Marin Mountvision 98 Bike 1998 or Older

4.76/5 (25 Reviews)

Marin Mountvision 98

Submitted by Adam a Weekend Warrior from Manchester, UK

Date Reviewed: November 8, 1999

Strengths:
Great suspension, very smooth. Light, strong, stable.

Weaknesses:
Cheap rear Shockworks shock. Crap seatpost Q/R.

Bottom Line:
Top bike especially the way I have set it up. It now has 4 f+r of travel. Top jump bike as it lands beautifully. Doesn't bob as it is a brill design. With long travel forks and a short stem and wide bars, I can almost keep up with my mate on his 98 Team DH with 6.5 of travel!!!
Sprints well, but now saving up for a 2000 Wildcat.

GT LTS, TREK Y's

Bontrager Seat
Hope Biggun's

Submitted by Andrew Edkins a Weekend Warrior from London, UK

Date Reviewed: August 24, 1999

Strengths:
frame geometry, balance, lack of bobbing and fun factor

Weaknesses:
White Industries chrankset, Q/R seat clamp, squeal from the XT front v brakes, adjusting the front mech

Bottom Line:
Thought long and hard about buying the Mount Vision - and glad I did! Due to knee problems haven't really used the bike until this year - but what a year. Took it Chamonixb (France) (with MBMB) seriously abused it and it took it all. Am now racing on it (xc) and the change-up pins on the chain rings have sheared (I didn't like the White Industries chain-set anyway). Will fit a Middleburn crankset and am thinking of upgrading to the '99 swingarm to save some weight and let me put a bigger outer ring on. All in all excellent bike, but some annoying little faults.

Trosley (Kent)

GT, Specialized

1997 Mount Vision,original Fox vanilla coil over shock /Manitou fs

Submitted by Andy Barnes a Cross-Country Rider from Aberdeen, Scotland

Date Reviewed: May 24, 1999

Strengths:
Weight and Frame geometry

Weaknesses:
Some nasty cheap weak links in the original setup (headset, shorkworks shock, VP pedals).

Bottom Line:
I have now just passed the three thousand mile mark on my 98 Mount Vision, so its time for an update on how its going (last review July 98). Well having replaced those shitty VP pedals and cheap headset things were looking up - big mileage and lots of fun, perfect frame geometry, perfect weight. Unfortunately the original shockworks coil/oil shock continually busted, even after fitting a beefier progressive spring. It also didn't like the cold, even with the damping cranked fully up it bounced all over the place. The shock blew for the fifth time earlier this month so I swore a lot and put my hand in my pocket yet again and upgraded to a Fox Vanilla Float Air shock, and Oh what a difference, plush, doesn't bounce when you pedal hard, responds to big and wee knocks. In fact you hardly know its there, apart from something is smoothing out the bumps, just the way it should be. Overall, I love the bike, but Marin should spec the thing properly when they sell it instead of kitting it out with cheap shite in critical areas, hence only four chillies.

Glen Dye

1 Year

Mt Vision 98, XTR crankset, Time Atacs, Chris King nothreadset, Fox vanilla Float

Submitted by T. Fisher a Weekend Warrior from Spangdahlem, Germany

Date Reviewed: May 20, 1999

Strengths:
Full XT group (almost)
light weight frame
excellent f/r shocks

Weaknesses:
Quick-release seat clamp
VP-103 clipless pedals

Bottom Line:
Reading all these reviews about the Marin Mount Vision got my adrenaline pumping, so I just had to say a few things about mine. I bought a '96 Mount Vision while I was in Phoenix, Arizona so I've had quite a bit of riding experience over a wide variety of terrains. From the extremely rocky downhills of the southwest, to the slickrock to Moab, and now to the muddy forest trails of Germany. This is my first full suspension bike and probably the last one I will ever need to buy. The bike handles superbly in every aspect: climbing, XC, downhill, endurance, jumps, you name it. The XT component group (except for the front hub and the crank, which are White Industries) look sharp and out perform almost anything on the market. The only problems I've had were the VP-103 clipless pedals and the quick-release seat clamp. The VP pedals were extremely difficult to get out of when you're in a pinch. I've since upgraded my pedals to the Shimano 747. And the seat clamp quick-release tends to slip a bit after a few rides. It took me a while to learn that I have to really crank it down to hold. Overall, Marin did a super job putting this bike together and offering it at a price that I did not think possible, concidering the component group. I've looked at a lot of different FSR bikes before deciding on the Mount Vision. I passed up GT, Pro-Flex, and Trek just to name a few. And for giving me the best 3 years of mountain biking, I'll give it a 5 star rating.

