Litespeed '98 Ocoee Bike 1998 or Older

Litespeed '98 Ocoee

Submitted by martin13 a Cross Country Rider from Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2009

Strengths:    Durable,Rigid,10.2 kilograms,responsive and sweet to ride
the swing arm bearing is the original and no side movement after all these years, well done litespeed!!

Weaknesses:    None now with the new tecnologies applied

Bottom Line:
I first reviewed my Litespeed back in 2000, here I am in 2009 still riding the "same Litespeed frame" after over 100000 kilometres (60000 miles) and heading for 12 years of ownership. I feel privileged to still enjoy this magnifcent piece of handmade machinery.

Favorite Trail:   Mawson trail (986 kilometres)

Purchased At:   BicycleSuperstore, M

Similar Products Used:   GT RTS2,

Bike Setup:   Ocoee f/s, Manitou Seven7 f/fork, Manitou Swinger 3 rear shock, 2006 XTR group set 9 speed, Dualcontrol shifters V brakes, Mavic CrossMax SLR ceramics,Selle Turbo 2 seat, Thomson seat post,Easton EC70 flat bars,OURY grips, FSA PRO Elite headset,

Submitted by John Miller a Racer from Livermore, ME USA

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2002

Strengths:    The bike was great, took big hits, lite, deffinition of the perfect ride. Replaced with a Seven after it was stolen, believe it or not, the Seven is terrible quality, I miss my Ocoee

Weaknesses:    Rear Hanger got bent, came right back. use a brakeaway bolt!!
When you have one, you cann't go frame shopping anymore.

Bottom Line:
If you find one out there, buy it and lock it up before some creep steals yours.

Similar Products Used:   Seven Terres {expensive and poor quality}

Bike Setup:   XT & XTR,

Submitted by Ramon Gibbs a Cross Country Rider from Superior, Co

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2002

Strengths:    Light, great on the downhill. Great climber in and out of the saddle. Very responsive. I can't imagine owning another bike.

Weaknesses:    None, other then having to get new stickers every year.

Bottom Line:
This bike kicks big booty!!!

Favorite Trail:   cave trail canfield mtn cda idaho

Purchased At:   Bike shop owners own bike

Bike Setup:   Manitou fork, xt/xtr, mavic wheels, panaracer tires and my favorite onza bar ends.

Submitted by Capt'n a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2001

Strengths:    Climbs like a mountain goat! Nice work of tappered tubing and precision welding. Lucked out on the price!!!

Weaknesses:    There are none! Other than the fact Litespeed quit producing it! I think it's now the Pisquah...?

Bottom Line:
23.5 lbs. of heaven! Extremely responsive and aggressive.
I've been riding Britney (that's what I like to call her) for so many seasons we become one when we hit the trail.
Anything else would just be bad pizza!

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere in Park City

Purchased At:   Canyon (Frame only)

Similar Products Used:   Only demoed/borrowed others! This is my second and probably last bike (frame) I'll ever purchase!

Bike Setup:   Old school Ocoee (Pre-assymetrical chain stays), Chris King Headset, XT/XTR 9 spd driveline, Race Face Chain Rings,
'00 Z-2 Atombomb, Syncros Steel Revolution Cranks, White Industries Hubs, Mavic 517's, Ringle stem/seatpost,
Ibis ti bar, Selle Flite Ti

Submitted by Alex a Cross Country Rider from Raleigh, NC, US

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2001

Strengths:    Extremely light (3.25 lbs), very strong, very responsive, rigid, sucks up the small bumps though.

Weaknesses:    Design of chainstay can worsten chainsuck.

Bottom Line:
This bike is awesome, it is ultraresponsive and climbs like a jet. It is ultra-light, and accelerates on a dime. It takes everything you throw at it, and performs like no other bike I've ever ridden. The welds are incredibly strong, as Litespeed makes sure every weld is absolutely perfect. Although it is a little pricy, it is worth every penny I spent on it.

Favorite Trail:   Sig's Trail- New Light

Similar Products Used:   98 GT Lightning, Klein Mantra, Schwinn Moab

Bike Setup:   Manitou Mars C, XT shifters/levers, LX front, XT rear, LX Cranks, XTR front hub, LX rear hub

Submitted by gene counts a Weekend Warrior from haysi, va

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2000

Strengths:    light, strong,leaves one with a feeling of safety, knowing it is the best

Weaknesses:    absolutely none

Bottom Line:
For a 60 year old who likes single track and jumping logs and rocks this bike is a dream. I had a number of people snickering because I paid more for the bike than the car but I retired this year and the bike is my life. I live on it almost every day. This is the first year I have ridden in the snow and it has opened up a whole new world for me. I owe it all to the OCOEE!

