Iron Horse ARS 700 Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.15/5 (27 Reviews)

Iron Horse ARS 700 Bike

Submitted by Scott Simpson a Cross Country Rider from Sanford, Florida, USA

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2006

Strengths:    The frame. I don't know why anyone would slam a bike company for their components failing after 6+ years. I replace mine every 1-2 depending. This frame is among the best.

Weaknesses:    Well, I have not found or ecountered any. I ride tight & technical single track and this thing handles like I am on rails. My friends always comment on how nimble this set up is.

Bottom Line:
This is the end of the line for me as far as a hardtail goes. I will just continue to upgrade compnents and keep this one until I am shopping for wheel chairs. I don't even care if I can't join the disc revolution. I am a heavy rider and take this bike on lots of urban assaults with hits and drops. She has seen mountain trails and floridas worst sandy bottoms and muck swamps with roots jutting out all over. Not one single stress mark or fracture. If you are lucky enough to find one, DO IT!

Favorite Trail:   Ocala's threesome

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8500 (yuk) and a sweet schwinn frame that I still have on the wall of fame.

Bike Setup:   My meaty, light, and tight Iron Horse, Rockshok, full XT, raceface, chris king, ringle hubs/mavic D521, avid.

Submitted by NFG NFG a Racer from Rhode Island

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2002

Strengths:    This bike flew on the downhills. Had a very stiff rear triangle. Replacable rear derailler hanger (I put that to use quite a few times). Low top tube which was good for standover clearence. The BB height was pretty high for most bikes I've tried. It was great for anything technical.

Weaknesses:    Twitchy handling. Not such a good climber. The stock parts all failed (this was a 1996). The rear end was stiff but not down at the bottom bracket which made it a bad sprinter. The frame (though butted) is not well tuned.

Bottom Line:
I would recomend any Iron Horse hardtail to someone who wants a bike to be predictable in rough terrain. The Iron horse handled great on descents, rock gardens, jumps and drops and anything hairy (as far a hardtail goes). I think a newer Iron Horse like the Stout would be great for dual slalom racing, especially if they have made it a better sprinter. However, if you're looking for a bike for XC racing the Ars 700 I had is not the best choice.

Favorite Trail:   Big River, Arcadia, Lincoln Woods, Foxboro

Purchased At:   Bald Hill Bikes (they're gone)

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback Zetec 2.1 ('97), Litespeed Pisgah ('01), Litespeed Lookout Mountain ('01), Tomac Buckshot ('02), Jamis Komodo ('01), Voodoo Bokor ('97), Gary Fisher 29 ('02)... I've tried a bunch of bikes

Bike Setup:   I've riden the bike for five years and the only original part left is the frame. It originaly had a Q21 fork which died, now it has an 80mm travel manitou. A fork with a stroke of 80mm+ will take out some of the front end twitchiness. A seatpost shock will help you cope with the rear triangle's stiffness which really beats you up.

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Michigan

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2002

Strengths:    I bought this bike to replace a Scott Racing steel hardtail that I had been riding for years. The shop was great (although I'm not sure if they are still in business). Took awhile to get used to the stiffness of the aluminum, but is a small price to pay for strength. I love the geometry: flies on the downhill and just burns on the ups.

Weaknesses:    The only complaint was the Grip Shift 800 that came stock and the relatively weak compnents. The frame is the best and most important part!~

Bottom Line:
I love this bike! The next step is going to be a Ginat AC Air. I can't say enough about my Iron Horse!

Favorite Trail:   Bruno's Run

Purchased At:   The Beach Front

Similar Products Used:   I've ridden plenty of other bikes...while working at shops, but have not found a hardtail that compares. Also have Cannondale, yet the wife gets that one.

Bike Setup:   XT V-Brake Levers and Calipers, Azonic Double Wall bar, LX 8 speed shifters, Marzzochi Z.2 Atom Bomb, XT front and rear derail., Thudbuster suspension seat post, Mavic rims, IRC Mythos and Notos Kevlar treads, Time ATAC Alum pedals, etc

Submitted by jay a Downhiller from Archbald Pa

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2002

Strengths:    Very rigid frame, also pretty light.

