Jamis Dakar Bike 1998 or Older

4.48/5 (80 Reviews)

Jamis Dakar

Submitted by Michael Murphy a Weekend Warrior from Mankato, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2006

Strengths:    Lightweight (5.5lb frame), active suspension

Weaknesses:    Slightly flexy, paint is a little brittle,

Bottom Line:
I built this thing because I was working a lot and had money in my pocket; I'd never ridden a dual suspension rig before. Then I let it sit because I figured it was heavier / less efficient than my hardtails.

When I finally weighed it, it was 26.4 lbs... same as my hardtail. Shocking. Then I started riding it on the more agressive trails around here. The suspension aids in climbing and descending (more with descending) and there's really no weight penalty. I run the Cane Creek air shock pretty stiff. I can float over rougher stuff that I stuttered on with my hardtail.

The newer Dakar frames are two or three pounds heavier. For someone who is a finesse rider / lighter weight person, this frame is sweet. I wouldn't recommend an Easton Elite frame like this for a hammerhead or heavier rider.

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Kato

Purchased At:   frame only

Bike Setup:   17 inch frame RockShox Judy XC long travel, '98 Deore XT brake levers, brakes, rear hub, 9speed Deore XT cranks, bb, shifters, cassette, derailleurs, Icon bar and 90mm stem, Orbit DL headset, Bontrager post, Selle Italia Flite Ti saddle, Bontrager Red label / blue label rims, Trek System 3 front hub, IRC Mythos XC 1.9 tires, Coda SPD pedals, Titec L bend bar ends.

Submitted by Fred Sled a Weekend Warrior from Spawn Ranch, CA

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2005

Strengths:    Light, fast, low center of gravity, the best suspension setup for all around trail riding.

Weaknesses:    The rear triangle was built a little out of alignment, I would have rather had bearings vs. bushings for suspension pivot points.

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent all around bike, my bike weighs exactly 27 pounds with slimed tubes. It climbs excellent, and decends the same. I feel very confident with the balance and low center of gravity. With the fork I am using the bike has a lower bottom bracket height than most bikes, I can climb the trials many people walk their bikes up. The seat tube and head tube angle make this bike steer and handle like a BMX, I like that feel so I went with a short stem, and a riser bar. It bunny hops and jumps excellent. Short of hucking off loading docks, there isn't much this bike can't do setup right. I like the feel of this bike so much, I'm buying a Dakar XLT frame to build into a 5" travel bike that can handle bigger stuff. The top of the line XLT frame goes for $529.00 new, a 5" travel frame with this quality of suspension is an amazing value.

Favorite Trail:   The sidewalk

Purchased At:   SuperGo

Similar Products Used:   Foes, GT, Diamondback, Mongoose, Motiv, KHS, Chumba

Bike Setup:   XT Groupo W/ V-brakes, Easton carbon bars and post, White Industries tracker hubs, butted spokes on X517 wheels. Panaracer XC pro's, RS SID XC fork, Flight deck computer, Ruffian grips, Azonic ORC stem. Odyssey mtb pedals.

Submitted by Zak a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2002

Strengths:    Smooth as silk, great styling, pleanty of frame stiffness, amazingly durable, extremely light-weight.

Weaknesses:    Cane Creek AD-8 rear shock was a dud. Bad O-rings around bushings, paint chips like crazy (the bike includes a jar of touch-up paint!)

Bottom Line:
Bottom line, this is a FANTASTIC bike. I built it from the frame-up, which accounts for the high price, but it was worth every penny. This bike has for the past several years been my primary ride. My other bike is a 1996 vintage Trek 7000 with similar upgrades. The Jamis handles bumps beautifully. It's smooth, it's reliable, and when people don't just look at it... they stare. I've had dozens of people compliment the bike over the years and there's no way in hell I'd ever get rid of it. I took the bike up to Whistler in British Columbia last year and it excelled on the downhills. As far as cross-country on this bike is concerned: 20 miles on the Jamis feels like 10 miles on the Trek. The bike climbs beautifully, the bob is minimal and it wants to hop around like a wild pony, but it never gets out of control. Truly an amazing machine, and my standards are VERY HIGH.

