Marin East Peak Bike 1998 or Older

4.1/5 (10 Reviews)

Marin East Peak

Submitted by Dylan Mendicino a Weekend Warrior from Christchurch, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2001

Strengths:    Good sturdy frame! Nice soft suspension, nice componetry!

Weaknesses:    Fact that its an XC bike, and the tire tube valve is anoying to use!

Bottom Line:
Its a good all round bike! But its about out of date at this time, Mine got stolen because it was such a great bike! But now im moving onto Marin B-17!

Favorite Trail:   Lava Flow

Purchased At:   Bike Shack

Bike Setup:   Great!

Submitted by Joe Stump Jumper from Flagstaff, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2001

Strengths:    The frame rocks. It is the best frame that Marin has come out with. This has the full size swing arm rather then the newer light arm. The older one has no flex. The frame looks alot better then the newer frames. You can put a longer travel fork on this frame without screwing up the geometry.

Weaknesses:    The parts group that comes on this bike sucks. Shimano STX RC parts, Shock Works Rear shock, and RST Fork SUCK.

Bottom Line:
If you can pick up one of these for a reasonable deal, do it. Then rip off all of the factory parts and build the puppy up for some serious jumping. I give the frame 5 chillies, the parts that come on it wouldn't even get one.

Favorite Trail:   Back trails of Flag

Purchased At:   Cosmic Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Schwin, others.

Bike Setup:   East Peak Frame with a Fox Float R, Psylo SL Fork, all XT and XTR drive train, wheels, etc. and Avid Arch Rival 50 Brakes.

Submitted by MoJo McDickspank a Weekend Warrior from Youranus

Date Reviewed: April 15, 1999

Bottom Line:
I think it sucks

6 months

Submitted by Chris Dunlop a cross-country rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: February 6, 1999

Bottom Line:

Bought a Marin East Peak last November. At the time replaced the RST for a Manitou X-Vert E fork, and have put SPDs on it. It is a truly impressive ride. I've been riding on a Diamond Back Axis hardtail for a couple of years, and this leaves it for dead! The front end is smoother than any Judy I've ridden on, and performs better in every respect. The bike climbs just as fast as my hardtail, and for downhill no more needs to be said...The only niggle I have with it is the performance of the rear shock. This would benefit from an upgrade to a Fox Air Vanilla or like. At the moment, the Shockworks tops out hard on the rebound, and is a bit stiff in the rear travel.
Else an impressive bike.

Submitted by Keith Reeder a racer from Blyth, UK

Date Reviewed: November 29, 1998

Bottom Line:

I'm somewhere between Cross-country and Weekend warrior (whatever that is)!Lovely leedle bike: I've been riding mine for about 4 months now, and in general think it's great as an all round good for just about anything ride. Plush but not too bouncy under presssure, it really suits head-down, arse-up blasting.My only problems have been:the fork - which for my tastes was MUCH too damped (changed it for a Rockshox Judy XLC which should have been a mistake, but actually works fine with the back end of the Marin and isn't nearly the anchor you'd think it would be): andthe weird bottoming out(?) of the Shockworks coil-over shock, over little bumps (ruts in the road, say). The shock is fine off road proper, but seems to bottom out with alacrity over inch deep square bumps. I've read a lot of stuff about this online recently, and opinions are divided over what's going on. (I'm about to fit a dual rate spring upgrade to see if that helps).Otherwise: a little flying machine!

Submitted by Daniel Ives a weekend warrior from Cambridge

Date Reviewed: November 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

Hello, my name is Daniel Ives and recently I have purchased a Marin East Peak.
Before I had ridden a Kona hahanna mountain bike which was very uncomfertable to ride but when I got the East Peak it almost felt smoother than our car. I was amazed how good the brakes were and how smooth the ride was
even on rocky conditions. This Bike is a must have item.

Submitted by Jason Fiorillo a weekend warrior from Palo Alto, CA

Date Reviewed: October 28, 1998

Bottom Line:

THIS BIKE IS FANTASTIC!
I tested them all: Trek Y3, Specialized FSR, Cannondale...all the big names.
This bike was easily the most nimble, handling downhill, XC, and uphill all splendidly. For $775 US You just can't get a better deal!

