Living Extreme Team II Bike Bike 1998 or Older

3.75/5 (63 Reviews)

Living Extreme Team II

Submitted by brianwitty a Weekend Warrior from bowling green KY USA

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have a one of a kind deep maroon and canary yellow Living X team ca.1996-97. White Manitou fork, gore tex cables, magura raceline yellow hydrolic brakes, sun rims, white ind. crank, xt front and rear, xray grip shift, selle san marco seat, I'm sure I'm leaving something out. Anyway, they bike is in incredible condition as I rode it for a few weeks when I got it then spent my time on other things. I break it out and ride it about once a year now but rarely even take it offroad. I know it's a shame, but I'd rather be playing with vintage cars or vintage guitars. It's an awesome bike, and every mountain biker I knew would drool over it afterr riding it, trouble is, I don't really know many biker anymore as most have gotten too busy in their careers to ride. I wouldnt mind selling the bike for a reasonable sum so if anyone is really interested, call me at 270 792 3622. PS. $500 is not reasonable to me, it's worth that to me to break it out and ride every now and then. thanks

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   mail order

Submitted by Traildawg a Cross Country Rider from Sarasota, FL

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2008

Strengths:    Light, cool frame design

Bottom Line:
The first bike I had was a very good bike for XC. I broke the frame in half going down hill and hit a tree pretty hard. This was not Living X's fault but they took care of me. They sent me a new frame which I've had since 1996 that has no cracks, breaks or any other problems to speak of. The bike has made it threw many sets of cranks, rims and even forks. The bike has been VERY good to me.

Purchased At:   Mail Order

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox Judy XC, XTR front and rear, Xray smoke shifter, Mavic Super UB.

Submitted by grohna a Weekend Warrior from michigan

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2008

Strengths:    very nice bike light weight i had it rebuild i ride it everyday

Weaknesses:    it has broke at the bottom of the frame i had it put back together i love this biker any more info i would like to hear

Bottom Line:
i like to hear stories about other living-x bikes because i cannot find them anywhere

Favorite Trail:   avalach

Purchased At:   store out of businse

Submitted by Brian Leverenz a Racer from Palatine, IL USA

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2007

Strengths:    Good components, but its because the frame is a piece of crap. I broke 4 frames and the company is out of business now. Do not buy this frame if you see it!

Weaknesses:    Frame sucks, brittle in cold, which is when i broke the ones i rode. Four of them, count em! Company warrantied them, but eventually went out of business. Who could survive wit ha reputed 33% breakage rate?

Bottom Line:
Stay away from this frame!

Favorite Trail:   Palos

Purchased At:   Mail Order

Bike Setup:   XT components and Manitou Pro Fork, good stuff, too bad the frame sucks!

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from DFW, TX

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2003

Strengths:    Light and quick handling

Weaknesses:    No longer in business

Bottom Line:
I am also interested in any Living X material ... stickers, magazine ads, etc.

I purchased my hard tail direct in '96. Not being a competitive mountain biker (I am more of a roadie), the bike collected more dust than single track mileage.

Anyway, this year it became a project bike for me. I had it totally stripped, powder coated and re-built. The bike is now completed with a 3.1 lb Marzocchi fork, new Mavic tubeless rims and full XTR (including the new hollow-tec crankset). The fellas at the local bike shop are nutty over this thing.

Please email me at TWNTBO@YAHOO.COM if you have any additional info. on Living Extreme Bicycles.

Purchased At:   direct

Submitted by Fluffy Bananachunks a Racer from Atl, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
Loved that frame! Can't remember details, but it was a Team 16" Long or something. Was the greatest thing until the chainstay started to bend towards the crankside.

Also raced for them. on 05/06/1996 I had Crazyroo emblazoned across my back.

Not too long after Living-X went away, and became Plant for good, I called and had a batch of stickers sent out too me. Needless to say: I can't find them. The only pics of Crazyroo that I have are a few >small< electronic copies made back in the day...

Anyone have any Crazyroo stickers left over???

TIA
Geo

Purchased At:   direct from Living Extreme (Living-X)

Submitted by Noah from huntington beach

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
If somebody has a living x frame that is not broken, or hell even if it is please contact me: xcfisher@aol.com I would wish to purchase it. I used to race for living x back in the day, and it was my favorite frame of all time. I would be happy to take it off of your hands.
thank you!

