KHS Sport Bike 1998 or Older

3.14/5 (7 Reviews)

KHS Sport

Submitted by Allen a Weekend Warrior from Waverly, NY

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2011

Strengths:    overall it is a very good bike for a weekend warrior or a city commuter. rides great

Weaknesses:    inferior components if you wanna get serious with it.

Bottom Line:
great bike for the money. I got it at a pawn shop in 1999 and it has lasted me over 10 years. I can't complain about that.

Purchased At:   Pawn Shop

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Brian M from NJ

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2008

Strengths:    STEEL IS REAL! For everyday use this thing is fine. Not as light as aluminum but sounder for daily use. Also the frame geo is fine for around town riding, and with a rigid fork and better parts (including street tires) it makes an excellent utility bike.
The bike comes with mounts for a rear rack, and it lacks many flaws of cheaper mountainbikes such as upen top, bolt on seatposts or solid rear axles... both wheels have quick release and it comes with an aluminum seatpost with a allen bolt seat clamp. Cable routing is nice as it routes the cables along the top tube not the DT, so when you go to wipe off the bike after riding in foul weather the cables aren't in the way.

Weaknesses:    It came with ugly grip shifters and a quick release seatclamp. I happened to have an allen-key seatclamp and a pair of old friction thumb shifters which worked. The cranks suck, the chainrings are permanently attached -- a common failing among "entry level" mountainbikes and hybrids that you would never get away with on a road bike. Crank upgrades and installing a decent rigid for is next.

Bottom Line:
As a basis for building a bike YOU want, get one, it's fine for bombing around on, but is more a commuter or urban bike than a real serious mountainbike. With a rigid fork and component changes it could be real fun.

Purchased At:   found secondhand

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hardrock (old steel model) with a single frotn chainring and an 8 spd rear wheel hooked to a thumb shifter, that I built up myself; a Trek 4500 with a surly fork I installed running a fixed cog on one side and a single speed freewheel on the other

Bike Setup:   Stock seatpost and stem. Flat bar, cut somewhat shorter. Stock derailliers hooked to thumb shifters. Stock seat (for now). Replaced quick release seatpost clamp with a allen bolt model to deter opportunity thieves. Am going to replace the heavy shocks with a rigid fork and the crappy cranks with decent cranks that have bolt on, removeable chanrings. Am installing street slicks and removing the knobby tires.

Submitted by DANIEL BEDARD from SURREY, BRITISH COLUMBIA

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2002

Strengths:    stable ride similar to my Kona Lavadome
i feeL more centered on this bike than any other i own or have owned
Has a plush ride
Shifts smoothly
Brakes well
Quiet knobbies translating as low rolling resistance
Sram type handlebar shifters

Weaknesses:    Heavy - approx 30 lbs

Not sure I like the seat - too plush but still too early to tell yet

Bottom Line:
I was attracted to the bike initially because of the price (boxing day sale price) and the fact it had a nice look, a nice paint job, and a quality front fender

I commute from Surrey - Guildford area to BCIT technical college in Burnaby, a round trip of 50 kilometres a day. I average year round 200 km a week of riding which equals approximately 11,000 km a year on a route which includes several hills which out East they call mountains ie 300-400 vertical feet on a one mile grade ie Royal Oak, Johnson Hill, Canada Way, 6th Ave in New Westminster, Willingdon Avenue, 104th Ave from Scott Road
I pound uphills which results in new drivetrains (chains, sprockets, cassettes, rear wheel sets, deraillers ) every 6000 to 10000 km
It is cheaper to buy a new bike on sale than to replace the LX & XT drivetrain on my Raleigh Chill
My first impressions of the KHS SPORT are favourable. The balance and the stability of the bike allows easier head turning to look for traffic approachingbehind and balancing the bike at intersection lights. Initially, i was hesitant about the front fork because it felt too plush and had no adjusments. These concerns dissipated after my first commute home because the sidewalk portions of the commute were so much smoother than any other bike i have owned, especially niticeable at the junctions between the road and the sidewalk lips. After i added barends and magnesium pedals, i found the bike to be quite an efficient hauler. I attribute the plushness of the ride to the front fork and the tensile steel chainstays plus the half CroMo - Beta downtube frame design.I find the bike an efficient pedaller. The bike's balance allows good control around corners, staying on the bike at an intersection without dismounting, etc. The paint is a high quality metallic reddish-brown which blends well with the yellow magnesium pedals. The bike is heavy, which I knew and perhaps is not as snappy as an aluminium 7005 or 6061 but this is not a concern as my main purpose for a long commute,which includes hauling up to 25 lbs of gear, tools, food, books, etc. is comfort, no frame flex, a smooth ride and shifters that work well in rain and dirt conditions.
So far a very pleasant surprise, considering the bike's low price ie I paid almost $2000.00 for the Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt.
My only reservation to my review is that i have not yet ridden thousands of miles on it yet. We will see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   COMMUTE SURREY TO VANCOUVER

