GT XR-1000 Bike 1998 or Older

XR-1000

Submitted by agentgrape a Weekend Warrior from ri

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2004

Strengths:    quality innovation

Weaknesses:    none other than the company is not the same company that made this bike

Bottom Line:
i loved this bike it was my favorite ride it could go anywhere.i finally cracked the frame at the seat post tube in 3 places. its so far out of warranty its no use to fix or weld. im worried it will seperate on some nasty rock trails and i will be neutered.this bike did it all climbed well and went down fast i loved keeping up with the hardtail guys on steep rocky climbs and blowing by on the downhills. my favorite thing was saying "playing thru" and passing them in the air going downhill over rock gardens. when it finally took it apart it had a fox talas rlc fork,a 5th element air shock. mavic xl wheels truvatic cranks and the rest was the xtr from the team bike. it weighed 28 lbs but it felt like a feather to me. my bullit weighs 41 lbs and that climbs like a heavy mountain goat. and descends like godzilla on speed. the fox fork played with the frame geometry a little but the high grank clearance was worth it.i really abused this bike on rocky eastcoast rides,the i-drive never had any problems ever. keep it clean amd lubed anything will work well. i will miss this bike alot. but i have moved on to a new love

Bike Setup:   took the parts off a 2001 i-drive team bike

Submitted by David a Racer from Rochester, NY USA

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2001

Strengths:    Component mix !!! Full XTR

Weaknesses:    It's very hard to get parts for now that the "I" Drive is out there

Bottom Line:
This has been my best ride ever, it's a shame that GT is not still supporting the LTS platform. I haven't riden the I drive, but I can't believe that there could be any improvement over this fantastic ride.

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Jeckel / Specialized Pro

Bike Setup:   As it came, Full XTR/ SID SL /Fox Air/ CrossMax and you gotta love the riser bar

Submitted by Ren Beesley a Cross Country Rider from Bountiful, Utah, USA

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2001

Strengths:    Sweet parts build. I have put this bike through the guantlet of abuse. Its held up strond on some rocky downhill. Its taken its hits and dings and crashes. Most of all its very smooth and active in climbing comfort and especially in downhill.

Weaknesses:    Headset and tires suck. The bushing's. I had to upgrade to needle bearing's gave a plusher stiction free ride. Frame will dent and scratch if hit right. Oxidize's comparitavely fast when weathered.

Bottom Line:
Ive looked at all of the new fs frames and I still havent found one worthy of replacing my lts xr 1000. I have preserved the frame by having it professionally polished and then hard anodized clear. Its triked out in polished silver parts and anodized gray xtr. Looks sweet! As for performance I think GT had a good suspension set up and messed up with the heavyweight xcr. The linkage runs trouble free with a needle bearing upgrade, Ive serviced my bearing's once a year and its smooth. Climb's excellent 5lbs heavier than my hardtail but I can climb better in the lts suspension. Would recommend to anyone who could find one.

Favorite Trail:   meuller, bonville-shoreline,utah-mnts

Purchased At:   Bike Board Blade S.L.C

Similar Products Used:   Zaskar Le team same part's build. Anodized blue.

Bike Setup:   Crossmax-rear, hugi240 disk-hub on 317 dt-revo, alloy nips fr, hope xc disk fr, race face bar, kore elite silver stem, thompson post, xtr full, except shifters fr brake, sram halfpipes attack, continental xc 2"re, michellin fr,specialized ergo saddle, icon ends, race face team sl headset, sid fork(would like a marzochi x-fly 100) or 120mm psylo race.

Submitted by ramon a cross-country rider from costa mesa, CA

Date Reviewed: July 13, 1998

Bottom Line:

This bike was just recently released as their latest in ultra-light FS bikes. I love it, from the SID shock to the CrossMax rims to the 6061 Eason tubing to the XTR all around. They say it comes in at 23 lb. but I added Shimano 737 Pedal, Onza bar ends (hey, a guy's gotta climb), a cateye (wired) computer, two bottle cages, and regular tubes (I blew out the ultralights they came with), and it now weighs a whopping 24.5 lbs.. Not a bad little number. One thing I plan on getting in the future is the CrossMax Disc brake for the front. I think it would help smoothen out things up front. Nothing wrong with the v-brake there, but I've already spoiled myself this far, so....BTW, I also have another review of this bike in the LTS section.