Mongoose D70R Bike 1998 or Older

4.37/5 (38 Reviews)

Mongoose D70R

Submitted by mongoosed a Weekend Warrior from Oxford, MI

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2010

Strengths:    Solid, Smooth, Reliable

Bottom Line:
So I’m a little late reviewing this but I’ve recently started riding it again and have fallen back in love with it. I bought it about 10 years ago because I wanted something with dual suspension that wasn’t garbage but I didn’t have the dough to spend what the bike stores were charging. The D70r seemed like a strong value for 300 bucks. I rode it for many years down many trails both through the woods and on rail to trail systems.
It has always shifted crisply and has great balance and maneuverability. I’ve kept it stock because it has always met my needs. I was also lucky enough to have it assembled by a tech who worked part time at Dick’s and part time at the local bike shop.
My riding style has changed over the last 10 years. As marriage, mortgage and other responsibilities piled on the time for riding seemed to become harder to find. The bike ended up hanging from the ceiling of the garage for the last 5 years or so. I recently pulled it down along with my wife’s bike, put air in the tires and fired through all the gears again. My spark for this bike came rushing back. With daughter in tow I’ve put the kickstand on, added a head light and tail light as well as the trailer coupler. It has definitely taken on a new roll but it still looks good doing it. There are about 450 miles of trails under its tires so now we will see how many family miles will be added. There is a 15 mile ride coming up in a couple weeks so I’m looking forward to getting back into the swing of things.

Favorite Trail:   Bald Mountain

Purchased At:   Dick's

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Halifax PA

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2007

Strengths:    frame

Weaknesses:    the cheap tires

Bottom Line:
I have riden this bike for 5 years now the only problem i have ever had with it were the derailers so i put on xt now the bike is fast and smooth i have pounded this bike and passed alot of rider riding 2,000 dollar bikes they just stare and ask what it is . love the bike

Purchased At:   dicks

Bike Setup:   i totaly redid the suspension new irc tires and a nasbar saddle

Submitted by Bart Schairer a Cross Country Rider from Hammonton

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2007

Strengths:    Great Price, indestructible saddle, good gearing, great rear suspension, great paint job (mine is blue, but other years were colors I didn't like; while the frame is aluminum and light, I have not yet been able to damage it. Overall the bike takes a beating well.

Weaknesses:    Front shocks are a bit on the soft side. The tires are not aggressive enough for hard riding in sand, mud, or hills in the gravel pit. They are, however, a good compromise for all-around riding, as they can be ridden on the street without too much trouble.

Bottom Line:
For the price this bike is GREAT! My wife's Novara cost more ($450) and seems to be of a bit better quality, but I like the Mongoose better. The Zokes shocks on her Novara are stiffer - the Jetts on the D70R bottom out if you come off a high jump, and they tend to bob up and down if you stand up and pedal hard. However...while riding seated they provide a smooth ride as you go over rocks, tree branches or roots, fallen riders, holes, and/or asphalt roads in disrepair.

I kept the stock saddle for TWO reasons:
1. No one has EVER, ever asked me to lend them my bike.
2. It is virtually indestructible. I tried a 'more comfortable' saddle for two weeks, but it didn't do well on crashes (got tore up). The stock saddle still looks like new, and I've flipped this bike over on rocks and into trees more times then I can remember. It's narrow design allows freedom of movement under all conditions - I've come to love it - after learning that you HAVE to wear cycling shorts in order to be able to walk the next day.

The rear suspension is GREAT - wouldn't consider changing it.

The derailers aren't the greatest - shifting can be a challenge at times, but they usually get the job done. They are still working after many crashes, so I'm not complaining.

The stock tires are OK - but just OK. I haven't changed them only because I haven't yet decided on what to go with. They are better than those that came with the Novara, but not as good as the tires that came with my son's Motiv, which was a $99 bike. If you want to win any races off road (or just not crash as often as I do), you HAVE to change the tires!

I've not yet seen a prettier paint job on any bike! My bike is the nicest blue paint I've ever seen on anything, so I never take my eyes off my bike when I take it places!

After all these crashes, the brakes still work well without rubbing - I'm pleased.

I took the pedal clips off after the first ride - too hard to dismount in a crash with them on.

FINAL ANALYSIS: This is NOT a top-end custom bike. As long as you understand this is a department store bike (and you don't mind getting funny looks when you go to a bike shop for parts) you won't be disappointed. For the money I think this bike ROCKS! With the money you have left you can change whatever parts you don't like, but you'll find if you leave it stock you can really beat the crap out of it and it will keep going!

Favorite Trail:   Sailor Boy Road - a 10 mile trail through the woods dating back to the 18th century; & gravel pit.

