Mongoose Rockadile SX Bike 1998 or Older

4.36/5 (33 Reviews)

Mongoose Rockadile SX

Submitted by William

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2014

Strengths:    I agree with MT Nato a Weekend Warrior. I first got my 96 in 1996 while working at Bell/Mongoose. The frame is rock solid and the gussets and welds are fabulous. I have over 30K or road and dirt miles on that frame and it is still strong. Many of those miles had been put on in the mountains of Santa Cruz and Lake Tahoe.

Weaknesses:    However, the shifting components at the time had not been so great so after 2 months I but on a SRAM ESP 7.0 gripshift kit (still on to this day). Got rid of the weak brakes and slapped on some Maguro Hydraulics (bright yellow) and some MTB Spinergy Wheels (4 Spoke Carbon). Left the grank set except the rear cassette which I swapped out for a more rangier Sachs.

Bottom Line:
Killer bike if you can get one before Bell sold Mongoose to Brunswick and took the line down hill into the BIG BOX Stores.

Submitted by MT Nato a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2014

Strengths:    Light weight , Strong frame.

Weaknesses:    Factory front shocks (Manitou 5) sucked. Upgraded the brakes shortly after.

Bottom Line:
I bought my Mongoose Rockadile SX new in 1996 from Bicycle Alley in Worcester MA. I paid $859.46. I still have the original paper work. I test rode a Trek and the 17.5 frame SX. I liked the grip shift and looks of the SX ( chrome with blue and white stickers). I had them raise the handle bars a bit with spacers , I felt like I was leaning to far forward for comfort. The first upgrade was a set of Judy Rock Shox. Then new brakes and a Rock Shock seat post. I just recently bought new tires, after 16 years 2000 miles the originals had dry rot. I used to ride more aggressively now its mainly flats. The bike has been abused, its also given me stitches. I could buy a new MTN bike but Why?

Favorite Trail:   Cape cod rail trail, MA

Purchased At:   Bicycle Alley

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox

Bike Setup:   Bike Alley , Worcester MA

Submitted by chris a Cross Country Rider from NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2007

Strengths:    Mega tough frame. awesome tyres, the tread is great for sand/dirt and after more than 5 years they havent worn out

Weaknesses:    I bent that crankshaft but i think it was more a rider issue :) Pedal locking nut has fallen off. caused me a half hour ride home with 1 pedal. $1.50 to fix but i needed grease and a lot of muscle to get it back tight again. steering column is slowly coming loose..........Forks havent got enough travel

Bottom Line:
Fantastic frame, really takes a beating, has a good centre of gravity. tyres and brakes last forever (5+ years). The forks need to be longer and for a 21 speed the gearing is a bit all over the place. I highly recommend the bike to people jsut getting into it. fantastic for dirt riding and light downhill. not the greatest for dirt jumping or drops because of forks but its an awesome offroad/road bike......best buy for the money

Favorite Trail:   anywere offroad

Purchased At:   Kilarney BIke shop

Similar Products Used:   giant stp2

Bike Setup:   stock except handlebar grips

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Brampton, Ontario

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2006

Strengths:    Rigid Ride, good geometry.

Weaknesses:    Stock Parts need to go.

Bottom Line:
Great frame, I bought this as a complete bike, switching out the fork immediately. The rest of the components came gradually. I upgraded to a new frame and sold the frame to a buddy who used for 6 years. The new frame cracked and became a wall decoration, so I got the frame back from my buddy and rebuilt the bike - wow! The frame is still in tip-top shape and the ride is still what I remember. I recommend this frame to any intermediate rider who has good components or can find one for cheap to build up.

Purchased At:   Spokes n' Slopes

Bike Setup:   Marz Z-1 Bomber, XTR Rapid Rise Rear/XT Front, Syncros Crank, Race Face B/B/Head Set, Scott LF Bar, Mavic CrossMax Wheelset

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from USA

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2006

Strengths:    Everything

Weaknesses:    Nothing

Bottom Line:
The bottom line? Its 2006 and Im still ROCKING the 1997 Rockadile SX. Its almost time for my baby's 10 year anniversary and I might actually buy her an upgrade. Ive not had to upgrade a single thing yet except the tires and handgrips because of wear. My gripshift rubber is rotting but still functional, and one of my spokes is loose. I keep the bike clean and I lube the chain and fork well. That goes along way.

