Mongoose Alta Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.25/5 (64 Reviews)

Alta SX

Submitted by duelster a Weekend Warrior from Fayetteville, NC US

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2011

Strengths:    Duribility
weight
stability

Weaknesses:    I havn't found any

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike in 1997 from Performance and still ride it to the day. I give it a good pounding everytime I take it out and have never been stranded or had a single issue with the bike. Although it is far from stock (rims and frame are all thats original), it is as tough as they come.

Favorite Trail:   Spring Lake Trail (Macomb, IL)

Purchased At:   Performance

Bike Setup:   Crow bar handlebar, Kane Creek neck and head set, all XTR brakes and derailer system

Submitted by Mr Les Wolgamuth a Weekend Warrior from York, PA . USA

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2006

Strengths:    I have been riding this bike for 10 years now and still going strong.Needed to weld the front fork tube due to a little to much mountain riding down hill and hit a boulder and go head over hill. No wonder it broke, and yes it hurt! Other than that,2 tubes and 2 tires 4 sets of brakes.1 chain. best 150.00 I ever spent and it is a sx just tune ups every year and cleaning of the bearings and chain, still have the original cables.Original Mongoose Rocks, Murry bought them out. So hang on to your Goose's You cannot buy them no more!

Weaknesses:    None with mine.Wish it would have a rear shock,but o well cannot have everythig

Bottom Line:
I have allways been hard on bikes, and with this one you push it to far it will break. But now with moderate to light extreme riding when needed it is the best bike that I have had. Now with the arrival of disc brakes makes my eyes wonder, But they will figure a way to convert the old brake sytems to the new ones.

Favorite Trail:   york county trails/rail trail

Purchased At:   consignment shop

Bike Setup:   after the mountain accident I gave that up and use it on trails. Original sx with Quadra 21R Rock shock,original STX rc derailer and front and rear brake system Shimano Altos SLR BR CT90-M and accesories for riding

Submitted by César Villa a Cross Country Rider from Chihuahua, Chih, México

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2005

Strengths:    -Look
-Durability
-Light suspension fork
-Geometry

Weaknesses:    -Shimano Acera, Altus
-Simple fork
-Tha paint scratches very easyli

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike when I was getting "serious" into racing. Well, the bike had a killer look and was in range for a 16 yr old kid. At first rides, i thought it would be nice to change some (almost every) components, but as in relationships you fall in love with every part of the significant one, so years go by and when you look back you have spent 9 years racing, commuting, adventuring, training -with the bike obviously-.

Right now the parts that would be nice to replace, are needed to replace. And the curve $/benefit has no nice "slop" anymore. I hope I can find a nice shelter for her to stay her final years.

Was the best bike to start (and stay) with.

Favorite Trail:   fast singletrack

Purchased At:   a friend

Similar Products Used:   xc bikes borrowed from mates

Bike Setup:   Changed Bontrager saddle, xt brakes and brk/shift levers, 0ª stem, Ritchey pedals everything else is stock.

Submitted by peter mitchell a Weekend Warrior from geelong vic. Aust

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2004

Strengths:    strong reliable

Weaknesses:    fiddly cleaning spots

Bottom Line:
my most consistant favourite bike

Favorite Trail:   life

Purchased At:   a mate

Similar Products Used:   many

Bike Setup:   urban transport

Submitted by Zak Winter a Weekend Warrior from Virginia Beach

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2002

Strengths:    Frame is quite tasty, Lovely bike to build on, a true "beater," This bike can take the worst you can dish out.

Weaknesses:    Components are hoopty.........Acera/Atlus

Bottom Line:
The Alta is sturdy bike it can take the worst the East Coast "Technicals" can dish out on it. The frame is straight up money, it is hearty and provides a very stout ride. Upgrade a few components and you have yourself a very capable hardtail. This bike is a lot of fun for someone looking for a backup or just wants a bike they can abuse and keep their premier ride for special occasions. Tough Tough Tough; well worth a couple hundred bones if you don't mind upgrading the bootleg Shimano Acera components. A very fun bike especially on technical terrain and downhills

Favorite Trail:   Rockbridge

Similar Products Used:   TREK 4900/Cannondale F800/Fisher Tassajara/Marin Bear Valley

Bike Setup:   Rock Shock Judy, Bontrager, WTB Saddle, Shimano Acera Drive Train

Submitted by Justin a Cross Country Rider from Miami, FL

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2002

Strengths:    -durabiility
-strength
-solid feel
-multi-purpose
-light
-comfortable

Weaknesses:    -clearcoat scratches

Bottom Line:
This bike has lasted me for over 5 years of hard XC riding from the long Oregon epic rides to the super-technical singletracks of Florida! Granted I have upgraded a few things, this bike has never failed me ... I can only say great things about her. This bike has taken a beating, and has the scars to prove it - but never stopped pedaling. I am writing this review for the Alta SX to give her the credit she deserves, as I will be building a Sugar 1 this week to take her place in the lineup.

Favorite Trail:   Markham, Oleta

-Oury Grips
-Icon clipless pedals

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Cadiz, Kentucky, United States

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2002

Strengths:    I bought the frame, bars and shifters off a friend tight for cash at 30 bucks. the frame is extra stout and i am racing XC with it this season

Weaknesses:    The Clearcoat...