Weaknesses:    Shifters that came on it were very poor, it is purple

Bottom Line:
Dollar for dollar the best bike I have ever owned, consider I only paid 50 dollars. It feels very comfortable, and it survived a serious beating. I can keep up with most of the people i ride with who use brand new full suspension bikes. If you can find one around at a decent price, pick it up.

Favorite Trail:   Roth Rock State forest

Purchased At:   from a friend

Similar Products Used:   P3

Submitted by Shaun Cameron a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver,BC,Canada

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2001

Strengths:    It was easy to say that the Iron peice of steel that was riding underneath my legs,had "balls" os steel. I found that even though that I'm a hard rider and enjoy the in and out's of the country,It did it's job.

Weaknesses:    I would say that the only weakness that is here is, that it has some wieght behind it.

Bottom Line:
The bottem line I give The Ironathe best ratting. Not having a line of trail bike's in my garage,I give the Iron 10-out-of-10.

Favorite Trail:   Burnaby Mountian/Koutney's

Purchased At:   Friend

Similar Products Used:   Other Mountian Bike's in and around Vancouver.

Bike Setup:   I't was nice to have a new tire setting on the bike having it for a while, I find that it is a lot easy to take the time and find out what kind(s) of tire's are best ridden on the Country side.

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from Ky.

Date Reviewed: April 6, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have a Iron Horse ARS 1000, it is a great bike, not very well known were I live but it is respected by all riders. They all compliment the bike on its good looks and light feel. I have put this bike through 2 years of abuse and it is still as solid as the day I bought it. I believe Iron Horse to be the bike company of the future, throw away the overpriced Cannondales and Treks and buy a mans bike. I highly recommend the new ARS 9.0 and ARS team edition bikes for all serious riders.

2 Years

Submitted by Gerry a weekend warrior from Baltimore

Date Reviewed: January 21, 1999

Bottom Line:

I am a weekend warrior who tries to ride as much as I can....When I was new to the sport of mountain biking, I got my self a decent chromoly bike Trek.
The more I got into the sport, I realize the importance of a lighter and better
performance bikes. I went to several dealers and tested several popular named bikes. Considering the performance (impt. criteria)and Price (2nd impt. criteria), I decided to purchase the Iron Horse ARs (alloy). Comparing the ride and performance, I have never been happier in my life. I have been using this bike for 2yrs now and I am not switching unless it will be another Iron horse...of course a step above this model....I know there are other bikes better than the one I have but one thing for sure I will have to pay 2X the price just to find the same feel...I love my Iron Horse!!!!

Submitted by BAAL a cross-country rider from Canberra, Australia

Date Reviewed: November 23, 1998

Bottom Line:

Well what can I say. This Iron Horse is a beast, other cyclist can only stop in respect as I approach. Me and my bike, we meld together like sweet cheese. She wasn't too expensive either, for what you get it was a bargain. The ozy bush is rough & rugged.... not that it worries ME anymore.(As for Pauls review at the top of the page, MATE YA MISSING POINT OF BIKE RIDING & I'd like to see your 'slightly used motorcycle' make it through a mountain with no roads!)

Submitted by Patrick a weekend warrior from La Quinta, CA

Date Reviewed: October 30, 1998

Bottom Line:

I just purchased a 1998 ARS 6.8 with STXRC Components,Manitou Spyder Shocks etc... The Bike was regularly $1000, marked down to $699 then put on clearance for $599 and I got the salesman to give me an extra 10% off. So for $540 this is the greatest bike I have seen. I spent the last three weeks educating myself on what was out there to purchase including a Cannondale F700 for $899. I just couldn't justify the extra $350. So far this bike has been incredible and I feel like I didn't break the bank. (Three kids you know) Bang for the buck these Ironhorse bikes a great deal.

