K2 Pro-Flex 5000 Bike 1998 or Older

4.5/5 (30 Reviews)

K2 Pro-Flex 5000

Submitted by swagamuffin

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2013

Strengths:    Cheap!

Weaknesses:    Worn out!

Bottom Line:
I got this bike for 50$ with almost everything but the frame aftermarket. It is pretty loose and squishy

Submitted by 13yr-old-rider a Weekend Warrior from pittsburgh

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2010

Strengths:    strong reliable great bike for beginner to intermediate

Weaknesses:    found basicly none so far

Bottom Line:
great bike. found no weaknesses so far worth the money

Favorite Trail:   anywhere with jumps

Purchased At:   craigslist

Bike Setup:   carbon swingarms, handlebar, excel rims

Submitted by Torquewrench a Weekend Warrior from Santa Barbara, CA

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2009

Strengths:    Light for the time, I love the linkage fork. The fork travel path extends the wheelbase when compressed, so diving into a hole is no problem because the bike stretches out in front of you. I have Smartshocks front and rear, they both still work but from what I hear there are much better shocks out there, maybe someday when they blow I'll replace them with lighter air shocks. Great bike for descending and climbs well seated, would be interesting to try one of the new pedaling threshold shocks on the rear.

Weaknesses:    Some sticktion from the front air shock, I keep the linkages lubed with a greasegun so I know it's the shock. Rear could use more rebound damping.

Bottom Line:
Love the looks, love the ride, and the linkage fork is terrific. Ride one if you can find one.

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco, MD

Purchased At:   Trailhead

Similar Products Used:   Haven't ridden any other FS, but my previous ride was a Klein Attitude

Bike Setup:   Crosslink fork, smartshocks front and rear, Magura HS33 hydraulic rim brakes, Titec stem, hellbent bar, Yeti lock-on grips, Ritchey headset, XT cranks, raceface chainrings, XT front and rear derailleurs, XT shifters, Bontrager rims and tires, rollamajig, Bontrager saddle

Submitted by don from quincy, ma

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2003

Strengths:    light, climbs good, durability, price at the time, decent for a quick spin up the asphalt

Weaknesses:    back end wanders a little bit but can be handled, sometimes noisy, maybe travel?

Bottom Line:
I believe it is a 98. Former BMX and "freestyle" punk. I've been beating on this bike for close to three years (riding a couple times a week) and it has not broke to this day. I've recently started the 3-4 drops and you can tell it is losening up a bit but that aint' bad considering it has had one "professional" tune up in 3 years. This being my first fully I can't complain. Thinkin about a new bike but really can't think of any major reasons to get rid of this one yet. I'm 5'11" , 165lbs which might factor into the non breaking thing.

Favorite Trail:   coon hollow, blue hills

Similar Products Used:   specialized enduro, giant nrs, other than that hardtails

Bike Setup:   medium frame, crossmax rims(v's), girvin triple clamp fork, smart shock(no battery), typical xt stuff, fancy italian seat(forget name)

Submitted by joe a Downhiller from belleville il

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2001

Strengths:    good steering, no flex, andnice on the hills

Weaknesses:    stupid smart shock broke on 3 foot drop(no more flashy lights now)

Bottom Line:
It rocks in the drops, in the hills, on the turns, and on the up hills. If this describes your likes then get it. Only prob is the smart shock stop doing it's light thing after a 3 foot drop. Beats me what happened, but now it is just not smart. It is just like a regular shock now. Anybody have an idea for a new rear shock?

Favorite Trail:   the local set of 100 stairs

Purchased At:   guy frmo mtbr

Bike Setup:   all lx and stock.....new pedals

Submitted by Cody L a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2001

Strengths:    Pro_flex bikes kick ass! The frames are sooo strong, i usually ride hard and this bike keeps up!

Weaknesses:    The back shock will sometimes make some funny noises when i am jumping.

Bottom Line:
I am only 15 and let me tell ya i can ripp! so all you parents out there if your kid asks for a full suspension instead of a bmx...let him!

These bikes are good for all ages! my sisters x is 22 and he loved it! I am 15 and I love it!!

Favorite Trail:   Pipe lines (chilliwack)

Purchased At:   Sisters x-boyfriend

Similar Products Used:   GT full suspensions

Bike Setup:   Pro-flex fame, V brakes, bombers on the front, rock shox on the rear.

Submitted by Craig M. a Racer from Abington, MA

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2001

Strengths:    Low cost, durability (have had it for over 2 years now). I have heard some horror stories about dealing with companies but I must say K2 has come through for me every time!!!

