Mongoose D60R Bike 1998 or Older

4.3/5 (63 Reviews)

Mongoose D60R

Submitted by RJ

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2012

Strengths:    This bike was way ahead of it's time. Very Light. Quiet.

Weaknesses:    Heavy seat post, Awful seat!

Bottom Line:
I purchased my D60R on craigslist. Mint condition. The previous owner had it for the last 10+ years in a garage. Not one nick or ding on it. Broken seat spring. I bought a new seat post and seat; as the stock ones are heavy. I paid $80 plus a few simple upgrades. I spent maybe $125-150 on this bike. Seems kind of a big investment into a Goose; but it has been fantastic as long as Ive owned it. Ive ridden many bikes and this particular Mongoose exceeded my expectations by an incredible amount. Very little adjustments made, stays true and I ride it daily (weather permitting). Still holding up like a champ in August 2012. Amazing!!!

Submitted by Dustin a Weekend Warrior from atlanta, GA, usa

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2011

Strengths:    Solid bike, looks cool, indestructible.

Weaknesses:    Seat sucks.

Bottom Line:
My 1st bike, bought it in college 8 years ago to try mountain biking and rode it 3-4 times a week on the local single track..never had any issues. After a few year break I'm back into it, tossing this thing down hills, rocks you name it.. I've never broken anything, or even needed to adjust anything. I've never cleaned this bike - not once. So with 0 maintenance, and me thrashing this bike for 8 years it still runs perfect. I bought another "wal-mart" bike and my friend rides with me.. every time we go out something breaks on it, so I'm even more appreciative of this gem.

Favorite Trail:   sope creek

Purchased At:   sports authority

Submitted by MartyL76 a Weekend Warrior from Valdosta,Georgia,USA

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2010

Strengths:    The frame is very sturdy!
Good geometry for trail riding!
Upgradeable!

Weaknesses:    The wheels are single wall
Seat Post is junk
Seat is junk
Handlebar is too narrow for me.
No rear Disc Brake Tab

Bottom Line:
The frame is very sturdy and can take some pretty rough trails. I have jumped this frame many times and run through the rough stuff at high speeds and it does the job. Keep in mind that I have went through the entire bike and upgraded a little at a time but for the price of one of these bikes you should expect some of the components to be on the low end. I love the feel of this bike and its light enough for me as well. I am a clyde (275 lbs) and did not think this bike was going to hold up but I am still riding it and I still love it. I also have a 2007 Jamis Dakar XCR and I actually ride all the trails just as fast on the Mongoose.

Purchased At:   from a friend

Rear brake is a Shimano XTR V brake
Shimano Hollowtech Crank and a BB30 Bottom Bracket

Submitted by Shanon a Weekend Warrior from Honolulu, HI

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2010

Strengths:    STRONG!!! Only neighborhood riding, BUT this would include 5-8 stair high jumps and dirt and grass hill jumping in the local parks and schools. Ridden 3-5 times weekly. Suspension travel is good, almost too good. Slight "pogo" effect when pedaling at speed from rear spring, but very comfortable ride (replaced stock seat with a gel one).

Weaknesses:    Seat needs to be changed out. Too small and no padding. Feels like a BMX bike seat. It's a little tall for me (I'm only 5'-5". I bought it in 2001, and at that time there were not as many choices in frame sizes). Front gears slip in some speeds, mostly under pressure going up hill. Annoying, but bearable. Handlebar stem is a little long, making it quite far from the seat, making you feel as though you are leaning forward onto the bar. Height of handlebars have little to no height adjustment.

Bottom Line:
Originally bought this bike in 2001, used it for a year, then stored it until 2009. Found under some junk in the garage and cleaned it up. Surprisingly, everything worked. Rust in the usual places, but nothing broken. After replacing the handlebar with a dirt bike style low crossbar type, it rode more upright (less stress on my lower back on long rides). I ride it like a BMX bike and the darn thing takes every jump and hard landing and asks for more. The rims are showing signs of warp-age, but that's obvious. The frame is thick and virtually indestructible. It doesn't look too bad either. A little on the heavy side, but that's the price for strength. Outstanding value. Get one if you can!

Purchased At:   Sports Authority

Bike Setup:   Stock except for the gel seat and a new handlebar (taller).

