Huffy empty Bike 1998 or Older

3.56/5 (36 Reviews)

Submitted by mimi a Weekend Warrior from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2011

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Brakes don't work!

Bottom Line:
I purchased a Huffy bike (cruiser) a few months ago, and the FIRST time I used it the brakes failed in a down hill and I ended up in the emergency room with second-degree burns all over my leg and arm. I contacted Huffy to make them aware of the defective product and they did not even take responsibility for it. Stay away from these bikes!!!

Submitted by Michael Bise a Racer from Oro Valley AZ USA

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2011

Strengths:    Solid frame, simple design, highly exchangeable parts, and compatible with most modern parts

Had it since 1998, I have all the original parts, speed is MIND BLOWING, greece the crank, use the gears, even with old tires I get mine up to 35+

I have to say out of all the vehicles I have tested the Huffy back water is by far

the toughest and fastest huffy made, sure it needs care, a good garage, and a responsible owner, but keep her oiled she'll outlast you garenteed

another thing I have never lost a single race, even against modern high end tourist bikes

Weaknesses:    starts out with cheap tires, low grade rubber brake pads, and has a habit of losing power when hit by headwind, but tires and brake pads are a dine a dozen

Bottom Line:
Probably one of the most underrated mountain bike ever produced, reliability is almost military standard, glossy black coat give a sharp appearance, and its old faithful, highly recommended

Favorite Trail:   Earth

Purchased At:   Kmart

Similar Products Used:   Huffy Dakota, Trey Antilope, Huffy Supra, Huffy S-series (backwater prototype)

Bike Setup:   Shimono everything, solid steel frame

Submitted by BLT a Weekend Warrior from Renton, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2010

Strengths:    This thing has survived 12 YES 12 years of alternate abuse and neglect, and it still works great!

Weaknesses:    the original saddle died after 10 years, and overall it is pretty heavy

Bottom Line:
My family was given a set of these bikes (my dad manufactured the packaging) in 1998. I still ride mine.

Favorite Trail:   everywhere

Purchased At:   distributor

Similar Products Used:   pick a dept. store bike and I have tried it

Bike Setup:   shimano

Submitted by unluckey_underdog a Cross Country Rider from pine bluff

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2010

Strengths:    no strengths what so ever.

Weaknesses:    i found it in a junkyard now i know why it was there.

Bottom Line:
i would say it was a kids bike but i wouldnt let a kid around the crap on wheels.

Favorite Trail:   the tram

Purchased At:   found in junkyard

Similar Products Used:   none.

Bike Setup:   none

Submitted by Elijah1982 a Cross Country Rider from Topeka, KS, USA

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2010

Strengths:    A Huffy Eschelon 18 Speed, I paid nothing for my Huffy, but spent around 50 to 75 dollars to fix, which was a waste considering the sh@@@y bike shop the Recycler in Lawrence, KS. It has a solid frame and is made in the USA (strenghtness or weakness?).

Weaknesses:    The brakes were deadly to rely on. Whether on the trail or on the road this bike tried to kill me.

Bottom Line:
I honestly cannot suggest you put much money into your Huffy unless you love it, as I do. I cannot see myself investing any more money into this bike. It seems too dang expensive to fix than to keep my newest bikes going. I hate to say this, because this was my first working adult bike since I started riding again. I have had numerous problems with it and snotty bike shop kids telling me to buy something new.
If you can find a used (Specialized) at a reasonable price, even if needs repair, do it. I am impressed by the quality of my old Specialized hard-tail (no suspension)and two with front suspension. I have paid a lot for three of these, but they are everlasting. Please go with V-brakes if you upgrade.

Favorite Trail:   Noth Lawrence MTB Trail

Similar Products Used:   Giant Rincon (with God-awful cantilever brakes) also tried to kill me, Specialized (a little newer and better) with V-brakes. My most reliable hard-tail and another that I don't get to ride often.

Bike Setup:   The Huffy is pretty much stock, I was a newby and paid some jerk to fix it up in Lawrence (called The Recycler) they made my already bad rims worse.

Submitted by George a Racer from Dallas

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2007

Strengths:    Whats a strength?

Weaknesses:    Oh where to start
18 speed? My road bike's 20 and has only two front chain rings.
Only fake suspension
Tires pop off rim shifters slip
break levers bend, then break

Bottom Line:
You get what you pay for

Purchased At:   TARGET

Similar Products Used:   Yeti AS-R SL Carbon with juicy carbon, XT/XTR, XT cranks Monkeylight XC bar, Maxxis rubber, Fox F100RLC, Chris King headset, Mavic crossride, and some other high end stuff

Bike Setup:   Plastic Crap
YAY

Submitted by Jake a Weekend Warrior from Sarcoxie

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2005

Strengths:    Tough frame
Somewhat light for an all steel bike

Weaknesses:    No suspension
Bad shifters
Weak cranks
Stem angle
Cheap Tires

Bottom Line:
I just read another review in honor of a Huffy Scout, so I thought I would do the same. I still ride mine every now and then, and it has been about the toughest Wal-Mart bike I have ever seen. Hats off to Huffy on this one.

