Klein Mantra Comp Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.56/5 (169 Reviews)

Klein Mantra Comp Bike

Submitted by GiantMountainTroll a Weekend Warrior from Chattanooga, TN U.S.

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2012

Strengths:    Strong frame, reasonably light, Good suspension. I love the fox vanilla rear. also looks awesome. No other bike like this one and it gets more attention on trails than my friends new fs trek.

Weaknesses:    Outdated parts, brakes are kind of played out. other than that its a great bike.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike from a friend for a great deal. It belonged to his uncle that passed and the bike was just collecting dustt. Bike looks like its been ridden no more than 3 time so it was a steal! Retailed for way more back in 98 and was advanced for its time. Keeps up with new expensive bike like nothing.

Purchased At:   Friend

Submitted by altern8nrg a Cross Country Rider from New Kensington, PA USA

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2008

Strengths:    Frame/simple suspension design, quick handling/ride characteristics- smoothes out technical ST, bombproof stock wheel set, paint finish

Weaknesses:    Stock Manitou elastomer forks suck, overall weight, heavy stock wheel set

Bottom Line:
11 Full years of cross country riding $1500 original price, Same $ in upgrades- WELL WORTH EVERY PENNIE! Keep in mind I do not race. Although, I have become a very strong intermediate to advanced technical cross country rider who can blaze some serious trails. Great frame never a problem, excellent BB clearance. Keeps up with and performs with the best of all the expensive new bikes and designs and the new 29rs on all the technical singletrack you can throw at it. Quick, responsive, climbs very well, never notice the weight, great lateral stiffness. Upgrades have only enhanced all of the best ride characteristics Quicker, more responsive. Keep it clean, tuned, sit-n-spin, flow-n-go... if you find a decent one, well kept or collecting dust BUY IT if you ride cross country only- not for dirt jumps, mountain parks/north shore, big hit or trials riding style!

Favorite Trail:   Roaring Run, Apollo, PA

Purchased At:   Washington State Cyc

Similar Products Used:   2002 Klein Adept Race

Bike Setup:   Stock 1997 Mantra Comp for nearly 11 years except for 2000 Manitou Mars air/coil (very light 2.9 lbs) fork upgrade completed in 2002. Recent full upgrade early in summer 2008 Bontrager race light stem and carbon riser bar, ODI lock on grips, new avid cheapo brake levers/stock V-brakes and Kool Stop pads, XTR 9sp shifters and front der., XT 760 crankset and rear der., SRAM PL970 chain, new cables, Mavic Crossland UST tubeless with Bontrager Jones dual compound/Stans sealant. Stock Fox Vanilla -oil damped coil, believe it or not...

Submitted by Bruce Halliburton a Weekend Warrior from Alexandria, Va.

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2007

Strengths:    LOOKS, Climbing

Weaknesses:    downhill is kinda scary.

Bottom Line:
Bought new in 98, handles great...downhill is a different story.

Purchased At:   College Park Bikes

Similar Products Used:   GT, Trek, Univega, Proflex

Bike Setup:   XT everything, Mavic, Raceface

Submitted by Joel Devich a Cross Country Rider from Wilmington, DE, USA

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2006

Strengths:    Very responsive rear shock, Love the Fox Vanlla, Nice looking bike gets a lot of attention, good fit for tall riders, light weight, strong frame

Weaknesses:    The stock Manitou Pro C forks suck, little to no travel, some ghost shifting early, but was fixed at 1st tune-up, other than that NOTHING!!!

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike! I have had it since Aug of 1997. Yeah over 9 years!!! I have never had a problem with this bike. The comp is the low end model and does have some cheaper components, but nothing that is to hard to replace. The stock Manitou Pro C forks SUCK and should be upgraded. Im planning to upgrade them soon. Also since this is a pre-disk brake frame im still running the V-brakes. I have found a kit that will convert any bike to a disk set-up http://www.therapycomponents.com/conversion.htm
Some people have had problems with the bike cracking a breaking at the rear end. I ride this bike hard im 6'1" and 180lbs, I jump off big jumps, off 4'-6' drop offs, do downhill riding (nothing to serious), bunny hop, wheelie, endo, and still have not had a crack or break in 9 years. Anyone who broke this bike must have done something wrong. Im planning to upgrade this bike extensively opposed to buying the newest wallet drain out there, this bike has been there and been great for 9 years and after the upgrades im sure that I will be riding it in another 9 years.

Favorite Trail:   Too many to count

Purchased At:   Bike Line Wilmington DE

Similar Products Used:   Trek Y frame, Cannondale Raven, and a few hardtails

Bike Setup:   All stock except for an upgraded handle bars Bontrager Crowbar

Submitted by Jay Davis a Cross Country Rider from The Windy City

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2003

Strengths:    It's a Klein! It rocks on uphill climbs. Its plush and you never really know how bumpy the terrain is unlike my fellow hard tailers!