Submitted by docroznak a Weekend Warrior from Miami, FL USA

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2010

Strengths:    Looks
Price
Longevity

Weaknesses:    Stem Height
Seat

Bottom Line:
Some might say that this bike should be in the Smithsonian. And some reviewers stated get one if you can find one. I compared it to the newer models at Wal-mart and hands down the quality even for its age can't be beaten with a stick. I was looking for a bike to ride for excercise and haven't rode a bike for a loooong time! The bike was in near mint condition when I got it except for the seat. The action and mechanical components were in great shape and the beast rode smooth as glass for my 267 lbs body even with the stock Kendra tires. The road I ride on near home has cracks and pot holes and I still enjoyed the ride without pounding my back or rear end. So I have to give a two thumbs up and a double high five for the suspension. My gosh I can hear it scream painfully under my 267 lbs. All I can say is this has to be the best bike I have ever purchased. And considering the last review here was from 2008 that is alot to say for a bike that is as old as it is. Its upgradeable and durable what more can you want. Get one and have fun.

Favorite Trail:   None as of yet

Purchased At:   Play It Again

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn

Bike Setup:   Changed out seat for my larger derrier; one without the nose piece that digs and chaffs into your inner thighs, and installed a stem riser, adjusted the cabling a little since it was used.

Submitted by Bob a Cross Country Rider from Charlotte, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2008

Strengths:    Price - 25 bucks
Overall niceness

Bottom Line:
Great bike, with replaced components

Favorite Trail:   none

Purchased At:   neighbor's house

Bike Setup:   Replaced all components other than the frame

Submitted by Lektrixx a Weekend Warrior from Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2008

Strengths:    Great shocks, frame, gearing, and smooth ride.

Weaknesses:    Horrible stock seat.

Bottom Line:
I haggled this at a local pawn shop for $40. It was in horrible condition, all cables were out of wack, tires were blown, chain slightly rusted. I replaced tires and tubes to high-end mountain riding schwinn products, fixed the cables and replaced the brakes, installed a comfort seat, got the rust off the chain, etc. This bike is probably now one of the best I've had. The gears change quietly and with ease. The ride is great, on pavement and rough terrain. The "rock-shox" make bumps feel invisible. Great project bike, and easy to fix up. Total including bike price to fix up probably cost around $500. Well worth spending.

Favorite Trail:   City & Beach

Purchased At:   Local Pawn Shop

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose only

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from st.pete, florida, u.s.a.

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2006

Strengths:    very good and strong frame, decent components for the money.

Weaknesses:    crotch nummer seat, nasty slick kendal tires, rear derailer.

Bottom Line:
for 200.00 it is a great bike overall---and extremily easy to up grade as i did--it is now a 1400.00 bike, so for those looking for a bike for 200.00 dollars---this is the one--if you can find one, I really love this bike now after upgrading, and the wired orange paint is awsumb too. so i will give it five flaming chillies.

Favorite Trail:   city bike trails

Purchased At:   wal-mart

Similar Products Used:   schwinn, fuji,giant.

Bike Setup:   judy xc, forks, and fox vanilla rear shock,xt front and rear derailers,topeak beam rack,and bag,cat eye headlight and tail lite,monkey bars,mavic rims and wheelsets,shimano xt rear casette,also xt crankset and bottom bracket.

Submitted by Chuck a Weekend Warrior from Indianapolis,Indiana

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2005

Strengths:    Frame can be upgraded, very good option. All other parts work great as long as if you dont smash them on some rocks!

Weaknesses:    The Kenda tires. The day I bought mine I bought new tires.

Bottom Line:
I first got this bike because I trashed my other bike (bent frame) on a three day weekend getaway with my buddy's. I needed something to get me thru the weekend and I did not have a lot of money to spend. Someone had traded in the d60 for a big dollar bike and the nice sales guy told me I could buy the d60 for cheap money and if I wanted to upgraded parts it would be the perfect bike for me. So the only thing I changed before I left the store was the tires and an Avocet computer. The d60 spent the next two days down hilling at 40+ mph on Killington's VT. Access roads. The wheels needed truing at the end of the each day but the bike held up just fine! For the next few years of its life it was trashed and slashed on Ski Resort Mountains. Then I moved to Indiana! I found some nice single track trails to beat up the bike on. But the worst I can manage is to slightly bend the original wheels after hitting big rocks at way to fast speeds! The bike might be heavy compared to higher priced bikes but if you want a light bike, leave the Camel Back at home (six pounds) and loose five thru Ten pounds by working out!

Bottom line is: We all want a bike to go faster and harder than everyone else. (That’s why we want to spend 1-3k on a bike) but 30 percent is the bike and 70 percent is the skill of the rider! So before you dig deep into your pocket how serious are you going to take Mountain bike riding?

Favorite Trail:   DownHill at Killington, Vt.

Purchased At:   A Bike Shop after crashing my hardtail on a very fast access road on killington MT.

Similar Products Used:   I have tried so many bikes I can't list them all!

