Marin Team FRS Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.42/5 (19 Reviews)

Team FRS Bike

Submitted by roothooked a Downhiller from windsor, ontario, canada

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2008

Strengths:    great up hill, and just as good going downhill..

Weaknesses:    needs more travel on front/rear

Bottom Line:
it still is today a great bike when upgraded.. :D

Favorite Trail:   blue mountain

Purchased At:   courtesy bicycle

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from Falkirk

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2003

Strengths:    Light for a DH, makes a good freeride, very durable

Weaknesses:    Poor components on this bike

Bottom Line:
This bike was bought off of ebay as a freeride with a triple chain. It was good as a XC, bit heavy as you'd expect but as a dual freeride/downhill it was fantastic! It's a good allround bike, but I'd def go for an upgrade on the suspension for sure, and brakes, but you couldn't go wrong with the frame, or rest of the bike. Solid all round bike. For the price I paid off ebay, even with the not quite stellar compos I'd say it was a bargain!!

Favorite Trail:   Any North Shore

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Haro X3

Bike Setup:   RST Hi 5, Shockworks rear shock, Mavic 321 disc rims, rst mech discs

Submitted by 200 pounder a Cross-Country Rider from Foster City, CA

Date Reviewed: November 19, 1999

Strengths:
Built like a tank

Weaknesses:
Weighs like a tank
Noleen rear shock is heavy.
Marin stock brakes suck.
Head set sucks

Bottom Line:
A great bike, but a little heavy. 20T stock granny makes it ok for climbing. Frame is indestrucible. It is a Marin speced version of the Manitou FRS and nearly identical as it was made by Manitou. I have pounded this bike for over 2000 miles in 4 years (not my only bike) in Moab, Downieville, Tahoe, Bay Area and So. Cal.and only once have I had to carry it out. Blame that one on that crappy headset. I suggest upgrading parts as you need them. I recently blew the seals on the stock Noleen. Factory rebuilt it for $70.00 and they would not deal with me directly. They make you go through a shop. This, and the fact that the shock weighs about a pound has me searching for a replacement. Problem is that this is a one-of-a-kind shock due to a funky bushing diameter. Cane Creek has a replacement A-10 listed but they've never built one and they say it's built to fit the Nail FRS, not the Team FRS. Marin says its the same bike. $189 will prove them right or wrong. Stock head set loosens up on every ride. Chris King on the way. Replaced brakes w/ XTR V's. New WTB ti saddle. Front crank next to go, probally Race Face. Also going to replace wheel set w/ lighter Chris King/Mavic. All these changes should get the bikes weight down to 26-26 lbs. One last thing, Poison Spider Bikes of Moab used the Team FRS as one of it's rental FS bikes. The mechanic that I spoke to said that this bike far and away held up better than any other rental FS bike that he had seen in his 10 years of working there. Ask yourself this, if you were riding a rental bike in Moab, how would you treat the bike?

All of Skeggs Point

Rock Shox Judy
Noleen Stock on the back

Submitted by Lauren a Racer from Orlando

Date Reviewed: April 28, 1999

Strengths:
Overbuilt frame - Tough and stable

Weaknesses:
Overbuilt frame - Heavy

Bottom Line:
I rode this bike in Tsali North Carolina. Climbing was pretty tough but the down hills
....were amazing! This bike is as supple as my old LTS! I hammered it down the
Thompson Loop and I think lesser bikes' would have exploded!If you can get one of these bikes, upgrade it to 99 standard and you'll be
happy since there are few bikes built today that are this tough.

China Camp in Marin

6 months

GT LTS, GT RTS

98 Judy XL with XT

Submitted by Gav a cross-country rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: February 28, 1999

Bottom Line:

I'm also a downhiller. I work in a bike shop and have just bought myself a B17. The travel is amazing on this beast. Cross-country and downhill it just can't be beaten. 10 out of 10.

Submitted by Simon Lambourne a downhiller from England

Date Reviewed: December 30, 1998

Bottom Line:

I`ve had my FRS DH now since March 98 and i still think they kick butt. But i did come across i picture of the 99 FRS DH in MBUK and it looks like its going to be one of the best DH bikes of 99. I was planning on buying a B-17 and building it up to its best, but i thought forget it buy a Team DH!