Weaknesses:    Ghost shifting was a problem until I figured out how to cut a cable. The local shops just didn't get it!

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike brand new in 97 for $1,200. I never thought it would last 6 years but it is a KLEIN! It has been upgraded to the gills and only keeps getting better. It glides over stumps, rocks and fallen hard tailers like "Budder". Being a 210lbs rider this bike gives the confidence other bikes could never match. I abuse this Berryblast wonder on a regular basis and it never lets me down. If your thinking about buying a used one consider a new fork and rear shock! They make all the dirrence over the stock products! You'll have the craziest slepper in the crowd

Favorite Trail:   Kettle Moraine - Southern Unit

Purchased At:   Local Shop

Similar Products Used:   Fisher Sugar, GT, Trek

Bike Setup:   Race Face-Carbon Cranks & BB. Cloud 9 Rear Shock, Up Front A Rock Shox - Psylo Race (A must),Chris King Head Set, XT,AVID Brakes, Rolf Uraccooooos!!

Submitted by Aaron a Weekend Warrior from Stillwater Oklahoma

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2003

Strengths:    Bike is awesome, what can I say. The full suspension is the best I have ridden. Bike is a beauty to look at and seems to draw attention from everyone I come across.

Weaknesses:    The so-called Ghostshift

Bottom Line:
This bike looks fast sitting still and even faster when flying down the trail. My old carbon fiber couldn't keep up with this thing. The Mantra climbs better than my old hardtail. Upgrading all the components and shocks help greatly from what i understand. I ride singletrack with the Oklahoma State Mountain Biking Team and the bike does great on the trails. The bobbing that I hear people talk about from the f/s can be easily taken care of by adjusting the rear shock. I have also heard people talk about going over the bars from time to time. Well I am 6'4' and the large bike fits me just fine, considering i did put a high rise seat post and a high rise handle bar stem. The bike is great flying down trails and is good for climbing. My dad tried it out one day and liked it so much he is now trying to find one for himself. Now that I have experience the joy of f/s I don't think I would ever go back to a hardtail.

Favorite Trail:   SE Race Trail; Lake McMurtry

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Trek Y-11; Giant Cadex (Carbon Fiber Hardtail)

Bike Setup:   Bontrager Race Rims and Hubs; Manitou SX front shock; Fox Vanilla Float Rear Shock; XTR components.

Submitted by wei from ny ny

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2003

Strengths:    simplicity, quickness, maintence free, graceful look, fun color

Weaknesses:    stock components (almost everyting needs to go), no disc mount for the rear trangle (would be nice, however nobody did for that year anyway)

Bottom Line:
i am not a racer. however i do take riding seriously since it takes a long time to get to a trail from the city. i would say i am about average. during the rides if i didnt clear a section i would at least give it a little study and a second try. i enjoy doing thing well. and i am very happy with my klein.

the stock stx rc rear der snapped in half on me, the shifters got loose later, and then the front stx-rc der hanger went open up, the chain snapped a few times (you have to use sram pc-68, no problem ever since). thus upgrading drive train slowly went on and on in a few little episodes. which explains why i am running 8 speed. a lot of people including lbs techs assured me that 8 spd stuffs are the ones that will last to the end. in fact, i would advise people to swap out the gears in one shot if they are going to ride trails often. my rear xtr der looks pretty bad from hugging too many rocks but it's still tight and very fast and precise.

here are some suggestion to problems other have mentioned, i think most can be fixed:

GHOST SHIFTING: for the first time i noticed the "ghost shifting" problem after a tune up last year. after checking the cable carefully i found out the mid section of housing for r der was too long. after taking out the extra 1/2 inch the problem went away and never came back

BOBBING: one needs time to fine tune the rear shock, once done the bobbing problem would be minimized. i got a cloud 9 for a good deal but i never really used or felt the need to use the semi lock out button. when pedaling off the seat, the little swing gives a little boost hopping the rocks and roots in my little experience.

about DH: someone has mentioned about a riser bar, which i would agree. another option is to get a longer front shock, it works well with me. the stock shock (XC pro in my case) really has to go, i switched to mars carbon and noticed big difference right away. and then Black elite works even better (that shock is not very adjustable and heavy, but it's )

it took some time to gain experience and a perfect setup with this bike, now it climbs quite easily. the saddle squeezing technique others mentioned works great on steep downhills (i actually learned to steer the bike a little with my seat). after upgrading the front shock it jumps even easier. the single beam design provides great clearance and also balance. i was turned on to this bike by hypes and i found out they are true.

i have chance to test a few other fs bikes in the past (fuel, jeryll, epic) and nothing make me feel the desire to switch. i am happy to have something that suits me for the years coming.

happy trails!