Submitted by Darren Shilson a cross-country rider from Plymouth, United Kingdom,

Date Reviewed: June 26, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought the East Peak to ease me back to the sort of fitness level I had a couple years ago, before my last bike broke and I got a desk job. My budget was
a £1000 and the East Peak was worth every penny, It handled everything I've chucked at it. I really feel like a beginner again and it'll take a while to get my confidence back, but in situations where I would've come off before, the bike
definately helped me out of them. I cannot fault the rear or front suspension yet.

Submitted by Ian a weekend warrior from brighton

Date Reviewed: May 5, 1998

Bottom Line:

The East Peak is a classy bike. Easily the best looking full sus bike at the mo'. If you are thinking of riding it hard though the spend the extra on the b17 as you'll blow through the rear travel real quick. I think the culprit is the falling rate shock design. I went for the b17 'cos of this, and I still have to wind the preload up.

Submitted by Andrew Groom a weekend warrior from Berlin

Date Reviewed: April 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

I recently had cause to buy a new MTB after some b###### stole my much beloved Saracen Tufftrax, which
although a Chromoly steel hardtail was an extremely good ride especially uphill (downhill not so hot; a bit of a
boneshaker).Anyway after considerable deliberation of other products and with my still fresh insurance money in my hands
I nailed the competition down to the Giant ATX 890 and the Marin. Others such as the GAry Fisher and
Kona were tested and dismissed. All are excellent bikes and there is to be honest little to choose between
them spec wise; at this stage much comes down simply to personal choice, and the MArin felt slightly plusher,
was less noisy and at DM 2,198 = £709 (NB: UK price £995 - rip off!!) after some haggling a snip.My first impressions are a revelation on my well known dirttracks around Berlin's forests. Not only does the
bike not suffer from bobbing as one pedals hard uphill (somethiing the GAry Fisher bikes suffer from badly:
so one has to use the rear susp lockout) it storms downhill over practically anything you can throw at it. I have
to say that had I chosen the Giant my downhill comments may have been equally enthusiatic given my hard
arse background.I have not had so much fun on a bike since I was @ 10 years old and the sweet f/r susp soaked up all the big
and little bumps alike making the ride a pleasure and making me stay out playing 'til well after my bedtime.
There is no great clanking of parts as the rear mech works so you don't sound like some two wheel harvesting
device which is also worthwhile.I have no trouble with the water bottle linkages with the 17.5 frame but agree with other reviewers of Marin's
range that the lower cage would get full of sh## on a wet day.Overall I am very pleased with the bike which works superbly and is now chained to my gas meter/inlet pipe
and should anyone wish to try to saw the lock off I truly hope you are smoking a fag at the time!!

2012 East Peak 5.6 for less than $1k, yes or no?

In my search to rekindle my love of riding I am in need of a decent base bike to start off with (again). I am in a sense a "Noob" as it has been 10 plus years since I have aggressively "bombed" down trails and hills so I need something that will allow me to be confident and competent in my skills ... Read More »

Mission Peak Blog by East Bay Regional Parks

Hi Everyone, Thought you would all like to see that East Bay Regional Parks created their own blog for Mission Peak. Looks like once you register, you can talk about anything related to Mission Peak. Now's our chance to speak about those things most passionate to us. Enjoy! [url=http://miss ... Read More »

East Peak Standover?

Anybody got an East Peak in a Small? Marin's website does not spec standover for some crazy reason. I'm looking to get an East Peak for my wife who is 5'2" with 29" inseam. If anyone has one of these in a small, I'd appreciate a measurement of Standover. Thx.Read More »

Riding in the Emerald Forest...East Bay Hills at Peak Color..

just a few pix from yesterday, amazing rich green colors in the east bay hills right now...but it won't last..these were taken on my ride in the diablo foothills/shell ridge parks, really nice fun ride with gorgeous views. one big rattler sighting but he high-tailed it off the trail before i could g ... Read More »

2008 Marin East Peak

I've read quite a few reviews but I was just looking for some new information on the 2008 Marin East Peak. I just got one a few days ago and while its in the shop I'm reading up on different aspects of the bike and biking in general. I was wondering if anyone here has experience with this bike and i ... Read More »