Mongoose NX 7.5 Bike 1998 or Older

4.29/5 (31 Reviews)

Mongoose NX 7.5

Submitted by sam west a Downhiller from wimslow, cheshire, england

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2002

Strengths:    A good tough frame that i have used for downhill, dirt jumping and cross country, the frame is quite rigid and is very sensitive. It comes with a good dnm magnesium fork that gets around 3-4 inches of adjustable travel. excellent all-rounder that will handle every thing that you trow at it including 8 foot drops and massive jumps. but remember, it is only a cheap bike so dont go using it for anything really technical as it strugles.

Weaknesses:    poor componentry, except the fork. is let down by lack of front end strength, ie no gussetting and thin tubes.

Bottom Line:
a good quality bike but soon after you have bought it it will need upgrading to more decent componentry. buy it whatever biking you do as it is a great budget bike. just dont go too extreme.

Favorite Trail:   downhill on les chavannes@les gets-france

Purchased At:   a shop in france

Similar Products Used:   Trek 800 old one

Bike Setup:   new tyres, michelin tubeless, v8 pedals, assasin dual/urban bar, hope m4 front, hope mini rear, lotsa stickers, dmr chain guide

Submitted by Mick a Cross Country Rider from Sydney

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2000

Strengths:    Value for money, climbing ability and responsiveness.

Weaknesses:    Mongoose saddle and grips were crap and have been replaced. The Tektro brakes are not brilliant but go OK with decent pads (ie. Koolstops). The front shock (Jett) is more like a pogo stick than a shock absorber, but you get used to it. I'll probably upgrade the shocks to something better before too long.

Bottom Line:
This is a good value for money bike. I've had mine for just under two years and it is serving me well. It's strongest point is the way it climbs, important for someone who only rides a couple of times a weeks and is not super fit. With a better fork up front it would really shine.

Favorite Trail:   LCNP

Similar Products Used:   Morian (rigid) MTB

Bike Setup:   NX 7.1 1999.
STX-RC rear derailleur, rear hub and shifters, Tektro brakes, Weinman Zac rims, RockShox Jett forks, IRC tyres, Alivio cranks and front derailleur.

Submitted by Jason Pacey a Cross Country Rider from Chicago,IL USA

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2000

Strengths:    Great all around bike. Solid component group shimano and WTB parts package. Great color scheme. Holds up to a lot of abuse. Judy SL Shock can handle the abuse

Weaknesses:    Formula Disk brakes suck. I've switched to Hayes.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that this is a great mid-level mountain bike. I've rode it through the rocky and sandy deserts and mountains of the south west as well as the muddy, tight single track of the northern midwest. Its held its own with much higher end bikes.. A great deal for the price and parts package. I've completly abused this bike on trails and it has held up magnificently. Hey Mongoose. Nice job. Just work on getting some more championship riders to advertise these things.

Favorite Trail:   Franklin Moutains Wilderness Reserve

Purchased At:   Mongoose

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rock Hopper

Bike Setup:   set up for cross country racing. Rock Shock Judy SL, WTB speedmaster rims, WTB Momentum Disc HUB and head set. WTB Laser Velociraptor tires. XT/LX drive train. Avid levers. Titec flat tracker and Big Al Stem.

Submitted by Jeremy a Cross-Country Rider from Chandler, AZ

Date Reviewed: November 1, 1999

Strengths:
quality frame, great components, price

Weaknesses:
not a big name, but who cares

Bottom Line:
I picked this bike off the clearance rack and I love it. Componentry I got would cost at least $900 - $1100 for a newer, big name bike. The frame kicks ass, very responsive. This shock isn't rated well here, as are most Rock Shox, but I've found to be quite adequate so far(I'm not small either at 195 lbs). The overall quality is great, I can practically smoke the tires when starting, and the componentry for the dollar is unbeatable. Go Mongoose!

less than 1 month

Trek, C-dale, Raleigh

all stock still = Judy T2 long travel, XTR rear d-railer, XTR cranks, LX shifters, Avid brakes

Submitted by Elmer Del Campo a Weekend Warrior from Lakewood, CA

Date Reviewed: August 3, 1999

Strengths:
frame geometry, price, components, comfort

Weaknesses:
none so far!

Bottom Line:
My vintage mountain bikes has taken me far enough and I wanted a new ride. I was looking to spend about $800 on a new bike. I wanted a bike that could take me far and not have to upgrade every component. Instead I found a used '98 NX 7.1 for $300! $500 less than my budget. The components are Deore LX rear, STX front, STX hubs, Mavic 138 rims, Rock Shox Indy C long travel, Tektro V-brakes, Tranz-x shox seat post, and Advent bars. The goose had some paint nicks from the previous owner, but it is not abused. The previous owner only had it for 9 months, which he bought new at a local bike store. So far I am pleased with the ride. It's smooth, corners easily, and fast. The frame geometry feels beautifully stiff and still rides comfortably. The Rock Shox Indy C feels better than my Schwinn springer forks. If you could find a $300 bike w/ all these components and at the same time an NX 7.1 frame... buy the darn thing! Overall the bike gets 5 flames!