Purchased At:   BJ's

Similar Products Used:   Novara Bonanza, Motiv Tahoe

Bike Setup:   As of today it is still totally stock. I'm looking to replace the crankset with a Shimano with a 30-39-52 tooth set, as here in New Jersey (flat) I have never used the 22 tooth sprocket and the 42 tooth could use a little help on the street (stock is 22-32-42).

Submitted by Adrian a Weekend Warrior from West Newton, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2007

Strengths:    Good strong frame

Weaknesses:    Seat and Tires. Tires were cross country tires, so i replaced them with Bontrager Big Kahuna tires and replaced the seat.

Bottom Line:
Good solid ride for beginners

Favorite Trail:   Forbes State Forest

Purchased At:   Dicks Sporting Goods

Similar Products Used:   My first full suspension mountain bike

Bike Setup:   Original except the tires and seat

Submitted by Evan Scooter a Downhiller from Rochester

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2007

Strengths:    My first true mountain bike. Great looks, all aluminum frame which is strong and light and it’s 24 speed. The style and coloring is great. Good price for a full suspension bike like this. I ride this bike hard and it can take it and has been taking it for 8 years. my friend always want to ride it. Bought this mongoose d70r in 1999 and it is March 2007 now, this bike is still running.

Weaknesses:    seat sucks, change it, I did, and it helped a lot. The tires are cross-country tires so I don’t know what they where doing on a mountain bike.

Bottom Line:
Good bike for the money. Gave it a 4 for overall rating because there are better off road bikes out there, but not for this price.

Favorite Trail:   mmm any where off road

Purchased At:   Dicks

Bike Setup:   Have real off tires and a wider and softer seat.

Submitted by GUS BROWN a Cross Country Rider from CAMDEN, SC USA

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2005

Strengths:    GOOD FRAME,SHIFTERS,DURABLE PAINT WHEELS

Weaknesses:    SEAT, SEAT POST COULD BE A LARGER DIAMETER REAR SUSPENTION BOB

Bottom Line:
I HAVE BEEN THRU A FEW BIKES AND PARTS, BUT I STILL ENJOY RIDING THIS RIG IT IS SMOOTH AND RELIABLE. IT IS NOT MY FAVORITE, BUT I'LL TAKE IT OUT FOR A SPIN REGULARLY.

Favorite Trail:   ANY OFF ROAD

Similar Products Used:   D40

Bike Setup:   ALIVEO SHIFTERS DEORE COMPONETS

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from East Norriton, PA., USA

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2003

Strengths:    Great welding, Great balanced rims and crank, Smooth steering.

Weaknesses:    Don't buy assembled from Wal-Mart again. Problems shifting, Wouldent shift in 24th gear. Took it to the bike shop to be fixed!

Bottom Line:
great bike for the buck! For sale, best offer! racecar406@yahoo.com , I can e-mail pictures

Purchased At:   Wal-Mart

Similar Products Used:   I still have my old "mongoose californian BMX "20 bike" (1988) Chrome frame and fork. Looks like new.

Bike Setup:   Stock, I used it twice. Bike never saw water or dirt! Flawless, Brand new!

Submitted by tom a Downhiller from new york

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2002

Strengths:    good all around,

Weaknesses:    origional tires, seat both suck. changed them.

Bottom Line:
I ride 30 miles of Hard mountain trails a week...Still going.....the rock shock has been more then perfect...the nice thing is the front and rear shock is adjustable...I have 0 complaints as of yet...The bike currently has at least 900 or so miles on it...the rims are now getting the wobble, the crank was just rebuilt after falling apart...I beat this thing to death and its still going. I will try to find an exact to replace it with....Excellent bike for the dollars....

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   bj's

Similar Products Used:   trek

Bike Setup:   almost stock...changed tires and seat. Also installed a 3 inch neck extension. what a difference...

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Columbus, OH, USA

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2002

Strengths:    Cheap fun. Holding up better than expected. Not doing the upgrading I expected to. Starting to get some confidence in the frame.

Weaknesses:    Pedal-induced rear suspension bob. Stock shift levers (low-end Shimano, I assume). Uncomfortable saddle. Weight of components.

Bottom Line:
This is a follow-up review, after October, 2000.

One of my sons has ended up riding this bike a lot more than I have. His major complaints were the uncomfortable saddle and the shifting.

I got rid of the shifting problems. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how. I made two changes simulataneously. Because my sons and I all prefer twist shifters to thumb-and-finger shifters, I installed a set of SRAM Attacks. While installing them, I noticed that the front derailleur was not aligned quite as well as it could have been. With the derailleur aligned a little better, and the Attacks on the bars, the shifting complaints are gone.

