Mongoose NX 8.1 Bike 1998 or Older

3.67/5 (3 Reviews)

Mongoose NX 8.1

Submitted by David Bailes a Weekend Warrior from central minnesota, USA

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2009

Strengths:    For it's age and time period this is a true best buy. The whole setup is durable enough to get you through most anything.

Weaknesses:    For it's day it was great. The shifters were the weak point but they were better than many for it's day. I've had to replace them a couple times.

Bottom Line:
Ive had to replace everything except the frame, fork and rear shock through time because it got abused. It amazes me that for all the times I hit a mud hole and tasted the particular variety of mud, that the components kept going like they did. The core of this bike is strong. Soon I will be moving on to a new much better by technology improvemnets bike and give this someone who can't afford a better bike to get him going. That is after I get my new front wheel I am having built and get some miles on it. I have a friend who bought the competing (at the time) Cannondale and this was in the end much better.

Favorite Trail:   Willard Munger

Purchased At:   bike shop long gone

Similar Products Used:   Why use something else when this works.

Bike Setup:   Stock frame, fork and rear shock. All else replaced and upgraded through time.

Submitted by Steven Voboril a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2003

Strengths:    I got a killer deal on this Bike on 9/12 the day after the Plane attack! I have beaten it to death because I am not a very good rider and dont know too much about the sport I love!

Weaknesses:    Components for shifting are weak!

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is I will never be able to get a MSRP 1400$ bike for $325 ever again so I will upgrade upgrade upgrade!
I give it 4 chilis

Favorite Trail:   Back Bone Santa Monica Mountains

Purchased At:   Sport Chalet

Similar Products Used:   1st bike in 15 years

Bike Setup:   stock- I did have to replace the sprockets (bent em shifting)

Submitted by Wayne Arnold a Weekend Warrior from Three Hills AB Canada

Date Reviewed: August 15, 1999

Strengths:
not bad weight (29lbs)
durable frame
looks very cool
nice balance

Weaknesses:
a little weak on the shifting components (STX RC)

Bottom Line:
I love the bike, it looks great, and rides the same. If I could do some things to improve it, I would: upgrade from STX RC to at least an XC or better. Even though the STX RC is a good level, the reduced weight and added durability of a higher model would be a bonus. As with all FS bikes, with the exception of GT's I drive system, it takes a lot of pedal power to get this boy moving fast on the flats. The shocks are good, but if you plan on doing some serious downhill for the money, investing in some longer travelling and better dampend forks would be a good idea. No complaints about the rear shock though, the Rock Shox deluxe is a great shock for its price, it is probably the best buy for price and performance ratio. Anyway that is enough reviewing, overall I give the bike 4 peppers,

Snow Creek AB

less than 1 month

Indy C Long travel, rockshox Deluxe, Shimano STX RC, Axiom Bars, Anza Bar Ends, GT Seat (a little hard, but very light), weinman ZAC 19 rims, tioge tires, Alivo V-brake system.