Klein Attitude Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.86/5 (143 Reviews)

Klein Attitude Bike

Submitted by Ardy brouwer a Racer

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2013

Strengths:    I fell in love at first site with the first Attitude produced and at the time it was light years ahead of any other brand out there. Extremely FAT straight fork and wild paint job for those days. The press fit BB bearing and headset were so extreme that I had the frame in my living room for a month just to look at this piece of art. It emptied my pockets big time. Just the frame at that time (1990) was € 1700.- Hell, it's still a lot of money now for just a frame. The ride is super with loads of control. Stiff as can be and at this point I think it is still impossible to find a frame with this much stiffness to weight ratio.

Weaknesses:    1. The first Attitudes had one flow and that was the seatpost insert. Mine started to crack in the little hole that was supposed to prevent this ever happening. I got a new frame after riding it for couple of years and then bought a pulse which had a front shock geometry.
2. Corrosion around the venting hole near the BB which would make the paint bubble. Got a new frame under warranty.

Bottom Line:
At this point I still have 3 Klein bike of a total of 4 and still ride them all the time. All are true Kleins and not Trek rip offs.
One is a original pulse for front suspension, an Aeolus triathlon bike with 28 wheels size 59cm and an Aeolus 57cm with 26" wheels.

Duration Product Used:   up to 18 years

Purchased At:   Sporthuis Brouwer, C

Similar Products Used:   Klein Pulse
Klein Aeolus 57cm
Klein Aeolus 59cm

Bike Setup:   Pulse --> Shock Manitou Carbon, Kooka cranks + Speedplay frogs Paul's fr. der, XT der. rear, Fr. disc brake Giant, rear Pauls's, post and stem/handlebar Syncros, Gripshift
Aeolus 57 --> Zipp 400's, seatpost Ti Syncros, stem Syncros, handlebar + Clip-on Syntace, crank Cook bros. E + speedplay, Chain/shifters, cogs, chainwheels all shimano
Aeolus 59 --> Zipp 440's, seatpost alu syncros, stem Syncros, handlebar +clip-on Syntace, cranck Cook bros. bones + Speedplay Chain/shifters, cogs, chainwheels all shimano

Submitted by Big D a Weekend Warrior from Indianapolis, IN, USA

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2011

Strengths:    Quick, smooth, tough frame, etc, etc...

Weaknesses:    The original rims are super light but also weak.... Not great for stunts.

Bottom Line:
If interested in this bike give me a call at (317)444-9688...
Everything is basically in perfect condition a few scratches on the frame, but fixable. It also has new rims and tires.... and i am willing to repaint it or whatever you want done on it for a little bit of extra money... Give me a buzz.

Favorite Trail:   Tail 4 at Brown County

Submitted by redbranch68 a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2010

Strengths:    Hands down probably one of the best designed frames ever made. Paint is 2nd to none, welds are a thing of beauty. Big time light, and stiff no wasted energy here. Bike was spec'd out with top line kit at the time ie Rock Shox Judy XC, Bont. rims, bars, stem, had XT cranks, XT front der, XTR rear, XTR thumb shifters, XT 8 speed casset, all cables run internally which is both a pro and a con ie try putting new cables in when the lbo tried and lost the internal guide,they couldn't get it to feed, so they gave it back to me and said "here...you fix" yes that was a day well spent. All worked a dream.

Weaknesses:    Some of Gary's paint schemes really date themselves, some people love this about his bikes. I love my deep blue and yellow. And this is the only critique I have (not even a true weakness) Oh thought of one weakness...no disc brake mounts (not his fault they were not around at that time) and harsh on the back side, but that is what you get from a aluminium hard tail

Bottom Line:
As you can see I love my 1997 Klein Attitude comp. It was a big spend for me at the time, hell still would consider it a big spend now. But I have gotten every penny's worth back in spades. Now she's never been raced, she's seen technical trails in the Southern U.S. Ran some great trails in San Diego, couldn't leave her behind so she has now enjoyed the best of what Australia has to offer.
Now I won't tell you to go buy a Klein because it's a Klein. I will tell you, if you want a bike that is sick light and would keep you at the front of any group ride (or race), if you want a bike that makes even the skinniest of legs climb like Lance A. then I'd tell you to spend your money on a Klein hard tail. You won't be finding mine for sale EVER. She's with me till the end.

