Miyata Elevation Bike 1998 or Older

4.45/5 (11 Reviews)

Miyata Elevation

Submitted by Erik

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2012

Strengths:    Strong, built like a brick sh!thouse...

Weaknesses:    Really heavy

Bottom Line:
Had my elevation 500 since early 90's... have had other bikes but continue to hold on to this one. Came with RocShox (1.5" float max) The paintjob is blueberry swirl, and it's pretty awesome even by todays standards. My brother had the elevation 400, was a significant upgrade to the 500.

Submitted by hammertime a Cross Country Rider from Brockville On. Canada

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2008

Strengths:    almost bombproof!!! Had to do some welding around the seat tube but other than that the elevation 500 is still going strong. Upgraded all components over the years and had the bike down to 22.7 pounds ready to race. Climbs and handles singltrack great,Point and go on the downhills.

Weaknesses:    huh ?????

Bottom Line:
hard to beat a hardtail! great bike triple butted splined cro-mo frame, love riding this bike hopefully a few more years left in it!!!

Favorite Trail:   singletrack

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Gary fisher sugar 2, Specialized stumpjumper, Norco sundowner

Bike Setup:   mavic ceramic rims w/xt hubs, xtr r.d. grip shift w/gore cables, 7 sp. cass. drilled out. easton monkey lite bar, avid ti v brakes, manitou fs ti 80 mm fork flite saddle

Submitted by Tat a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, ON

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2006

Strengths:    - a solid ride
- durable
- no front shocks! :-)

Weaknesses:    This is Miyata Elevation 200, one of the lower bikes of the line, I presume, so the components... could've been better, shall we say. The bike still has its original shifters, and the right one is toast for all I can tell, so I'm stuck with a three-speed until I decide to replace the shifter.

The frame could also be a bit lighter. But it's not anywhere near the heaviest bikes I've owned. The absence of the front shocks helps keep the overall bike weight down.

Factory saddle is very uncomfortable. Especially for females, I think. Although the previous owner of the bike was a lady, and didn't seem to mind the seat at all.

Bottom Line:
You know the thing I love about this bike the most? It has no front suspension (that is, it's lighter and tougher than it would've been otherwise). You see, I am not actually a mountain biker: I am a tourer and a commuter, so I ride on pavement most of the time. Unfortunately, these days you can't get an mtb without front shocks, it seems - and hybrids or roadies will be considerably more expensive for the same sort of quality, I find - so I counted myself lucky when I was offered this little bugger, at a bargain rate too. I use it for various city trips now, and it absolutely does the job.

It's a pity you can't get Miyata in this part of the world anymore.

Purchased At:   previous owner

Similar Products Used:   Miele Saturn, K-mart-type junk, hybrid bikes (Trek 7500 FX, Marin San Anselmo)

Bike Setup:   Standard factory set-up for all I know, except I put in a new seat. The original one just hurt my sitting parts so badly! Other than that I haven't changed anything in the bike since getting it from the previous owner; I don't know whether she tinkered with the setup or not.

Submitted by Tom A a Weekend Warrior from Toronto

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2004

Strengths:    great light frame, decent components for the price level

Weaknesses:    no front shocks

Bottom Line:
This bike kicks butt.....I bought it in 1996 as my first bike out of univeristy.....still riding it. I've put this bike through hell....riding hard down ski hills, many single track trails, cross country and riding around town.....never had a problem with any components or frame. All of my friends that bought different bikes at the same time have since bought new bikes since and I am still riding this one. I just bought a new Specialized Stumpjumper FSR because it was time to finally buy a new bike. But I only have the greatest praise to give to the Miyata elevation 300....one of the best purchases of my life.

Favorite Trail:   Don Valley

Purchased At:   spinning wheels

Bike Setup:   factory set up with additions of Rock Shox quad 21 and shimano m515 clipless pedals and specialized body geometry seat

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider from Toronto

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2003

Strengths:    -SOLID
-will still be around, and working fine after you've thrown everything you have at it
-rode it hard for nearly 10 years ... rain, snow, mud, dirt, rocks, streams, stairs ... and all kinds of other things

Weaknesses:    -heavy
-technology is now out of date
-can't really be compared to my new Rocky, but a great bike

Bottom Line:
I have absolutly abused this bike and ridden it in conditions is was never made for and yet, can not complain about the performance or durability of the bike. I bought it in high school, after my first job and rode it for about 10 years, through all conditions the Canadian wilderness could throw at it (year round). Now that I can afford to get a new bike, I finally did ... and absolutly love the F/S ride, but this bike still has a lot of miles left ahead of it. Can't wait for Toronto to thaw out and get back on the bikes on a regular basis.

Favorite Trail:   any with dirt

Purchased At:   Petries in Thunder Bay

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Instinct (new ride)

Bike Setup:   Elevation 300 ... originally spec with STX derailer, Alivio most everything else ... had to replace the rear derailer ... so banged up, it could no longer be tuned ... put on a used XT ... am now transitioning it to a commuter bike (slicks, fenders, etc ... ) , should be fun ... and fast

Submitted by TOM ORLANDO a Weekend Warrior from BRONX, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2001

Strengths:    VERY STRONG AND FRAME STILL HOLDING AFTER 10 YEARS AND STILL LOOKS GOOD.

Weaknesses:    NONE TO TALK ABOUT EXCEPT THAT IT IS A LITTLE HEAVIER THEN MY 98' FUJI.

Bottom Line:
IT WAS AND STILL IS (WITH A FEW UPGRADES) A GREAT BIKE. I JUST FIGURED IT WAS TIME TO BUY A NEW AFTER 10 YEARS.