Submitted by cpmguy a weekend warrior from NYC

Date Reviewed: October 10, 1998

Bottom Line:

I'd like to send a shout-out to mbtr.com and everyone here for posting their thoughts. I was all set to go buy a '98 ARS 700 (for 20% off retail), but after reading about the non-responsiveness of the factory in replacement parts, shops stopping the sales of IH, no new FL phone number, and their web site down; I got nervous and will optpt for the Cannondale '98 F900 (discounted to $899) now. I'm sure the IH is a nice bike, but I need to know that the factory and bike shop will be around for the next few years to honor the warranty. Sorry Iron Horse.

Submitted by STEVE JOYCE a cross-country rider from MASSACHUSETTS

Date Reviewed: October 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

I OWN AN ARS THAT I RECENTLY PURCHASED AND I HAVE TO SAY THAT SO FAR I AM PLEASED WITH ITS PERFORMANCE. THE FRAME IS NICE AND STIFFAND THE COMPONENTS ARE WELL CHOSEN, THE AREAS THAT IRON HORSE HAS KEPT THE PRICE DOWN ARE EASILY UPGRADABLE...SUCH AS THE WHEELS....I'M NOT TO FOND OF SUN RIMS FROM MY BMX RACING DAYS LONG AGO. THE ONLY NEGATIVE THING I CAN SAY IS THE PAINT CHIPS EASILY BUT IF THATS THE ONLY THING.....WHO CARES THIS AIN'T A FASHION SHOW!!!

Submitted by SAM GREENMAN a downhiller from AMITYVILLE, NY

Date Reviewed: September 25, 1998

Bottom Line:

TO ANYBODY THAT HAS AN IRON HORSE BIKE: IF YOU EVER HAVE A PROBLEM WITH YOUR BIKE THAT YOUR LOCAL DEALER CAN NOT HANDLE CONTACT ME (SAM GREENMAN - PRODUCT MANAGER) AT 1-800-645-5477. WE DO STOCK WARRANTY PARTS, AND OFFER HELP IN A TIMELY FASHION, EXCEPT TO DISGRUNTLED FORMER EMPLOYEES (BRYAN IN LONG ISLAND). CHECK OUT THE 1999 IRON HORSE BIKES AT WWW.IRONHORSEBIKES.COM

Submitted by BRYAN a weekend warrior from LONG ISLAND,NEW YORK

Date Reviewed: June 25, 1998

Bottom Line:

THE PROBLEMS THAT THE RIDERS ARE HAVING WITH GETTING REPLACEMENT PARTS IS BECAUSE THE COMPANY DOES NOT STOCK WARRANTY PARTS. WHEN A RIDER REQUESTS A DROPOUT REPLACEMENT THE COMPANY THEN CONTACTS THE FACTORY IN TAIWAN FOR THE PART. THAT IS WHY IT TAKES SO LONG FOR THEM TO GET THE PART. THE COMPANY DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THE CUSTOMERS AFTER THEY PURCHASE THE BIKES. ALSO BEWARE IF YOU HAVE AN ALUMINUM BMX BIEK BECAUSE THEY HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO CRACK AT THE HEAD TUBES. IF YOU HAVE ONE OF THESE OR AN ARS 600/680 BIKE CHECK THE HEADTUBES FOR CRACKS OFTEN.

Submitted by Ryan a weekend warrior from Bismarck, North Dakota

Date Reviewed: June 19, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have a 96 MT 100 I bought two years ago. It's a great bike, I've added everything to make custom such as: spedometer, Spin three spoke wheels($350), two bottles, custom seat, carry bag, side bars, clock, and toe clips. The only problem I have with it is when I ride off-road, mud gets clogged between the forks and the tires. It'd be better if it had a little wider forks. It's also a great bike for ridding distance. Last summer I put on 1,465 miles. All in all, a great bike.

Submitted by Fraser a weekend warrior from Toronto, Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: May 20, 1998

Bottom Line:

Well, I don't ride the 800 frame, I couldn't afford it so I boucgt the good old Mt 100 racer series and slowly decked it out over the past year. It is a graeat bike and can easily adapt to the many add-ons I have given it. It doesn't rank up there with Specialized and ProFlex, but for a reasonably cheap all purpose mountain bike, it fits the bill