For me this bike is an emotional experience. It all started the day I saw her. It was love at first sight. The chrome frame glistened in the store light, with the bold yellow logo, and the aggresive look. I asked for a test ride and when I got on, even though I hadent adjusted the seat yet, it fit like a glove. I guess thats the IBOC geometry? Since I had test riden 10 bikes over the last month this was a shock to me and I immediatly bought the bike, right there on the spot.

Only 10 years later am I able to appreciate what a fantastic, fantastic bike this is. It is the supurlative all arounder. I have a 19.5 size and it's not bulky on the trails but somehow it's also fantastic for long distance trail riding. Someone mentioned in here how they put slicks on this bike and competed in a road race. The frame is just dialed that you could actually do that, then turn around and go downhilling the next day. For the city somehow the frame remains taught enough for urban bashing with tons of bunny hopping over curbs, cats, whatever. Really there is no need for me to buy a road bike, or a more aggresive mountian bike, the 1997 Mongoose Rockadile SX is the jack of all trades.

This bike is indestructable. It has a triangle geometry built into the tubes that helps with strutural rigity. Ive been pounding the tar otta this bike for 10 years and it laughs at me. The only thing that can stop this frame is a smelting factory.

Everytime(I mean every single time too) I sit on the bike I think of how great the bike fits me and how well it rides. Im going to go on a trail ride right now of maybe 30 miles. I LOVE this bike.

MONGOOSE SX I LOVE YOU, you are my favorite and always will be!

Favorite Trail:   Rail Trail

Purchased At:   CyclePath

Bike Setup:   Everything is stock

Submitted by James G a Weekend Warrior from Northern Indiana

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2002

Strengths:    Comfy frame.
Fit

Weaknesses:    Cracking headtubes

Bottom Line:
Review by proxy.

This is my wife's bike. She's on her second frame. After about 1 month of riding she noticed a crack in the headtube.

Pity too because the bike fit, had a comfortbale ride, was not twitchy or slow in handling.

Bike was replaced. Fast forward several years of easy riding. Getting ready to upgrade to V-brakes and a few goodies, noticed another crack in the head tube. Frame is toast.

Will contact 'Goose tomorrow. Don't expect they have an equal bike anymore.

Can't complain too much, got the bike in 1997. But it should have lasted for many many more years.

Favorite Trail:   Still looking

Purchased At:   Bicycle One in Gahanna Ohio

Similar Products Used:   Huffy 10 speed.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Gary Ostergaard a Weekend Warrior from Pleasant Grove, UT USA

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2002

Strengths:    Frame, components

Weaknesses:    ugly paint - purple

Bottom Line:
I bought my Rockadile back in 96 from a pawn shop for $100 bucks. It was pretty beat up but I took it to a bike shop and they replaced the cables and gave it a tune up. I don't know how old it was, it just jumped out at me because it had a good set of components and who could go wrong for $100? I usually ride the same set of trails and I've ridden 5 different bikes on the same trails. The Rockadile was absolutely the best dang bike of them all. Best climber, best downhill, best shifting, best braking, and best riding, hands down! Dumbest thing I ever did was to let that one go, I wish I still had it. Out of the bikes I've ridden and owned this one gets a 5 all around.

Favorite Trail:   Great Western Trail

Purchased At:   AAA Pawn & Loans

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Raleigh, Diamond Back, GT

Bike Setup:   trigger shifters, (can't remember)

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Powell, TN, US

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2001

Strengths:    Timeless Looks, Integrity, Workmanship, Materials, Handling

Weaknesses:    Tioga Tires BLOW!!! Get a set of Ritcheys. Also the stock forks are bit weak.

Bottom Line:
For the money, you can't go wrong...but sadly, I won't get another Mongoose (at least a new one) since they aren't really Mongooses any more. You can't really beat a hardtail, especially if you're over 200lbs. I'm going a slightly different route by saying that I have actually taken great care of this bike and it has served me well, but I'm sort of catching full suspension fever. If you can find one for $250 like some of these guys, you're getting a great bike! How can you not give this bike 5 chilis--try finding a bike now for that money that has the same look and quality...you can't!

Favorite Trail:   Norris or Haw Ridge

Purchased At:   Drakes in Maryville, TN

Similar Products Used:   NA

Bike Setup:   '97 Rockadile SX--Upgraded forks to Manitou Palmer 80mm Strokers, 1" riser bars,

Submitted by audrey a Weekend Warrior from indy

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2001

Strengths:    very strong frame
looks good

Bottom Line:
well I thought this purchase was my mistake. The bike arrived with a cracked frame steerer receiver. I didn't notice until I had the bike a week. I secured it with a tight overlay and decided to go ahead a break it. Well to my surprise, it hasn't failed. I had just purchased some deore for it(because I like the way it feels on my iboc). I will save the xt and alivio parts. If the bike fails, I will replace it with the titanium mongoose no doubt. Wanna no when and how it fails? or any other questions, feel free to e-mail.