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Schwinn

Bike Setup:   1997 Jamis Dakar frame, XT drivetrain, XT hollowtech crank, LX breaks, mavic 517 ceramic rims, Manitou SX front fork, Bontrager kevlar tires, specialized "hemorrhoid-saver" seat, Cane Creek AD-12 rear shock

Submitted by a Cross Country Rider from australia

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2001

Strengths:    pretty light,not too bouncy,nice feel

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
found 15 frames in the back of a warehouse in Taiwan,and bought them all for a song.I'm now converted from a die hard hardtail upbringing.You can really boof into these things without bouncing all over the place,but they smooth things out nicely when you want it. The frames are not the latest whizz bang hi tech toys on the market,but they really work.I use mine for everything and it loves it.-Excellent all rounder-You won me Jamis

Favorite Trail:   everywhere

Purchased At:   a Taiwan warehouse

Similar Products Used:   giant xtc,manatou,some cheapies

Bike Setup:   avid discs,judy sl's',xtr dr's and shifters,specialized crank

Submitted by Tuck a Cross Country Rider from Utah

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2001

Strengths:    for its age, this bike couldn't have been better. It was the red one with Easton Elite tubing and the cane creek shock. I looked at everything from $2g-2500 and I couldn't find anything more attractive. It was lighter out of the box than most more expensive bikes and it wasn't noisy and heavy like a GT LTS and it wasn't stupid like a Y-bike. This bike worked!!!! its climbing traction was awesome it railed on the singletrack

Weaknesses:    a little flexy after a while, although I am 190+ I had to replace the cane creek a couple of times, its ok they sent me a better one each time

Bottom Line:
I was just being lazy and figured I'd browse good old mtbr, I figured I'd look and see what people had to say about the bike that truly I will never forget. What can I say, after 4 seasons it got a bit squirrely and just tired. I replaced the bushings numerous times but its reliabilty was becoming an issue. I loved this bike and wish that Jamis still made the same one. I thought about buying another one through mail order closeouts but figured it was time for some new technolgy. Unfortunately I finally gave it up for a bike I am really unhappy with. I got a smokin smokin deal on a Specialized Enduro frame with a z1. Talk about an unresponsive heavy high center of gravity low bottom bracket mistake. It was good going down the hills but thats it. I really miss my Jamis but I just moved back east and I'm getting back to the roots of it all with a new Hardtail. I can't say enough about the Dakar though what an amazing epic ride trailbike. Those of you who have one know exactly what I'm talking about. Sometimes I would just catch myself staring at it and smile.

Favorite Trail:   when I'm ridin w/ bros

Price Paid:    $1999.00

Purchased At:   Wild Rose Cycles

Similar Products Used:   a couple c-dale hardtails, specialized Enduro, soon a tomac scandium!!

Bike Setup:   Originally stock with a a couple of upgrades. I then replaced the things when they needed it.... Caramba cranks broke but everything else that was replaced needed it solely because it was time. It finally had some mavic 517 ceramics riser bars xt drivetrain.... whatever worked. this bike ruled. nice and light and not stupid.

Submitted by Eric Merchant a Cross Country Rider from Modesto, CA

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2001

Strengths:    Great frame, good flexibility and sturdy as hell.

Weaknesses:    I had to rebuild the AD10 but that's to be expected with that particular rear shock.

Bottom Line:
For the buck - this bike rocks. Great for very technical single track riding, and can handle pretty tough downhill as well, I pounded the hell out of it at a local ski area last summer and it held up killer. I may change out the rear shock if I does not make it through this season, but other than that I can't find anything else worng with the whole package.

Favorite Trail:   The Flume

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Fisher

Bike Setup:   Noleen 100's for the front suspension, Deore LX all the way around. Titec stem, azonic bars - great setup

Submitted by chris muhr a Cross Country Rider from Fruita, Colorado

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2001

Strengths:    Light weight, great geometry for cross country and tight singletrack riding

Weaknesses:    AD 8 and AD 10 shocks both needed rebuilding and/or replacement and I broke one of the Caramba Cranks in half.

