Kona Hei Hei Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.96/5 (26 Reviews)

Kona Hei Hei

Submitted by kemp morris a Cross Country Rider from suffolk va , usa

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2007

Strengths:    All just the most nimble comfortable hardtail I have ever owned. I just replace the components every 5 years and it feels like the first day I bought it.

Weaknesses:    They stopped building the frame

Bottom Line:
My favorite Bike. 3500 was in 1994 dollars

Purchased At:   top of the hill

Similar Products Used:   seven,jamis

Bike Setup:   all xtr with sid fork, ibis ti stem, and I have some old grafton stuff pretty cool

Submitted by jesse berg a Cross Country Rider from canada

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2006

Strengths:    light, resilient, never rusts.......

Bottom Line:
I was a pro developement junior for Kona in the early nineties and got a pro deal on my hei hei, 16 yrs down the trail it is going well. I raced on it for my early yrs , toured on it, commuted, and still cross country ride it. The sandvik frame has held up admirably.

Purchased At:   2500.00

Bike Setup:   rock shox judy fork (sucks), xt v brakes great, top mount xt shifters (still the most reliable), ti stem, seat post, broke the ti bars...

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from Bolton, Ont, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2004

Strengths:    The Frame on this bike is amazing. Its so strong, yet flexible and light, it couples for an excellent ride. Stock components are still working as a charm. I am not sure what year it is, but i beleive its early 90's. Riders who want a wicked cornering, solid cross country bike that can handle harsh down hill racing, or just leisure riding, then this is the product for you. Unfortionatly you will have to find a used one, which will be hard considering that once you own a Hei Hei, you dont want to let it go!!

Weaknesses:    Hmm havn't, I would say the rider. ;)

Bottom Line:
Great bike, glad i found it for such a good deal, especially with all the components.

Favorite Trail:   Heartland Landfill

Similar Products Used:   Norco, other Konas

Bike Setup:   Xt and XTR components, Titanium seat post and handle Bars. Sunrim racing rims. z2 bombers.

Submitted by Simon Howard from GB

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2004

Strengths:    Light, Strong, Durable finish, Classic!

Weaknesses:    In need of new decals - if I can be bothered!

Bottom Line:
I will never get rid of this frame!!

I got this bike when my Zaskar was stolen in '96. The Hei-Hei was '93 vintage and hardly ridden - it was in mint condition. It was decked out in the best kit available in 93 - Manitou forks (original Answer ones), Ringle hubs, ceramic rims, Cook bros cranks, Ti seat post, Ti velocity stem,Ti bar ends, Ti BB, Ti bars,King headset, Grafton brakes, XTR mechs and STI's. Over the years just replaced stuff as they wore/broke (most of the kit was in purple - remember when..!)Original parts still on the bike are front mech, seatpost, and headset. But the bike in its current form is still cutting it with modern hardtails, and still looks great (stealth - like!). It is timeless and a classic. I am still marvelling at how it corners even with a longer travel fork. This is the definitive hardtail - great for XC riding and racing.

Similar Products Used:   GT Zaskar

Bike Setup:   SID XC 80mm, XT '98 (v brakes, rear mech, STI's), original XTR front mech, Mavic Crossride Ceramics, Ritchey 180mm cranks, Rithey A-Head stem, King headset, Kona Ti seatpost, Onza Ti bar-ends, Flite seat. All in all about 23lbs

Submitted by jason a Cross Country Rider from columbia mo

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2003

Strengths:    strong, stiff, corners better than anything ive ever ridden

Weaknesses:    not a moots (but dosnt cost 2000)

Bottom Line:
sweet bike all aroung wonderfull rig rools fast and fits well for me anyway. this bike was stiffer than one of my coworkers easton ultralite frames in the same 20" size. i love this bike and will never sell it although i wouldnt mind having a big play bike. if you get kona on the phone they can put you in touch with ti sports (sandvik) so that you can get disc tabs put on the frame. they did mine for under a hundred bucks, did a realy nice job but they took forever. great way to bring you favorit bike into the modern age.

Purchased At:   kona

Similar Products Used:   canndale HT,
spec ground control

Bike Setup:   hayes, raceface, easton, xo shift derralier american clasic hubs

Submitted by Rich Matthews a Cross Country Rider from London, UK

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2002

Strengths:    Now I'm a little more informed on the bike, I'd like to give a fuller description of the ride quality.

This bike is super strong and super light, and I've made a sensible 20.5lbs race bike out of it. It accelerates well and climbs like a dream...on the decents the tracking is excellent, and requires only a little of my input to stear me out of danger.

