Jamis Diablo Bike 1998 or Older

4.4/5 (10 Reviews)

Jamis Diablo

Submitted by bikerjim a Cross Country Rider from Endicott, NY

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2011

Strengths:    very comfortable on street w/ Michelin City tires 1.85x26, strong, solid bike. Friend called and said neighbor was throwing away (in the garbage) a bicycle ... it is a dark purple 17.5," EXAGE components with 6 speed cassette; I'm guessing a mid 1980 model. I am a street rider and have three other bikes (all with rams horn handlebars) and this is my favorite street bike. It says I paid 0$ for it but with new bottom bracket, tires, chain, seat & post it hasn't been free but heck that is part of the fun of bicycling.

Weaknesses:    Pretty outdated with only 6 speed cassette; difficult to get replacement parts.

Bottom Line:
Great Bicycle ... makes me feel a kinship to other Jamis products.

Favorite Trail:   street

Purchased At:   garbage pile

Bike Setup:   Street use

Submitted by Stephen a Cross Country Rider from Aurora, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2007

Strengths:    Faux fillet brazed Tange ATB double butted tubing.
Stands up to daily commute use and the years very well.

Weaknesses:    Pedals suck.
Rear axle bends/breaks on 3+ foot drops/jumps.

Bottom Line:
This was my first mtn. bike. I still ride one just like it (my original Diablo is somewhere in Michigan and presumed out-of-service and in a swamp) almost every day on a 25 mile R/T commute. I paid $50 for my current Diablo. Love the way it fits and the feel of steel!

20 years of use is nothing for this bike, except the cheap VP pedals are only good for about 500 miles (one month).
Roll on El Diablo!

(I don't think the other posters are talking about the same Vintage Jamis Diablo as I am!)

Favorite Trail:   Apex

Purchased At:   pawn shop

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhoppers, Stumpjumpers, Etc.

Bike Setup:   1988 Jamis Diablo.
Stock except seat and rear tire.
Shimano Exage groupo.

Submitted by Kent Peggram from Nashville, TN

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2006

Strengths:    double-butted steel has nice flex on single-track, beast climber....tough bike, can take some slammin

Weaknesses:    make the sacrifice of a few lbs. double-butted steel nice if you ride single-track hard....and can't afford titanium

Bottom Line:
at 24 lbs.....no breakee.....old school,Jamis frame design is sweet and solid...plush on s.track

Favorite Trail:   local- Chickasaw Trace

Bike Setup:   XT components, 2001 Marzocchi Bomber fork, Ryno-lite dub-walled rims w/ IRC Mythos XC's, raceface riser/ handlebars, yeti grips(git some, you likee)

Submitted by Stephen a Weekend Warrior from Charlotte

Date Reviewed: September 6, 1999

Strengths:
Frame

Weaknesses:
no particular weaknesses

Bottom Line:
This is probably the best all around bike I have ever ridden. It really kicks on the trails, especially the really fast downhill trails you thought you couldn't do without a full suspension bike. It rides better than any other bike I've ever ridden(and I've ridden many different kinds of bikes). Next time you buy a bike, go Jamis.

Catawba

2 Years

Cannondale
Schwinn
GT

Submitted by Cooch a Cross-Country Rider from Clearwater, FL

Date Reviewed: June 3, 1999

Strengths:
Solid Frame Design

Weaknesses:
Fork
Some parts

Bottom Line:
Great Bike. I bought this bike mostly for the frame. This is one of the sweetest riding frames. This bike climbs like a beast. It gives you a lot of support and is really very solid. For cromoly it is also very light, about 26 lbs. I plan on upgrading all of the components on it and possibly doing some racing.

Santos

3 months

Canondale

Quad 5
Lx Hubs
Really crappy components but the frame makes up for it.

Submitted by pullermann a downhiller from com

Date Reviewed: January 15, 1999

Bottom Line:

68 88 888 88 8 88 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 888 8 8 8 8 88 8 88 8 888 88 8 88 88 8 8 8 88 88 8 8 8 8888

Submitted by Joe a racer from FL

Date Reviewed: September 5, 1998

Bottom Line:

The best bike ever owned. I have the 1996 Diablo LE and it is the bomb my bike weighs 25 lbs.Awesome, the bomb, awesome, the bomb!
Current Setup:Manitou SX
XTR rear der
Ritchey wcs handle bar
LX hubs Araya rims and stuff the best bike buy one now because if you do you will be happy.