Bottom Line:
Although I've had some rear shock problems, and a stock crank which broke in half, I think the Dakar is one of the best setups out there for technical singletrack. Our riding here consists largely of tight, ledgey(is that a word?)singletrack that frequently breaks some of the best bikes and components on the planet. Overall the Jamis Dakar has been an excellent bike and their service has been very good (I haven't had to buy a new rear shock, I just wanted a new type). Anyway, I keep sinking more money into better and newer components because the new bikes out there don't seem to be as light or as well adapted to our riding as the good old Dakar. Happy Trails!!!

Favorite Trail:   Mack Ridge

Purchased At:   Bicycle Outfitters

Similar Products Used:   Proflex

Bike Setup:   Everything has been replaced with lighter or more durable products with the exception of the fork, stem, and seatpost. I replaced the grip shift with rapid fire XT for more precise shifting and have replaced both the stock wheels and some custom builts with Mavic 517's which are performing fine.
Replaced the Cane Creek shocks with another brand that will hopefully be more durable.

Submitted by Richard Hart a Cross Country Rider from Novato, CA

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2000

Strengths:    Love the bike - I'm pretty light so I like it's flex adjustability

Weaknesses:    Backed up by pathetic customer support. I've broken the "replacable" dropout and no shops in my area have a replacement. I emailed them about getting another and got a terse response - "go to a dealer" Thanks guys...You'd think they'd be a little more helpful after I poured almost a month's salary into their company.

Bottom Line:
Great bike, bad karma

Favorite Trail:   Storm Mountain

Bike Setup:   XT/XTR/Judy

Submitted by Jay a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2000

Strengths:    Light
Nice Looking
Inexpensive

Weaknesses:    Pivot problems

Bottom Line:
I have owned two different Jamis frames. I prefer the '97 rendition; however, the newer frames are quite good too. I like the post '98 edition's horst type linkage as oppossed to the pre '98 edition's seatstay pivot. However, the '97 and older were much lighter. I like both bikes.

These bikes are no Intense Tracers or other fancy bikes, but for a third the money they have 80% the performance. Plus, you can buy new ones while that 2k Ellsworth is all beat to crap after riding it too long (who wants to sell a 2k frame for cheap due to damage?).

I am a Jamis fan! I have found their customer service fine. A guy I know had a '97 frame with a tiny crack due to incessant downhilling he got warranted when they should have laughed at him. They cover people.

The pivots are cheap when they go bad, but these bikes can have pivots problems. They are easy to replace.

They are good bikes at a great price.

Favorite Trail:   Ape Canyon

Similar Products Used:   '98 Dakar freeride
'97 Dakar Cross Country

Bike Setup:   Freeride: Z1, XT, Vanilla RX
Cross Country: SID, Cane Creek

Submitted by Ray Kerr a Weekend Warrior from Parker, Colorado

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2000

Strengths:    Light weight, design, ride, RED paint

Weaknesses:    Paint chips too easily

Bottom Line:
This bike has replaced my aluminum HT. I was looking for a lightweight FS that wouldn't break the bank (yeah, right... boys and their toys). The best way to describe the ride is SWEET. My kidneys and other internal organs love it. I'm enough of a retro-grouch to appreciate the conventional front triangle. The real down tube is a plus as I sometimes (actually quite a bit) pull a Tag-a-long with requisite eight year old. It provides a stable and predictable ride. Love the RED paint!!! All in all I'd recommend this to anyone that wants to build a quality XC/Trail bike and that doesn't want/need all the Buck Rogers looks of many of the current crop of frames. Oh, yeah, for you non-believers... I weigh in at 220 and the frame can take it...

Bike Setup:   XT 8-speed drive train, Avid AR 50 w/ 2.0 levers, Truvativ FireX SL cranks, Richey pedals, Mustang rims w/ Panaracer FireXC Pros and 97 Answer SX (soon to be 99 X-Vert)Forks

Submitted by allen a Cross Country Rider from ral, n.c.

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2000

Strengths:    great geometry, light easton elite tubing, cane creek ad-8 with 3.5" of travel and low cost of frame set

Weaknesses:    soft paint

Bottom Line:
i got this frame set for $475. decked it out myself, and with a 4" bomber on it, it still wieghs less than 27 lbs. this bike is the s**t. i wanted to wait several months before i reviewed this frame. now that i've ridden it, i can say that together with it's light weight and strong frame design, i'll be riding this sweet machine for a while.

Favorite Trail:   dunn rd.