Purchased At:   living-x

Submitted by Ed Alber a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: November 4, 1999

Bottom Line:
Does anyone out there have the dual suspension Living-X ??? I'd like to talk about it. I'm old, big and overweight. The bike is too light for my size and after a year (after the rear shock seized, Stratos is JUNK) started showing cracks and bending!! above the crank. A friend (retired profesional welder) straightened, repaired and braced the frame under the seat post to bottom bracket. This was over a year ago. No problems yet. I love the bike, especially after replacing the Stratos (after three seizes, and four week rebuilding time each time!!)with a Cane-Creek.
Didn't need that lock out anyway.

Tsali

more than 3 years

Submitted by Chuck Neckman a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: September 21, 1999

Strengths:
It was great before the chainstay collapsed.

Weaknesses:
see strengths.

Bottom Line:
The company has a lifetime guarentee on the frame, which is of course WORTHLESS if the company is gone. My frame is now on a trash heap behind the Ibis dealer's shop.

bear creek

1 Year

I replaced the frame with an Ibis Mojo, no comparison. The Ibis rocks!

all XT with Zoom seat post, stem and bars.

Submitted by Greg Echtner a cross-country rider from Pensacola, FL

Date Reviewed: February 15, 1999

Bottom Line:

When I first saw the bike, I thought WHOA! It was a great deal. I ordered an Ozziroo, but unfortunately, the Manitou shock had been recalled. Bummer. I kept talking to Mark(customer service badass!), and he said he would upgrade me to the Team Frame. COOOOOLLL! Anyway, it took quite a while to get the bike. When it did come, I opened the box, and immediately I was glad I waited. This bike was awesome! I rode it and all my friends were curious. It was lighter than my friend's Mongoose IBOC SX and it cost half as much. The LivingX outclimbed, out singletracked, and just plain outran anything on the trails. And then came the fateful crash ( I stuffed the front wheel in a rut). Great. My frame's bent. It was only bent a little, near the headtube, effectively shortening my wheelbase, and other than handling REALLY quick, it seemed fine. I tried to contact LivingX to replace the frame, and... sorry! No contact here! It seems they went out of business. I sold it to a friend and bought a Proflex 856. But after only a couple of months, the chainstay broke! I know I wrecked the bike, but I think the chainstay would have broke anyway. Turns out a lot of people have had this problem. I'd have to give the bike four chilies for performance, one for durability, and I have no clue what to rate customer service. They were first-class..... when I could reach them. Overall, three chilies.(P.S. The Proflex 856 still works superbly. I'd give it five chilies)

Submitted by Bob a weekend warrior from Michigan

Date Reviewed: November 11, 1998

Bottom Line:

i tried the living-x team bike (xtr, etc), and found it to be extremely fast. it climbed like no other, and really flew on tight single track. i never had any trouble with it. i forund, however, that it handled a bit too quick for me, so i took off the components and put them on another frame. anyone interested in the living-x frame? e- mail me...

Submitted by Michele Hörnmo a cross-country rider from Sweden

Date Reviewed: October 18, 1998

Bottom Line:

Where in Europe can I buy myself an Living-X bikes? And if it`s not available
Sweden or Europe, how can I get One? The first and only time i saw it was in
the moutainbike magazine-Moutain Bike sep. 1996. I liked what I saw.Great
looking and good value. So please help me get one for myself, I need one.

Submitted by Matthew Burtenshaw a downhiller from Horsley in surrey

Date Reviewed: October 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

A mate was out riding one day when he noticed a small crack in his ATX 990 this was one of several small cracks he had found on previousframes that had been replaced by the manufacturers he was given a knew rear swing arm but this was pointless really as a few days later he found a crack round his head tubeafter doing some 180 jumps giant said thats enough and siad they wouldnt replace any more parts so he had to spend loadsof money on a new bike out of his own pocket. SO my pun for the day is ATX990's arent all there CRACKED upto be

Submitted by danny sullivan a cross-country rider from state college pa

Date Reviewed: September 3, 1998

Bottom Line:

My living x bike is absolutely fabulous. Ditto most of the good stuff already written. I WOULD HOWEVER VERY MUCH APPRECIATE ANY INFORMATION WHICH MIGHT HELP ME GET IN TOUCH WITH THE COMPANY. I have cracked my rear deraileur hanger. I have tried calling them with the phone number I used to order, it is out of service however. I no longer see any advertisements, nor am I able to access their web site. What is the deal? PLEASE HELP! Email me with any info.

Submitted by jesiah metzker a cross-country rider from lake stevens wa

Date Reviewed: August 28, 1998

Bottom Line:

I own the team3 and it's the best climbing, single track, down hill bike I've ever ridin. I have rode it in every rocky, muddy, and single track conditions there is and it climbs like a mountain goat. Thanx for building me such a sweet bike! Everybody tells me that i've got the most epic hardtail bike they've ever seen. P.S. except the paint job sucks!