Porcupine Rim, Moab

more than 3 years

DiamondBack Ascent EX

1996 Mount Vision
Fox coil-over-oil rear shock, Manitou SX front shock, 747 clipless pedals, Mavic 221 rims

Submitted by KB a Weekend Warrior from Salt Lake City, Utah

Date Reviewed: April 22, 1999

Strengths:
great climber

Bottom Line:
Just bought this bike and got a great deal on it. It weighs 27lbs and is a great climber. It also handles great on tight single tracks. The pedal clearance is higher than other bikes so you dont have to change cadence as much. The only difference between this bike and the 99's is a slightly different designed real triangle. This is a very nice bike so far.

less than 1 month

trek y-5

Manitou SX-R
Fox Vanilla R
Full XT

Submitted by Stephen Dignam a Cross-Country Rider from Berthoud, CO

Date Reviewed: April 12, 1999

Strengths:
All

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
Why is this bike so popular in the UK? I've never
seen another one here in Colorado. I love it.

Georgia Pass

specialized fsr
Pro-flex 856
GT

super struts front
fox vanilla rear w/lighter spring
ESP 7.0 derailler

Submitted by Ross Crighton a cross-country rider from Edinburgh, Scotland

Date Reviewed: November 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

Top quality bike. What can I say? I enjoy the feel of the open plains, exploring unknown routes, daring to be different and this bike, well this bike just makes it 10 times better. The plush front and rear suspension supplied from manitou SX-R forks at the front and a Shockworks Rear Shock together with the unique rear torque tube make this bike a million times better than the Pro-flex 857. Ha Ha

Submitted by Ed A. a cross-country rider from Washington, D.C.

Date Reviewed: November 12, 1998

Bottom Line:

Very fun bike. I recently purchased a 1998 Mount Vision from Start-To-Finish via the Internet - it was discounted over 30% (they still have a few left!) - and I am very pleased. This bike is light, fast, comfortable and does not bounce while pedaling. It climbs like a hardtail - without the pain in the ass. If you're interested in a FS bike in this price range, it would be tough to beat Marin's offering. At least test ride this bike! You'll notice that many manufacturers are moving to the swingarm design for their 1999 FS bikes - Marin got it right early.I tested the Trek Y-3, Specialized FSR & FSR Comp., Marin Rift Zone & B-17 and a couple of hardtails before selecting the Mount Vision. The Y-3 wasn't too bad but it was very light up front and bounced while pedaling. The FSR's creaked like crazy, bounced quite a bit while pedaling and had lame front shocks. I was going to buy the Rift Zone (great bike, too), which I rented for three days in Moab, but then I located the Mount Vision for $600 off list - components are a couple of grades better.As a side note, you should also test ride a B-17 or Wildcat Trail. These bikes are outrageously fun. Five to six inches of suspension on both ends. The bikes are heavier but very plush. As suspension increases each year on cross-country bikes, soon these bikes will be considered the norm - Marin may be ahead of their time again...Five flaming heaps of dung for the Mount Vision - they deserve a sixth for the beautiful design and silver/orange finish - the bike is a work of art, but five is the max.And another thing, I don't know why Marins, which are designed in the U.S., are not that popular here. It seems that in the U.K. they are no secret. Anyway, perhaps Marin prefers to put money in R&D and not advertising.

Submitted by Susan Scott a weekend warrior from California, USA

Date Reviewed: August 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

Just got my Marin Mount Vision & I Love it! This bike makes downhilling even more enjoyable for me because of the extra speed and maneuverablity that comes naturally from this bike. It feels like I'm only doing half the work. It's the softest ride ever. I like the handlebar sloped style for a more upright position on the downhills to help keep that weight down in back. Can't wait to ride it at Mammoth Mountain.