3 months

'99 Hardrock fs, '99 Rockhopper comp fs, '99 Trek 6500

Vintage '88 Supergo, '90 Rockhopper, '93 Backwoods, '53 Red Phantom

Submitted by Dimitris a Cross-Country Rider from Thessaloniki / Greece

Date Reviewed: March 14, 1999

Bottom Line:
Well, my MONGOOSE NX 7.7 is perfect. I bought it 2 weeks ago and I have finally understood that mountains are flat ! It makes them flat.
I love it !

less than 1 month

Submitted by Tim a downhiller from Ohio

Date Reviewed: February 28, 1999

Bottom Line:

I thought it was great, the handleing was awesome.....it took the hill and made it feel like i was riding on a flat surface....i really enjoyed it and i think if you really want a high quality bike, the mongoose NX 7.5 is for you....and even better it is at a reasonable price.

Submitted by Matt Hadley a weekend warrior from Budapest, Hungary

Date Reviewed: February 22, 1999

Bottom Line:

I purchased a Mongoose NX7.3 in June of 1998 and have found the bike to be excellent. It took a few rides to get used to the lower center of gravity but I have found the bike climbs like a Billie goat, I leave people in the dust on hill climbs, due to the bike of course, and on technical descents the bike maneuvers very well.

Submitted by jason a cross-country rider from prince george,b.c., canada

Date Reviewed: February 16, 1999

Bottom Line:

i bought the NX7.1 hardtail and it is the most sweet feeling frame ive ridden.It is sooo stiff and short it does what you want it to as fast as you can think it!!! I've put the velo crossbow saddle on it as well as a set of downhill bars and a shortie stem as the stem that comes with it is so unbelievably long it has no use other than to throw the riders center of gravity WAY over the bars...not good on hills!! I also threw on a set of cook bros. cranks and a new drivetrain and was not impressed with the crappy cranks that came with this bike. the tires were great for the ice and snow but i am going to replce the rims as soon as possible as well as the forks(to judy 100's)grips also sucked but now have oury grips and am happy. So basicly this bike kicks a** if you want just the frame.

Submitted by josh from massuchusettes

Date Reviewed: October 24, 1998

Bottom Line:

i got a mongoose hooligan and if you want a stunt bike this is for you it has a nice sterdy fram that can take a beating i got front and rear pegs and this bike is easy to do anything on. i live on a dirt rode and this bike takes it like i were riding on glass.

Submitted by Jt vages a weekend warrior from Barnstable,MA

Date Reviewed: October 13, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have the 1999 mongoose vilain for freestye and let me tell you that's the best bike I have rode. I takes a good beating aspecaily on jumps and stuff like that.It's great for freestyle,it's even got rear pegs. Ever since I got the vilain it's been exelent riding I realy like it!

Submitted by Jordan Newmiller a cross-country rider from MT, USA

Date Reviewed: September 23, 1998

Bottom Line:

This bike kicks serious ass in the cross country universe. I rode one of these with the gripshift on it and I felt like I was in heaven. The bike cannot be beat by any of the other so-called serious cross-country bikes. This is the way to go for all your cross country needs. The frame is kind of hard to size for, but my 19.5 inch NX 7.5 performs well and fits my body nicely. Get the Mongoose, it's worth it!

Submitted by Dan Stewart a cross-country rider from Newcastle(Australia)

Date Reviewed: September 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

Apollo Summit, I would never again buy anyhting from Apollo apart from the Raceline Extreme DH. All componentry break within the first 6 months. I am looking into buying Mongoose NX 8.1 but have since decided to go GT.
I can only suggest that you really look into the bikes and bike manufacturers befor making a skilled descision based on parts availability and servicing ease.

Submitted by Andrew a cross-country rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: August 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

The 7.5 goes off!, it's easily the best hardtail I've ever riden, and I own a bike shop, so I've ridden a few. The componetry is good but the thing that makes this bike so good is the frame, Mongoose hit the nail on the head with this one. Climbs like a dream and is also a good free-ride bike, only complaint is the skinny rims, which could be fatter so they buckle less, 5 chillies!!!

Submitted by keith a cross-country rider from manchester NH

Date Reviewed: August 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

I purchased a mongoose 7.3 about 3 months ago. I love it, it has a great feel and gives a real solid ride. Since I bought it I have changed a few things, I now have a raceface crank, raceface BB, magura hydraulic raceline D brakes, and she is full XTR, minus the front derailleur that is still stock. I bought a xtr front der. but, it just didn't fit. This bike kicks some serious ass now and I still have to upgrade the fork and the wheelset. Once that is done it will be worth 10 chiles.
I definitly give this bike 5 thumbs up and would reccomend this bike to anyone.