Favorite Trail:   #2 Mt. Stromlo

Purchased At:   Ft. Lauderdale Flori

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpy (1996), C'dale M1000 (1993)

Bike Setup:   I have had this bike since it was born, she's my little girl so I've always spoiled her. Today she wears Ritchey WCS carbon bars (wet black), Richey wcs stem (wet white), Chris King head set (RED SILVER GREEN), SRAM XO grip shift, XO long cage (the anniversary one) XTR 9 speed cassett, Race Face Deuce (white) crankset with turbine rings. Rock Shox Sid World cup with carbon steerer. Mavic 517 rims laced to XT hubs, and Avid arch rival rim brakes. Richey WCS saddle, Thomson elite seat post.

Submitted by BigDeal a Weekend Warrior from Central Florida

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2010

Strengths:    Awesome frame geometry and design (1997 model). Fit and finish are second to none. Frame design transfers power to the ground like no other. Even after all these years, the bike is lighter than all but the most expensive high end rides. High quality Shimano components were included on the stock bike. Gary Klein had it right way back in the early 90's with this design.

Weaknesses:    Frame stiffness creates a punishing ride in the bigger bumps. Original Rock Shox fork was elastomer and spring based, and aged quickly.

Bottom Line:
I've owned Specialized and GT's before, and I've ridden friends Treks, and Gary Fishers, and Cannondales, and Giants, but nothing, let me repeat, nothing, compares to my 1997 Klein Attitude. This bike was way ahead of its time. I've owned the bike since 1997 and have riden it in several states and over many miles, and it still puts a smile on my face. I ride both cross country and around town rides with a local bike shop, and everyone always comments about the bike. Yes, it will turn your kidneys to jello on rough downhills or over big bumps, but that's not what it was designed to handle. However, you won't find a better flat ground or climbing bike on the planet. I hope to put many. many, more miles on this bike over the years as I have no intention of ever parting with it.

Favorite Trail:   Orlando

Purchased At:   Can't Remember (Too

Similar Products Used:   NA

Bike Setup:   Thomson handlebar stem, downhill bars, and Yeti grips. ock Shock Dart3 forks. Wilderness & Ritchey tires. Ritchey saddle.

Submitted by DavCohen a Cross Country Rider from Denver, co

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2009

Strengths:    feather light, lightning fast, beautiful paint job, internal cable routing, stiff and responsive

Weaknesses:    internal cable routing is fantastic unless it needs servicing or it breaks. Non-detachable rear derailleur hanger

Bottom Line:
I now ride a Trek Fuel 6.5 Dual-Suspension which is a serious offroad machine.. but sometimes I miss the fast, tight handling of the Attitude. I wouldn't be able to ride the Attitude on some of the trails I now ride with big bumps and big drops.

Purchased At:   warranty replacement

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Stumpjumper, Klein Rascal

Bike Setup:   Mostly XTR, Bontrager rims, Kore & Race Face

Submitted by girly-blue a Downhiller from Arlington, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2009

Strengths:    smooth, light as air, speedy, still looks new after 7 years

Weaknesses:    don't know

Bottom Line:
didn't know when I bought it around 2003, don't know about original Kleins, but the Klein Attitude V circa 03, is an awesome, headturning bike. It gives me confidence the way a nice pair of heels make a lady stand up tall. I came to love this bike; ride through the city mostly and have not ridden anything else since. I would love to take this baby to Espana. I agree with the dude that said it becomes an extension of you.

Favorite Trail:   only been in DC

Purchased At:   parts on ebay

Bike Setup:   put together custom by someone else, XTR parts, shox and all the good stuff, lady seat covered with a cushion

Submitted by kleiner1951 a Cross Country Rider from Milano, Italy

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2009

Strengths:    Geometry
Build Quality / Attention to detail
Paint finish
Weight / Stiffness
Mission Control System - responsive & accurate
Sealed BB
Joy to ride XC

Weaknesses:    Easy to damage
Tough on rear department
Fork adapters are expensive / difficult to find

Bottom Line:
I purchased this frame on eBay USA for around $500 including shipping. What a bargain! So far, I have done 1,600kms of different kinds of riding and can say that this bike was at least a decade before its time. Probably, 1996 was the utlimate 'best' year for Kleins before the accountants at Trek started to cut manufacturing costs. Frames of this callibre will probably never be made again!

The bike rides silky smooth and is totally suitable for XC riding and the trails. The geometry is ideal for this terrain with tight rear triangle and lateral stiffness.

In fact, this bike is so good, its going with me across the Himalayas this August (2009), that's how confident I am with it. The most imporant thing I can say is that you need to connect with the bike you choose to ride: and I'm connected!