Submitted by Marky B a weekend warrior from Somerset, UK

Date Reviewed: August 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

The Mount Vision is the best thing Marin ever did. The ride is great, probably even better with the progressive rear spring, but I ain't gonna spend 30 quid to find out when I can get a custom wound spring for 18! C'mon Marin, why so expensive? I've got Z1's on mine for the plushet usable all round ride there is.

Submitted by Darrin Carter a weekend warrior from Plymouth, UK

Date Reviewed: August 2, 1998

Bottom Line:

I had a Trek 800 for about 4-5 years, and recently upgraded to a Marin - Mount Vision. I have never had a suspension bike before, and at first it seemed very strange riding it. I quickly took it to some challenging terrain on Dartmoor, and found a tough rocky downhill trail. The Marin just loved it, it gave me such confidence to go bombing down the hill, where on my old hardtail it would have scared the pants of me!!! I'd recommend the bike, and I am glad I chose it. I was going to buy a Trek 8000SHX or a Kona Lava Dome... but I thought 'Hey you only live once' and got the Marin! Now that I have full suspension, I also find myself taking new lines of very rough ground or doing more jumps... which I would not have done on the Trek800! Stay Cool and ride on!!

Submitted by Duncan Metcalf a weekend warrior from Blackburn, England

Date Reviewed: July 31, 1998

Bottom Line:

I can now go to Heaven I HAVE the ultimate bike. It rides the bumps it climbs the hills it stops and changes gear with glee, I am the passenger on a high. This bike prised me away from ORANGE,I've had 3. If I was young free and single I could use it as a girl magnet. Marin, do yourself a favour, spend double on a headset and save us the hassle.Thanks for a great bike.Duncan BIG calves

Submitted by Vince a weekend warrior from Essex England

Date Reviewed: July 30, 1998

Bottom Line:

This is my second Marin FRS. I got one of the first Alpine Trails imported into the UK. I found that I liked the full suspention thing but in my enthusiasm I got the frame size all wrong. I now know that a Marin FRS should be sized 2 smaller than your normal MTB. Having got the correct size frameset I can only enthuse, especially now that it has stopped raining in the UK and the trails are all rutted thanks to our equestrian friends. It is an astonishing, bone shaking experience to go back to my old hardtail, you forged how rough the UK trails are. I will keep my hardtail though, I need a conventional crossbar to hang the battery pack, its now summer and I shouldn't be thinking about those long dark wet winter rides.

Submitted by James Kelly a downhiller from Maine

Date Reviewed: July 30, 1998

Bottom Line:

50 words! bah! but any way i crashed my friends mount vision pro and it only put a slight dent in its think frame... he got pissed at me so i gave him my bike... ha ha ha.... a crappy murray... i hate murrays.... not to mention specialized... whats up with specialized! thier prices are as high as my sister of a saturday night!! And plus they just dont stack up to the personal and afordability of a marin bike.... you guys make a mean bike...one think though... can you make all your new frames out of 4 inch thick titanium... so next time i crash it will break the tree instead of denting the bike frame?! (I dont ask for much... thanks for posting this
-James

Submitted by Andy Barnes a cross-country rider from Aberdeen, Scotland

Date Reviewed: July 20, 1998

Bottom Line:

I upgraded to a Mount Vision from a six year old Marin IFT in April. The Basic set up needed a bit of modification - XTR crankset, Atac stem, straight taperlight bars- to suit long distance XC rides. The old IFT was a lightning quick bike and climbed like a dream, but the Mount Vision is at least as good on the climbs and much faster over the rough stuff. More importantly, its much more comfortable so you can spend 6-7 hours (I even did a 13.5 hour trek) on the bike with no problems. Since I bought the bike I have covered over a thousand miles. The only complaints I have are the headset which seized up every time it got wet (no good in Scotland!), and the VP pedals which are shite - difficult to get into, if you get it even slightly wrong the cleat can snarl up in the pedal, and I have frequently disengaged unexpectedly when putting the hammer down. I have now upgraded the headset to a Chris King (lovely - nuff said), and the pedals to Time Atacs which are about as perfect as pedals get. The rear hub bearing has just given up on me but I suppose I can't complain considering my weight (196 lbs) and the mileage covered. Overall the Mount Vision is a perfectly designed Full bouncer, without doubt the best cross country bike I have ever ridden.