Weaknesses:    I use Spin wheels and the carbon wheels whith the carbon rear end has more play than normal, but I also weigh between 220 and 240 (depending on season).

Bottom Line:
I bought the bike for it's price at Supergo. My original problem was the rear shock, which I upgraded for $31(plus shipping $8). For my weight it made the biggest difference. I have bent one der hanger, which my LBS ordered and I got new ones in four days. I also had the rear end come apart, the alloy fittings front and rear came loose from the carbon swing arm. I went to my K2 dealer and K2 had me a new rear end within a week!!!!! (Kudos to K2!!) It only cost me the shipping since they upheld their warranty. The smart shock I see has been a problem for some but I have had mine submerged at least 10 times and not just a quick underwater thing but at least 5 minutes underwater (great trail but that's a different story). I have had no problems still works great. the only problem I had was the battery would not stay in contact so the shock would not come on. A small peice of paper folded will cure this. All in all for the price it has been my best purchase of any mountain bike equipment (well maybe with the exception of the King headset, I don't think Godzilla could hurt that). If you find one...keep it!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   Follow up review!!

Similar Products Used:   Proflex 856, Specialized FSR XC

Bike Setup:   XT: brakes, fr der, cranks, bb. Sram 9.0 rear der & shift. XTR cass. Spin wheels. Noleen Chubby LT fork. Chris King HS. Easton bars.

Submitted by Anthony Molitor a Weekend Warrior from Saukville, WI. USA

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2001

Strengths:    So far the frame has seen killer drops from 6' and although I want better suspention I have to say this bike can take a beating. I'm an X bmx'er and moto crosser and I do abususe the bike, I constantly clean and keep it tip top but I do crash and tumble alot. I am waiting for the carbon arm to snap but soo far it hasn't.

Weaknesses:    I don't want to bash K2 but gee's what a horrable rear shock. It never worked from day one. I'm a pretty good mechanic so I retro fitted the frame to accept any shock I want, IE: SID, Cane Creek, FOX Alps and the bike now is my favorite.

Bottom Line:
I know it's an opinion so to each his or her own. I must like it cause I sure dropped a chunk of change on it and it sits next to me while I watch TV. If it matters I'm 39, 151 lbs, 5'8" and yes my wife gives me the evil eye and the inlaws think I'm nuts. And my own piece of advice, EXERSIZE!!!, i'ts the quickest way for you and your bike to drop pounds. Have Fun.

Favorite Trail:   Too Many To decide

Purchased At:   SuperGo

Similar Products Used:   Balance, Trek Y's, Giant ATX, GT Avalanche, Specialized M2, Schwinn Sweet Spot,

Bike Setup:   K2 500 frame, Risse Trixxy inverted fork w/8" travel, All XTR except for the ESP 9 setup, Modified Rear w/ Cane Creek AD-10 and the rear has 8.5" travel, BMX flat pedals, Azonic 2" riser bars, BMX stem ( .5" in front ), Wirless cateye,(although i never look at it), and lots of other goodies.

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from Orange County, California

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2001

Strengths:    Strong frame. Stiff. Not to heavy.

Weaknesses:    Frame could be a little lighter. Smart Shock was horrible. I swapped Smart Shock for a Risse Racing Astro 5 - Much better and lighter.

Bottom Line:
I reviewed this bike after one month and I can honestly say things only got better. When I first started riding this bike, I couldn't keep up with my riding buddies (all on hardtails). After I figured out how to ride FS, I haven't seen the back of my buds in a long time. This bike rocks and works much better with the Risse air shock. Other than the Smart Shock, I only can give this bike the highest recommendation.

Favorite Trail:   if it's dirt - it's good

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Only hardtails.

Bike Setup:   Kore, Mavic Crosslink, XTR, Easton and Manitou Mars-1

Submitted by tony lyons a Racer from tampa florida

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2000

Strengths:    K2/PROFLEX made for all types of riding, stiff best climber on steep uphills, strong in all areas of riding technical, downhill and urban assault.

Weaknesses:    could lose some weight on frame but no real complaints

Bottom Line:
the bottom line is that i have owned 3 proflexs, 2 cannondales, fsr specialized, kona sex1 and 2 and numerous others over the last 5 yrs and still to this day i have never had anything bad to say about proflex which is now k2.
i believe for the most part that all the bikes out, in the higer end that is, are very respectful. it's who is riding and and what they like. this bike is designed to ride almost anywhere, shoot i am from fla. it's pretty much flat land but ther are some way cool places with extreme short highspeed downhills. this bike in general is set up for someone who knows what they are doing!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   built from ground up

Bike Setup:   all xtr except front der., cranks. mavick crosslink bontrager stem and bars. serfas lola sattle ringlr moby post rockshox SID SL race face needle bearing head set and more

Submitted by John Fasheh a Cross Country Rider from Concord, CA

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2000

Strengths:    Frame travel.

