Kona Cinder Cone Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.47/5 (94 Reviews)

Kona Cinder Cone

Submitted by Roy Dade

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2012

Strengths:    Light, just wants to be ridden, quality components, mix of Suntour (chainset), DX and XT, Mavic rims.

Bottom Line:
Bought in 2011 after it had been sat in a back yard for 10 years, inner cables rusted otherwise all original. Replaced cables and tyres and after a quick set up back on the road and off!

Love this bike, just feels perfectly balanced, climbs easily, a classic! Never leave it unlocked!

Submitted by LJ101 a Weekend Warrior from Manila, Philippines

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2010

Strengths:    geometry works, fork is plush enough for XC use yet stiff enough for single track.

Weaknesses:    probably not the lightest but other than that none that i can find.

Bottom Line:
best HT i've owned. use this mostly for single track and its just awesome. i only upgraded the parts just so i get matching components but the OEM components worked quite well. this one a keeper!

Favorite Trail:   Philip's Sanctuary

Purchased At:   Bikezilla

Similar Products Used:   Giant XTC, Giant Rainier

Bike Setup:   Kona Cinder Cone 17" frame, RS Tora SL 100mm Frok (OEM)Shimano SLX FD, RD, Crank, Shifters & Brakes, Truvativ Stylo Flat Bar, Stem & Seat Post, Truvativ Hussefelt Pedals, Shimano Deore Cogs & Hubs, Alex Rim XD-Lite rims.

Submitted by elmodog a Cross Country Rider from wellington somerset england

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2009

Strengths:    1998 model...superb handling/ stability on single track or road, great ride

Weaknesses:    stock wheels/tyres, but thats nitpicking

Bottom Line:
i upgraded to explosiv but its just not the same ride feel and i regret to this day selling my steel cinder cone, it just felt inspiring to ride and if i could find another bike that rides the same i would snap it up.this was a case of the grass is greener on the other side........

Similar Products Used:   1999 kona explosiv..1993 lavadome

Bike Setup:   stock mostly

Submitted by cindercone a Cross Country Rider from Dallas, TX USA

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2008

Strengths:    Great value for the $$ - This is my first real mountain bike. I'm 6' 240lbs. and this bike is getting me into the best shape of my life. It fit perfect with little set up. Hydraulic disk brakes work great.

Weaknesses:    None that I'm aware of. Maybe the original tires, but that is probably me.

Bottom Line:
This bike always delivers and is a joy to ride. I'm glad the 2008 Cinder Cone was my first "real" mountain bike. For anyone still looking at Wal-mart specials...step up and get a real mountain bike. You'll be glad you did.

Favorite Trail:   North Shore

Purchased At:   Blue Bonnet Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Pacifica, Mongoose

Bike Setup:   Original except for a pair of Ergon GP1 grips and some egg beaters for efficient peddling.

Submitted by Henry Pos from Alliston, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2008

Strengths:    Good brakes & tire combo allow for great handling at almost any angle or terrain. Solid frame for an XC bike.

Weaknesses:    Saddle is a bit stiff & uncomfortable after a while. Forks not quite what it could have been.

Bottom Line:
This is the most tankin' XC bike i've ever riddin, and for the price u know what I mean. After riding a Wahoo and then taking one of these puppies for spin, I wondered what I was ever doing on any other bike. The first season I had it all I wanted to do was see what it could do on every trail I know. My verdict, it'll do pretty much anything you want it to do. From leg numbing climbs to rough downhill terrain, this machine can take it.

Favorite Trail:   The Bruce

Purchased At:   KAMIKAZE

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Wahoo

Bike Setup:   WTB Jaxon V Saddle, WTB Weirwolf compound trail grips, Marzzochi MZ Super Comp Fork, Hayes Sole Hydraulic Disc Brakes

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from West Chester, PA USA

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2006

Strengths:    This is my first, and will not be my last Kona bike. I bought this one to replace my GT TerraQuesta which was stolen. What a nice bike the Cinder Cone is. I am a big rider (+225 lbs) and I beat the snot out of this bike and it has yet to let me down. Despite V-brakes, the control on downhills is percise and predictable. The frame is strong and the tire/wheel combination is great. I am still impressed that I have had only one flat in 3 years (and that was due to a branch sticking out of a log). Overall, I feel this bike outperforms many of more expensive bikes that my friends ride. It's light weight and very responsive when I need it to be, yet built like a brick outhouse when it's supposed to be. The front suspension keeps taking a beating and never blinks. Reliable, honest and rugged!!!