Weaknesses:    None, only that Kona no longer makes the Hei Hei...maybe they'll come back to it in the future?

Bottom Line:
I joked before saying that I'll use this bike till it breaks...but I guess that could be a long time!!!

I've seen a few Hei Hei framesets on Ebay, and it you can get it for under $700, you could be in for a bargin.

Happy riding.........................Rich

Favorite Trail:   Dorset Coast Path

Purchased At:   MTBr

Similar Products Used:   Alot of top end MTB's from Pace, Specialized, Marin, Klein, Trek etc....this is the best so far :)

Bike Setup:   Tricked up with Pace carbon forks, Race Face Next LP cranks, carbon saddle, seatpost and bars, Mavic and Hope wheels...did I mention I still use XTII overbar shifters

Submitted by Lamarre Sébastien a Cross Country Rider from Montréal

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2002

Strengths:    Durability: I own a 1992 Kona Hei Hei straight-gauge pipe, plate drop-out frame. I have taken this bike with me for ten years now. I raced Expert on it. This has to be the best all around hard tail ever made, all in all. Simple, classic geometry that climbs and goes down with confidence. All Kona from this era shared the same geo. Good straight forward company.

Weaknesses:    I have never had any problems at all with this bike. The only thing I would add to such a great frame would be a replaceable rear der. hanger. But Ti is so strong, it's very unlikely to be a problem

Bottom Line:
I had this frame given to me by sponsor. Over the years, I replaced lots of parts, because worn out or broken, never to really upgrade (except front end: fork, stem, a-head and V brake) So I can say I really got my money's worth. My frame has over 30 000km (conservative -I'm 32 and I still ride it a lot). Buying a Ti frame is worth it for any serious xc racer. This one is going straight to my children when I die!!!
I would pay to have it again, I would get this very bike if I could start over again. I had my dream bike.

Favorite Trail:   Come on! Any trail

Purchased At:   Montreal.

Similar Products Used:   I had the chance to ride all other competition bikes offered by Kona; Explosif, Hot etc... And also Gary Fisher, various steel bikes, Asama Carbon, Rocky Mtn, Swapped bikes a lot with friends. I owned alu, steel bikes.

Bike Setup:   Still today: lots of original 1992 Shim XT: seatpost, rear brake/lever, thumb shifter! front derailleur. Rest is mix and match of LX, XT, Judy xcLT, blabla, anything that works.

Submitted by Clint Sheffield a Cross Country Rider from Austin, Tx

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2002

Strengths:    '97 Hei Hei is neutral, light, climbs like billygoat.... everything but pedal for you. Sloping, long top tube is the best. Kona stands behind their product (read next).

Weaknesses:    If you run with quite a bit of seatpost exposed, consider using 420mm post. My previous CrMo Hot frameset suffered from a separated weld at the seattube / toptube joint. I don't blame the bike design, material, or welds... I blame 4 years of really tough trailriding and a too-short 350mm post. It was replaced under warranty with no BS or interrogation.

Bottom Line:
I highly recommend this bike. Probably gonna keep it 'till I can't pedal any more.

Favorite Trail:   rocky hill ranch

Bike Setup:   Suntour XC Pro thumb shifters / 8spd XT drivetrain.

Submitted by Bare a Racer from Victoria,B.C. Can.

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2002

Strengths:    Titanium frame,beautifully crafted by Sandvik.Scratch proof,crackproof,an excellent frameset to upgrade throughout ownership.Lightweight,nimble and rust/dent proof.

Weaknesses:    Target for thieves.1991 vintage so front-end steerer tube angles too slack for forks 100mm or greater.Rear tire clearance minimal for large volume tire.Can't wear it out so wife won't let me buy new ride!!

Bottom Line:
I raced this bike from '91 till 93' for Kona,then purchased it at race year end.I simply love the bike.Unparalled durabilty,handling and coolness factors.Resale is extraordinary for a bike of this vintage.I just put new decals each year and Wahla..new bike!Lifetime warranty,incredilble insured replacement value.I intend to race again this season on it..privateer.If you intend to buy a Hei-Hei or any Sandvik made Ti bike..don't hesitate.Rocky,Norco,et al are good second choices in Ti.Ti rocks..Kona bikes rock.BB

Favorite Trail:   The Dump

Similar Products Used:   N\A

Bike Setup:   Marzokks z-2(80mm) Atom race(2001)Xtr,blah,blah,blah.

