Merida Dominator Bike 1998 or Older

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)

Merida Dominator

Submitted by Lennart Karlsson a Cross Country Rider from Sweden

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2001

Strengths:    My second review on the same bike, it's because I like it very much and have done a bit of modifications to remove the week parts. Since last review I'de installed Time pedals and Manitou Mars C front fork. With these mods there simply is no week parts and that is the strength. I still weigh 240 lbs and not one single problem during three years of weekly usage.

Weaknesses:    After the new fork have been installed, NONE.

Bottom Line:
Very good value for money, if I havent beaten the s-it out of it in three uears, I can hardly see anyone else do it, at least anyone lighter.

Favorite Trail:   Motions-Center Hallstahammar

Purchased At:   Roines Motor & Cycle Hallstahammar

Similar Products Used:   Had a Carbon Miyata before, does not compare.

Bike Setup:   Front, Manitou Mars C. Standard Ritchey wheels, LX duralier
Time attac pedals, more or less standard all over

Submitted by lennart Karlsson a Cross Country Rider from Hallstahammar, Sweden

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2000

Strengths:    Good price with regard to quality level. Nice looks. Very strong overall, my weight is 240 lbs and I havent had one single problem.

Weaknesses:    Front chock is a little beow the standards for the rest of the bike. The spots that Merida have choosen for putting the water botles on is the absolut worse I,ve ever come across.

Bottom Line:
Like I said, I weight 240 lbs and I´m not particulary "kind" to my bike but part from punktures I have not had one single problem. The bike is really nice to operate and handles real good and is for it´s price real low-weight. I can recommend it.

Favorite Trail:   Motionscentrum Hallstahammar

Similar Products Used:   This is my second MTB and the one before was a hard tail Carbon Miata wich doesn´t compare really.

Bike Setup:   LX duraliers tectro V-brakes, and I replaced the chain to Sachs M22 wich is a matter of taste more than anything else I suppose.Othervise it´s original straight through.

Submitted by Thommo a Weekend Warrior from Perth, Australia

Date Reviewed: December 16, 1999

Looks, some good name gear.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for bashing around from what I tried.
Could anyone eles who owns or has tried this bike please write something on it, i need to know what it's like and if this brand is any good.

tested or demo'ed only