Marin Bobcat Trail Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.19/5 (32 Reviews)

Marin Bolinas Ridge

Submitted by Bob Cat a Racer from Tallinn, Estonia

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2002

Strengths:    Nice frame, titanium colour. Very easy to climb up and good on roads.

Weaknesses:    saddle is lil bit uncomfortable. Heavy.

Bottom Line:
I think its a good bike.Im planning to buy a new bike next year(hawk hill, palisade or nail trail) but meanwhile I have to get along with bobcat...

Purchased At:   velodroom

Similar Products Used:   marin hawk hill

Bike Setup:   Alivio shifters, rock shox judy tt front shock( 80mm) v-brakes, acera front shifter and other alivio parts.

Submitted by Lee Sherratt a Cross Country Rider from Cheshire, England.

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2000

Strengths:    The Marin Bobcat Trail is a good solid bike, it will go for miles and miles. It is quick and easy to climb on, I have raced on it and got respectable results. I would recommend the Bobcat to anyone who is looking for a bike they can ride on all day with the occassional dabble into racing.

Weaknesses:    I feel the only weakness with the Bobcat is its handling, It is not the correct geometry to be leaning right over on bends, so SLOW DOWN on those hairpins!!

Bottom Line:
If you want a quality bike with a quality name for a all day cross country riding, road riding, city and occassional racing then this is the bike for you. As for me I've just got a Nail Trail frame so I will see how this perform's and review it here soon.

Favorite Trail:   Red Bull @ Coed-Y-Brenin

Purchased At:   Second hand

Similar Products Used:   Marin Palisades Trail

Bike Setup:   Upgrades are: XT front mech (Highly recommended), Sachs grip shift (don't bother), STX RC rear mech (Highly recommended)

Submitted by justdave a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2000

Strengths:    strong parts and frame for the price paid until it been wear off ...

Weaknesses:    those listed in my replaced and up-graded list.

Bottom Line:
Mine is in titanuim colour, so I guess it's pretty much an older bike.
Anyway, I have done a great deal of riding time on it, from cross-country, single-track to "not too steep" fast descend and a fair bit of road riding commuting to work and to neighbouring country. It's a strong and trustworthy bike, though I do have some serious CRASH time on it.
If you love to fully-utilise your hard earn cash and equipement but have a budget problem like I do ... don't wait buy it, trash it and do a up-grade later...have fun !!!

Favorite Trail:   anywhere remote in Singapore

Purchased At:   Sembawang, Singapore

Bike Setup:   upgraded/ replaced - manitou 3 fork, Lx brake lever and rear derailluer, a-tac stem, spd, cannibal tyre and araya rims

Submitted by Cool MTB Nom de Plume a Weekend Warrior from Montreal now

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2000

Strengths:    Cheap, long lasting

Weaknesses:    Makes more expensive bikes look like a waste of money

Bottom Line:
This is my second review (see peter from Melbourne). Well I have had it 4 years now, in that time it has done as shamefull 2600km (1600 miles) and I have replaced due to wear and tear:
1 bottom bracket
1 rear hub
1 set of tyres
2 sets of brake pads
(been a few other replacements due to crash damage (seat, bar ends etc)
It is now my commuter bike since I have upgraded to a XT Santa Cruz Heckler. It speaks volumes for this bike that every now and again that I like to throw a set of knobbies on this bike and hit the trails. And you know what? My smile is just as wide on the trails as on the Heckler. If you have got no cash, buy one of these and enjoy yourself just as much as anyone else on the trail. Value wise it eats my Heckler for breakfast, but of course is not a better bike than the Heckler!

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Heckler

Bike Setup:   Still stock except for new rear wheel & chain, bar ends and roller-ma-jig.

Submitted by Paul a Weekend Warrior from Edinburgh

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2000

Strengths:    Great beginners bike!

Weaknesses:    Wheel hubs and rims less than solid!

Bottom Line:
Absolutly spot on for the price. It's lasted well since 1995 and seems set for doing a few more years. Well worth keeping it going and upgrading the components as you go.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by marco righetti a Weekend Warrior from uddingston lanarkshire scotland

Date Reviewed: November 20, 1999

Strengths:
lightweight for price

Weaknesses:
inferior gear shifter

Bottom Line:
i use the bobcat trail to go to work 5 miles there and 5 miles back its a good work horse
especially since i upgraded to xt brakes,lx rear meche,stxrc crankset and stxrc shifters this is one good bike.

strathclyde park,chatellherault country park scotland 25 miles

1 Year

own a titanium mtb a dna
russian titanium bike

Submitted by David P a Cross-Country Rider from Arlington TX

Date Reviewed: November 10, 1999

Strengths:
Great frame

Weaknesses:
Cranks gears are not replaceable.
I did not like the pedals.

