie Pass #12