Submitted by Mark Brown a downhiller from Britain

Date Reviewed: December 7, 1998

Bottom Line:

I am just about to purchase a new b17 as i think they are the best bike undre the sun for that price. Riding it is like a good night out with a hot babe ( you know what i mean) . I at the moment have a lavadome and would give it up anyday

Submitted by sergio agramonte a weekend warrior from Florida

Date Reviewed: October 19, 1998

Bottom Line:

Hi I test rode a B17 the rear suspension is awesome I never rode 6 suspension before. It eats the big hits pretty good and the ride feels firm, a lot like my schwinn s[9six]10 but with a lot more suspencion and been ready for disk breake instalation is a nice touc the only thing I would change is the frame color I dont like white the red is ok. Needless to say I want one now. Hey anybody want to buy a schwinn s[9six]10?

Submitted by richard gregory a downhiller from England

Date Reviewed: September 3, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have just seen the new Marin Bikes for 99 in a magazine and I think they look realy cool, when can we see them on your Web Page. I have see and test riden the B-17 and if the rest of the FRS bikes or the same you have out done your selves keep up the good work. What is the Web Page address to see the Marin bikes. :-))

Submitted by Andy from downhiller

Date Reviewed: July 29, 1998

Bottom Line:

Your new FRSandDH is exeptional... I tried it out at the Mountain Bike store in my area... although it rode like a dream... i couldnt but it... even though it has a lower price tag compared to Specialized... I enjoyed this bike and I hope to see some new ones for 99... Oh and here is a tip... try making a twin rear shock bike... I know it sounds crazy but you'll get twice the rear clearence... and if you use Fox shocks you'll get about 8.5 rear wheel travle inches.. now c'mon that sounds really good... but i can see why you'd be aprechencouse about it.. since there's hardly enough room to even fit one on there... thanks again,
Andy

Submitted by DANIEL KELLY a downhiller from BRITAIN

Date Reviewed: June 11, 1998

Bottom Line:

I HAVE JUST BOUGHT A TEAM D.H FRAME SET 98 IT ROCKS THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT I HAD TO PUT MY 2.5 INCH TRAVEL Z3'S ON IT BUMMER BUT IT REALLY WORKS IT OUT CLIMBS HARD TAILS AND IT TAKES EVERY BUMP THAT HITS IT,THE BIKEIS SMOOTH AND I CAN'T WAIT FOR MY ZZYZX'S THEY SHOULD WORK WELL TOGETHER

Submitted by Keith Wright a weekend warrior from England

Date Reviewed: April 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

Well I have just traded my TEAM FRS in on a B-17 .....I was very impressed with my FRS so much so that if i had not got the deal i wanted i would still been pleased to keep it.....but looking at what i use the bikes for which is for real fun....the B-17. is just the tool.....!!!!!!

Submitted by Steve Howley a downhiller from Engerlund

Date Reviewed: December 8, 1997

Bottom Line:

I just test rode a B17, it was way cool. Now i'm gonna buy one.

Submitted by J. Webb a weekend warrior from indpls in

Date Reviewed: November 9, 1997

Bottom Line:

I like this bike a lot. The components were not the best,the gripshifts had to go. I've added rapid fires and soon to add v-brakes. I commute to work year round and its a pleasure to have so much fun to and from work.

Submitted by Erik Frank a weekend warrior from Fort Worth, TX

Date Reviewed: June 24, 1997

Bottom Line:

I'm lucky enough to own one of the original TEAM MARIN handmade Cro-Mo bikes. The craftsmanship on the frame of this bike is second to none. I personally learned how to TIG weld by using this particular frame as an example. The welds are simply beautiful. The bike is equipped with an excellent XTR-XT component mix. It has a titanium RockShox XL front fork, and the overall weight is 23.5 lbs. Steering is very quick and responsive, due to the fact that this frame geometry has a very aggressive caster angle (also called head angle). The bike is actually twitchy and unstable at very low speeds, but quite nimble and responsive once the mph begins to build. All in all an awesome bike!