Klein Pulse Race Bike 1998 or Older

4.9/5 (42 Reviews)

Klein Pulse Race

Submitted by cikman22jp a Weekend Warrior from PG

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2009

Strengths:    Simple, Light, Rear tail is pretty tough. Cable arrangement is great.

Weaknesses:    Nothing..but someone might say it doesn't have the RD hanger.. ow c'mon no body have that hanger 12 years ago.

Bottom Line:
I like that geometry!!!

Favorite Trail:   (anywhere goes)

Bike Setup:   Rockshox, Shimano Deore LX to XT mix.

Submitted by ala.frosty a Racer from Bethesda, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2008

Strengths:    Lightweight and sturdy frame. The guy who sold it to me was just looking to get rid of it as he won a lottery or something, so I got a screaming deal on a 1997 Pulse Race in 2001. He thought it needed a new chain, but I've been riding it for the last seven years and it's worked just fine!

Weaknesses:    Deraileur ratcheting mechanism doesn't line up very well and is just about impossible to adjust correctly.

Bottom Line:
Old school these days, but I keep up with a lot of guys on road bikes that are simply amazed that a guy on a mountain bike can keep up with them. I pass most people on the trail, but every once in a while someone on a skinny-tire road bike will clean my clock.

I've owned dozens of bikes over the years and this one is the lightest and almost the sturdiest. The ultra-sturdy one weighed about fifty pounds and seemed to have motorcycle style front suspension. That was around 1978. I destroyed every other bicycle I've owned in less than three years of riding and even managed to destroy another fifteen speed road bike while the Klein kept on keeping up.

Favorite Trail:   Mount Vernon

Purchased At:   Used

Submitted by Tom Eriksen a Cross Country Rider from Stockholm, Sweden

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2000

Strengths:    The frame is ideal if you're not into the dead feeling of aluminium but still want the stiffness. The geometry is simply perfect. It's feels nearly as perfect as on my custom racer.

Weaknesses:    The Spyder fork sucks big-time and doesn't belong on a serious mtn bike like this one. The rest of the components are cheap but very reliable.

Bottom Line:
One of the best deals from 1998. Klein cut the price by letting TREKs sweat shop to wield the frame while keeping the same characteristics as on the attitude. A classic.

Favorite Trail:   Hellas

Purchased At:   Cyklig

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8500, Cannondale M700, Gary Fishers, Crescents

Bike Setup:   Replaced the Icon pedals with some shimanos upon delivery.

Submitted by MTB Biker a Weekend Warrior from USA

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2000

Strengths:    Everything

Weaknesses:    Components, Klien needs to put componenets on their bikes that are up to par with their frames

Bottom Line:
Great bike stuck with poor components, but if you splurge a little on XT and XTR than you can have a great quality bike underneath you!

Favorite Trail:   Schtick IT

Similar Products Used:   Nothin'

Bike Setup:   Spyder shock, XTR rear derallur, XT front, STX RC everything else, some bontrager

Submitted by Skiver a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: June 23, 1999

Strengths:
Powerful energy transfers due to the short stays.

Weaknesses:
Poor selection of componentry.... my shifters broke during the test ride!

Bottom Line:
GOOD STUFF! I bought the bike on a sweet super deal(and the busting of my shifters on the test ride got me an even better one!) Anyhow, the bike awesome as the power transfers are incredible. Climbing is a breeze and control is excellent. However, the top tube is a little lengthy for me, so shorter stems are in order. If Klein could do something, its changing the components. But stilll..... KUDOS to Gary!

Love em all!

Marin IFT,Bobcat Trail.

SC Heckler with Palmers,full XT.

Submitted by Steve a Cross-Country Rider from Reno, NV

Date Reviewed: June 13, 1999

Strengths:
XTR RD
Klein geometry

Weaknesses:
STX FD
fixed RD hanger

Bottom Line:
Sweet bike, climbs like you wouldn't believe, corners nice and tight, light for the cash. Came with @#$@ icon peddles that promptly broke, but the shop swapped them out for bontrager RE-1's that work great. All around great bike now, five flaming electric cellos for this one.