Bottom Line:
If you are a Weekend Warrior, Commuter, Light Freerider, or an all out XC racer, this bike can be set up any way you want it to be. My frame is 4-5 years old, ive been riding it for a few months, and i know im going to be riding it for a long time to come. DEFINATELY WORTH YOUR MONEY. No Nonsense, Just a sweet ride.

Favorite Trail:   North/South Trail

Purchased At:   A Friend

Similar Products Used:   Giant Rincon, Wal-Mart Specials,

Bike Setup:   Mozo ML-30 fork, XT Front and Rear Derailleurs, suspension seat post, Specialized Headset, Zoom stem, Specialized flames saddle, the works!

Submitted by dave hindley a Racer from billings mt usa

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2002

Strengths:    well this is the first bike I had for a year and I havent snapped te frame yet every other brand I have especally dimondback.

Bottom Line:
Ive had a lot of fun with this bike it is the only bike to hold up to what I do on and of road. On road I grind jump bunnyhop over benches, garbage cans and fire hydrents. When I am offroad my friends built about 20 jumps and none of them are smaller then 5feet high and there workin on one now that is about 9-10 feet and a 45 foot ga. I know that I will hit it fiest because I am the only one that is crazy enough to without seein if it is even possible but most of the time it is. this mongoose is the best and strongest bike I have ever owned.

Favorite Trail:   street

Purchased At:   a place

Similar Products Used:   shwinn powerglide, dimondback, harro, specialized fat boy

Bike Setup:   mongoose hoop d gt handle bars gt forks front and rear canalever breaks sx 3pc crank gyro2 gt mag rims front and rear pegs

Submitted by Chris Johnson a Cross Country Rider from Sheffield

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2000

Strengths:    I have owned my Alta for nearly three years and hav't found one fault yet, the frame is superb, it rides well, it is comfortable and very light

Bottom Line:
I love my Alta, I have owned quite a few bikes but have been very impressed with this one, it rides very well, is very light and the colour makes it look a million dollars. I have recently upgraded mine, I wouldn't have done this unless I thought it was worth it, and that frame is. I have owned it for nearly three years, I ride it regulary, well not at the moment cos i have a broken arm. But I ride daily in some local woods, and the bike is all I need, it hadnles brilliantly, the light frames has made it good for climbs and trials and good quality components keep the maintenance to a minium

Favorite Trail:   Moss Valley

Similar Products Used:   GT LTS 2000

Bike Setup:   I have upgraded it and now have, RST Mozo Pro front sus,

Submitted by Nick a Downhiller from Calgary

Date Reviewed: November 12, 1999

Strengths:
Good solid feel, holds tight.

Weaknesses:
Clearcoat damaged easily.

Bottom Line:
I have owned my Alta SX for about a year now and I tell you, I've never had a bike that holds those sharp corners like this one. Its light frame and comfortable design make this a real masterpiece. I usually get a new bike every 6 months, but this one is a real keeper and sure to be in the fleet for time to come.

Alpine Mist

1 Year

Raliegh Tarantula TX
Gary Fischer Joshua FX

Mongoose Alta SX High polish clearcoat finish, Rock Shox Judy SL, Hanz / Franz Front and rear downhill tires.

Submitted by chris kerry a Weekend Warrior from nottingham

Date Reviewed: July 20, 1999

Strengths:
a fast and fun bike that can be used for trails

Weaknesses:
how the paintwork can be damaged so easily

Bottom Line:
mongoose bikes are ultimatley the best in mountain bikes

3 months

mongoose supergoose bmx

answer manitou x-vert triple clamps (orange)

Submitted by Martin a weekend warrior from Hyannis, MA

Date Reviewed: March 1, 1999

Bottom Line:

I bought my Alta SX from a friend for $250. The bike is in very good condition and was hadrly ever used off road. The components are OK except for the Acera canti brakes which I had to upgrade to DiaComp 937 Vbrakes, I got them for $25 the complete set including levers and cables from supergo.com. The difference is amazing, it's like night and day. The aluminium frame is definitely the best part of the package, it's very rigid and light and the weldings are very nice. Just the frame is worth the $250 I paid for the bike. Overall, I love my Mongoose and for the money I wouldn't be able to get better.

Submitted by Mrty Melton a racer from Ca

Date Reviewed: February 3, 1999

Bottom Line:

i love my Mongoose because i can go on just about anthing mud, dirt, blacktop, jumps it is good on jumps it lands so smooth. it gos so fast and front and back pegs its so cool i love it its GREAT!!!

Submitted by Patricia a weekend warrior from vt

Date Reviewed: December 25, 1998

Bottom Line:

I take my bike on old logging roads and it always surprizes me were it can go. I makes a good transition from muddy trails to paved roads. I love my mongoose alta SX!!!!!!!!!!!!

Submitted by Matt Keamy a weekend warrior from Andover, MA

Date Reviewed: October 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

I can't believe that I bought this bike for $225. used. I feel like I got the deal of a lifetime. The only person cheaper than me is my brother, and even he likes it. It is very light and gives a more than average comfortable ride. It is perfect for around the town or light trail riding.

Fezzari Alta Peak at Mammoth Mtn Bike Park

Is a Fezzari Alta Peak with platform pedals suitable for Mammoth Bike park? Planning on going there this summer, never been.Read More »