Weaknesses:    No disk brakes available on my model. They became standard equipment the following year.

Bottom Line:
I thought $850 USD was alot to pay for a bike in 2003 but it proved to be money well-sent. My brother rides a Trek and my other brother rides a Christina and paid much more for their bikes. I am always in better control and have less trouble with my Kona then the two of them combined. This Cinder Cone had proven to be a very reliable bike with just the normal wear-and-tear maintenance required to keep me flying down the trails for years to come.

Favorite Trail:   Brandywine Creek State Parks

Bike Setup:   Original except I use Panaracer tires and Ritchey V-brake pads

Submitted by Phil a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2005

Strengths:    I've owned my 1990 model Cindercone since 1995,when i bought it secondhand for £220.It was totally original and still is apart from the gearset and rims-i split the rear rim this year at the join.I have used this offroad and it is so precise with its control along the trails its lovely.Project 2 forks give it a real solid feel and makes you work hard tackling the trails.

Weaknesses:    The rear rim split at the join for no reason other than age i think,they were narrow rims with Porcupine tyres that had been on the bike since i purchased it.had to replace the whole gearset as everything had been on there for so long it had all worn together,and fitting just a chain,or rear cassette would have it jumping and mis shifting,but credit to suntour,it had lasted since 1990 through to 2004 without a single glitch.Amazing!(only wanted to replace chain for extra reliability going offroad which is how i found out the wear problem with the gearing)

Bottom Line:
I cannot see myself ever parting company with my 1990 Cindercone,i have owned her for the past 10years and she has never let me down,no other bike i have owned has come close to the amazing,direct steering,instant drive when you pedal,and the satisfaction when you tear along a trail and you flick her left and right,carving your own path along the forest trail,feeling all the tree roots and stones you pass over trying to navigate a route to the end! Its a brilliant bike and one that KONA should be proud of! Keep the splatter paint job on them and be ready for the big beaming smile when you use it as it was intended!!!

Favorite Trail:   Eartham to whiteways,West Sussex

Similar Products Used:   Kona Koa-Lovely bike.Has been my trusty steed for offroading over the past year,bought frame on ebay and built up with lx gearing,rolf wheels,rockshoc duke xc front sus fork.One of the best bikes i have owned to date(1997 model)25.6lb weight. Burnt orange colour.
GT i-drive comp-heavy full suspension bike,lowest in the i-drive range,but have been offroad today and it performed faultlessly! have my Duke xc's on the front.30.6lb weight.

Bike Setup:   Shimano Exage rear derailleur(from mates Marin Bear Valley)
Lx front derailleur,Suntour XCD front crank(original one bike came with and also bottom bracket,perfectly smooth!!!)
Shimano 8 speed shifters,Deore v-brakes and levers,rolf 24rear and 20 front spoke black rims,still original splatter paint job frame,project 2 forks(had rockshox XC 50mm travel forks but reverted back to 2lb weight P2's!.
original seat post,handlebars.

Submitted by Martin Archer a Weekend Warrior from Bicester, UK

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2005

Strengths:    Cinder Cone - it rewrote the book on serious mountain bikes.I still own and use my 1990 Cone (first model - white paint with red/blue splatter) and love it every time I throw an ageing leg over it. I've read most of the other reviews here and many superlatives are used to describe how this puppy handles. None of them come close. Sublime. Yes, that's it. Sublime handling, feel, comfort. All these things and more. On the loose stuff it's, well, alive. Can't describe it any other way.

Weaknesses:    None to think of.

Bottom Line:
Nothing more to say beyond what's been said above! I love this bike. In the history of mountain biking it's undoubtedly one of the most significant bikes ever made. If ever they opened an "MTB Hall of Fame", this bike should be the first one you see after paying your entrance fee. So often copied but hardly ever matched. Kona rules.

Favorite Trail:   Mt Snowdon in Wales

Purchased At:   Somewhere in London

Similar Products Used:   My other ride is a 1994 Manitou FS frameset with XT/XTR, Middleburn cranks, Pace rings, Ringle, Hope, White, Ritchey Logic, Club Roost, X-Lite, lots more. It's got loads of grin factor, but somehow just doesn't quite equal that of my Cone.

Bike Setup:   I've changed much of the bike's running gear over the years but always kept the original Suntour Xpress under-bar shifters - simply the best shifters ever, and years ahead of Shimano at the time. Maybe even today too. Also kept the original Suntour 3-finger levers - again, one of the best levers ever. Suntour were so underrated! It's looking in need of some TLC so planning to rebuild as close to original spec as I can. Real "old skool". I still have the original Project II forks in the original paint scheme so it's either those or the refurb'ed Manitou I sussies I still have. Anyone know where I can get some replacement stickers for a 1990 Cinder Cone?