Submitted by Rich Matthews a Cross Country Rider from Tonbridge, Kent, UK

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2001

Strengths:    Very pleased with my Kona Hei Hei..waiting for a bike like this for 10 years, and now I have one, I'm well chuffed :). I've been previously riding a Trek 8500 hardtail which was itself 10 years old..and to compair Aluminium to Titanium was is interesting. The Hei hei is a heck of alot lighter, and accelerates like a dream..but I'm currently running a longish stem (140mm) which feels quite stretched out.

Weaknesses:    None as of yet

Bottom Line:
The rocks...if I can get used to the long stretch, I think this'll be the last bike I'll buy. Recommended

Favorite Trail:   Dorset Coast Path

Purchased At:   MTBreview.com

Similar Products Used:   None really apart from my Trek 8500

Bike Setup:   Sweet set up:

Marzocchi Z2 Superfly forks
Syncros Stem
X-lite Ti Bars
Deore XTII shifters (original and still the best)
Deore brake levers
Ti cassette
Spin Wheels

Submitted by Sigmund Forseth a Racer from Lillehammer

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2001

Strengths:    Light, strong, indestructible.

Weaknesses:    Rear brake wire routing, bottle mounts looseened.

Bottom Line:
I'm using my Hei-Hei for the 9th year. Best bike ever. Perfect is the word that describes it the best. It's a race-bike with very nice geometry and solid build.

If you haven't bought yourself a Hei-hei yet, the good times is still not over

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Kona USA

Bike Setup:   Full Shimano XTR, Onza MT74-A Ti barends, Rock Shox Mag 20, Ti handlebar and seatpost.

Submitted by Gino a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2000

Strengths:    Will never let you down. Undestructible. Stiff & light

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This is one of the best bikes on the market. It just feels good and it takes the abuse over and over again. I have riden with it for 6 years now and & I am not even thinking about looking for a new frame. I just change the parts on it as they wear out. The geometry fits my style 100% and it just feels like it is a part of me. This is the kind of bike you keep forever. I have tryed many other bikes and would not change for anything. If you can find one used on the market, you should really buy it. It is the only thing I concider as an investment on my bike. To me the value is still the same and it will always be. This is the perfect bike for XC riders.

Similar Products Used:   A lot. Nothing came close.

Bike Setup:   Actual setup:Race Face crank & Stem, XTR derailleurs, King hubs, Avid 50 brakes & levers, Marzocci z2 Atom Bomb fork, Studbuster supension post, Italia Flite Gel Saddle, Ti handelbar.

Submitted by Mike Robinson a Racer from Victoria, B.C., Canada

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2000

Strengths:    This hardtail handles singletrack awesomely. It absorbs a lot of the smaller bumbs and vibrations that a steel frame misses and an aluminum frame amplifies. I have read other reviews where people only think it's climbing abilities are average, I have to disagree, I have ridden with a lot of elite riders that can kick my butt over the long haul and are very good technically, but when we hit a very hard rocky, rooty, steep uphill, I can stay in the saddle while they get off and walk. The trick is to keep your butt low and stay there. I don't know how many people have heard of Vancouver Island but we have the best singletrack in Canada, and the top mountainbikers in Canada are from Victoria on southern Vancouver Island. Believe me we have the stuff.

Weaknesses:    I find the Hei Hei to be a little hard to turn sharp on steep, slow, downhills, and I don't like the drag of the rear brake guide tube that passes the seat tube.

Bottom Line:
This bike is for someone who likes a smooth ride but doesnt want a full suspension. If you want an awesome all around cross country bike that does everything, this is the machine that can do it if you can. The only limits are set by the rider.

Favorite Trail:   LSD (Lick my Severed Dick)

Submitted by Shoreboy a Downhiller from Vancouver BC

Date Reviewed: March 17, 1999

Strengths:
Frame is strong as fuck, yet flexes to give a responsive ride that follows the fall line of descents and absorbs small vibrations and shifts in your center of gravity to allow more controlled riding. The bike is quite lite, even with a Shore setup (which consists of a heavy tires that allow for low psi and less pinch flats - ie Kujos, and components that sometimes sacrifice weight for strength). Shore riding is more like trials riding mated with downhill riding, so the bike takes an amazing amount of abuse - read: steel and aluminum bikes break on regualar basis if not fully suspended up here.

Weaknesses:
Some people feel less superior to riders of the Hei Hei.

Bottom Line:
This is the sweetest ride I have ever had, and that saying something having ridden as many bikes as I have.

GMG