Mongoose Surge Bike 1998 or Older

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Submitted by Johnny a Cross Country Rider from Kingston, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2000

Strengths:    Decently spec'd for a rigid bike, and for the money you're paying for it. Good, strong (sorta heavy) frame. Not so much of the bike was house-brand stuff as you'd expect. Shimano hubs (although they're not great, it's still something), Weinmann rims, quality chain, etc..

Weaknesses:    BB started to creak on me after one season. The chain rings and cassette wore REALLY fast. The rear rim was toast pretty fast as well. But everything else has held up really well.

Bottom Line:
If you're new on the market, looking for a rigid bike which is readily upgradeable, and don't want to pay a lot..... this is it. At $600 and change brand new (although you'd probably only find them used now) it's a deal. Because Mongoose just left shocks out of the equation the frame is nicer, Alivio/STX front/rear instead of crappier stuff.
with the Jett's on it, this is a PERFECT beginners bike (which is what I was when I bought it) that'll hang around for years. I give it four flamin' roller-bladers because it really is a quality bike.

Favorite Trail:   anything I can find...... there's not a lot in Kinston, ya know?

Similar Products Used:   Peugeot Dune

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox '99 Jett, Amoeba riser bar, Titec L'il Al stem, threadless headset. And the rest is stock.

Submitted by Sam Waldron a weekend warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: September 25, 1998

Bottom Line:

I brought the bike in MArch of '98. I tried to write a review of it but my bloody computer stuffed up!
Anyway, the bike since then has been extremely good. I tested it rigid when i bought it and then I decided to put some Marzocchi Zoke Pro on the front (75mm of travel for AU$300.)
The forks helped the bike alot and now it is great to ride, but the bike weighs way too much! It is only a small 16 inch frame but it still weighs a tonne! Although it weighs alot it is still pretty easy to pop wheelies and it is good for jumping... When I brought it I would have given the forks 5 but now I'll give it 4 as the forks are bottoming out more regularly and as for the complete bike, i'll give it 5!
MONGOOSE KICKS EVERYTHING, DON'T GET RIPPED OF BY OVERPRICED COMPANIES (ie. GT, Cannondale) when you can get the same quality or even better for a much cheaper price with MONGOOSE!