Bike Setup:   I have only changed the tires and upgraded to a RS Judy in 2003 because I wanted more travel on front wheel. ( The old Jett C was wearing out! )

Submitted by Jorge Colmenares a Racer from Waco,Tx

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2004

Strengths:    Cheap,strong,very reliable,low maintenance,upgradeable.

Weaknesses:    Rear suspension SUCKS,lots of rebounding when pedaling (pogo effect),the original derraileur and Megarange cassette not compatible with me.

Bottom Line:
For the money I paid for this...Ha!,nothing comes close, I ride this thing hard, 3 to 5 times a week sometimes,specially during racing season, and almost all the parts came from my Trek 930 (some of them already been replaced),It thrieves on neglect,I rarely do anything to it and holds its own,adjustments when it needs it (almost never),I use this bike for training and it's been serving my purpose completely.

Favorite Trail:   Cameron Park,Waco,Tx

Purchased At:   Billy Bob's Pawn Shop

Similar Products Used:   None,always ride hardtails,but I rode a Cannondale Super Vee 1000 and a Scalpel 1000 from two freinds and have a little reference.

Bike Setup:   Stock fork,stem,handlebar,seat,seatpost,bottom bracket,front derrailleur and rear V-brake,Formula Weinmann wheelset,Shimano STC-RX cranks and chainrings (44-32-22 donated from my Trek 930)Deore front V-brake,Deore LX shifters and brake levers and Deore XT rear derrailleur and cassette,Shimano 525 SPD pedals,riding on Hutchison Python in front and Tioga Psycho T-T tires on back

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2003

Strengths:    great price, unbreakable frame, decent brakes and OK components, and durable rear shock

Weaknesses:    Kenda tires are garbage, and dangerous in wet conditions.(i have taken a few nasty spills when the roads were wet). heavy steel rear fork, rear derailleur(has to be re-adjusted almost every ride), and bad Rock shox fork. Rims bend easily, and the seat is painful

Bottom Line:
This bike is unbeatable for the price range, and is comparable to bikes that cost upwards of $700. i have taken the bike on hundreds of trails, and have probably put over 500 miles on it. although it needs alot of maintenence, it is a great and sturdy bike, good for someone just getting into the sport. if you buy this bike, you should upgrade almost all of the components(fork, derailleurs, tires, rear cassette(gears) once you upgrade, it will be a great bike, although a bit heavy

Similar Products Used:   cannondale f700, Jamis dakar comp 2002

Bike Setup:   basically stock except for Performance contour seat, Michelin WildGripper hot S tires and new tubes.

Submitted by Jon O a Cross Country Rider from North Bend

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2003

Strengths:    Price, upgradable and under-rated fork, unified rear triangle frame, durability

Weaknesses:    most components don't hold up and/or work well right off, but are easily swapped

Bottom Line:
There is no rear shock--it has a spring-holder in the rear, but shock absorption is non-existent. Good bike after it's upgraded, and assuming you can stand the weight--for 8-times more money (Klein) the components get somewhat better and the bike gets lighter and more adjustable, but otherwise not that noticable. I weigh 215 and it's held up well. Good for beginners, upgrade as you go.

Favorite Trail:   God's Skateboard Park

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Homegrown, Klein full suspension

Bike Setup:   knobby tires, pedals with clips, longer stem, seat post, Rithey seat, standard crank, 14-28 freewheel

Submitted by Cliff Darby a Cross Country Rider from Pineville

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2002

Strengths:    strong frame, decent components, good price

Weaknesses:    rear shock sux, seat painful, cable runbs paint off near head tube, jus minor things

Bottom Line:
I have put this bike through more than i think it was intened to do. This was a birthday gift and my first bike. I have ridden it sruprisengly mostly steets, about 50 miles a week. Took it trail riding at lake valentine, and it did alright. Maintenance has been ridiculous, as in at least once a month something broke or had to be adjusted. I ve broken or replaced most the original part except the headset, stem, handlebars, and fork. I think the handlebars and/or stem will be the bext casualty casualty. There is a bad creaking adn popping sound coming from the bar. I have takin off bars and lightly greased the bolts on the stem, but still creaks.

The bike rides great when it works. I have spent hours and hours riding all over town, though its a mtb. The kenda tires are decent road tires, but ive punctured twice. Ive ridden it through the woods and on the campground loop at valentine afew times and it performed better than i expected, but i prefer to take my uncle's f1000. I think part of it ids tere isnt much need for fs in louisana.

Currently i am looking to sell the D60R. I am looking to buy a schwin homegrown from my uncle with a bunch of nice parts on it, but i have to take many of my goodies off this bike and put them on the homgrown frame. Any one who is interested in purchasing this bike from me with mostly stock parts except the cassette and fork, let me know! Great Price!

This is a great bike and i will miss it if i ever sell it.

Purchased At:   walmart