Submitted by Paul Brennan a Weekend Warrior from Aberdeen, Grampian, UK

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2004

Strengths:    Weight, handling, feel & reliability

Weaknesses:    those bontrager rims that came with it and those kone race lite brakes

Bottom Line:
I bought the bike in 1996, raced it for two seasons untill a mate crashed in front of me and it took a few years to get back up to speed, still feels as good to ride to day as when new. Only my old bones complain, great for urban warfare, and likes to jump. I'm 6ft3" and the 18" fits like a dream. Keep the north shore going.....

Favorite Trail:   disapearing downhill

Purchased At:   Alpine Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Rocky mountain hammer

Bike Setup:   Bontarger race lite bar, barends, hope hubs, ringle skewers, V brakes, flight saddle

Submitted by Paul Brennan a Weekend Warrior from Aberdeen, Grampian, UK

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2004

Strengths:    Weight, handling, feel & reliability

Favorite Trail:   disapearing downhill

Purchased At:   Alpine Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Rocky mountain hammer

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from St. Louis, IL USA

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2004

Strengths:    Good value, tough little bike. Love the paint job on my '02

Weaknesses:    Pedals had to go, seat can be a bit harsh if you spend a lot of time in the saddle.

Bottom Line:
I've been very pleased with this bike from day one. Does a great job while commuting or urban assult style rides. Single track isn't a problem on this machine either. After riding pretty hard for a year, I still haven't managed to break anything... that has to count for something! An all-around solid XC bike.

Favorite Trail:   Matson Hill, MO

Purchased At:   Touring Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Trek Alum frame bikes

Bike Setup:   Added: Rhino Lite wheelset w/Shimano XT disc hubs, Shimano 324 clipless pedals, Avid 185mm Mechanical disc brakes front and rear.

Submitted by Elliot Kleiman a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2003

Strengths:    The Forks are awesome. Oh my God this bike rips. The front and rear brakes on the 2003 cinder cone are so awesome.

Weaknesses:    The stock seat is kinda tough. You gotta get a gel seat; but I think thats standard with bikes these days.

Bottom Line:
The 2003 cinder cone is really a great buy. Not only does it look good, but it rides awesome. With the forks its so easy to do bunny hops, wheelies, and just really attack terrain at high speeds. Plus, it climbs really well for me. I love it.

Favorite Trail:   La Jolla

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   I test rode all kinds of diff brands, after I rode the Kona bikes I was sold.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by nick a Weekend Warrior from Cape Town

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2003

Strengths:    bullet proof! 8 years and going strong (still has the original headset - smooth as butter)

Weaknesses:    Onto my third set of shocks. The original marzocchis weren't bad, the rst's I replaced them with were crap, and my new rockshox duke xc's are awesome!

Bottom Line:
been thinking for a while about upgrading, but after a few hours in the dirt with old faithful I wonder why I even considered it. New shocks this year revived her. I get some funny looks from the youngsters when they see my old thumbshifters, but I club most of them in the races so who cares?!

Similar Products Used:   diamond back, trek 8000, giant yukon

Bike Setup:   titec ti bars and kevlar saddle, mavic 231 rims (7 years of abuse and still true), onza pedals, hutchinson python gold tyre, duke xc shocks

Submitted by Kurt Luneburg a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2003

Strengths:    The value of the bike was good, especially when I bought it in 1991. This was one of the first Cinder Cones for sale (in my area) and represented really good value compared to the other bikes in its price range. Vitually indestructable.

Weaknesses:    The Suntour (the what?) XCD components. Everybody has gone Shimano and while I have had no problems with the original components, when it comes time to fix something, parts are not available.

Bottom Line:
This bike has been great. I have ridden this bike for 12 years with the original equipment (except as noted). While I'm not particularly rough, I don't treat the bike like it's made out of glass (plenty of scatches to prove it). The bike has held up well. The Kona has been relegated to commutor duty for the past few years, and with slicks on it moves. While not as quick as my road bike it is much more comfotable and with the pot holes here it is like riding single track! Overall very impressed. I know I'll have to replace the drive train soon as it is getting tired but the frame is still holding out. 4 for value due to Suntour and 5 for overall because it is still going strong after 12 years. Try that with a cheapo bike.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere I can get wet and muddy