Mongoose D50 Bike 1998 or Older

3.62/5 (29 Reviews)

Mongoose D50

Submitted by David R F a Weekend Warrior from Mexico city, Mexico

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2007

Bottom Line:
Actually this is not a review, if anyone is willing to sell a Mongoose MGX d50 (silver) please contact me. thank you very very much. (shipping is not a problem)
kenshin_him_yh@yahoo.com.mx

Favorite Trail:   none

Purchased At:   Cotsco Mexico city

Submitted by Kyle a Downhiller from Seattle

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2004

Strengths:    Well, it's cheap!! And from what I can tell the frame is strong. It is also pretty and shiny. mmmmmmmm........silver.

Weaknesses:    MY WRISTS!!! I managed to shatter both of my wrists at the same time riding this bike. Not really the bikes fault though. The components are the weakest parts of this bike. Especially the everything except the frame

Bottom Line:
If you want to buy this bike....rip everything off and start from scratch you will be OK. But why not buy a better frame (used) and build it up? I just bought a GT XCR2k for under $200. But if you can find the frame alone for a good price, why not. This is a great bike if you want teach your kids about bicycle maintenance and how to handle extreme amounts of PAIN! Both valuable lessons.

Value rating is for inital cost, it does not include buying new components and health insurance deductibles.

Overall rating is 3 because I knew when I bought it that it was a piece of crap. It served its purpose and got me to classes during college, while saving me enough money to buy lots of beer!

Favorite Trail:   Okachokaminnawahneepaheenana

Purchased At:   COSTCO

Similar Products Used:   Nishiki FS, GT XCR2000, GT RTS, SCHWINN MOAB SS

Bike Setup:   Mongoose MGX D50-i Frame XT bottom Bracket, XT Deraileurs, LX Brakes, LX Shifters, LX/STXRC Hubs, MAVIC Mustang Rims, Kooka Cranks. Cane Creek AD12 rear shock, Girvin Chubby Fork, DH bars, Tires...made of some sort of rubber......with air in them. and a seat ......for my butt.

Submitted by Justin Price a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, Ca USA

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2004

Strengths:    Price, Frame.

Weaknesses:    The SIS system which stand for Shimano Ineffiecent Shifting is pitiful. Shocks/Springs need replacement. The whole drivetrain needs an overhaul to work properly. The non-sealed BB is laughable. The seatpost is way short, unless your a midget.

Bottom Line:
For the price its unbeatable, expecting you can afford to upgrade everything in the first year if not sooner. The bikes geometry is superb, and is on par with $2-3k dollar bikes. Once everything was upgraded on my D50, I couldnt imagine riding anything else. Ive riden the Cannondale Gemini 2000, 2004 version, which is equipped with Deore LX components, yet costs nearly $3k, hehe. The Gemini doesnt hold a candle to my D50 yet costs 4 times as much (after upgrades to the D50). Simply put, the Mgx D50 is a great bike, period..

Favorite Trail:   Big Bear

Purchased At:   Costco

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose bikes since I was 9 years old. So 14 years.

Bike Setup:   Mongoose MGX D50, Rock Shox Duke XC U-Turn, Progressive Suspension 5th Element 5-Way Coil Shock, Performance Forte HandleBars,Bar Ends,Pedals,Straps, XTR Components, MythoSXC Tires, Slimer Tubes, and virtually everything else excluding the frame, which is great.

Submitted by Ben a Downhiller from Phoenix, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2003

Strengths:    Theyre pieces of crap, so people just leave them outside, never locked up. Makes a great Free ride when your hoofing it.

Weaknesses:    Well, I'm not sure where to begin. From the plastic pedals, to the tin fork, this bike is pretty much a pile. I imagine If I was using em on any kind of hard trail, I could probably chew through a dozen or so in a single ride. Theyre fun to chuck over cliffs and throw into campfires. Please do yourself a favor and dont buy this unless you like to give walmart money for steaming piles of mongoose turds

Bottom Line:
If you like faceplanting, or showing off your new puke green poser-bike, buy this bike. A word to parents- If you want your children to ride safe and well, dont buy them this. Build up a bike, make it a project, or buy a good complete from a manufacturer who doesnt profit by using trickery aka faux components. It might look real nice in the store, but hows it gonna look when your child f's themselves up on it. If I could, I would award negative chilis, 1 chili is an overstatement.

Favorite Trail:   Los Burros

Purchased At:   various jackmoves

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose 30-700 full suspension heaps

Bike Setup:   crap frame, crap fork and rear shock, crappedals, crap shifters and cables, wouldnt trust them brakes

Submitted by Genevieve Trucky a Racer from hell

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2003

Strengths:    nothing

Weaknesses:    everything

Bottom Line:
DO not buy this @$$ sucking mother f---ing piece of $#!+.
You will pay for the sin that you have commited! This bike is heavy and hard to manuever, so you can not even place in a downhill or XC race. DONT BUY IT!

Favorite Trail:   A XC one

Purchased At:   a store

Similar Products Used:   $#!+

Bike Setup:   realy bad components, everything sucks

Submitted by Brian a Downhiller from Logan

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2002

Strengths:    Frame, cost, & versatility - it fits many rider types. Styling/look.