Favorite Trail:   Passo del Giova, Italy

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Scalpel, Team Marin, Pulse II, Adroit

Bike Setup:   MC2 System, PMP cranks / Middelburn rings, Sram XO, XTR brakes, Bontrager X-Lite wheels, Race Face seatpost, Selle Italia saddle, Continental Mountain King 2.2 tyres

Submitted by kleiner1996 a Cross Country Rider from Milano, Italy

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2009

Strengths:    Increbible build quality and attention to detail.
Lightweight / Stiffness
MC2 Mission control precision
Night Storm paint finish
Simgle Track and X country performance
Smooth as silk
Agressive geometry / small rear triangle

Weaknesses:    Can be a bit unforgiving in the rear department!

Bottom Line:
These bikes are now real hard to find. I bought this frame in Switzerland on eBay and took my time to set it up. The ride is silky smooth and the MC2 combination is remarkably accurate on corners. This frame is from 1995 and is probably the most desirable of all the pre Trek Kleins to own.
Its such a pleasure to ride something which has been really handmade, with fanstastic attention to detail and is after all, a product that is approaching 19 years old!
Gary Klein was some 15 years ahead of his time and this bike is still up there with the very best on offer today. If you are lucky enough to find one, just buy it!

Favorite Trail:   Parco Ticino

Purchased At:   In Switzerland on eB

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Scalpel, Klein Pulse II, Adroit

Bike Setup:   Ringle hubs, Mavic rims. XTR brakes and gears. Middleburn (96) crankset, Vredestein tyres. MC2 Mission control. Rock shox XC forks

Submitted by Pedro Tello a Weekend Warrior from Lima, Lima, Peru

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2008

Strengths:    Bought it on 1996, still in pristine condition. Paint almost as new. Super light but super strong

Weaknesses:    None yet (after 12 years???) Have to clean & wax it every week to maintain it´s beautiful finish. A bit large for me, should have bought small not medium. (my fault, I'm 5-7")

Bottom Line:
Though I ride religiously every saturday & sunday from 10.am to 10 pm. And have fallen 6 or 7 times trying to DH, the bike is in mint condition. Will climb or accelarate better than most newer tech bikes. Made approx 350,000Km so far. If you find one, BUY IT !!
It would be a blend of Jaguar & Paris-Dakar Rally special; depending on where you use it. As the Ad once said: "Yes, it's very expensive, as you would expect" (and worth every penny)

Favorite Trail:   Anya, dirt, mud, XC.

Purchased At:   Bike Mavil - Lima

Similar Products Used:   GT Avalanche, Trek 7000 & 8500, Bianchi.

Bike Setup:   Switched all LX to XT, including brake levers w/shifters
Changed original seat to gel; Panaracers to Hutchinsons, to Maxxis, to WTBs. Now using Michelin's A/Ts

Submitted by andy zarkovich a Downhiller from dewitt, mi, usa

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2008

Strengths:    i belive i have a mid 90's klein attitude hardtail. I was told it was a 1996 but i dont know how to tell. this bike feels stout, climbs well, looks good, and is very fast and fairly light for an older hardtail. i love the paint job and the cables that go into the frame. mine has regular u brakes that work excellent. the rims are also quite strong.

Weaknesses:    my front fork broke because i was jumping it down hill which is not the bikes intention. i went to replace the fork and the bike shop told me that i have needed to get an adapter kit to use any other fork because that year the head tube was like 1' 1/8 to 1' 1/4 and all the new forks are designed a 1' 1/8 head tube. this little adaptor was going to cost me like 200 to get fixed so now my bike hangs in the garage because i dont want to spend the money on a bike that i dont use that often.

Bottom Line:
make sure that you are prepared to deal with this issue on the front tube before purchasing this bike! if you have a fix or your bike dosent have this issue then this bike is an excellent bike. i have gotten many complements and have really enjoyed this bike.

if anyone knows a better fix or would like to own this bike let me know... email me at andyzarkovich@gmail.com

Favorite Trail:   boyne highlands

Purchased At:   from friend

Similar Products Used:   mostly downhill bikes (the klein was my 1st bike and i knew nothing about mt. bikes)

Submitted by sven a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2006

Strengths:    One of the best climbers ever. This bike is stiff, and has a short rear triangle. It really gets the power to the ground. A very well crafted frame.

Weaknesses:    You really take a beating from all that stiffness. You really feel the bumps. I tend to flat out a lot too, possibly because of the short rear triangle - your weight is right over the back tire. The internal cable routing looks slick, but can be very problematic. It's tough to service, and shifting/breaking performance suffers sometimes. The MC2 handlebar system limits your ability to upgrade components.