Favorite Trail:   Devil's Den

Purchased At:   Wally World in 1996

Similar Products Used:   Trek 6000 (Really no comparison, but it is another mtn. bike)

Bike Setup:   Stock, except for my sudden urge to update the bike a little! I just put a new UNO stem and new Tectro V-brakes on it. Not too long after I bought it way back when I had to put new rims on it due to the beating I put on the stock junky ones. I have also put on my Trek's old Botrager tires, which improve the traction a ton.

Submitted by Alex franzese a Cross Country Rider from camano is washington U.S.A

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2003

Strengths:    nothing. peice of dung

Weaknesses:    everything.i was riding down the hill and the brakes went out. that was my first day riding it!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
peice of crap! peice of crap! peice of crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! P.s parents,unless you want your kids dead dont buy any department store bike!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   death valley

Purchased At:   kmart

Similar Products Used:   nothing compares to this peicer

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Ron from austin

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2003

Strengths:    Longevity, shimano components

Weaknesses:    stock freewheel, stock seatpost, crank

Bottom Line:
Well, I finally had to let the Huffy go. It had been enlisted for campus duty, but couldnt pass the test. The 17in. frame couldnt cut it for a 6'1" guy, plus some of the parts started dying. The front hub wouldnt stay tight and the squared holes in the crank started rounding out making the crank arm jiggle. After I replaced the stock seatpost and freewheel to quality parts and before the crank went to crap it was a great beater for campus. Hopefully someone at the pawn shop will find it to be a good bike. It has now been replaced by a Raleigh trail bike and I havent looked back until tonight. This review is dedicated to my 1996 Huffy Scout for its 6.5 years of riding enjoyment. Here's to crappy walmart bikes.

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh, Diamondback

Bike Setup:   have no idea, its gone

Submitted by Mike a Downhiller from Brookline,MA

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2002

Strengths:    Cheap,good value,full susp,headset.

Weaknesses:    Forks,shock,frame,chainset.

Bottom Line:
A good bike for everything except downhill and drops.Forks and shock clunked the second day.If you are a commuter,buy a hardail.This bike is good for anything but extreme riding.
This product is not worth upgrading.
P.S.Any serious downhillers in Boston area?If so,please let me know.

Purchased At:   Ames

Similar Products Used:   Giant,PEUGEOT,GT.

Bike Setup:   All stock

Submitted by Aaron a Weekend Warrior from Austin

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2002

Strengths:    Frame, rims, paint, styling.

Weaknesses:    Rear gear cassette broke a while back which I left broken longer than I needed to due to the fact that I inherited a nice used Diamondback Apex. I guess thats more of a strength in that it allowed me to get a real bike. Also, there is a popping sound which comes from the crank.

Bottom Line:
Its a cheap bike that has needed some work, but its 6 years old. I bought it in 1996 when my previous junker broke in half while I was doin a wheelie, so it has served me well for a while. Its overall a solid bike which is perfect for riding on the street. It is now being passed down to mom since she "thinks its purtee." If you arent going to be jumping a bike off of curbs and riding it hard, a cheapo walmart bike is fine. You get what you pay for and thats why I rate this high because its a good bike for the money. I would probably still be riding it had I not been given my uncle's Diamondback Apex. This introduced me to the world of quality bicycles and I cant go back. Ive outgrown it so I moved on to a nice midgrade bike. As soon as I get some miles on the tires I can rate it so we'll see how that one goes. Bottom line: Huffy makes a damn good piece of crap.

Purchased At:   Wally World

Similar Products Used:   Walmart or Toy R Us junk bikes, DB Apex, 2001 Raleigh M60

Bike Setup:   Stock other than a new rear cassette and aztec brake pads which work really good in the wet.

Submitted by Bill Malora from Springfield NH

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2001

Strengths:    Wow plastic bashguard really works, I never knew a rockring should be weaker than what it protecs (chainrings. At fifty pounds it is good at hitting things, though the tinfoil frame isn't very strong. Great Huffy Parts Dont brake (as long as you don't ride it) Handle bars slip up and down for on the trail adustments. The fake suspension is really ridgid. Plus many other great things about this bike.

Weaknesses:    the "NOT TO BE USE OFF ROAD" sticker on the back of the bike sums it all up.

Bottom Line:
What eles can be said!

Favorite Trail:   any one

Purchased At:   Walmart

Similar Products Used:   Gt I-drive team, Gary Fisher Sugar1, K2 Razorback, Trek Fuel 100, uhhhh well no,I guess nothing compairs to the Huffy

Bike Setup:   various plastic parts

Submitted by T.J. a Cross Country Rider from MANCHESTER IA USA

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2001

Strengths:    VERY DURABLE DOESNT BRAKE
TIRES DONT BEND/POP
PAINT AND DECALS
EASY TO MAINTAIN CONTROL

Weaknesses:    BRAKES
WEIGHT
SIZE OF FRAME

Bottom Line:
THIS BIKE IS FUN TO RIDE MORE THAN IT IS TOO RAMP OR DO STUNTS BECAUSE OF ITS WEIGHT SO IF YOU WANT TO RAMP AND DO STUNTS THIS ISNT THE BIKE FOR YOU BUT IF IT IS JUST TO RIDE THEN GO AHEAD AND BUY IT... I HAVE HAD ONE FOR ALMOST A YEAR AND I HAVE HAD A LOT OF GOOD COMPLIMENTS

Favorite Trail:   AROUND TOWN