Kona '95 Sex One Bike 1998 or Older

3.86/5 (7 Reviews)

Kona '95 Sex One

Submitted by Scott

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2013

Strengths:    Rides great. Looks great.

Bottom Line:
I am happy to own a 1995 Kona Sex One . I bought it because i thought that it would be fun to ride on trails ,and roads as well. I came across the bike on Ebay.I loved what i saw. It had a different look about it , than other mountain bikes i had seen before. The fact that it was built in the fairly early days of full suspension,gives it a slightly unique shape. The tubes are a rounded pipe 7005 aluminum , which just appears so much different than the shaped tubes that came out a bit later. The rear shock is pivoted and nearly parallel to the top tube . It connects to the Cromoly rear triangle. The bike is nicely crafted .The Ebay seller had replaced all the components with Shimano.He also replaced the chain rings. It has a newer handlebar too. If you come across one that is in good shape and not too expensive:get it. It will last forever if properly taken care of ,and it will be a good looking friend to you indefinately.

Submitted by Xjaddiction a Weekend Warrior from Nashville, Tn. USA

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2011

Strengths:    I've been riding this bike for 17 yrs. I've rebuilt it once. Ready to do it again, but it still rides so good. Killer frame design, just enough suspension for decent drops. Climbs well, and the sweet spot rush of a straight ST. The bike will just scream when I hang just of the back of saddle un weighting the front on a straight. The rear wheel digs in and... well its just an awesome experience. My friends with the newer style multi pivot FS bikes are left in the dust when the Kona gets in the zone like that.

Weaknesses:    Marzochii shocks. They are long gone now for a rear rock shock coilover, and a front Manitou.

Bottom Line:
For the serious weekend XC rider, there isn't a bike out there that compares, I think. Bullet Proof, stable in the twisties, and tight tree trails. great fast down hiller, and excellent climber.And that sweet spot on a tree lined straight. The bike is just rediculous. I will always LOVE it!

Favorite Trail:   Hamilton Creak

Purchased At:   Sun Sport. No longer

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Specialized, Jamis (much like the Kona), Cannondale.

Bike Setup:   Old school "V" brakes, Manitou front shock, Rock Shock coilover, Chris King head set, the original grip shift... seriously. the bike has several thousand miles on it. Original Mavic rims.

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from seattle

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2010

Strengths:    This is a follow up on my "Eric Shew" review of the Kona Sex One..1996 4-bar rear suspension. This bike is STILL going strong, I have successfully replaced every part on the bike aside from the gripshift shifters and front derailuer due to use and this bike still RIPS! I'm running a 4" travel marzocchi with a newer Fox Float R. Just put on a set of LX cranks hollow tech II cranks and a HAyes disc up front... this bike still has ALOT of life left in it.

Weaknesses:    None aside from the original rear shock and curve brakes...and other stuff that you might want to replace.

Bottom Line:
This bike has been going strong for 14 years thus far, havent thrown alot of money into it, just a bit every other year or two or three, dont worry about the latest frame, material, technology, & hype, just take time and figure out how to fit a bike to your needs and then dont replace it till you can break it.... you'll have alot of really good bikes for your friends to ride plus they dont take up that much space in the garage.

Favorite Trail:   Galbraith, Bellingham WA

Purchased At:   Portland bike shop 1

Similar Products Used:   After my first review I gave up on trying to brake the frame and now have a Kona Bear & Stinky Primo as well as this little bike

Bike Setup:   01 Marz Z3 qr20, Rhyno lite rims w/ XT hubs. HAyes front disc, XT rear V-brake. Rear Fox Float R. LX hollow tech 2 crank.

Submitted by Chris K. a Cross Country Rider from Banff, Alberta Canada

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2003

Strengths:    Brakes, not to heavy. Smooth for how much travel the whole thing has.

Weaknesses:    Creaking noise in the crank, Shimano chain sucks, Rear Marzocchi shock sucks, Judy shock just had overhaul but still pretty crappy.

Bottom Line:
Good entry level bike. My first full suspension, chain has broken 3 times. I fell into a hole and the derailer broke apart and the alivio crank is heavy. If you find it cheap buy but if not save your money for something better. 4 Chili's for the price; pretty good.

Favorite Trail:   Stony Squaw

Purchased At:   Ski Swap

Similar Products Used:   Kona Roast, Stinky, Cannondale F800, Specialized Big Hit only rode for a few hours though. Friends bikes.

Bike Setup:   Shimano clipless, alivio cranks, XT brakes and derailers, Raceface seatpost, cheap stem

Submitted by Eric Shew a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2002

Strengths:    Takes drops fairly well for such little rear travel.
The frame hasn't broken yet.

Weaknesses:    Curve products suck
Stem was too short
Did I mention all Curve products suck?
Destroyed my rear rim 4 days ago.

Bottom Line:
I've had this bike for a LONG time. I've replaced many things but the frame still seems strong. With a 4" for in the front and a set of decent brakes and rims you can thrash on it hard. I am enjoying this bike more then ever. I can't wait to bust this frame so I can get another KONA!

Purchased At:   Some place in Portland, OR

Similar Products Used:   Had a GT Richtor 8.0

Bike Setup:   Marzochi Bomber Z3 QR20
Mavic 521 DH F-R
Setup for mild freeride, no more then 5 foot drops yet.

Submitted by Adam a Weekend Warrior from Easthampton, MA USA

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2000

Strengths:    4 bar linkage, relative light weight, plush (for 2.5 in travel), cost, isolates pedaling forces pretty well (not to much bobing)

Weaknesses:    Plain bearing bushings, Preload only adjust rear shock, short travel, some dated aspects of design such as short top uube by year 2000 standards

Bottom Line:
The Sex One has been great. I ride about 40 off road miles per week and haven't had problems with it at all. I paid $125 for the frame that had never been built up. I sawed the funky rear cantaliver break thing off and toutched it up. Built up with my 99 group it weighs around 27 lbs. Not to bad considering I could probably get it down to 25 lbs. if I built it up like Gary Fischers 2.5 inch travel Suger 1, with XTR. I dont think that there are a hell of a lot of diffrences in 4 bar linkages. It clibs better than my last riged bike as it trackes better and there is less wheel slip on bumpy rocky root covered New England trails.

A good rider on a mediocer bike will still kick ass on a mediocer rider on a good bike. Ride more, worry less. Investin your legs, lungs and skills.

Favorite Trail:   The one's I ride