Favorite Trail:   breaks park single track

Purchased At:   frankford bicycles

Similar Products Used:   first bike

Bike Setup:   judy sl, xt except for xtr cassette in rear, mavic 217 with continental explorer pro, kore elite, race face riser, cane creek t-bar ends with yeti grips, selle flite titanium saddle

Submitted by Trevor Eberhard a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake City

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2000

Strengths:    Very Lite, xtremely strong, ultra responsive. This frame begs to be ridden to the extreme, and rewards your courage beyond your expectations.

Weaknesses:    The bike cost me more than my car.

Bottom Line:
This is the most responsive bike I have ever been on. The Ocoee is a bike that begs to be pushed to the limit. The most agile bike I have been on, she flows around tight switch-backs. The precision flex of the titanium hard tail is merciful over rocks and ruts. She is lite and hops effortlessly over tree roots and other obstacles in your path. This is a serious frame that needs to be pushed, but she will respond with grace and fire if you give her the chance.

If you have the cash, you can't find a more responsive hard-tail on the market.

Favorite Trail:   Hourrah Pass, Moab

Purchased At:   Canyon Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   I have ridden Diamonbacks, Gary Fichers, and Specialized; all hard-tails.

Bike Setup:   Ocoee, Marzocchi Z.2 front fork, XT & Sram 9.0 components, Hutchison rubber.

Submitted by Martin Stone a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2000

Strengths:    strong light fast and precious. the distances i am able to go {ie >270 kilometres/day)is perfect for me when touring and at 50 years old enables me to easily continue my cycling

Weaknesses:    the fact that the fox rear shock wore out in 12months(15,ooo kilometres) plus the bottom swingage linkage to shock ovalized at the same time was a bit disappointing. also the
lightspeed bottom bracket died after only 9 months.

Bottom Line:
my pride and joy(*i love my ocoee fs}. this frame is the best
i have ever owned it may be very expensive but it should last me for the rest of my life (once the link weakness is overcome) i have now travelled over 30000 kilometres and taken the bike to europe, england and australia. i have commuted toured and raced with my ocoee it has had some crashes but never bent or buckled.

Favorite Trail:   Hysen Trail Sth Australia

Bike Setup:   XTR cranks front derailleur, rear cluster, XT 9 rear and V brakes, gore cables, mavic crossmax, klien carbon fibre flat bars control tec head stem, italia turbo 2 mag seat

Submitted by TOM a Cross Country Rider from NORTH CAROLINA

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2000

Strengths:    THIS BIKE IS LIGHT,SUPPLE AND STABLE AT SPEED.
IT FEELS LIGHTER THAN ITS NUMBERS SUGGEST.AFTER LONG THREE HOUR PLUS RIDES MY SHOULDERS AND BACK WERE NOT SORE AS THEY WHERE ON MY OLD SPECIALIZED M2.THE BIKE IS A TOTAL BLAST TO EASE UP TECHNICAL ROCK/ROOT INFESTED SINGLETRACK CLIMBS.
GET ONE OF THESE FRAMES AND GO INSANE BUILDING IT RIGHT AND I GUARANTEE YOU WILL HAVE A 22LBS DREAM BIKE. GO AHEAD MAKE YOUR DAY!

Weaknesses:    SOME TITANIUM CREAKING HERE AND THERE.

Bottom Line:
EXCELLENT RACE BIKE IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT.ABOUT AS LIGHT AS THEY COME.EASY ON YOUR BONES.THIS FRAME WILL OUTLAST ALL THE COMPONENTS YOU THROW ON IT,IT'S OWNER AND THEN SOME...

Favorite Trail:   TSALI LOOP

Bike Setup:   SID SL,XTR,9.0SL,TI STEM/BAR/SEATPOST,WHITE IND TI/517/MARWI TI WHEELSET,SDG TI,SPECIALIZED RUBBER

Submitted by Wade Patton a Cross-Country Rider from Murfreesboro, TN

Date Reviewed: April 3, 1999

Strengths:
light, nimble, quick.

Weaknesses:
everybody can't have one.

Bottom Line:
Did I say light already? I dropped at least 5 pounds (hey only $500/lb difference) from my out of date Cannondale. Gee, those go out of date fast. I always did good in technical sections before, but now the bike is more of an extension of self. You can see what the front is doing, you don't have to work the rest of the bike, just think, it'll be there. This bike makes the trail work for you. It just opens up options that were not there before. I love it. I may even try FS. Five dead flaming mice!

downhill both ways

1 Year

Full XT mfg setup with a Judy SL up front.

I did a little updating on my Uncle's '98 Ocoee...

Welded on some disc tabs and put some newer (different) stickers on. What you think? Before [IMG]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c285/pereiranick/UncleMikesOcoee.jpg[/IMG] After [IMG]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c285/pereiranick/UncleMikesOcoee2.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i29.photobucket.co ... Read More »