Weaknesses:    Weight and Rear Shock

Bottom Line:
Smart Shock is terrible.
I have replaced the rear shock two times, due to failure.
K2 has been verygood. But, It is still very dangerous to have a shock come apart while riding. The first time, the shock spring retainer clip sheared off. The second time the
shock shaft snapped in hald at the tip. The shock completely
came apart. I was traveling around 20 mph down hill, luckily I was not hurt. This was warrantied by K2.

Favorite Trail:   All trails

Similar Products Used:   NONE

Bike Setup:   Full XT, Marzochi Bomber 100mm travel. Mavic Cross link wheels.

Submitted by Frank a Cross Country Rider from Salinas

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2000

Strengths:    Top quality components

Weaknesses:    Brakes rattle, more of an annoyance than a weakness

Bottom Line:
This bike is a dream. My LBS dealer told me I would not find a better bike for the money. I got it for 1400.00 in the spring of '99. I cannot feel any flex. The smart shocks have had no problems. I am 6'03" and weigh 245lbs. I have not felt the shocks bottom yet. I did replace the rear spring with a 550 form a 500. I do not ride extreme, but I have gone off of some 2-3' drops and land soft as ever. Uphill I cannot feel any bob at all, only on level hardpack or pavement. This goes away if you don't mash and smooth out your spin. I am completely satisfied with this purchase and would definately recommend a friend to buy one if the opportunity came about. I am subtracting one chili in performance for the rattling brakes.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Ord

Purchased At:   Bear Bikes

Similar Products Used:   First f/s bike

Bike Setup:   Factory stock, carbon fiber rear swing arm and Girvin/Noleen cross link front forks, K2 smart shocks front and rear, xtr rear derailleur, everything else xt, easton bars, titec seat post, replaced pedals with speedplay frogs and stock panaracer sk/ss tires with Tioga xc's

Submitted by Ji Son a Cross Country Rider from Edmonds, WA

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2000

Strengths:    Strong lightweight frame. Awesome rear 'Smartshock' when used properly. FAST FAST FAST. Did I mention FAST.

Weaknesses:    None. Well... I built the bike from the ground up. The only stock item is the Proflex 5000 Frame.

Bottom Line:
This bike is very fast and with the setup I have it can beat everything I have raced against. All for less than $1200 for everything. Well... Retail price on all the parts is over $2400, but if you shop around you can save a fortune. If you have any bike know-how, this is definitely a great frame to build up from. One last thing. FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE SMARTSHOCK I SUGGEST YOU READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. I have been using the smartshock on the 'smart' setting which is the middle one with the lightbulb and I can ride on hardpack or hit huge jumps and it always is on the perfect setting. The computer sets everything automatically. When the unit is off the rear shock does tend to bounce alot(Like a cheap spring-only shock). Keep the computer on and all of your complaints will be history. I love this bike!! I have a web page coming soon. It will be ready by 9/30/00 with pictures of the bike. It is www.geocities.com/frikinspit/bikes.html

Favorite Trail:   Tolt River Pipeline

Similar Products Used:   None so far.

Bike Setup:   Proflex 5000 Frame. Ritchey Headset, Handlebar, Vector wing Saddle. Trans X stem. RST DH Elite Dual Crown Fork and RST DX Front Disc Brake. XT Cranks(w/XTR 24/34/46Rings), Shifters, levers, Front Derailleur, wheels w/front disc brake hub. XTR Reverse Action Rear Derailleur. Etc....

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Michigan

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2000

Strengths:    Strong as hell! Lots of rear travel! Stiff swingsrm. Great frame for the price ($400 at Supergo).
It's nimble demeanor surprised me in the tight stuff. My friends who are all C'dale yuppies rode it and really liked the handling.

Weaknesses:    Rear OEM Smartshock. Cover is loose after less than 100 miles. I am replacing it soon with a Stratos Helix Pro (also gains an inch of suspension travel)

Bottom Line:
GREAT all around bike. I built this bike to ride the rougher trails, and I ended up using it for everything. I have two wheelsets built up to quickly swap out tire/wheel combinations for different types of riding. Climbs/Cruises/Descends/Jumps well. I LOVE IT!!!

Only beef I have is with the Smartshock... it is a gimmicky POS.

5 chilis for value, only 4 for overall cause of the poor Smartshock.

Favorite Trail:   Holdridge