Favorite Trail:   town park

Bike Setup:   alivio cantilever brakes
xt
ahead stem
transx x bar
alex rims

Submitted by djonko a Cross Country Rider from Zwolle, Holland

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2001

Strengths:    strong frame, good geometry, weight of frame is acceptable
lx-rear der.

Weaknesses:    Weak components especially that poor sugino crank, heavy goose tires(garbage), paint on the frame.

Bottom Line:
Since '97 ,when I bought this bike,I changed every component beccause the bad quality.
The frame is very strong and it has a good geometry. It's also very stiff. 5 chili's for the frame and 3 chili's overall

Favorite Trail:   Gulpenroute Limburg, Holland

Similar Products Used:   GT zaskar/avalanche, Giant ATX/NRS

Bike Setup:   red '96 rockadile, Marzocchi Z3, RockShox seatpost,xt/xtr drivetrain, Profile equipement, Gore-tex

Submitted by Manny a Weekend Warrior from Fall River, Ma., USA

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
Bought the Rockadile SX new 4yrs. ago. Fell in love with it the moment I saw it at the bike shop. Once I rode it, I had to buy it. The Aluminum frame is great. Handles amazingly well on all types of riding. Have been upgrading components over the years as they wear out, and love the bike even more. It is like a fine aged wine. I had a Cannondale CAAD 3 frame bike I picked up cheap, and ended it up selling it after a few months for it doesn't compare to the Mongoose. It is a shame what happened with Brunswick buying Mongoose and ruining its reputation, but I stand behind my rig 100%. I'm not sure of their quality of bikes now, but my "97" Rockadile SX has been too hell and back. Crosscountry, Downhill, and Urban Assault riding. Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin.

Favorite Trail:   Arcadia Forest, RI

Purchased At:   Crosby Cycles, Fall River, Ma.

Submitted by Barry a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2001

Strengths:    Strong responsive aluminum frame, Wellgo clipless pedals, great buy for the money

Weaknesses:    Spec'd with some stx-rc parts

Bottom Line:
Though the bike is a '97, it was brand new, never ridden. Bike came with Deore LX rear, and stx-rc front derailleur, cranks, and hubs. Answer Manitou Pro front shock, and Mavic rims. It rode very well with my 200 pounds and lower end components. It now rides flawlessly with all the upgrades I've put on. It delivers everything I ask of it, and takes some punishing hits. While it will never be the greatest bike ever, for the money I've put into it (less than $1000) I'll put it up against any hardtail.

Favorite Trail:   Any trail at Tsali

Purchased At:   Bike & Hike

Bike Setup:   SRAM 9.0 drivetrain and brakes, XT hubs and cranks, Manitou SX-R fork, Bontrager Mustang rim (front) and Velocity Aeroheat (rear)Shimano M-545 clipless pedals

Submitted by Eduardo a Weekend Warrior from Chihuahua, Chihuahua, Mexico

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2001

Strengths:    Strong and responsive frame, light cromolly

Weaknesses:    Some of the orignal parts make the bike somewhat heavy. The orignal setup had a Duotrack front shock.

Bottom Line:
I bought my Rockadile Sx about 4 years ago from a kid who never even shifted the bike's gears so it was brand new
and have rode through snow, ice, mud, 5 feet of water (reservoir), and just about every material a trail can be made of, including 5 feet drops and the frame never gave up. Just last year, after 4 years of hard biking I noticed a tiny crack near the crank set. My bike shop added a few drops of welding and since then I didnt have any more trouble. From normal use and abuse I have replaced the rear dereileur, crank set and front shock at least once, but the bottom line is this is a great bike, and I hear Trek and Specialized and Giant frames cracking and bending, but every Rockadile owner I have met (2) rely on frame stenght.
Another very important characteristic of Mongoose frames: Confort and responsiveness. The frame design is very confortable.
I'm about to buy a new bike to replace my Rockadile with another Mongoose but I will hang this baby in my room wall!
I give it 5 flamin' chilis or whatever for value and overall, because any bike that withstands 5 years of trashing and then some deserves it.

Favorite Trail:   The Ejidos nearby

Purchased At:   from local bike shop