Lockwood

Submitted by Andy Sneddon a Cross-Country Rider from Lytham, Lancashire, UK

Date Reviewed: June 7, 1999

Strengths:
Stiff fast frame
decent componentry

Weaknesses:
except the bloody rock shox indy forks

Bottom Line:
two very happy years spent on (and occasionally falling off) a very good bike. The frame is awesome, just the non replacable rear hanger to worry about if you wipe out big style. Many of the original parts have now been replaced, first to go were the forks which I found very sketchy; they never seemed to go quite where you wanted them but since upgrading to 98 Marzocchi Z3 Bam Lites the improvement has been huge. Added x-lite riser bars for all-day comfort and Hope front disc brakes to get you out of those oh sh*tsituations.Thinking of going for a Marin full sus to give the arse a rest after two years but it'll be a real wrench to let this baby go.

Yorkshire Dales

2 Years

Submitted by Julie a Weekend Warrior from Redondo Beach, CA

Date Reviewed: April 10, 1999

Strengths:
Awesome frame. Very light. Excellent handling.

Weaknesses:
Front STX derailer and LX brakes. Average front shocks.

Bottom Line:
Since this is my first mountain bike, I could not have asked for anything more. This bike is great for a beginner because of the excellent handling and the solid components, and as I improve, I feel that this bike will not need many upgrades. The frame's set-up with the low toptube gives me added confidence on the downhills and technical singletracks. The bike climbs like a mountain goat even for someone who is just getting into mountain biking. The first components that I will upgrade are the front STX derailer and the LX brakes. Otherwise, I have no complaints. This bike was definitely a great find for the $739 that I paid!

Sycamore Canyon

Specialized Stumpjumper.

Manitou Spyder shock. XTR real derailer. LX brakes. STX front derailer.

Submitted by Brad a Racer from NH

Date Reviewed: April 7, 1999

Strengths:
This is an incredible bike. It handles like nothing before! It is sooo light with excellent components. If I could, I would give it a ten!

Weaknesses:
NONE!

Bottom Line:
It kicks ASS!

Mt. Livermore

less than 1 month

Submitted by Sammy Tan a cross-country rider from Singapore

Date Reviewed: March 10, 1999

Bottom Line:

You could say I have grown up since the days of my late teens...day dreaming of owning a Klein. It was a rare sight in Singapore back then and from day one..Klein has one thing going for it...the colour,paint job and look is nothing short of 'TRICK' and the ride..something I had heard so much about regardless of whether it was the high end models to the entry level ones. By the time I got my career going and enough spare molas to throw..did I then decided to once and for all submit to my dreams and buy a Klein! It was a hard choice between the Rascal, Pulse and the Fervor...these were the best for racing...I end up with a Pulse..the first Pulse the one with internal cabling and a brass emblem..AND the same weight as a Adroit (2.9pounds)From that day forward..I never looked back...it was everything I have read about all these years and the performance is nothing short of amazing. As you may have guess it is still with me after all this time from riding the streets to long trip into Malaysia country side. I took everything I threw at it and still beg for more. I never was a good climber..bad knees you see, but that pulse made me look good..it was alot easier to climb...without the use of much 'light toys' like titanium parts (except for my extra 1998 light spinergy wheels hubs and 99 XTR cogs)I still mannaged to keep the weight to a respectable 23 pounds! ( I made a mental calculation of parts I could now change to lighter components..I could get this bike down to 20 to 21 pounds) BUT! I think that is another story and if I have more molas to rationalised that dream to materialised beside I like the weight as it is...I am a 1.81m tall rider and am abit plump till I recently lost weight due to diabete2 (bummer) I think the wieght ration is just about right ;) But given my medical condition...I need that much more excercise and I think I will be working that Klein Pulse jus that little bit more ;) And I am confident it will be the last thing to let me down. I love my Klein and you will too! Bet your bottom dollar on that! I own a Teal Green model...the paint job itself and finishing is worth the price of the frame! I have tried numerous 'branded frames' but nothing came close for me at least. Personally I love Tinker Juarez when he was racing a Klein I still do but I think he would have won more races if he was still riding a klein ;)))) 5 HOT CHILLIES TO GO!!!