Bottom Line:
I got this bike so that i could use in a marathon, and still go offroad a bit. I love the way the frame feals, The brakes are awsome. I even like the Stock seat after riding 23 miles strait.I got tis bike for only 375.00 on sale. and tha cannot be beaten by anyone else around my area.

3 months

GT, Diamond Back

Hard fork

Submitted by Greg a Downhiller from San Ramon

Date Reviewed: June 1, 1999

Strengths:
-Ligthweight and strong
-Powerful V-brakes
-Easy to upgrade
-Nice looking
-Great wheels(you fly!!)

Weaknesses:
-Grips tend to get loose
-Brakes tend to loosen

Bottom Line:
This bike is an overall great bike. I just went up to some mountains and it was great. I flew down the hills and the bumps, even though I don't have any suspension, were mainly not felt. This bike is a Bobcat Trail '98 model. I got it at a regular price of 399.99 bucks. It's a good deal for the bike because of the speed and weight. It also has extremem strength for an alumin. bike. The brushed alum. looks beautiful and the ridgid yellow fork is also great. Don't get any other bike besides a Marin, Releigh, GT, or Specialized. I would know this. I have experience.

Who cares?

6 months

-Releigh '97 MTB bike:M50
-Diamondback bikes

-I used a Bocat Trail '98 and haven't added any upgrades on yet.

Submitted by Craig a weekend warrior from Cheshire, England

Date Reviewed: January 23, 1999

Bottom Line:

This bike feels quick and is eager to leave the ground if you desire it to. It weighs about 27.5lbs.I have changed the pedals to Shimano LX SPDs and put on '99 Marzocchi Z3 Lights. The weight has gone up to 29.5lbs but it can still leave the ground easily.If you haven't got loads of money burning holes in your pockets then this is a great bike to get.I bought the bike 6 months ago and have covered over 350 miles. Overall £400 well spent.

Submitted by Emerson a cross-country rider from Essex,England

Date Reviewed: December 11, 1998

Bottom Line:

The best £400 I ever spent.Bought the bike 9 months ago and have clocked up 500 miles, Just cannot get enough!,Going to upgrade with front suspension and going to enjoy some serious downhill bumpiness.

Submitted by Jamie Romualdo a weekend warrior from Waialua,Hawaii

Date Reviewed: November 13, 1998

Bottom Line:

I had my Bobcat Trail since 1994 and it is still Kicking Butt, Down here the trails are crazy. I still beat people with Full Suspension bikes at Waimea Downhill. I upgrade my bike a lot through out the years it has all XT parts and Rock Shox, SDG, Hell Bent Handlebars. All of my friends have Marins, only a few people down here got Marins because only one store sells it.(quote) MARIN KICKS A$$!!!!

Submitted by Tony a weekend warrior from St. Pete, FL. USA

Date Reviewed: October 25, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought my Bobcat Trail a few month ago; it's alloy. I think it's great for an entry level alloy! You need to upgrade the ridged forks to shocks, as I did with a Manitou spider set that kept me within my price range. I also use mine every day as well as weekends and I love it. As far as the lizard skin and stuff goes, I don't see why you would go that route. It's a bike and it's going to get that used look with or without that stuff. For the price, it's the best thing out there. ~Peace~

Submitted by Robert Bransby a weekend warrior from London, England

Date Reviewed: October 23, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought my Bobcat Trail early this year so it's the 98 alloy model, i think it's great for an entry level alloy!!! you need to upgrade the ridged folks to shocks and put some lizard skins on to stop chain slap but other than that i use mine every day as well as wekends and i love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My next bike will deffinatley be a full sus Marin.

Submitted by Neil a cross-country rider from Bristol, UK

Date Reviewed: September 24, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have the 98 version and it is great. It's taken me over 300 miles without major fault. It rides very well for the price for XC including BMX style dirt jumps, hopping around and crashing into big trees! GREAT BIKE!!!!!! (shame about the components + wheelset, I've upgraded to full LX and the RST 461.)

Submitted by Mikko Mellin a weekend warrior from Tampere

Date Reviewed: September 10, 1998

Bottom Line:

I only have one thing to say,Marin Bobcat trail is a good entry level bike!
My friend have had her bike five(5!)year`s,and it is still in good condition.
Except one thing,the headset loosens during years,and finally rust`s to stuck,
it is no big deal,if you think about it`s age!Put a new fork(susp.),r-d and a
new seat,you got a perfect+cheap bike!