Favorite Trail:   stillwell,blue mountain

Similar Products Used:   rocky mountain fanatik, RM soul and some other hardtails

Bike Setup:   small size frame, xtr 8 spd except xt front der, raceface crank, straight bars on 80 mm 0 degree stem, panaracer fire xc pros, cane creek cloud 9 (an upgrade from ad-10, didn't notice much improvement), manitou black elite 80-100, barends, platform spd pedals (the last 3 items adds 1.5 lbs more weight but they are helpful) the bike now is at 27lbs on my bathroom scale but it feels a lot less since it's nicely balanced)

Submitted by kilian weeterings a Cross Country Rider from tilburg

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2002

Strengths:    overall handling, still turns heads everywhere you ride. amazing, come to think of it..

Weaknesses:    rear frame

Bottom Line:
well, in an earlier I had some serious troubles with frame warranty, because of a cracked frame. finally it turned out just fine. I´m still riding the bike, since ´98, and Nothing even comes Close!! after all these years. I´ve ridden the carbon version (year 2000) but it is not as good. that bike is too agile, with en even higher bottom bracket. When the going gets tough, for example high up in the Alps, I like my ´98er best. (and carbon isn´t really gary´s style, I think, so leave that to the trekkies)

to make up for last time: 5 chillies :-)

Favorite Trail:   drunense ^dunes^

Similar Products Used:   mantra carbon

Submitted by kilian weeterings a Cross Country Rider from tilburg

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2002

Weaknesses:    rear frame

Bottom Line:

to make up for last time: 5 chillies :-)

Favorite Trail:   drunense ^dunes^

Similar Products Used:   mantra carbon

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Detroit

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2002

Strengths:    Everything

Weaknesses:    Nothin'

Bottom Line:
This bike is awsesome. I bought it from my brother-in-law and totally rebuilt it for $1200. When it didn't have all the good stuff it was still awesome. Tracks perfectly, flies up and down hills, and its pretty light(I'm not a weight weenie!!). My friend always whines because the wheelbase grows a little when the shock is compressed, but I guess he hasn't felt the love yet, cause it makes up for it in every other aspect. I love it, but it's gettin a little outdated by those new-fangled susension designs, but oh well, I wouldn't give up this beast for anything!!!

Favorite Trail:   Island Lake!!!!

Purchased At:   My brother-in-law

Similar Products Used:   Nothin'

Bike Setup:   Sid Race Carbon, full XTR, CossMax UST, Fox Float RL Monkeylite, 858's, 2.1 Mutano Raptors, EA50 post

Submitted by Mark Converse a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ US

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2002

Strengths:    beautiful paint on a bullit proof frame, low maintenance, single tracks awesome, and climbs great

Weaknesses:    That big beam is open to crash abuse, so it's tough to keep the paint sratch and ding free, rear triangle collects alot of grime so you have to clean a little more often, the cable routing puts the cables in line to collect alot of front tire debris, brake jack when going down hill

Bottom Line:
I agree with all positive things said about the bike. I haven't had any problems with frame durability and I weigh 250lbs. I just moved to AZ from OR so i've made a few changes to suit the desert. I dont know if anyone else had the problem of the cockpit being really stretched out. That was fine for Oregon singletrack but I put on a riser bar and shorter stem plus added a four inch travel fork and have been amazed at the difference in the caracter of the bike. I can rip over some narly stuff with the confidence of a semi-freeride bike.Leaves hardtails eating tire poop

Favorite Trail:   any trail in Bend, OR

Purchased At:   Cycle sport, Medford, OR

Bike Setup:   Stock drivetrain,bontrager riser bar,kore stem,chris king headset,and selle italia trans am seat,marzocchi mxc100ecc

Submitted by Jonathan Udell a Weekend Warrior from Riverton, NJ USA

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2001

Strengths:    Nimble, grip, looks.

Weaknesses:    OTBs, width of pivot joint between knees

Bottom Line:
I'm new to offroad biking, bought the bike used from an MTBR.com seller who got a Mantra Race. The bike is a stunning confidence builder. Very nimble, very plush. Just crank hard and it gets you out of all sorts of trouble. Pretty light for an FSB so it doesn't hurt as much when it lands on top of you. No bike at any price turns more heads. (Ride the boardwalk with a Mantra Comp pulling your kid on a tag-along for real stares.) It is all attitude, but backs it up with a great ride. I will own mine forever.

Favorite Trail:   right up the back of the person in front of me

Purchased At:   used, private sale

Bike Setup:   Stone stock except for Klein Death Grip tires.

Submitted by Ryan Mccrary a Weekend Warrior from Valdosta

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2001

Strengths:    frame geometry, low maintenance, color

Weaknesses:    front shocks need to be changed, make sure you get the newer model rear triangle bike b/c the old ones crack from what I've heard

Bottom Line:
This is an awesome bike. After you ride for a while the front shock needs to be upgraded, but besides that I have had no complaints. I can thrash in the trails or air over the dirtjumps with no problem. Afte a few upgrades this is the best bike I've ever owned. If you don't have one now, go out and find one.

Favorite Trail:   Oconee Heritage Park-Right out of Athens, GA