McMahon BOOM SHAKA Bike 1998 or Older

BOOM SHAKA

Submitted by ingram a Weekend Warrior from Calgary, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2001

Strengths:    There are none

Weaknesses:    See below

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike used last year through MTBR. Mcmahon went out of business in 1998 I think. I heard it was political but I now suspect that it has more to do with a lack of quality. My Bike was a B.U.F.F (1997 vintage). I had the 6 inch travel plates and a fully rebuilt shock with a 550 lb spring. It was just starting to run nicely when the seat tube completely snapped off without warning. a really nasty break right along the weld between the seat tubes and the top tube. Anyway I dumped a lot of money into this bike and now I completely screwed.
As a side note mt friend has a 1998 Boomshaka and his chainstay also snapped. He got it re-welded and now it snapped again. I am going to give him my rear triangle so hopfully he can keep riding. He also had the McMahon triple clamp forks on his bike and they were utter garbage. no travel, heavy, useless. the bike shop laughed when he brought them in for service.
In my opinion all McMahon products are complete garbage and you should never ever spend a single cent on them.

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   SC Heckler, Kona King Kikapu

Bike Setup:   psylo xc, RF turbines, full XTR

Submitted by ROB a weekend warrior from SB,CA

Date Reviewed: August 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

I PURCHASED A MCMAHON BOOM SHAKA AND I THINK THAT THIS WAS THE BEST CHOICE I HAVE MADE YET. I HAVE TRIED A SAN ANDREAS(MONOCOQUE IS THE WORST) WHICH WORKED WELL UNTIL A 200LB. FRIEND TRIED TO RIDE IT. I RODE SPECIALIZED FSR AND AIM WHICH BOTH HAVE A LOT OF PLAY. I LIKED MY GT UNTIL I CRACKED THE CARBON AND DECIDED ALUM. WAS THE ANSWER BECAUSE I CAN'T AFFORD A BOW TI. WHO KNOWS IF I EVERY BUY FROM A DIFFERENT MANUFACTURER IT WILL ONLY BE TO TRY TI.