Weaknesses:    Componentry is a joke. Geared very low, you'll spin your legs when you exceed 27-30mph. Weak rims. Bouncy rear suspension - what do you expect from a spring though?

Bottom Line:
I liked the way the bike looked. Brushed aluminum with thick welds - it's definitely an eye catcher. Then after inspection of the compenentry I realized why the bike was selling for $200. I already had an extra set of STX componentry and figured that would solve my problems. It was a good bike for a long time, as i used it to commute around campus, and to and from work and so forth. This year I got back into mountain biking pretty hardcore. After a nasty wreck rendered my Giant hardtail useless I upgraded the pedals, suspension, bb & rings, spindle, and deraulers. Dumped some cash into the thing, and all i have to say is: damn. I couldn't believe the difference in the cycle. I have it peared down to about 35 lbs, which really makes for an enjoyable ride. The frame has taken a LOT of abuse, and still looks awesome. I tore the decals off because in my opinion it's not an MGX anymore. It's a frankencycle. Losing the decals adds anonimoty and makes the cycle look better. Mine is silver and black, no other colours. Looks slick as hell.

I highly recommend this cycle for any beginning to intermediate rider. Even experienced riders may find this cycle what they are looking for. Off the floor it's what you paid for - a $200 department store cycle. But it has a good frame to work with, and excellent styling.

The cycle takes abuse. On the stock suspension it fared well off some 3-5ft drops (suspension tends to bottom out on these) and a lot of rocky terrain, which i may add the stock suspension, surprisingly, eats up well.

Only other complaint not previously listed is the mountings for the water bottle might as well my attached to your back tire. I have a camelback so it's no problem for me, but those of you who tote water bottles may want to invest in the glory of a camelback.

All said and done the cycle is ok at first, after upgrading parts and taking the cycle into another class I very much enjoy it, I don't see many on the trails, but I consider that a good thing. What fun is it when you see 50 cycles just like yours swarming the mountain? I like being able to keep up with the enduros and at the end of the ride hear "What are you riding?" "Care if I ride it?" and then getting a "Not bad" or "I like it." I dunno. I'm also the kind of person that can't leave anything how i buy it. I have to modify everything. soo... *shrug* It's a good cycle and I really enjoy it.

- Brian -

P.S. Ratings are based of the cycle as you buy it.

Favorite Trail:   Anything that challenges me.

Purchased At:   CostCo

Similar Products Used:   My first department store cycle. Have owned various Schwinn cycles and a few Giants.

Bike Setup:   Shimano STX Rapid Fire Shifters (my pref.), Shimano PD-M324 pedals, Shimano Deore deraulers & cables, RockShox Psylo fork, Fox rear, RaceFace RaceRings & bb, Shimano 7speed spindle, Shimano STX V-brakes. Selle air-vent saddle, Bell gel grips. Specialized Bar-ends.

Submitted by Luis a Weekend Warrior from LA, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2002

Strengths:    Good Value. Tough. Looks like you paid more even if everyone on the trails know better! Really saves my back.
Great beginner bike.

Weaknesses:    Heavy. A little too bouncy. Gear range is really strange. Needs a few more Granny gears esp for us new guys

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike. I bought it for a couple of reasons:
I am cheap. I wanted a softer ride because my inactivity was affecting my back.

The full suspension really helped give a smooooth ride. My back is much better now. I used this bike mostly as a road bike but just recently have been going through trails with more experienced friends. My bike has thumb quick shifters, not twist shift, and I think it was the way to go. I love it and will keep it till it breaks.

I weigh 200lbs, 5'7" so the added weight of the bike doesn't help. Just call me The Great Granny Man! If I could make the bike drop 10 lbs, it would be the best bike for the bucks in the world. So I guess I have to settle with dropping 10 lbs off my arse instead.

If your a beginner looking at full suspension, this is a decent start. When this model came out it had cast parts for brake levers, cast u shaped brake gizmo on the forks, and decent derailer set. The next year model was painted red, but had cheapper front forks, smaller rear shock, and stamped steel all over the place. Stay away from stamped steel, especially in the brake area and the hub where the front fork / shocks are welded together.

I constantly ram into the curb from the street side to make sure the suspension forks are working well. Haven't had a problem yet.

Favorite Trail:   Trail Mix

Similar Products Used:   OLD RockHopper hard tail

Bike Setup:   Stock, including reflectors and junk. Cut seat post length about 1.5" so my wife could ride it without fear : )
Added gel cel seat cover to further protect my arse.