Purchased At:   CASTLE HILL BIKE & FITNESS CENTER

Bike Setup:   ADDED NEW: KNOBIE TIRES, V-BRAKES AND SHIMANO BRAKE/GEAR LEVER COMBO. I MIGHT ADD ON NEW FRONT AND REAR DERAILEURS.

Submitted by gramps from Sacto, CA, US

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2001

Strengths:    Built like an Army tank.

Weaknesses:    Rides like an Army tank.

Bottom Line:
This is actually a Valentine to my 1998 Miyata Shredder, which turns 13 years old this month. Suspension? Ha! (What are "rock shocks" anyhow, you young whippersnappers.) This is one of the original, old-timer mountain bikes and weighs at least 30 lbs. before you bolt on the rear rack, etc. I did recently get a great deal on some slightly-used Firestone SUV tires, which fit the steel rims perfectly. This is a honey of a bike. The paint is nearly perfect, only a small nick here and there. Not a squeak or a squeal in the CRO-MO frame or any of the components. I figure we'll turn 50,000 miles this month -- and the bike's got a bit on the odometer, too. I got it on a closeout deal and I've never seen another one on the trail or road. How do you rate a bike that's priceless?

Purchased At:   defunct bike shop

Similar Products Used:   This is my one and only.

Bike Setup:   All standard Shimano LX 500 components except for seatpost, which was recently changed out to one of those new-fangled spring-loaded jobbers. (It was either that or replace my hip
joint.)

Submitted by Hilmar a Weekend Warrior from Norway

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2001

Strengths:    This is a bike who is strong, and who does exactly what you want it to do. The bike is hard working and climbs like a tank..

Weaknesses:    It is rather heavy.. but the cr-mo frame makes it strong.

Bottom Line:
Best bike ever.
Rather exspensive when i bought it here in Norway some years ago.. 12.000 NOK.

Bike Setup:   Shimano XT- and Rock Shock suspen. Rock ring.. and a little red bottleholder :)

Submitted by Bob Smith a Cross Country Rider from Kingston,NH

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2000

Strengths:    Bomb proof, handles very nicely. Climbs well. Haven't had to
buy a bike in 8 years. Just feels right.

Weaknesses:    Heavy. Had to replace the wheelsets, they couldn't handle what the bike can. Couldn't buy another one if I wanted to.

Bottom Line:
Im not retro, just cheap. My motto has been "if its not broke, don't fix it". I will ride this until the frame breaks, or the derailler hanger snaps off. For the amount of abuse this bike has taken, I have to rate it a 5.

Favorite Trail:   Patchogue State Forrest

Similar Products Used:   Fuji Something, can't remember it has been so long.

Bike Setup:   Ritchey clipless pedals, Mavic rims with LX hubs, Rock Shox Indy.

Submitted by spider rider a Cross-Country Rider from oregon

Date Reviewed: December 14, 1999

Strengths:
smoothhandling , traditional hardtail, bullet proof, and you get what you pay for.

Weaknesses:
not sold in the US any more

Bottom Line:
This bike is 25lbs before you put a shock on, you will never break it. Handles with cat like reflex.I rode mine since 1992 and with out hesitation it a classic frame ment to ride hard.Any bike on its second ove sea tour to Okinawa is got to be the heat.

spider loop

more than 3 years

C dale M500, Stump jumper, Gaint, raliegh, mantis

With or with out front fork its great, It come with XT at the Elevation 5000 and goes up from there. Manatou 2,3 and sr.

Submitted by tank a Weekend Warrior from houston, tx

Date Reviewed: April 1, 1999

Strengths:
it is a tank, I've flipped on it, gone down stairs, etc. and it won't break

Weaknesses:
it is a tank. It's so heavy

Bottom Line:
I wish they still sold Miyatas in the US. I bought this bike my first year in college on sale. At the time, cro-mo was really cutting edge and bikes with a front shock were in the $700 range. It's lasted me forever, and the only things I've changed on it are my handlebars (when I flipped and they bent), the tires, and brake pads. It's pretty much an indestructible bike with no really great qualities except it's not too high maintenance and the fact that's it really is bombproof. It weighs 30+lbs and has lasted forever. Plus, nobody wants to steal it. All in all, it's pretty decent.

more than 3 years

trek 800

rigid, no shock

Lower Heart Rate at Elevation

Counter intuitive to everything I read my heart rate is lower at elevation and I can't get it elevated. At home I can run 165-175 for extended periods of time and my max HR is 182. I am in Mammoth right now and cannot get over 140. Had a similar experience in Winter Park last month as well. Any thou ... Read More »

Rose to Toads elevation profile

For those doing Rose to Toads here is the elevation profile: :DRead More »

Lower elevation trails in CB

Hi folks, I'm bringing a couple sea-leveler's out to CB for a couple days of riding. They won't have much acclimation time before riding, so I was hoping to keep the riding on day one at a lower elevation. Planning to ride 401 on day 2, so I'm hoping to find something equally as epic but lower in ... Read More »

Super stoked on Elevation Bike Co. - new bike shop in SF

I feel compelled to give a huge shout-out to a new bike shop I have discovered in SF called Elevation Bike Co. After years of searching, I have finally found by far the best LBS. They are so great I am almost hesitant to give them such props for fear that they might get too busy!;) I recently cu ... Read More »

How to quickly acclimate to drastic elevation change for race start

Looked around for answers, figured there would be some solid advice from this group... For the past seven years I've lived (and MTB'd) in Germany. I train regularly and stick to a Joe Friel plan for cyclists over 50 -- riding 450 hrs per year. My in-laws live in Montana (USA), so we spend our ... Read More »