Bottom Line:
This is a '96 frame, which I built up in '98. It was designed for Cantilever brakes! After a few years off, I started riding again. I told myself I would ride this for the rest of the season, then treat myself to a full suspension bike next year. This bike has really been eclipsed by technology. This bike is a mixed bag - it climes so well that I'm able to beat road bikers up paved hills. When riding in rolling hills, I pass the full suspension bikes on the uphill, then they pass me going down. And the brakes and rough ride are killing me. I do like this bike though, and I am thinking about upgrading it. But I need to be very careful not to spend more than it would cost to just buy something new. I believe this is doable.

Bike Setup:   late '90s XT, Mavic. RockShox Judy fork.

Submitted by Edwin a Racer from Portland, Or...USA

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2005

Strengths:    This bike is the best climing bike that I have ever ridden!! The way that I have my Attitude built up, it weighs just under 23lbs. Everywhere I go (public walk,jog, bikeway, trail in the middle of nowhere, ect.) someone says, "sweet ride". It's like they follow me just to tell me! Try getting that from a '95 Trek!

Weaknesses:    Trek has given Klein a bad name now that they own them. Fortunatly I got mine first!!

Bottom Line:
This bike is probably, no for sure, the finest bike that I have ever owned! It is a smart buy for any rider and they are getting harder to find, due to the fact that loyal Klien owners are buying them up as back-up bikes for them selfs! If you see one for under $1000 and you have the money untied up, BUY IT!!! You wont regret it!!

Similar Products Used:   GT, Trek, Diamondback, Cannondale, Alpinestars is close in the climing world though!

Bike Setup:   '95 Klein Attitude! Full XTR (900 series, Mavic Cross Max SL, Old school JUDY with GEM inside and 80mm travel, Syncros post, Flite Titanium, Panaracer Fire XC pro folding, Gorilla brake boosters and all for 22.14lbs!

Submitted by ciad a Weekend Warrior from kent UK

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2005

Strengths:    very light and agile. superb power output makes climbing hills so easy compared to other bikes I have ridden. great handling. beautifull paintwork if you like ironic colours(orange sunburst I think).

Weaknesses:    frame dents and chips easily. its an xc only mahine and anything too technical it will not like. stay away from drop offs 1 foot+

Bottom Line:
I bought this second hand nearly 4 years ago and it had been well used at the time. I had to scrap some of the old components and with a bit of attention I got it back to its best.

Purchased At:   second hand classifieds

Similar Products Used:   spesh enduro 99/02, prince albert dialled bikes, spesh hardrock, orange patriot many others

Bike Setup:   kona project 2's, mainly LX components,thompson seatpost,spesh body geometry saddle, bonty race light wheels.

Submitted by Mort Cairns a Cross Country Rider from Cirencester, Glos, UK

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2003

Strengths:    Simply the best hardtail ever. Build quality, appearance, geometry, desirability. This bike has the lot!

Weaknesses:    Pardon?

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike from my brother at a bargain rate to fund the purchase of his Ellsworth. A year on and he wants the Klein back again, having sold the Ellsworth and bought a Yeti. The power output from the Klein is amazing and whilst I mainly ride XC, I have recently purchased some skinnies and have ridden with a road cycling team, keeping up with the pace very nicely. It always gets admiring glances from those in the know. I'll ride it 'till it dies which ain't going to happen for some time yet!

Favorite Trail:   Chiltern Hills

Purchased At:   From my brother

Bike Setup:   1998 Attitide Comp.

Submitted by CurlyBob a Cross Country Rider from Boulder CO, orig Wales UK

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
I will call my 1st born Klein. WOW I love this baby,

Bike Setup:   98 attitude comp pearl blue! king, sid sl, xt through xtr V's monkey bar, salsa shaft time's ritchey wcs stem 517 on hugi's

Is my bike a Klein Attitude "Dolomite"?

Can someone help me identify my used Klein? Is it the Dolomite model?Read More »

Is my bike a Klein Attitude "Dolomite"?

Klein attitude race bike

I love my old Kleins! this bike was one owner and mostly the way you see it. it had some newish tires i replaced with not period but mid 90s flavor. Seat grips and some more anno parts. heres the build. Mission control~ grips are ATI control tech bar ends grafton levers 7 speed suntour xc pro ... Read More »

Very rare Klein Attitude ROAD bike!

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/1990-KLEIN-ATTITUDE-Team-USA-Dolomite-50cm-Road-Bike-/130396748969?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item1e5c407ca9[/url] Not my bike. I own one but its got some Race King 2.2's on it like it should.Read More »

My New Bike-->2001 Klein Attitude Comp

So I decided to get into Mountain biking after falling in love with road biking last summer. I bought a 2001 Klein Attitude Comp from Craigslist for $300 today. The bike is in GREAT shape except one thing...It looks like the bike has seen very little usage time, but lots of time sitting in a dusty b ... Read More »