Submitted by Joe a weekend warrior from Vermont

Date Reviewed: July 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

My Diablo is a few years old. I bought it after a two minute test ride. It was a perfect fit. It felt solid, but springy. I bought it from a small shop. It came with a rigid fork, but the shop gave me a Rock Shox Q21R at their cost, with installation thrown in. I don't weigh very much, and I really notice the light weight of the bike on climbs. It really sticks to the steep rocky slopes I usually ride. It came with a mix of XT/LX components and gripshift shifters. I do a lot of steep technical single track descents, and the LX brakes, once properly adjusted, are great. I can stop cold on descents I couldn't even walk down. I'm in my third season with the Diablo, and I don't feel any need to trade it in. Maybe just a few upgrades.

Submitted by Dave a cross-country rider from New York City (uptown babey!)

Date Reviewed: March 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

The jamis diablo was second bike. I upgraded from my entry level Nishiki Colorado back in April '95. I still ride it to this day! Harder than ever.
It's the type of bicycle that you keep and upgrade each piece around the frame.
Current setup:
XTR rear derailler, and wheels.
XT Rapidfires and V-Brakes
'96 Judy SL with speedsprings
World Class BB with Sugino Mighty 900 Cranks
Dean Ti seatpost
Control Tech Stem and Avocet Ti saddle
Needless to say this thing JUMPS.
Sadly, It's time to move on...
Next frame ...KHS Team with OX Gold Tubing

Submitted by Timothy White a cross-country rider from Canton, NY

Date Reviewed: January 29, 1998

Bottom Line:

This Jamis is the first real bike I have ever bought. On the advice of my local bike shop (The
Bicycle Post) I purchased the bike. Boy, was he right. This bike does everything a bike should
and more. It handles well, is fairly light, for a steel frame, and the component selection is a
perfect match to this level of bike. I was riding a Specialized Hardrock, a decent bike, but a
huffy when compared to the jamis. The only complaint I have is with the front shock. It isn't
Jamis' fault though. It came with a Rockshox Indy XC. It was fine for the first two or three
months, but then it became anoying. It is just to bouncy. So I worked a swap with the local
bike shop (support your local!!) for a '97 model Manitou SX. Now I am a happy camper.
Kudos to Jamis!!

Help with route from Walnut Creek to Mt Diablo

I am hoping to visit the Bay Area in a few weeks with my CrossCheck. Does anyone have a route from Walnut Creek (off Yngacio Vlly and Marchbanks) to Mt Diablo. I am looking for a nice mix of road and dirt. Preferably, the least sketchy road and the least techy dirt!!Read More »

Public Service Anouncement: Ride your MTB UP Mount Diablo, Watch TOC. It's A Hoot!

Public Service Anouncement: Ride your MTB UP Mount Diablo, Watch Tour of California. It's A Hoot! There were thousands of people up there last year. It was a party. And the riders only went 1/2 way up the mountain. This year, they're going all the way up. That's what I call "all mountain." ... Read More »

TOC Stage 7 @ Mt Diablo. Ride a Mountan Bike And Watch Roadies Abuse Themselves.

Soooo, I think this year's Tour of California at Mount Diablo is offering up the opportunity to view a decisive stage finish and get in decent mountain bike ride, all in the same block of time. Since I have no familiarity with the Mt Diablo area, trails, trailheads, viewing spots, etc., I'm goin ... Read More »

Diablo Ride by BTCEB

The Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay is leading a Gala Ride for all skill levels on Diablo this Saturday. We split into numerous groups to support skill and stamina levels, each lead by an expert local guide. We ride from about 9:30 to around noon. After the ride we hang out for a bit of so ... Read More »

Mt Diablo MTB Race

Registration opens today. 15 and 18 mile loops available and it sounds like both have "trails normally not open to bikes" aka single track. Description: [url=http://www.savemountdiablo.org/activities_events_dirt.html?utm_source=DDR2013+-+Announcement&utm_campaign=ddr_open&utm_medium=email] ... Read More »