In my first review, I complained about pedal-induced bob, and mentioned getting a better rear shock to control it. I suspect I was misguided in that thinking. The low pivot point for the swingarm makes bob inevitable in the big rings with this frame. That does not mean that it is not a good frame. It just means that it is not a good frame for riding fast on pavement. This thing is a blast in tight rough stuff.

I think the frame is solid. A Mongoose-bashing mechanic told me that the bushings won't last, and I am worried about that. But I think I'm going to keep this one and go for shock upgrades front and rear when I come across good deals. Ditto for drivetrain components.

This was a decent bike for the money, even though you have to be a mechanic or pay one to get the bike set up right.

Favorite Trail:   hills

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR's, Giant NRS, Trek STP.

Bike Setup:   SRAM Attack shifters, various wheelsets and tires, various saddles.

Submitted by Gonff a Weekend Warrior from Knoxville,TN USA

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2002

Strengths:    cheap cheap cheap, full-suspension

Weaknesses:    tires, rims, grips, and the front shock
but for the price you can

Bottom Line:
mine came a little bit rusted and scratched from walmart but it was cheap
great bike for people under a budget, also a good bike for up grading
replace the tires if you plan to off road, they are great in grass and on the road

Favorite Trail:   any trail

Purchased At:   Wal-Mart

Similar Products Used:   mongoose d70r $300 this one kept braking and dick's sporting goods finally let me replace it
Mongoose hardluck replacemenbt bike, the chainstay was to close to the chain rings and caused problems returned

Bike Setup:   stock besides 2002 duke race, xtr front drailuer, irc tires, and a pair of crapy koski revolver pro pedals which i got under warranty from hardluck

Submitted by zach a Cross Country Rider from chapel hill nc usa

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2001

Strengths:    this bike is probably the best upgradable cheap bike around.
light, strong, almost anything that you would like in a bike.

Weaknesses:    people think that mongoose sucks.

Bottom Line:
If you love to upgrade, like myself, this is the best bike, partly because I have spent about $650 on this bike, and it matches and over takes most bikes that are in the $1000- $1200 range. period. I've tested and rented bikes such as trek fuels, sugars, stumpys, fsr's, almost any high-end dualies that you can think of. The mongoose matched them in basically ever category. Really the only bikes that suceed the mongoose are: the fisher sugar 3, and giant nrs series, really only because they are a couple of lbs. lighter. So as soon as you buy this bike, soup up the drivetrain, cockpit, brakes, and suspension, and man you are ready to go!

In other words, don't give in to the crap that mongoose takes, buy a GOOD mongoose and upgrade it. TRUST me you'll save money big time!

Favorite Trail:   beaverdam

Purchased At:   dickies

Similar Products Used:   fisher, giant, treks, and specialized

Bike Setup:   xt/lxd sun ryno lites, sxr, ritchey saddle, kore, kalloy, avid arch rival supremes ( the best cable brakes, hands down) in other words hardly anything is stock.

Submitted by Jonesy a Racer from Bovard,PA,USA

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2001

Strengths:    I love the brakeing and the speed. The style and color is great I added some confederate flag stickers for a bad ass look along with 2 pancer fire wall xt blue wall tires. I raced it about 10 times and my friend always wana ride. But I like it

Weaknesses:    I hate the tires that were on and the chain and rear derailer sucked along with the rear shox i replaced it with Fox Shock.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is I love the bike and and the speed i get from the minor changes i made on it. I will keep raceing it and thats the bottom line

Favorite Trail:   5 Star Trail

Purchased At:   Dick's Sporting goods

Bike Setup:   I run a street and trail set up on my bike.

Submitted by KrazyMoFo a Downhiller from VA

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2001

Strengths:    Aluminum frames are strong and light. Shimano parts are alright, but not near as good as i use. Very light compared to the size of the downtube. I race NORBA cross country, dual slalom, and some downhill and this is a good beginners bike, especially if you dont have a ton of money to dish out for a Jamis, GT, or a Cannondale

Weaknesses:    Well, the tires suck really bad! I replaced them with some WTB moto raptor tires after like a week. They went bald after like 5 hours of riding. THE SHOCKS ARE TERRIBLE! though Rock shox is a good brand this is the lowest shock you can get (Jett C). I upgraded to a Manitou X_Vert with 105 mm of travel right away. The bushing on the rear shock is pretty crappy, as well as the rear shock itself. REPLACE IT RIGHT AWAY! i now have a Fox Float R on it, and it works fine. i also upgraded the parts to Shimano XTR (like 600 bucks, not too bad). All in all, after a bit of upgrading, its not such a bad bike. Oh and by the way, i must tell you to put clipless pedals on it and assemble it yourself!

Bottom Line:
See the weaknesses, that covers most of what i was supposed to put here, whoops. All in all, after like 400 bucks in shock upgrades, itsa good bike!

Purchased At:   Dicks sporting goods (The price was before upgrades