Purchased At:   CAP'S CYCLE

Similar Products Used:   KONA LAVADOME, RALEIGH CHILL WITH LX COMPLETE LX, ROCKY MOUNTAIN THUNDERBOLT HANDBUILT, SPECIALIZED ALLEZ CARCON FIBRE ROAD BIKE (NICE), SPECIALIZED HARDROCK, KUWAHARA WITH A HANDBUILT QUADRUPLE BUTTED FRAME

Bike Setup:   ALL STOCK WITH THE ADDITION OF A FRONT FENDER, REAR CAGE, MAGNESIUM BMX PEDALS AND SMALL BONTRAGER BAR ENDS

Submitted by ALtered Ego a cross-country rider from CANADA

Date Reviewed: January 18, 1999

Bottom Line:

OK now, the KHS Sport... I wonder if there is a bigger PIECE in the world!! I got this bike in April and now I have had sooo many problems with it, I'm buying a new bike, a HIGHER QUALITY bike!
Lets List the Major Problems that I've had:
1) I snapped the Derailer
2) I Bent the Hell outta rails on the Power tools saddle
3) Rusty shi* keeps pouring out of the RST 280'sYou probably think: WOW, he must be really hard on his bike but I'm not!
The derailer snapped on a ride through the Park... and The Seat Bent when I took a small, 1 1/2ft, drop-off and it has a suspension seat post!(I weigh about +180-). If your a begginer that takes 2 rides a month then BUY THIS BIKE!!! If you take more than 3 rides a month then buy a better bike! This bike belongs in Wal-Mart and should be renamed to the HUFFY SPORT!
KHS Sport gets a 5 for making such an exclent PIECE minus 4 for me having to ride it for a year!
`Nuff Said

Submitted by DieHard KHS Rider a cross-country rider from CANADA

Date Reviewed: September 24, 1998

Bottom Line:

I do alot of riding, mostly cross-county. But this bike, (Even though it is so about 4-5 pounds more than alot of other bikes) is WICKED!! I've done some damage to it, and I need a new saddle, but otherwise.... its great!! I only bought this bike 'cause I wanted to see if I could get into the sport, wich I did. I'm upgrading the ENTIRE bike which is a good Idea if you are thinking of become more serious. My friends tell me to buy a new bike, but where can you get a bike with xt components and Z-1's? The frame will be upgraded later... KHS Team, probably. This bike was very reasonably priced, and I recomend it to anybody that wants to start Mt. Biking.
This bike easily earns a 5, cause for $570 Canadian, this bike was a real steal, and with great KHS durability, it was well worth it.

Submitted by PunkRockGirl a weekend warrior from Way Out Here

Date Reviewed: June 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

This is one HEAVY bike. At least the 1991 version is ;) I don't ride it anymore (moved on to another GREEN bike - a Balance AL550 - a *treat* after the sport!)but it is still going strong for my sister and that says enough. Why did KHS put SUNTOUR components on what was then a decent bike ($700 canadian)?? It is a decent entry level bike for casual riders or 13 yearolds who will grow out of it in a season... It does give you a workout though!

Submitted by Vafunkcooler from Zagreb, Croatia

Date Reviewed: January 29, 1998

Bottom Line:

Well it's OK bike for daily use on road, city or even sometimes in cross
country. But it's not for realy mountain biking because it has lots of
cheap parts as Weinnman 529 rims, rear hub, and so on. It cost about 400 US$
which is equal of its value. So If you need every day bike for Bussines or
go to scool buy it.

Enjoyng my new 2014 Hard Rock Sport Disc 26

[ATTACH=CONFIG]821053[/ATTACH] Ive been riding bikes, BMX, MTB, and Cruisers since I was maybe 6 years old. After a 2-3 year break of riding anything, I decided to get back in shape, and go have some fun. Picked up my Specialized 2014 Hard Rock Sport Disc 26" a couple of weeks ago and it's an absol ... Read More »

2012 Hardrock Sport Disk 29er on CL

What do you think a fair price would be for this bike on CL? Ower says it has about 60 miles on it and it is all stock.Read More »

2011 Jamis Dakar XC comp of 2011 Rocky Mountain Element Sport ?

Hi, I can get a deal on both of these bikes. Looking for a full sus 100 to 120 mm for singletrack/cross country riding for my girlfriend: no jumps/drops I'm mainly interested in the differences between the frames (have parts lying around to upgrade): rear suspension effectiveness, overall fram ... Read More »

Noob Question: Jamis Dragon Sport vs Airborne Goblin

I am looking at getting a new bike and looking to go the 29er route. I previously rode a 10 year old GT Avalanche sand was forced to upgrade a few parts due to breaking them. So quality components are important and these two bikes seem to have similar componenets with the main difference being steel ... Read More »

2012 Jamis Dragon 29 Sport

Hello all, I realize everyone is probably a little tired of opening up threads to find a newbie like myself asking crazy questions like "is this bike good?" Or is that bike going to fit me?" The fact is, I am looking to purchase my first 29er and join the ever-growing family or seasoned veterans an ... Read More »