Submitted by Dave a weekend warrior from Pittsburgh, PA

Date Reviewed: February 25, 1999

Bottom Line:

I bought my '97 Pulse Race in July '98 for only $750. Great deal for a 3.4 lb frame with decent components. So far, no components have broke, and the wheels haven't even needed trueing, even after many weekends of serious singletrack throughout Western PA and West Virginia. Indy XC o.k., although turned rigid on my last ride (25 degrees F). Great bike, will upgrade when I get the money.

Submitted by Jim Boswell a racer from dublin, oh

Date Reviewed: February 15, 1999

Bottom Line:

Got rid of a dangerous, crappy Cannondale (what junk!) and bought the
Pulse Race. I couldn't ask for anything better, even at twice the price.
This bike is worth minutes over any long course. Plus you can do rockwalks,
back wheel hops, all of my old BMX tricks. Speaking of BMX, I cleared a ten
foot set (horizontal, NOT vertical ;-) )of doubles on this thing. A couple things have failed under the abuse given by a 265-lb downhilling rider---
the front derailleur, the chain, and the headset. For some reason, the Indy XC
is doing ok!?If only there were six chili's. After being burned by so much junk, it's
great to get a bike like this.

Submitted by mad munchie a weekend warrior from SM, CA

Date Reviewed: January 20, 1999

Bottom Line:

My pulse klein race red
A bike no one can dread
Climbs over rocks, over mountains, relentless
Like an everest hiker, steady and tirelessDownhill, it's another story
My klein flies as if to some unknown glory
Tough and fearless infinitely
Overcomes all obstacles, even a speed bump, effortlesslySure it's no carbon fiber nor ti
And the seat's a little padded and wide
No delusions, no Attitude, I realize
But near perfection, nevertheless, can anyone deny?The name rascal it will claim
A future without any fame
Still can't imagine a life without my klein
This true beauty of mine

Submitted by Bret Watson a weekend warrior from Yarmouth, Maine

Date Reviewed: December 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

Have a Pulse Race '97 that I bought for $1100 with an XT rear upgrade. Upon reading the reviews, I may have paid too much, but I like the bike although I also loved my '88 Stumpjumper. It is very stiff, perfect for someone my size (5-10, 195). The bike's geometry spreads me out over the entire bike, is unique and it is very nimble in tricky situations. It does get a little finicky in the mud, especially the chain-suck that continually occurs in the clay-filled soil of Maine. Will upgrade to XTR front and rear in near future as well as better quality chain. Indy shock does not do a guy my size any justice, so will upgrade as well.

Submitted by Mark a weekend warrior from Madison, WI.

Date Reviewed: December 7, 1998

Bottom Line:

This is a fantastic bike! Picked up my '97 for $700 last spring. Put clipless on it and upgraded to XTR(rear), XT(front) and it rides like a dream! Fast, agile, very capable. Not thrilled with the Indy XC so that will get replaced this winter, but no complaints about the bike itself. This will be my ride of choice for many years to come!

What kind of bike do I need? (Looking at 98 Klein Pulse Race)

I'm looking into buying a bike to commute to college. Here are a couple of things. First of all I have to take the bike on ice and snow, the commute is about 0.75 miles away. It snows a lot during the winter and I'll bike back at around 12am some days which means ice is on the road. Second of all I ... Read More »

Thoughts on 1998 Klein Pulse Race.

I am on the lookout for a cheap(ish) backup bike and came across a 1998 Klein Pulse Race in an ad . A lot of the original kit is replaced but wheels, shifters and brakes seem to be stock. Fork is swapped to a rigid Surly Instigator (which seems a bit tall from the one pic I have). Intended us ... Read More »

Klein Pulse Race Shock

I need a new shock. The original Manitou shock that came with it (1997) is shot. What shocks do you suggest I get/what fits? Thanks in advance.:)Read More »

Need help with Klein Pulse Race serial #

Can anyone id this frame for me? It appears to be a 1998 Pulse Race but I don't know what I'm looking at when it comes to the serial #. If you can id it please let me know how to break down the serial # so I can id another frame. Thanks for your help. Tim [IMG][/IMG]Read More »

stolen klein pulse race, ann arbor

i had a bike stolen this week. please keep an eye out: Distinctive Features: 1997 klein pulse race, red, 17" indy xc fork, white with red bright yellow nuke proof stem bright yellow seat it was stolen from UMich campus in Ann Arbor. please keep an eye out locally for me, as i'm not in th ... Read More »