Submitted by Roger a Cross Country Rider from San Bernadino

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2002

Strengths:    sharp look, really strong frame, good brakes

Weaknesses:    cruddy shifters, front shock not adjustable, kinda heavy

Bottom Line:
Good bike for the price. This bike is great as a stock bike to begin riding on. However needs to be upgraded for more advanced riding. The frame is rock solid. I have been riding on it for about 2 years and have beat the living **** out of it. It has stood up to everything that I ride it through very well. I have ridden bikes twice as expensive as this that have broken down on stuff that this bike took no problem. I took a Giant through a trail that this bike did fine on and Snapped the frame. As for the rest of the bike I would upgrade a lot of the parts. I would replace the front shock with something better. Can't adjust the stock RST shock that Mongoose provided. Also I would replace the derailuers. If you have to change really quickly and have a lot of tension on the chain it will jump track with the stock deraileurs. As for the weight it hasn't been a problem once. I have kept up with $1,500 Specialized's with no problem. This bike is a really good deal for the price, but plan to do some upgrading.

Favorite Trail:   anything worth my time

Purchased At:   costco

Bike Setup:   DMN rear shock, RST front shock.

Submitted by Daniel Lauring a Weekend Warrior from Detroit

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2001

Strengths:    Cheap. Looks cool.

Weaknesses:    Where do I start? This was my second attempt at buying a department store pretender and use it on the trail. "Fool me once. Shame on you. Fool me twice. Shame on me."

This year I went out and bought a real mountain bike...a GT I-drive. Now I know how really bad the Mongoose was. I gave the Mongoose to the Salvation Army....so some good could come out of it.

The suspension is horrible. The rear has next to no rebound damping and is too soft (even tightened all the way down) for my 190 pound frame. The front was better but also lacked damping. The thing bounced up and down with each pedal stroke like a pogo stick.

The thin hard grips split after a year...good riddance.

The tires are pretenders like the rest of the bike. While they look the part they are too hard and don't hook up anything like the tires on my new bike.

The chain would come off or jam, two or three times a ride...right when I really needed the power.

The thing climbed like my Grandmother...probably the combination of crap tires and bouncy suspension. I never could get it to hook up well and it would just spin the back tire.

It weighed about 5lbs more than my I-drive and the I-drive isn't noted for being a light weight bike.

The rims are aluminum and look the part but again they lack what real mountain bike rims are made off. I bent mine out of round on paths that didn't give my buddies any problems.

The components are a mix of low end Shimano, Suntour and other unnamed crap. The grip shifter is not the best for trail riding. Getting it fine tuned was a real chore...never worked smoothly.

One frame size does not fit all. If you are 5' 10"'s or taller it is too small.

Bottom Line:
If you want a bike to just ride on the road and hard packed trails yet have it look like a high tech mountain bike, this is your baby. If you want to ride with your friends and keep up, look elsewhere. You are much better off buying a used bike or saving a little more and getting a cloesout hardtail.

Purchased At:   Costco

Similar Products Used:   Other crappy department store mountain bikes. My friends real mountain bikes. GT I-drive.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Chris Rice a Downhiller from Simi Valley, Ca, Ventura

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2001

Strengths:    Solid frame, good suspension, good tires

Weaknesses:    ALL the Components suck on this thing.

Bottom Line:
With normal use, I've broke both shifters, the freewheel, front deraileur, rear deraileur and the crank begs for mercy almost every time I ride. Brake levers are extremely sticky no matter how well I clean them. Handlebars slip with every jump no matter how tight they are.

Ive put all Shimano components on the thing and it rides like a champ now - AND Ive still spent less on the thing than my best friend did on his Cannondale.

Dont buy it if you're gonna be really rough. Get it if you're on a budget, take care of your equipment and ride kinda easy. Decent for the price.

Favorite Trail:   Ortega Hwy by Oceanside

Similar Products Used:   GT Timberline

Bike Setup:   D50i frame, rst 281r front shock, dnm dv-6 rear shock, td pro

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from Chico, California

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2001

Strengths:    Frame rocks!! Light and strong as hell.

Weaknesses:    All the giblets are crap. Good advice is to upgrade.

Bottom Line:
Great frame to build on. It will take the abuse of 4ft-6ft drops. Be sure to lose all the other parts!! You can have a nice CC bike if you build it up right.

Favorite Trail:   North Rim Baby!!

Purchased At:   Costco

Similar Products Used:   GT, Gary Fisher and the Specialized FSR.

Bike Setup:   d50i frame, Rock Shox Indy front, Fox Rear, Bontrager cranks, 27 spd shimano Deore and XT drivetrain. Kore stem, Ritchey Rizor bars, All Avid SD Brakes. Arraya rims/Coda Hubs.

Submitted by Miql Thompson a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, Arizona, Maricopa

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2001

Strengths:    Relative weight; Frame strength; tires; brakes; appearance; price; reliability

Weaknesses:    Seat; Shifting accuracy; rear hub (freewheel)

Bottom Line:
3rd similar mongoose. 1st aluminum or dual suspend I've tried. Loved it and it has served me well. Not a jumper but ride hard through desert and rocky terrain and it chews it up. Stock tires worked on the cruddy inclines no problems. Endured many wrecks with only minor scratches. Don't see many on the trails, but I hang with bikes 5 x the price. Nimble and obedient. Excellent up to intermediate riders on a budget. Candyapple red brushed aluminum get lots of attention. Looking to upgrade to Giant Warp D2 when I sell it. Happy Trails!

Favorite Trail:   Desert Classic